JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 65 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 237Likes
post #1921 of 1948 Old 05-24-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post
I am running an HTPC with a Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge (HD3000) and thinking of getting JRMC. I am pretty sure I need to get an external card to run with Red October/Mad VR without compromise.

Can any one recommend a low profile card just for my MKV rips. No gaming will be done, strictly blu-ray playback.

Thanks
Zotac NVIDIA GT 740 or VisionTek Radeon HD 7750 bith are very good low profile cards.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1948 Old 05-24-2015, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Zotac NVIDIA GT 740 or VisionTek Radeon HD 7750 bith are very good low profile cards.
Thanks! Will these run with a 300 watt PSU?

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #1923 of 1948 Old 05-24-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I'm selling a MSI NVIDIA GTX 760. PM if you're interested.
post #1924 of 1948 Old 05-24-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Thanks! Will these run with a 300 watt PSU?
I would think so. I use 400 watt psu, but shouldn't be a problem with 300 watt. If dlbeck's gtx 760 is a low profile card i would jump on it.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #1925 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 354
@desertdome

I'm sure this has already been covered multiple times, but I'm looking to improve video playback in JRiver 20.

Every 10-15 seconds, I get a very quick and brief "stutter" in the video.

I changed the video mode to "Red October HQ" and checked "Hardware accelerate video decoding whenever possible", and that definitely helped. It's not near as frequent anymore.

PC specs:

dual-core 3ghz
8gb ram
GeForce GT 730 (2gb)
Sandisk SSDII 240gb (for OS only)
External WD 4TB USB 3.0 (storage of all audio/video content)
Fresh install of Win7 64-bit

I don't notice any video quality difference from my BDP-93, but I miss the smooth video playback.
post #1926 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Funny you mention that as I have a 2-year old workstation laptop with 32GB of RAM, a laptop "workstation" graphics card (ATI I think), and a quad-core i7. I've noticed my demo video clips take a while to start playing. I have to come up with a solution today and it might result in me relying on different software in the short term. I'm trying to play .m2ts clips that I pulled from the actual bluray stream. Is there another format that would perform better? Alternatively, is there some other playback software people would recommend? Thanks.

David

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1927 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Do you have Videoclock checked? Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings

When using Red October HQ you can see the playback stats to see if you are dropping frames. Start playback of a movie and press Ctrl+J to show stats. Press Ctrl+R to reset the stats. Watch the stat during playback to see if there are dropped frames or delayed frames.
post #1928 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Do you have Videoclock checked? Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings

When using Red October HQ you can see the playback stats to see if you are dropping frames. Start playback of a movie and press Ctrl+J to show stats. Press Ctrl+R to reset the stats. Watch the stat during playback to see if there are dropped frames or delayed frames.
I just turned on Videoclock, and it might have helped a little, but still getting the stutter. Maybe not quite as frequent though.

No dropped or delayed frames, and no presentation glitches.
post #1929 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Funny you mention that as I have a 2-year old workstation laptop with 32GB of RAM, a laptop "workstation" graphics card (ATI I think), and a quad-core i7. I've noticed my demo video clips take a while to start playing. I have to come up with a solution today and it might result in me relying on different software in the short term. I'm trying to play .m2ts clips that I pulled from the actual bluray stream. Is there another format that would perform better? Alternatively, is there some other playback software people would recommend? Thanks.

David
If you use Red October Standard you will be using the same decoders and video renderer that are used by other media software (not all though). If something takes a while to play it is usually because you have your drives set to sleep, are using a slow network, your NAS is slow, or madVR queue sizes are set too large. You can test the first three by copying the m2ts clip to your C: drive.

I recommend using Red October Standard for demo clips since it transitions faster between clips and doesn't flash any cover art.
post #1930 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
If you use Red October Standard you will be using the same decoders and video renderer that are used by other media software (not all though). If something takes a while to play it is usually because you have your drives set to sleep, are using a slow network, your NAS is slow, or madVR queue sizes are set too large. You can test the first three by copying the m2ts clip to your C: drive.

I recommend using Red October Standard for demo clips since it transitions faster between clips and doesn't flash any cover art.
Not sleep or the drive as I'm running from the C: drive, which is a Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB. So I'll check the queue sizes. Thanks.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1931 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
I just turned on Videoclock, and it might have helped a little, but still getting the stutter. Maybe not quite as frequent though.

No dropped or delayed frames, and no presentation glitches.
Does it show the movie resolution to be 1920, 1080 and target rectangle to be 0,0, 1920, 1080? I want to see if any resizing is happening. Do you have vertical sync in your video drivers set to "off" or "use the 3d application setting"?
post #1932 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sleep or the drive as I'm running from the C: drive, which is a Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB. So I'll check the queue sizes. Thanks.
Is it slow with Red October Standard?
post #1933 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does it show the movie resolution to be 1920, 1080 and target rectangle to be 0,0, 1920, 1080? I want to see if any resizing is happening. Do you have vertical sync in your video drivers set to "off" or "use the 3d application setting"?
Movie resolution: 1920, 1080
Target rectangle: 0,0, 1920, 1080

3D application setting: "Let the 3D application decide"

Vertical sync: "Use 3D application setting"

I may have fixed it though. I changed my refresh rate from 60hz to 24hz and the stutter appears to be fixed...

Is that a setting that typically needs adjusted for movie playback?
post #1934 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
I may have fixed it though. I changed my refresh rate from 60hz to 24hz and the stutter appears to be fixed...

Is that a setting that typically needs adjusted for movie playback?
It would be nice if you could automatically set your refresh rate to match your media . . . which is why you can.

In madVR's settings go to devices > "your device" > display modes set it up like below. Now the refresh rate will automatically switch for video based on its refresh rate and then switch back to the desktop resolution when not watching a movie. You can't use resolutions your display doesn't support.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	madvr settings.PNG
Views:	142
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	738282  
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #1935 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It would be nice if you could automatically set your refresh rate to match your media . . . which is why you can.

In madVR's settings go to devices > "your device" > display modes set it up like below. Now the refresh rate will automatically switch for video based on its refresh rate and then switch back to the desktop resolution when not watching a movie. You can't use resolutions your display doesn't support.

I downloaded and installed madVR and entered the settings in your attached picture. I also changed the display refresh rate back to 60hz.

In JRiver, I changed video mode to custom and changed the video renderer to madVR. However, when playing a video clip, it remains at 60hz and the stutter is back.
post #1936 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

JRiver in Red October HQ mode will automatically download and use madVR. You don't need to manually install. Switch to Red October HQ and try.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #1937 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I would recommend to use MCs settings to change the display refresh rate. They work independent of the video renderer used, and are a bit easier to setup.
You can find them in the Settings -> Video -> Display Settings. Try the automatic mode first (just set it to "On"), and/or fine-tune the resolution/refresh rate it will use in Custom mode.

Do not setup both MCs changer and madVRs changer, since both at the same time will cause problems.
post #1938 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
JRiver in Red October HQ mode will automatically download and use madVR. You don't need to manually install. Switch to Red October HQ and try.
Got it. I had to lookup how to get to the madVR settings from within JRiver though
post #1939 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Is it slow with Red October Standard?
Yes. I played with the cache and delays and reduced everything but the video still pauses and is sluggish while the audio is silent until a couple seconds into the clips. And I switched to clips from the "Ultimate Bass Disc", which work fine on bluray players. I switched to VLC and am seeing the same issues so apparently it is a codec issue on my computer. I'm downloading PowerDVD to see if that plays any better.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1940 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes. I played with the cache and delays and reduced everything but the video still pauses and is sluggish while the audio is silent until a couple seconds into the clips. And I switched to clips from the "Ultimate Bass Disc", which work fine on bluray players. I switched to VLC and am seeing the same issues so apparently it is a codec issue on my computer. I'm downloading PowerDVD to see if that plays any better.
VLC uses different codecs than JRiver.

The Motu devices takes several seconds to change sample rates. This causes a delay. Try setting a fixed sample rate in JRiver's Output Format. Did you ever end up using Audiolense yet? Convolution filters can cause an initial delay. Also try lower or higher latency settings in the Motu driver. Since your audio is silent at the beginning, it leads me to think there is a sync issue with the Motu (if that is what you are currently using).
post #1941 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
VLC uses different codecs than JRiver.

The Motu devices takes several seconds to change sample rates. This causes a delay. Try setting a fixed sample rate in JRiver's Output Format. Did you ever end up using Audiolense yet? Convolution filters can cause an initial delay. Also try lower or higher latency settings in the Motu driver. Since your audio is silent at the beginning, it leads me to think there is a sync issue with the Motu (if that is what you are currently using).
VLC is acting the same as Jriver so that is interesting. Motu is on the way to THE Show in Cali so it isn't in the mix. I'm just playing with Direct Sound but I'll try the Focusrite 2i2 preamp and ASIO driver. And I don't have Audiolense in the mix right now. Thanks for the ideas DD!

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1942 of 1948 Old 05-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Problem went away as soon as I switched to the Focusrite ASIO driver. Ughh...computers. Thanks!

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1943 of 1948 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I am running an HTPC with a Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge (HD3000) and thinking of getting JRMC. I am pretty sure I need to get an external card to run with Red October/Mad VR without compromise.

Can any one recommend a low profile card just for my MKV rips. No gaming will be done, strictly blu-ray playback.

Thanks
I don't keep up with the hardware but just playing 1080 content to a 1080 screen is not very demanding. I would try your current setup first and see what you think.
post #1944 of 1948 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 369
How do you upgrade MadVR in JRiver?

Thanks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #1945 of 1948 Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Ugh I had to reinstall Windows today due to something nasty so I decided to upgrade MC19 to MC20 so that means MC21 will be announced next month (this is a joke, not being mean since it's hard to get that from just text sometimes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
How do you upgrade MadVR in JRiver?

Thanks
Replace the old files with the new files in C:\Users\<PC NAME>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center <VERSION>\Plugins\madVR

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1946 of 1948 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
Replace the old files with the new files in C:\Users\<PC NAME>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center <VERSION>\Plugins\madVR
Got it thanks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #1947 of 1948 Unread Today, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Anyone else unable to get movie info from TMDB using Jriver??? my MC isnt pulling any information from tmdb
post #1948 of 1948 Unread Today, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It's been reported to Matt, and he can reproduce this. TMDB may have changed their protocol. Hang in there, Matt will be investigating tomorrow, or very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page