JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 55 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 163Likes

post #1621 of 1637 Old 01-26-2015, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala777 View Post
I am a huge fan of SACD and BluRay audio /DVD audio especially when it comes with a .1 signal, is it possible to get this and other multi channel dsd or the like off my computer using this software?
What exactly do you mean by "off my computer"?

As in, rip discs to files ON the PC and then play them back or stream them over the network to a network music player of some kind? Mostly yes - although you might need other tools to help out. (Certainly with SACDs).

Or "erase the files" perhaps? (That would certainly get them "off your computer" ;-)
I am trying to find a easy way to get as much high quality audio to stream to my processor... multi channel is preferred....I am just using ITunes right now through my apple tv and the quality is not great and only 2.0 stereo no .1 LFE signal
I have been hearing about several sites to download 24/96 and higher detailed
I was going to try this software but have been reading that it's very complex to set up properly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1637 Old 01-26-2015, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
I am trying to find a easy way to get as much high quality audio to stream to my processor... multi channel is preferred....I am just using ITunes right now through my apple tv and the quality is not great and only 2.0 stereo no .1 LFE signal
I have been hearing about several sites to download 24/96 and higher detailed
I was going to try this software but have been reading that it's very complex to set up properly
JRMC will work great with pretty much any audio files you can purchase and download. It functions very well as a DLNA server on the network if you have a DLNA player or renderer that you want to use for playing music. Its tagging features and customizability (especially the browsing structure) makes handling larger collections lots easier. Yes, all of this works with surround, as long as the player/renderer supports the files in question. My own setup is as follows:

1) PC Running JRMC and a 12TB RAID array for storing media, including about 500GB of 5.1 flac and DSF audio files and another 500GB of apples lossless files for audio.
2) An Oppo BDP-103 that functions as a renderer
3) A PS3 with custom firmware that lets me rip my SACDs to ISOs, along with some tools to extract tracks as DSF files from the ISOs. (I also have DSF files that were purchased on-line) Almost all of these DSFs/SACDs are multichannel.
4) A few other tools that let me rip 5.1 flacs from DVD-A, DVD-V, BD, and DTS-CD media
5) Gizmo (free - the android companion for JRMC)
6) JRemote (paid - the EXCELLENT iOS companion for JRMC)

My normal usage is to turn on the Oppo and the surround receiver, fire up jRemote on the iPad, and then use it to control JRMC, which then "pushes" media I select to play to the Oppo for playback on the surround system. It all works great.

This is NOT the only way you can use JRMC for 5.1 audio playback. Gizmo can be a good substitute for jRemote if you want to control things from your android phone or tablet. If your network unit has a built-in DLNA browser as well as a renderer, then you can just control things from there too.

Finally - you don't have to use the LAN at all. You can also connect the PC directly to the surround receiver via HDMI and then play the media directly in JRMC, with the audio going to your surround receiver for processing. I do this in my "remote" location (I commute about 250 miles for work every week - and have an apt. in the work location). I use JRMC installed on a Gigabyte BRIX unit with a 1TB mSATA drive installed with a wireless keyboard connected to my surround unit at the apt. I can also use Gizmo/jRemote to control this. This also works great, as long as you configure a few things properly.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #1623 of 1637 Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Ok thanks. ..I have a 105D that I was using as the render....I was contemplating going for either a Krell connect or the psaudio directstream with the network bridge but I'm pretty sure neither of those are capable of multi channel
post #1624 of 1637 Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks. ..I have a 105D that I was using as the render....I was contemplating going for either a Krell connect or the psaudio directstream with the network bridge but I'm pretty sure neither of those are capable of multi channel
The Oppos have fantastic renderer implementations - and they have really stabilized in the last year or so.

Oppo+JRMC+jRemote/Gizmo+good surround system is really a very good, robust, easy-to-use (once you configure things) setup for 5.1 music. If you go this route, feel free to PM me for setup help. I've walked this path a few times now.

Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
post #1625 of 1637 Old 01-26-2015, 06:34 PM

Thanks I will, do you think a windows laptop or mac mini is best for storage and server duties with this software?
post #1626 of 1637 Old 01-26-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks I will, do you think a windows laptop or mac mini is best for storage and server duties with this software?
If you do a Mac Mini then you will want to put windows on bootcamp or run a VM. The mac version of JRMC is not nearly as full-featured or stable as the windows version.

FYI - I run on a Mac Mini with OS X server for my file/mail/dns/dhcp server. The RAID array is a 12TB Thunderbolt array. I then run Windows 8 under VMWare Fusion on that server so I can run JRMC from there. Works great and very-low power - but no the least expensive way to go for most folks. In my case, the OS X server was already a given, so it was the best way for me. But for most folks I would probably recommend an Intel NUC or Gigabyte BRIX (or similar) running windows - with an mSata boot drive and a big USB3 unit for media storage - would require the least power and space and would be more economical than the mac mini. That would let you leave it on all the time, which is VERY convenient if the box is not in the same room with your AV setup. A decent-but-inexpensive windows laptop would also work - as long as it has USB3 so you can connect a decent (at least 2-disk mirrored) RAID setup to it.

post #1627 of 1637 Old 01-26-2015, 06:55 PM
G_S

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have to look into it. Thank you.
post #1628 of 1637 Old 01-26-2015, 06:55 PM

K thanks
post #1629 of 1637 Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi,

When outputing JRMC in 4096 x 2160 32 bits (video settings), does that mean chroma/luma scaling (eg jinc 3 taps) is done for this resolution ?
I want to know if SD --> 4K or HD --> 4K upscaling is possible if we have the hardware to go with.

thx
post #1630 of 1637 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound&Life View Post
Hi,

When outputing JRMC in 4096 x 2160 32 bits (video settings), does that mean chroma/luma scaling (eg jinc 3 taps) is done for this resolution ?
I want to know if SD --> 4K or HD --> 4K upscaling is possible if we have the hardware to go with.

thx
Yes, you will get chroma/luma scaling to whatever resolution you are outputting. If you get the newly released Nvidia GTX 960 you will also get 10-bit output.
post #1631 of 1637 Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Yes, you will get chroma/luma scaling to whatever resolution you are outputting. If you get the newly released Nvidia GTX 960 you will also get 10-bit output.
Thanks for the feedback.
Is the Nvidia GTX 960 enough for the following settings (SD --> UHD and HD --> UHD) ?

Output resolution: 4096x2160

Image downscaling: Catmull-Rom + Anti-Ringing Filter + Scale in Linear Light
Image upscaling - Jinc (3 taps)
Chroma upscaling - NNEDI3 (64 neurons)
Image doubling: always + 64 neurons
post #1632 of 1637 Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Don't think the GTX 960 would be fast enough for those settings. Its still a low-mid-range card afterall, and NNEDI3 64 for 1080p to 2160p is a lot of work.
4K output is still a bit in the land of the unknown, as not many people have screens for that, and considering the GTX 980/970/960 are the first graphics cards to even support HDMI 2.0 so far... not much experience around in the community yet, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Nevcairiel; Yesterday at 09:06 AM.
post #1633 of 1637 Old Today, 04:51 AM

thanks, maybe we have to wait for the next GPU generation.
Whith my current GTX 750, I've lot of droped/delayed frames with the following setup.

Output resolution: 1920x1080

Image downscaling: Catmull-Rom + Anti-Ringing Filter + Scale in Linear Light
Image upscaling - Jinc (3 taps)
Chroma upscaling - NNEDI3 (32 neurons)
Image doubling: always + 32 neurons

As you can see, no UHD neither 64 neurons was set.
So best for me is to keep with Jinc 3 taps for both image/chroma upscale.
post #1634 of 1637 Old Today, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
5) Gizmo (free - the android companion for JRMC)
Gizmo can be a good substitute for jRemote if you want to control things from your android phone or tablet. If your network unit has a built-in DLNA browser as well as a renderer, then you can just control things from there too.
Have you tried "eos" for JRiver playback on Andriod yet? If not give it a try. My problem with Gizmo is it transcodes audio to mp3 instead of streaming the file untouched, which kinda sucks for high res audio. Eos will stream audio untouched. It's not as good as JRemote (yet) and it's not free, but it's worth a couple bucks to the developer to avoid transcoding.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rose.eos&hl=en
post #1635 of 1637 Old Today, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
On another forum I read that when ripping CD's you need to use a bit perfect program like Exact Audio Copy (EAC) or info could be lost.

Use JRivers to then play them.

I have been ripping my CD's using JRiver right into the JRiver library on a lap top, are these inferior rips?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1636 of 1637 Old Today, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
On another forum I read that when ripping CD's you need to use a bit perfect program like Exact Audio Copy (EAC) or info could be lost.

Use JRivers to then play them.

I have been ripping my CD's using JRiver right into the JRiver library on a lap top, are these inferior rips?
JRiver rips bit perfect and performs up to 16 rereads of the disc in Secure mode (default mode) in order to guarantee accurate ripping. No, your rips are not inferior.
post #1637 of 1637 Old Today, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpritchett View Post
Have you tried "eos" for JRiver playback on Andriod yet? If not give it a try. My problem with Gizmo is it transcodes audio to mp3 instead of streaming the file untouched, which kinda sucks for high res audio. Eos will stream audio untouched. It's not as good as JRemote (yet) and it's not free, but it's worth a couple bucks to the developer to avoid transcoding.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rose.eos&hl=en
The manner in which I am recommending the use of Gizmo will result in zero transcoding. I.e. Use gizmo to push media from jRiver to another device. I don't really care about playback ON the phone or tablet. Their sound systems are lousy anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page