JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 64 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 235Likes

post #1891 of 1916 Old 05-16-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Today's JRiver challenge, send audio signal out the USB connection to DAC.

Only plays on PC.

Media Center does not appear in Windows 8.1 Control Panel, Playback Options.

Under PC and devices > other devices > HA1 USB Audio 2.0 Dac (driver error)

I did the trouble shooting, no fix.
1) Which build of MC20 are you running? In a recent update, the WDM driver was removed unless you go into options within MC and select it as a feature in General. That's why Media Center is not under playback options (I'm assuming that's the equivalent of Playback Devices in Win7).

2) Is the USB DAC selected as an output device within MC?

3) Is the USB DAC driver correctly installed? Reinstall it and go back to 2 above. It looks quite clear from the info you've posted that the USB driver isn't working properly.

4) Which sample rates can the DAC cope with - you may have to tell MC what to up/downsample in order to play properly if you want to use exclusive mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1916 Old 05-16-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2981
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
Sorry it didnt work..did you try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them
of course

guess I have to uninstall the program and re install it. What a pain with that whole they send you a license and you get 10 or whatever nonsense

not looking forward to it

thanks for replies

question, if I now upgrade to 20.... will it be another nightmare?

I have it on two lap tops, one with a library and a remote on my phone, NMedium.

Everything is so delicate with it, I don't want to go back to square one.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1893 of 1916 Old 05-16-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post
1) Which build of MC20 are you running? In a recent update, the WDM driver was removed unless you go into options within MC and select it as a feature in General. That's why Media Center is not under playback options (I'm assuming that's the equivalent of Playback Devices in Win7).

3) Is the USB DAC driver correctly installed? Reinstall it and go back to 2 above. It looks quite clear from the info you've posted that the USB driver isn't working properly.

4) Which sample rates can the DAC cope with - you may have to tell MC what to up/downsample in order to play properly if you want to use exclusive mode.
it worked prior....

The USB driver will no longer work, correct.

DAC is HA1 Oppo, never had a sample rate issue with anything I threw at it

MC 19

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1894 of 1916 Old 05-16-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't worry about the 10 restores - they will give you more if you ask, and are a legit MC customer.
Ignore the stuff I wrote about WDM - that's MC20 specific.
eljr likes this.
post #1895 of 1916 Old 05-16-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

If the driver is corrupted or broken, as appears to be the case, then it may only accept inputs of a certain sample rate as a default. That's what Windows is probably adjusting to, so you can still play sounds from it, or any other non-exclusive mode app.
Any chance you could post a screenshot of what you playback device setup looks like in MC? My guess is that you may be able to get sound out to the DAC using Directsound in MC.
post #1896 of 1916 Old 05-17-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

again, it plays on the this lap top, ASUS, it does not send the signal out the USB to DAC, HA1 Oppo.

post #1897 of 1916 Old 05-17-2015, 06:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Under PC and devices > other devices > HA1 USB Audio 2.0 Dac (driver error)
This sounds like a problem with the Oppo HA-1 driver, not an issue with JRiver. Can you add a screen shot showing this error? I'd also post that info in the Oppo HA-1 thread and/or contact Oppo for assistance. It may be as simple as removing and reinstalling the driver for the HA-1. I'd also suggest trying a different USB cable as people have found that some USB cables work well with USB DAC's and some don't (no idea why). Though I'm an Oppo beta tester, I haven't been testing their personal audio products and am not overly familiar with the HA-1.
post #1898 of 1916 Old 05-17-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

You can see in this short that the DAC is missing as an option to play the sound.

Here you can windows knows there is a problem.

Here you can see the problem, code 10. ?????

post #1899 of 1916 Old 05-17-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
This sounds like a problem with the Oppo HA-1 driver, not an issue with JRiver. .
Yes it does, I should have thought of this.

I did not think of it because I can plug the other laptop in (with the library on it) and it works just fine.

But of course if the driver on the ASUS LapTop is corrupted it would not effect the driver on the other.

post #1900 of 1916 Old 05-17-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I saw this "Driver Can Not Start" error in Windows once and spent frustrating hours re-installing drivers.

After giving up sometime during the night it occurred to me I may have to plug in headphones for the driver to install properly and that actually worked....... for real.... not kidding.

It couldn't complete it's install process without having some type of speakers hooked up.

Guess this won't help but ... it did happen to me.

-Brian
post #1901 of 1916 Old 05-17-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

post #1902 of 1916 Old 05-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Intermittent crackling sound with convolution

Hey forum. I have been playing around with the convolution feature in Jriver. I have exported 44.1/16bit stereo filters ( for 44.1 music files) from REW based on a room measurement, and overall Im happy to notice a reduction in the "boominess" that usually plague my living room. Trouble is there is also some intermittent crackling going on during playback, when the filter is engaged. Filter off and the crackle goes away. I have monitored the peak-level meter and it stays below 100%. The filter runs at ~25 x real time.

Does anyone have a clue whats going on?
post #1903 of 1916 Old 05-18-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I did a search and can't find what I am looking for. I have added some filters in jriver DSP parametric eq and would like to measure my FR using REW thru jriver. Can someone detail what I need to do please? I have MC20.37. Thanks.
post #1904 of 1916 Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

I cant explain in minute detail, but if you want to route sound through Jriver you need to activate the WDM driver:

Tools, options, general, features, WDM.

Then you can choose Jriver as audio output device in REW.
post #1905 of 1916 Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Sound real simple. I will try when I get home. I read about loop back, open URL, open Live, etc...not needed for MC20? Thanks.
post #1906 of 1916 Old 05-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Its the same as otherwise except Jriver is inserted in the output path. Normally its REW > Soundcard out. With Jriver its REW > Jriver > soundcard out. I havent needed to open live. You may?. If you do a loop back calibration, the filters must be Off for the calibration measurement. Otherwise their effect will be canceled out by the generated calibration file and wont show up in subsequent measurement.

Last edited by splotten; 05-19-2015 at 10:19 PM.
post #1907 of 1916 Old 05-20-2015, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 459
With the WDM driver available in V20, the Open Live > Loopback is no longer necessary.
post #1908 of 1916 Old 05-20-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Great. Thanks guys.
Any of you guys use REW EQ to enter the its filters in jriver parametricEQ? What is your method of EQ'ing a 7.2 system with Audyssey XT32 subeqHT AVR?
post #1909 of 1916 Old 05-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Haven't used it for anything else than stereo. I'm still experimenting. I have exported the filters generated in REW as an impulse response .wav filter and imported said filter in to the convolution engine i Jriver, to avoid manually typing all the filters in to Jriver. I still have some crackling in the sound, so I might revert to entering the filters manually.
post #1910 of 1916 Old 05-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I use REW to generate PEQ's that I input into JRiver on my desktop system with JBL LSR305 + 310S. On my HT I use a miniDSP nanoAVR-HD (got it for free) to use PEQ's REW generated, it fundamentally works the exact same way as JRiver's PEQ, it's just easier to import the filters. Thinking about testing out rePhase with JRiver's convolution feature at some point in near future.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1911 of 1916 Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not so sure how jriver parametricEQ works with Audyssey XT32 receiver. Audyssey calibrates speakers/subs using its internal tone independ of the source (jriver). If I measure my FR, eq it in REW, and enter filters to jriver parametricEQ to flatten the response within +-3db, should I turn Audyssey OFF when playing a movie on jriver (with parametricEQ turned on)? If I turn Audyssey on, does it correct my corrected FR from jriver, thus over eq my FR which might make my FR no longer +-3db? I like the dynEQ feature that boost bass as my norm listening level is -15; unfortunately this option is not available when aud is turned off. So my question really is should I turn Audyssey OFF when using jriver parametricEQ? Is there a way to use Audyssey in conjunction with jriver parametricEQ? Thanks.
post #1912 of 1916 Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
I use REW to generate PEQ's that I input into JRiver on my desktop system with JBL LSR305 + 310S. On my HT I use a miniDSP nanoAVR-HD (got it for free) to use PEQ's REW generated, it fundamentally works the exact same way as JRiver's PEQ, it's just easier to import the filters. Thinking about testing out rePhase with JRiver's convolution feature at some point in near future.
Yes it would be really cool if there were a way to import a filter set from REW in to Jriver, like if Jriver was able to read .req filter files. Entering all those filters is a chore.

EDIT: How do you import the filters into miniDSP?

Last edited by splotten; 05-20-2015 at 10:15 PM.
post #1913 of 1916 Old 05-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
I am not so sure how jriver parametricEQ works with Audyssey XT32 receiver. Audyssey calibrates speakers/subs using its internal tone independ of the source (jriver). If I measure my FR, eq it in REW, and enter filters to jriver parametricEQ to flatten the response within +-3db, should I turn Audyssey OFF when playing a movie on jriver (with parametricEQ turned on)? If I turn Audyssey on, does it correct my corrected FR from jriver, thus over eq my FR which might make my FR no longer +-3db? I like the dynEQ feature that boost bass as my norm listening level is -15; unfortunately this option is not available when aud is turned off. So my question really is should I turn Audyssey OFF when using jriver parametricEQ? Is there a way to use Audyssey in conjunction with jriver parametricEQ? Thanks.
Since you have XT32 I'd either use Audyssey or PEQ but not both at the same time unless Audyssey is missing something with EQing your sub. You could use both at the same time but the problem is then you're probably EQing to two different target curves and I don't think there's a way to exactly know what the curve is for Audyssey presets so you'll end up potentially correcting something then negating it (for a sub this wouldn't be a big deal but other channels I would not do both). I don't use Audyssey, never have and never probably will as I'd go Dirac Live first IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splotten View Post
Yes it would be really cool if there were a way to import a filter set from REW in to Jriver, like if Jriver was able to read .req filter files. Entering all those filters is a chore.

EDIT: How do you import the filters into miniDSP?
Yeah it would be nice just to be able to export a file and import it to JRiver (hint hint JRiver team ). In REW you first setup which miniDSP processor you have, setup your target EQ curve and calculate it for each channel you want to EQ, then you use "Send Filters To EQ" option under Filter Tasks in the EQ section of REW (it's really easy to miss this part), it makes a text file and then you can import it using the miniDSP software for your particular device. It's easy peasy.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 05-20-2015 at 11:08 PM.
post #1914 of 1916 Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Yes. That was what I was thinking. Export a file containing the peq filters that can then be imported into Jriver. That would save a lot of work and make experimenting with different target curves much more straight forward. That was the reason for going with convolution, but it seem to introduce some latency and crackling that I cant track down. There should also be an export option in REW under generic filter, or a dedicated Jriver option in REW. Hope someone from REW and Jriver reads along ;-)
post #1915 of 1916 Old Today, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This may sound stupid, but what do you guys mean by "convolution"? That is a mystery term for me. Lol
post #1916 of 1916 Old Today, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Here's the topic on our wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement