JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

post #2011 of 2024 Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 4073
My JRiver setup.

Dell laptop, server/player
Asus laptop, player
Oppo 105, player
NMedium, remote/player

Two questions, the nMedium remote does not see the Asus player. Must DLNA be enabled for nMedium to control playback on it?

and

I want to link zones but the nMedium player will not link. It plays fine and shows as a zone with the others but is grayed out and not linkable. Can it be linked in zones?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2024 Old 07-24-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, maybe someone can answer this question if not the other two.

JRiver has been very challenging. It really struggles to see the Oppo and and be seen by the remote, nMedium.

The last screen that popped up said that if it happened again I should back up my files, uninstall and reinstall latest version.

My question is this:

I was about to upgrade to the latest release for the upgrade price. Should I uninstall, then purchase the upgrade and reinstall?

Or if I uninstall it is not considered an upgrade and I have to pay full purchase price?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #2013 of 2024 Old 07-24-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Here's how to upgrade:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...8668.msg682403

But don't do it if you can't solve the Oppo problem first.

If the device comes and goes, the network signal could be weak.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #2014 of 2024 Old 07-24-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post
Here's how to upgrade:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...8668.msg682403

But don't do it if you can't solve the Oppo problem first.

If the device comes and goes, the network signal could be weak.
once it connects it never goes out. It just can't connect or can't be seen.

If I push or pull to the Oppo, often it will turn on the Oppo and then nothing, it never plays. It just freezes. You can't even exit the program. Totally unresponsive.

post #2015 of 2024 Old 07-24-2015, 05:57 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
once it connects it never goes out. It just can't connect or can't be seen.

If I push or pull to the Oppo, often it will turn on the Oppo and then nothing, it never plays. It just freezes. You can't even exit the program. Totally unresponsive.
More information is needed if there's going to be any hope of helping you figure this out:

1) What version and build number of JRiver MC are you using?
2) What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using on the computer?
3) What firmware version do you have on the Oppo?
4) What is your network setup - brand/model of router? brand/model of any switches? brand/model of any wireless access points? is the computer hard wired or wireless? is the Oppo hard wired or wireless? if wireless how strong are the signals and how far are the computer and/or Oppo from the wireless router/access point?

Answers to some of these questions may provide some hints as to what the problem is.
post #2016 of 2024 Old 07-24-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
More information is needed if there's going to be any hope of helping you figure this out:

1) What version and build number of JRiver MC are you using?
2) What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using on the computer?
3) What firmware version do you have on the Oppo?
4) What is your network setup - brand/model of router? brand/model of any switches? brand/model of any wireless access points? is the computer hard wired or wireless? is the Oppo hard wired or wireless? if wireless how strong are the signals and how far are the computer and/or Oppo from the wireless router/access point?

Answers to some of these questions may provide some hints as to what the problem is.
Media Center 19
8.1 Windows but in two weeks it will be upgraded to Windows 10.
Firmware is up to date

I have had the computer that is the server both hardwired and wireless. Doesn't matter, problem stays the same.
Oppo, wireless it also has a Roku stick which has no trouble ever. Movies or audio, Flawless.

The router is a Dir-868L. Provided by the cable company.

The router is two rooms over. My computer signal is all 5 bars in the same room. (and of course the roku to is very good)

I did just order a network extender just to trouble shoot his problem as Rivers seems to think this is a connectivity issue. It will be here tomorrow. I will be able to hard wire to it so if that is the issue it will be fixed tomorrow. Like I said, when it does connect it is fine as are the other devices in the same room, same place.

post #2017 of 2024 Old 07-25-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

As most always, got up, turned on Media Center and pick an album to stream on the OPPO. It turn on the Oppo but no stream plays.

Instead, both the OppO and Media Center freeze.

After resetting both I went to my network on the OPPO, to the MC Audiophile server folder and asked it to stream which it did, no problem.

Now it will be fine to push or pull from any phone remote or laptop.

If I let some time go by, a few hours, before streaming another album, I'll have the same problem.

post #2018 of 2024 Old 07-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Eljr,

This isn't necessarily directed at you and doesn't help your issue but it does put an interesting light on your problems in that they could be related to the Oppo, not just Jriver.

I exhibited at the Axpona show as I wasn't strong enough with Jriver and wanted to ensure I had a reliable consumer electronics device so I used my Oppo 103 to play video clips off of a fast USB stick. Well, the Oppo was not exactly solid, it had delays in the video showing, was at times real slow to navigate, and completely froze sometimes requiring a reboot. Needless to say, I sold the Oppo when I got back.

So at THE Show Newport I used Jriver and while it wasn't perfect, most of the issues were with my knowledge and the only real problem I had with Jriver was some of the clips being out of sync...not sure if that was a Jriver problem or how they were cut.

Do you have another device you could stream to besides the Oppo to rule out the Oppo as the culprit? Or another device/app to stream to the Oppo?

David

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #2019 of 2024 Old 07-25-2015, 10:45 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Do you have another device you could stream to besides the Oppo to rule out the Oppo as the culprit? Or another device/app to stream to the Oppo?
He has already indicated that he's having trouble even connecting to JRiver MC with the nMedium app on his phone, which clearly rules out the Oppo as the (only) problem. Your experience with your Oppo definitely isn't typical as a LOT of users are playing media on locally attached USB devices without any problems.
post #2020 of 2024 Old 07-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I should say that the media I was trying to play was Bluray .ts clips so very well may not apply at all. But I will say the Oppo was a lot less robust than I expected, especially given all of the reports of the Oppo being so good with media as you also point out.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #2021 of 2024 Old 07-25-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

David
I stream on my phone and other lap top as well. All experience this.

As to the OPPO, it can also be challenging to deal with. No denials here. That said Roku never fails and I can view and pull the same music without issue using it. Just that its in folders without art so media Center is preferable.

Problem is, if Media Center and Oppo fail, then both tend to freeze up not just Media Center.

THe phone sometimes finds Media Center sometimes not also.

The 2nd lap top and Media Center work togeather the most consistently.

It really does seem the synergy between the Oppo and Media Center is the real issue.

I got the network extender today and the signal strength went from 67% to 100% on the OPPO so, fingers crossed.

Last edited by eljr; 07-25-2015 at 01:53 PM.
post #2022 of 2024 Old 07-25-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, since finding one another this morning both have worked wonderfully all day, as usual.

post #2023 of 2024 Old 07-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
BTW, since finding one another this morning both have worked wonderfully all day, as usual.
If you are using a Gigabit network make sure that you disable on your PC ethernet 'Jumbo Packet', I have seen some device having problem with it and streaming.
post #2024 of 2024 Old Today, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
If you are using a Gigabit network make sure that you disable on your PC ethernet 'Jumbo Packet', I have seen some device having problem with it and streaming.
We've seen that, too:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...2903#msg322903

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers