JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 54 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 163Likes

post #1591 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 103
You have the original disc so you look at the cover perhaps I am missing something though. There is http://www.chapterdb.org but i think it is film only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 12:04 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Once you have the episode lengths - where do you cross reference to to find out what # episode = what length? I looked on TV.com, tvguide.com and wikipedia for Battlestar galactica- and didn't the exact runtimes to cross reference
When playing the original disc on my Bluray player, the season number and episode number are known as each episode is played, so I just take notes that include the disc #, season #, epsiode #, and the play time of the episode. Then I go back to JRiver and update the season and episode #'s accordingly.
post #1593 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 16
yep, I have the discs - but I don't see the episode lengths.
for example - Battlestar Galactica Box set - just includes a booklet which lists the episodes along with a description - but not the exact lengths to match to the file sizes.
Also re: movies- the chapterdb.org (cool site) - only seems to have the chapters of the movies, but not a description of the special features files
post #1594 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
great
post #1595 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
When playing the original disc on my Bluray player, the season number and episode number are known as each episode is played, so I just take notes that include the disc #, season #, epsiode #, and the play time of the episode. Then I go back to JRiver and update the season and episode #'s accordingly.
gotcha - got to play each disc to get the info - seems like a big PITA - but it'll work.
thx
post #1596 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 1736
JRiver 19

I know this is an easy question but it's just not for me.

I have my music on a dedicated laptop out in the office.

I have a lap top that I want to steam the music through to feed an Oppo105 out in the living room

I did this once before and got it half right, I'd like to get it correct this time.

Can someone help me walk through this?

I imagine step one is simply to download JRiver 19 onto the laptop.

As I recal this was a nightmare with me having gotten all kinds of keys to enter

step one?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1597 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 126
At the highest level:
1) Download Jriver
2) Install it on your computer
3) Activate using your license key if you have it
4) Import media files (music, videos, etc.) into JRiver
5) Test all of this on your computer. Make sure things work. Is all your media there? Can you play it?
6) Enable the Media Network (DLNA Server)
7) Turn off all transcoding for audio and video, as described here:
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
8) Turn on your Oppo and select the "Network" Icon
9) Find your DLNA server on the list and select it.
10) If it asks for a password, then you did not find your DLNA server, you found the SMB file server implementation. Try the "other" entry with the same name and the different icon.
11) Browse to some of your media and try playing it.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #1598 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
JRiver 19

I know this is an easy question but it's just not for me.

I have my music on a dedicated laptop out in the office.

I have a lap top that I want to steam the music through to feed an Oppo105 out in the living room

I did this once before and got it half right, I'd like to get it correct this time.

Can someone help me walk through this?

I imagine step one is simply to download JRiver 19 onto the laptop.

As I recal this was a nightmare with me having gotten all kinds of keys to enter

step one?
The laptop with the music on it will be your "Server".
1) Go to Tools>Options>Media Network and check the box "Use Media Network to share this Library ...", follow the steps and that will generate an "Access Key".
2) Go to the other Laptop (your Client), and open/expand the "Playing Now" window (upper left corner), click on "Add Library", name it (such as "Server Library) and enter the Access Key.

That is the basic steps. You should already have a network setup/available for the two laptops to communicate (share data). The Client will be connected to your Oppo.

Lastly, if you want to be able to play music from the Server at any time without going to the Server, you need to leave it running with Media Server "On". To set the media server to always be on, (on the Server laptop) go to Tools>Options>Windows Startup and select "Run On Windows Startup: Media Server (allows library sharing...)".

Try these steps and post back if you get stuck.
eljr likes this.
post #1599 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
1) Go to Tools>Options>Media Network and check the box "Use Media Network to share this Library ...", follow the steps and that will generate an "Access Key".
2) Go to the other Laptop (your Client), and open/expand the "Playing Now" window (upper left corner), click on "Add Library", name it (such as "Server Library) and enter the Access Key.

That is the basic steps. You should already have a network setup/available for the two laptops to communicate (share data). The Client will be connected to your Oppo.

Lastly, if you want to be able to play music from the Server at any time without going to the Server, you need to leave it running with Media Server "On". To set the media server to always be on, (on the Server laptop) go to Tools>Options>Windows Startup and select "Run On Windows Startup: Media Server (allows library sharing...)".

Try these steps and post back if you get stuck.
wow!

how simple and easy!

when I think of the hell I went through last time....

thank you very much, last time people kept shoving wiki links at me that were in an unbreakable code with what i assume is common terminology for the aficionado

no one ever bothered to tell me that i had to download the same play, 19... that too was beyond frustrating 20, 18 ???? what does the casual guy know (well more than me I guess)

thanks again

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1600 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
At the highest level:
1) Download Jriver
2) Install it on your computer
3) Activate using your license key if you have it
4) Import media files (music, videos, etc.) into JRiver
5) Test all of this on your computer. Make sure things work. Is all your media there? Can you play it?
6) Enable the Media Network (DLNA Server)
7) Turn off all transcoding for audio and video, as described here:
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread
8) Turn on your Oppo and select the "Network" Icon
9) Find your DLNA server on the list and select it.
10) If it asks for a password, then you did not find your DLNA server, you found the SMB file server implementation. Try the "other" entry with the same name and the different icon.
11) Browse to some of your media and try playing it.

I did exactly what Country said above and it all went perfect

Reading what you wrote has me wondering, can I somehow configure my server laptop to feed the files straight my Oppo105 wireless thereby eliminating the second laptop?

post #1601 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

At one point it gave me a menue with differant selections for where the sound was going....

I checked Audiophile Dac rather than DNSL???

No problem?

It plays beautifully

post #1602 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I just took a look, and many episodes have the same length, I don't want to watch part of each episode because it can reveal spoilers
open for other ideas

Seagate Q , I. Also have powerdvd player however it keeps using anydvd to open the disc that is inserted, I would disable anydvd but driver needs it, anyone know how to tell it to not open when using powered?

Thx

Last edited by cgott42; 01-21-2015 at 09:02 PM.
post #1603 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I just took a look, and it SE that many episodes have the same length, I don't want to watch part of each episode because it can reveal spoilers
open for other ideas
Just a thought: if all the episodes you need to name, etc. were copied in order; look at the time stamp on each file. The first would be the 'oldest' and the last the 'newest'. open the directory, sort by date (most OS will also sort by time when sorting by date.)

Just reverse the polarity; it's guaranteed to work!
post #1604 of 1618 Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

That should work.
Also - since I won't be using the blu ray's menu to navigate, and instead clicking on the individual file - can I just rename the actual filename, and put them all in one folder - e.g. Season1, and another folder "season 2", with just the episodes in that folder, and have it show up that way on JRiver.
post #1605 of 1618 Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Yes that's how most have their TV Shows organised.
post #1606 of 1618 Old 01-22-2015, 05:08 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
That should work.
Also - since I won't be using the blu ray's menu to navigate, and instead clicking on the individual file - can I just rename the actual filename, and put them all in one folder - e.g. Season1, and another folder "season 2", with just the episodes in that folder, and have it show up that way on JRiver.
We're talking about ripped DVD's and Blurays here rather than individual MKV/FLV/AVI/etc. files for each episode, correct?

The particles that get created for the individual titles on a Bluray are virtual files - I'm pretty sure there aren't physical files that you can move around to a different folder or rename. I don't believe there's a way to use an imported date/time field to figure out the episode order either as they'll just inherit the date/time of the Bluray that was imported into the library. AFAIK, the only way to figure out the correct order is to go by the duration field (which obviously only works if each episode has a slightly different duration) or watch just enough of the start of each episode and compare it to the episodes on the original Bluray played on a regular Bluray player.

It's pretty much the same deal with DVD's. The advantage with DVD's is that JRiver will play a ripped DVD with full menu support, so there is the option of just watching the episodes just as you would with a normal DVD player. I don't think I've handled breaking out TV episodes from a DVD yet, so I'm not sure what the exact process is for creating particles for them, but I suspect it's pretty similar to the process with Blurays.

I think we would all like to see JRiver add full menu support for Blurays (if it could be done without bringing a whole lot of DRM into JRiver) and/or some sort of online database that has season/episode number lists that could be used to figure out which title is which. But since neither is likely to happen, we're stuck with the options outlined above, unless I've missed some other way to deal with the process. FWIW, I purchased the complete Sopranos series on Bluray on an Amazon black Friday special back in November and went through the process of ripping all the discs, creating particles for each, and figuring out the season and episode numbers for each particle. It took some time and definitely wasn't fun, but it really didn't take all that long and I didn't have to watch enough of any episode during the process to run into any spoilers. For most shows, watching just a few seconds is enough to figure out which is which.
post #1607 of 1618 Old 01-22-2015, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Ooops sorry should have read about the whole issue and resolution, rather than assume you were ripping to individual files.
post #1608 of 1618 Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I didn't have to watch enough of any episode during the process to run into any spoilers. For most shows, watching just a few seconds is enough to figure out which is which.
You'd be surprised. I'm catching up on Parenthood show, and just seeing a second of a future episode of 2 of the characters kissing - spoiled that they get back together. Funny my wife didn't see that , and as we're watching an earlier episode where one is with another partner - my wife says - I guess she's not getting back together with her husband ...
post #1609 of 1618 Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Yes that's how most have their TV Shows organised.
that'll work - thx
post #1610 of 1618 Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Here's my method for ripping TV shows.

I rip using Makemkv. I don't do .iso so this might not be helpful. I just find having individual files easier.

The episodes are NOT ALWAYS in correct order on the disc.

Once the disc is ripped I then put the disc in my stand alone bluray player and take a picture on my phone of the first scene of each episode in the correct order by pausing immediately. Most episodes don't start with a spoiler right away. It is usually a background or something.

Then I go to Standard View in MC. The thumbnail for each episodes that were ripped are usually that first scene.

Then I select all the episodes and rename the season

Next I rename the episode number of each making sure that the thumbnail and picture on my phone match up.

Once each is .mkv has a season and episode number you can look up the episode info online and get the name of the episode and a summary.

I have tried different methods and found this to be the fastest and most accurate for me.
post #1611 of 1618 Old 01-22-2015, 08:18 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
Here's my method for ripping TV shows.

I rip using Makemkv. I don't do .iso so this might not be helpful. I just find having individual files easier.

The episodes are NOT ALWAYS in correct order on the disc.

Once the disc is ripped I then put the disc in my stand alone bluray player and take a picture on my phone of the first scene of each episode in the correct order by pausing immediately. Most episodes don't start with a spoiler right away. It is usually a background or something.

Then I go to Standard View in MC. The thumbnail for each episodes that were ripped are usually that first scene.

Then I select all the episodes and rename the season

Next I rename the episode number of each making sure that the thumbnail and picture on my phone match up.

Once each is .mkv has a season and episode number you can look up the episode info online and get the name of the episode and a summary.

I have tried different methods and found this to be the fastest and most accurate for me.
Ultimately, that's very similar to what I do except that I've been ripping my Blurays to folder structures (which also allows me to play them on my Oppo players with full menus via a network share). So instead of individual MKV files, I end up with individual particle files. At least with the Sopranos, the thumbnail at the very start of each episode was the same, IIRC, as each one starts with the same intro. After the intro, the first frame is the differentiating factor. Most episodes of the Sopranos had slightly different play times within each disc, so it was fairly easy in that case to just make a list of the play time of each episode. It's obviously going to be a little different from series to series, so the specific technique used will need to be tweaked accordingly.
post #1612 of 1618 Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
You'd be surprised. I'm catching up on Parenthood show, and just seeing a second of a future episode of 2 of the characters kissing - spoiled that they get back together. Funny my wife didn't see that , and as we're watching an earlier episode where one is with another partner - my wife says - I guess she's not getting back together with her husband ...
Unless JRiver comes up with a better solution, there really isn't a better option. If you absolutely must not come across spoilers, then my suggestion is to use a solution, such as a normal Bluray player, that plays the discs with full menus to watch the episodes and not use JRiver for this purpose.
post #1613 of 1618 Old 01-22-2015, 08:27 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Within JRiver, tagging is king. Though it's a good idea to keep your files organized, it really doesn't matter how you have your files arranged in folders. What matters is getting the series, season number, episode number, episode name, episode description, etc. tags set to the correct values. You could set JRiver up to sort items by their file path, but that would still require figuring out which file is which season and episode number and setting the file names accordingly to get the sorting correct. There's really no way around having to go through the process to figure out which particle or file is which episode.
post #1614 of 1618 Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

For a bluray of a TV show - if you don't "particle" it and instead live it as one "movie" in JRiver and click play - will it automatically play the episodes in the correct order?
post #1615 of 1618 Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
For a bluray of a TV show - if you don't "particle" it and instead live it as one "movie" in JRiver and click play - will it automatically play the episodes in the correct order?
no, it plays the longest file first.

FWIW when you actually look at some discs, the chapters are all over the place with no consistent naming convention. In other discs, the mpls names are 0001, 0002, 0003 but this still isn't episode 1,2,3. It's quite annoying to say the least but without bluray menu support, not a lot to be done.
post #1616 of 1618 Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
no, it plays the longest file first.

FWIW when you actually look at some discs, the chapters are all over the place with no consistent naming convention. In other discs, the mpls names are 0001, 0002, 0003 but this still isn't episode 1,2,3. It's quite annoying to say the least but without bluray menu support, not a lot to be done.
It certainly is annoying, and - having mastered a few BDs myself - I can say that it does not have to be this way. While there is a certain level of unintentional disorganization that is the natural result of the inattention or incompetence, the obfuscation of some BDs goes well beyond this. It is almost as if the folks mastering these titles for the studios obfuscate them on purpose.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #1617 of 1618 Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Some amount of it is probably done to make things more difficult for pirates, but I suspect that a lot of it is just the result of just being sloppy. And of course, the intent is that people will play the original disc in an actual Bluray player with full menu support, in which case it really wouldn't matter how the content is written out to the disc.

It just ends up being a PITA for us crazy people who want to organize our media in a more useful manner.
post #1618 of 1618 Old Today, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried having Jriver adjust the aspect ratio and when I right click and select video playback settings|advanced|aspect ratio correction - it only offered options to go from 1.33 to 16x9 display, or 16x9 to 2.34/2.40 display.
But not an option to go from a 2.35/2.40 source to a 16x9 display (I wanted Jriver to do the scaling instead of my projector for use with an A-lens)
How do I do that, I recall that in the prev. version trial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page