JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 383Likes

post #151 of 2387 Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The link is fixed. Thanks.
1. RO is a separate set of filters and management. You can install and uninstall your own, but it won't affect RO.
2. I'm not sure. It can read mymovies.xml.
3. Not in any automatic fashion, but you could import and play them.
4. Same as 3.

We're interested in improving the metadata experience.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2387 Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Was this answered before? Does JRiver have a tuner app with EPG built in for OTA and/or Cable Card tuners? If so is there a link to the JRMC website that has information and screen shots? Thanks.

post #153 of 2387 Old 08-15-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Over the air, yes. Cablecard, no. Not at this time.

EPG:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/EPG

post #154 of 2387 Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Sweet. I'm only using an OTA tuner right now anyhow. Thanks for the link. I'll go check that out.

post #155 of 2387 Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Okay, checked that out. Are there screen shots of the actaul EPG in use. Can it be programed to record shows and series? The WMC built-in EPG is pretty slick but latelly I've been having codec issues with live TV.

post #156 of 2387 Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Okay, checked that out. Are there screen shots of the actaul EPG in use. Can it be programed to record shows and series? The WMC built-in EPG is pretty slick but latelly I've been having codec issues with live TV.
Yes. MC16 records and has subscriptions.

Here's a page that has two EPG screenshots. The first is in Standard View. The second is in Theater View.
http://pix01.com/Gt%40fWfa

post #157 of 2387 Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does JRMC still require WMC or does it replace WMC?
What version of Windws is required to run JRMC?
post #158 of 2387 Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post

WMC is not required.
XP, Vista and W7, 32 and 64 bit versions work as far as I know. I've tested with XP 32, Vista 32 and both Win 7 flavours.
post #159 of 2387 Old 08-16-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post

WMC or WMP have never been required. MC can replace WMC.

XP or above, as fitbrit said.

post #160 of 2387 Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Many thx to jriver for the patient answers to my questions.

I decided to set up j river as my playback app on media browser wrt mkv's, I installed it, enabled RO HQ, set jrmc as the external player for media browser mkv's, and it's actually worked quite well. I used my Imon utilities for my Harmony remote, and I now have my Harmony working in WMC (mainly for my Ceton tuner and MB), MPC-HC for non-mkv video files (I will probably have this default to JRMC soon), and JRMC for mkvs. Will get everything set up for JRMC to replace foobar for my music library in the next couple of weeks.
post #161 of 2387 Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
BTW, my WMC metadata (and xbmc metadata), as built by media center master, does in fact show up on JRMC's video info. Pretty much everything but my cover art and background art are there in theater view. And my TV show episodes end up cluttering the whole thing (this and lack of ceton integration are the main reasons I'm not using JRMC alone).
post #162 of 2387 Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good news on your success so far. Thanks for reporting it.

Try tagging TV to show separately. Media sub-type is the tag you can use.

I assume you're using Theater View, the ten foot interface.

post #163 of 2387 Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

Pretty much everything but my cover art and background art are there in theater view. And my TV show episodes end up cluttering the whole thing (this and lack of ceton integration are the main reasons I'm not using JRMC alone).

Note there there is a setting to tell MC where your cover art is stored (i.e. in the folder with the movie, or in another location).

I'm also setting up some different views for TV show episodes (keeping them separate from Movies). If you keep all your movies in a separate directory or drive (say "E:\\My TV") you may want to try this: to go Theater View in setup and the display "buttons" (under Video> >Television) you can tell MC to sort by location so that anything in the "My TV" directory (or "My TV" drive) is Television related. This worked pretty well for me so far, but I'm also looking into how to set everything up based onTags - which I'm told is the correct way to do this.
post #164 of 2387 Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great news for the Cinemascope screen crowd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt/monkey View Post

Coming in 16.0.154 (and later):
NEW: Subtitle shift and size can be set per file, and settings will be saved between plays and runs.

post #165 of 2387 Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

great news for the cinemascope screen crowd:

Indeed!

Simply awesome customer service. They got my business.
post #166 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you. It's a two way street. The forums help us understand how people use our software and what they need to do so. So it's more than customer service. It's a different way of making decisions. We're very grateful for your help.

post #167 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Hello,

I am interested in trying J.River and I have downloaded the free trial for this weekend. My question relates to video quality using a 5570 radeon card.

I currently have and htpc with win 7 64 bit, quad core amd athlon II, 4 gb ram, 5570 video card. I have everything working very well with WMC, media browser, and MPC bitstreaming hd audio. In order to achieve the greatest video quality through J.River would I have to buy a new nvidia card to use the MadLAV software?

I just got everything working well on a minimal budget and I don't really want to pay for a new graphics card just to take full advantage of a newly paid for piece of software like J. River.

Don't get me wrong, the software looks awesome, I just want to know what I am walking into before I make any decisions.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Troy
post #168 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tballing View Post

Hello,

I am interested in trying J.River and I have downloaded the free trial for this weekend. My question relates to video quality using a 5570 radeon card.

I currently have and htpc with win 7 64 bit, quad core amd athlon II, 4 gb ram, 5570 video card. I have everything working very well with WMC, media browser, and MPC bitstreaming hd audio. In order to achieve the greatest video quality through J.River would I have to buy a new nvidia card to use the MadLAV software?

I just got everything working well on a minimal budget and I don't really want to pay for a new graphics card just to take full advantage of a newly paid for piece of software like J. River.

Don't get me wrong, the software looks awesome, I just want to know what I am walking into before I make any decisions.

Troy

One thing you should know is that internal to MadVR you can select different scaling methods so you can almost always find a setting that will work. But if you have a real low performance system and you keep "dialing back" MadVR to get it to work you may end up with no video performance improvement over not using it in the first place.
Since you have a free trial period, just see how MadVR works for you and report back if you need help with the settings.
post #169 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Great, thanks for the encouragment. One last question.. since I spent an inordinate amount of time getting everything setup to work recently, am I running any risk by installing J.River while media browser and MPC are setup perfectly already. In other words, will J.River overwrite any data that is currently making things work well as is?

Thanks,
Troy
post #170 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What I would like to do is set up JRMC in Theaterview as my main HTPC interface for it's superior handling of Music and Video files. As for live and recorded TV via my Ceton card, I'd like to set up 7MC in TV mode as an external program. Do you think this will work? I believe the ehshell.exe command line allows one to launch it in a particular mode.

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #171 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

... am I running any risk by installing J.River while media browser and MPC are setup perfectly already ...

Zero risk. MC downloads, installs, and cofigures its own set of filters in such a way that your current DirectShow configuration won't be affected.

post #172 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

What I would like to do is set up JRMC in Theaterview as my main HTPC interface for it's superior handling of Music and Video files. As for live and recorded TV via my Ceton card, I'd like to set up 7MC in TV mode as an external program. Do you think this will work? I believe the ehshell.exe command line allows one to launch it in a particular mode.

I had to look up ehshell:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb189052.aspx

I don't think it will help in this case. It appears to enable command line switches for different startup modes of WMC.

You might be able to add WMC as a program to launch in MC. Start at Theater View cusomization options. In this case, the ehshell options might help.

They can both be run independently, though controlling with a remote might be a challenge. The green button on an MC Remote would launch WMC unless you disable it in MC's options for Theater View.

post #173 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hello,

Troy

The ONLY thing that an nVidia card would help with is using LAVCUVID for video decoding. Your ATI card will do just fine running MadVR. And with your CPU you should be okay to use RedOctober HQ within J. River, giving you the highest video quality. I believe you will use ffdshow as the video decoder, and that will be configured automatically by J.River. You won't be able to use hardware accleration by your ATi card and run MadVR; that's only possible with nVidia cards.
post #174 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM

howdy,

i have everything installed and things are doing well with the exception of iso playback. I can't seem to get the media library to show them. I have imported the correct folders and mkv, mpg, vob show fine but my iso's are not there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Troy
post #175 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great news : I`ve strated working on a JRiver Media Center software guide just like my XBMC and 7MC ones, it should be finished in about 2 days.
post #176 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Great news : I`ve strated working on a JRiver Media Center software guide just like my XBMC and 7MC ones, it should be finished in about 2 days.

Look forward to it GreenEyez

I think there are several of us that want to find a way to use WMC (for TV - Ceton tuner) and JR MC for Video & Music.

Maybe setting MC as an external player in MediaBrowser.

Also, how to set up a Harmony to open & close each application successfully. What would be great if JR MC had a WMC add-in that we could choose Movies & Music from. Just dreaming I know...
post #177 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

howdy,

i have everything installed and things are doing well with the exception of iso playback. I can't seem to get the media library to show them. I have imported the correct folders and mkv, mpg, vob show fine but my iso's are not there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Troy

An ISO is just a disc image, and strictly speakign no assumption about its contents should be made. J. River handles more than just media now, including data. Therefore ISOs that contain video, should be tagged as such under the Media Type field. Once you do that, you can display all the metadata etc.
post #178 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:

howdy,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Troy

Yeah, I had the same problem and it only took me about 4 hours of trying and researching to figure out how to change the tags for isos. It's pretty easy to do once you know what to do. From memory, on the lower left side of the screen there is a small box with some options in it, the bottom one I believe is marked tags, click it and it will open a new box on the left side of the screen. Scroll down and you should be able to find where to change media types.

Sorry if I left out a step. I've only done this once a couple of weeks ago. Hope I helped.
post #179 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the responses but I am having no luck. There must be an easy way to have all Iso files that are imported default to the video library. I have a lot of iso files that i need to have appear in the theater mode for my wife to be happy.

Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the video upgrade.

Thanks
post #180 of 2387 Old 08-19-2011, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[Before you do this, you may have to choose "Data" from the top left section, which includes choices such as Video, Audio, Images.]

In the Standard (iTunes-like view), right click on any of the column headers. You will see all the field types that are defined and that you can view. Select filetype and MediaType. These will now be column headers too. If you click on the filetype header, all your files will be sorted by filetype, and you can scroll down to see all your ISO files.
Once you've selected all your ISO files, right click in the same row as one of them, under the MediaType column. Choose [rename (f2)]. You can then rename them all to "video" in one go.
They may then disappear, because they're no longer considered "data", and you're still in the Data viewscheme. Now they will appear under "Video".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page