JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 56 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 182Likes

post #1651 of 1675 Old 02-09-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 16
2 Questions:
(a) How can I change the name of a series?
(b) Can I set the default audio to use based on filetype?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1675 Old 02-10-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Does JRiver allow me to:
a) define a non-destructive video clip (start/stop points within a larger program stored like a bookmark)
b) define a playlist of such video clips to run in sequence, as in a demo reel

If not JRiver, any other movie player software that can do this?
Thanks!

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #1653 of 1675 Old 02-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Does JRiver allow me to:
a) define a non-destructive video clip (start/stop points within a larger program stored like a bookmark)
b) define a playlist of such video clips to run in sequence, as in a demo reel

If not JRiver, any other movie player software that can do this?
Thanks!
Yes. The first one is the "particle" feature and the second one is just a normal playlist.
post #1654 of 1675 Old 02-10-2015, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
Yes. The first one is the "particle" feature and the second one is just a normal playlist.
Superb! Thanks for the reply.

For some reason, that search term never came to mind!

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #1655 of 1675 Old 02-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm really liking the software program but I'm having some trouble with figuring out which audio to use with which source material. ..I spend alot of time trying different selections to work with other than standard 41khz or 48 kHz Tracks and almost every dsd/dsf track is messed up in some way if I get it to play at all Some soup d as if static is playing over the track others skip horribly....any suggestions?
post #1656 of 1675 Old 02-13-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Make sure you have the most recent version of the program from the jriver.com Download Page.

You can use MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to resample everything to whatever works.
RDHolmes likes this.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #1657 of 1675 Old 02-16-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
I ripped an SACD to my JRiver audio library using JRiver, leaving it to default settings as it were.

On playback the file type is APE.

What exactly is that?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1658 of 1675 Old 02-16-2015, 06:14 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
I ripped an SACD to my JRiver audio library using JRiver, leaving it to default settings as it were.

What exactly is that?
I'd be willing to bet that all you did was rip the CD layer on the SACD. The only way I know to rip the SACD layer involves on older Sony PS3 with SACD support, a certain firmware version, and some software installed to facilitate the ripping process.
eljr and HTPCat like this.
post #1659 of 1675 Old 02-17-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

What exactly is that?
As gsr stated - you did not rip the SACD layer at all using the method you followed. Ripping of the SACD layer is not possible on a standard computer.

As for "what is APE". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey%27s_Audio
APE files are similar to flac in that they are losslessly compressed - so you get the exact same bits as the original media when you play back.

You can change what JRiver uses for an encoder in the settings of the application. (to flac or whatever instead of ape)
eljr likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #1660 of 1675 Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Monkey's Audio (ape) was developed by Matt Ashland, JRiver's Chief Technical Officer, while he was in college. He did it all by himself and it was released prior to FLAC, WMA Lossless, and ALAC!
jriver, dgage and Mike_WI like this.
post #1661 of 1675 Old 02-24-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I installed the trial version of MC20 yesterday and noticed that when trying convert more than 1 file from flac to DSD, the system crashes. i can do 1 at a time but that is tedious. I'm using a macbook pro. any reason why this happens?
post #1662 of 1675 Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb8706 View Post
I installed the trial version of MC20 yesterday and noticed that when trying convert more than 1 file from flac to DSD, the system crashes. i can do 1 at a time but that is tedious. I'm using a macbook pro. any reason why this happens?
Try the latest build found here if you haven't already.

File conversion can only work as fast as your drive can supply the data. With DSD, file conversion may be maxed out at 1 file since it is simultaneously reading/writing large amounts of data.

Why are you converting the files? JRiver can playback DSD as PCM and can convert on the fly when syncing to a handheld device.
post #1663 of 1675 Old 02-24-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

JRiver, Oppo and Tidal

anyway to use JRiver to stream Tidal over to the OPpo105?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1664 of 1675 Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Try the latest build found here if you haven't already.

File conversion can only work as fast as your drive can supply the data. With DSD, file conversion may be maxed out at 1 file since it is simultaneously reading/writing large amounts of data.

Why are you converting the files? JRiver can playback DSD as PCM and can convert on the fly when syncing to a handheld device.
forgive my naiveté but here goes...i really don't understand what you just wrote as i am new to all of this (LOL). i recently heard DSD64 for the first time and loved it. my setup includes a denon 7200 (can do DSD64), Flac files stores on a WD My cloud NAS. as it is right now, i play from the NAS directly thru the receiver without the need for a computer or separate dac. i was primarily interested in JRiver to convert files to DSD and have them stored on my NAS. id really like to play DSD128 but my denon can't do that. so, the more i read, the more i get confused. i don't have the hugest music library so the Sony Hap-z1es seems like a good solution because it can remaster pcm to DSD128 (so I've read) and doesn't require an intermediate computer to function. i also thought i could run DSD128 files thru an oppo 105 but i read mixed reviews about that. not sure but perhaps the oppo HA-1 could function as a pre-amp and it plays up to DSD256, but then again how do you get DSD256 files anyway?

yep, i'm all over the place. but then again I've gotten some awesome feedback from this site. thanks for your input
post #1665 of 1675 Old 02-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
forgive my naiveté but here goes...i really don't understand what you just wrote as i am new to all of this (LOL). i recently heard DSD64 for the first time and loved it. my setup includes a denon 7200 (can do DSD64), Flac files stores on a WD My cloud NAS. as it is right now, i play from the NAS directly thru the receiver without the need for a computer or separate dac. i was primarily interested in JRiver to convert files to DSD and have them stored on my NAS. id really like to play DSD128 but my denon can't do that. so, the more i read, the more i get confused. i don't have the hugest music library so the Sony Hap-z1es seems like a good solution because it can remaster pcm to DSD128 (so I've read) and doesn't require an intermediate computer to function. i also thought i could run DSD128 files thru an oppo 105 but i read mixed reviews about that. not sure but perhaps the oppo HA-1 could function as a pre-amp and it plays up to DSD256, but then again how do you get DSD256 files anyway?

yep, i'm all over the place. but then again I've gotten some awesome feedback from this site. thanks for your input
It is one thing to play stuff that was originally DSD. But converting to DSD from PCM on a home or portable system is rather unlikely to enhance anything.

Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
post #1666 of 1675 Old 02-24-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
It is one thing to play stuff that was originally DSD. But converting to DSD from PCM on a home or portable system is rather unlikely to enhance anything.
so how do I obtain original DSD? is that the problem - that it's scarce? i take it you're not a fan of the sony or mytek.
post #1667 of 1675 Old 02-24-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
so how do I obtain original DSD? is that the problem - that it's scarce? i take it you're not a fan of the sony or mytek.
It has nothing to do with being a fan. If DSD has any benefits, it is because it carries more information than its PCM counterparts. You can't ADD information with a simple file conversion - so converting from say flac to dsd will not be adding information. It will just be putting the same amount of stuff into a bigger bag. It would be as pointless as converting MP3 to FLAC.

Saying that converting a CD to DSD would make the sound better is a bit like the following line of reasoning:

"I have fabulous new bag that can hold 10lbs of chocolate. COOL
Hey! I have the 5lb bag of chocolate. I will just pour its contents into the new bag and it will magically become 10lbs of chocolate."
( and yes - I do believe that having more chocolate is ALWAYS better than having less chocolate. I can't say the same about audio resolution. )

If the album has ever been available in DSD form, then it will either have been released on SACD or will be available for purchase as a DSD download. There are several sources for purchasing downloadable DSD albums on-line. A few of us can rip SACDs to the common DSD-based file formats (DSF, DFF), but that takes special equipment (PS3 with custom firmware...)
gsr and dgage like this.

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 02-24-2015 at 03:05 PM.
post #1668 of 1675 Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
It has nothing to do with being a fan. If DSD has any benefits, it is because it carries more information than its PCM counterparts. You can't ADD information with a simple file conversion - so converting from say flac to dsd will not be adding information. It will just be putting the same amount of stuff into a bigger bag. It would be as pointless as converting MP3 to FLAC.

Saying that converting a CD to DSD would make the sound better is a bit like the following line of reasoning:

"I have fabulous new bag that can hold 10lbs of chocolate. COOL
Hey! I have the 5lb bag of chocolate. I will just pour its contents into the new bag and it will magically become 10lbs of chocolate."

If the album has ever been available in DSD form, then it will either have been released on SACD or will be available for purchase as a DSD download. There are several sources for purchasing downloadable DSD albums on-line. A few of us can rip SACDs to the common DSD-based file formats (DSF, DFF), but that takes special equipment (PS3 with custom firmware...)
once your break down to an analogy about chocolate it became abundantly clear. you had me at chocolate. thanks
dgage likes this.
post #1669 of 1675 Old 02-24-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
once your break down to an analogy about chocolate it became abundantly clear. you had me at chocolate. thanks
Information theory and human perception combine to make a nasty, ugly mess. It is really no wonder that most of us generally don't understand them all that well. But chocolate - we all understand chocolate ;-)
dgage and mjb8706 like this.

post #1670 of 1675 Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Where is song number 1?

When I import my library into JRiver it seems to skip song number 1 on a lot of my albums. I go to play the album and it shows up starting at song number 2. Anyone have any idea why song 1 is not being imported?
post #1671 of 1675 Old Today, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Let me try this again.

I have my digital music on a dedicated laptop in the office.

I have a second laptop with JRiver on it which talks to the one in the office. I can use HDMI or USB to connect to my Oppo 105 in the living room with this.

I want to use the lap top as a remote or my phone as a remote. (preferably my phone) So I can sit in the living room and have the office dedicated laptop talk to the living room 105. I have been at this a couple weeks now.

Is there ANYTHING user friendly JRIVER has to accomplish this?

Windows 8 phone, Windows 8.1 laptop in both living room and office.

post #1672 of 1675 Old Today, 07:00 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Let me try this again.

I have a second laptop with JRiver on it which talks to the one in the office. I can use HDMI or USB to connect to my Oppo 105 in the living room with this.

I want to use the lap top as a remote or my phone as a remote. (preferably my phone) So I can sit in the living room and have the office dedicated laptop talk to the living room 105. I have been at this a couple weeks now.

If you had an iPhone (an iPad or iPod Touch would also work for this application with the iPad being the best option due to the larger display), my suggestion would be to install JRemote on the iPhone, but it's an iOS only app. JRiver does also have WebGizmo, which may work on your phone, but I'm not sure if it will allow you to push JRiver content to your Oppo or not as I don't use it. You could also look into more generic DLNA controller apps for your phone that could be used to push content from JRiver to your Oppo, but I don't have any specific recommendations.
post #1673 of 1675 Old Today, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Let me try this again.

If you load JRiver on both laptops, you can use one laptop to control the other. On both laptops go to Tools > Options > Media Network and check "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA". Once this is done, the second laptop can control the first laptop. We use our laptop at home to sometimes control the HTPC.

For your phone, you can use nMedium or mcEffect. You still need to turn on Media Network in JRiver's Options.

Last edited by desertdome; Today at 08:26 AM.
post #1674 of 1675 Old Today, 03:58 PM

Just a tip for some people who are using Jriver with a psaudio directstream dac. ..for the Asynchronous USB b try no selection in output format and select kernel Bitstream and in options don't select convert to dop and check the selection for Bitstream dsd...every format works with this setting and it sounds fantastic. ..this also works on the oppo 105/105D for usb b
for the network bridge you have to check dsd dop in advanced settings at the bottom of network media in the options
for the 105D you don't check dop because the 105 can do raw dsd from all 3 usb ports,it's usb b and from the network
post #1675 of 1675 Old Today, 04:08 PM

I tried using Wasabi but it would stop when certain formats played and the Kernel stream is a direct not padded feed ...you have to set the integer to 24 bit pcm and every sounds the best going to the directstream or 105D. ..I have been doing side by side comparison with both units and the 105D is very close to the directstream ..it's a great choice ...the sabre ESS 9018 out of the balanced outputs. ..the multichannel outputs aren't as good because the use a single dac chip...the separate 2 channel outputs use a separate sabre for each channel. ..I'm going to be paying attention to the detail improvement in the directstream from here out..I currently have 150 hrs of break in on it and I have been told it takes 800 hrs to reach it's final (*near*) perfect replication of the musical instruments .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page