JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 272Likes

post #2041 of 2064 Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am new to jriver, but would like to ry it in my system.
I am running Mac OS 10 with Apple TV.
The Apple TV is slow, the U.S. Stinks and it occasionally drops signal.

I understand how to use jriver on the laptop.
My question is:
How do I get videos to play on my television?
I can't run wires. It would have to be via wireless.

I have WDtv box. I can play files to it from the USB connection and it works great- but again- the on screen UI is ugly.

can I sync jriver with the WDtv/external?
Do I need the WDcloud drive to make it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2064 Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 120
OK,
I actually find this kind of funny. I am into heavy music. One of the bands I like is W.A.S.P. I know probably not every ones cup of tea. In MC18 when I would play that band I would get a slide show of Blackly and the band. It was pretty cool. You know what I get with MC20? I get pictures of actual wasps. I am not joking. I get a full slide show of all kinds of wasps in all kinds of environments . Every once in a while there will be a picture of Blacky, but most of the pics are of real wasps. I almost could not stop laughing. I just had to share that.
gsr, eljr, BllDo and 1 others like this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #2043 of 2064 Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 4206
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I thought you had tried hard wiring both to the router already,.
I had hardwired the server laptop to the router not the Oppo.

Connecting the OPPO is a headache, crawl spaces, basement...

I am gonna try it above ground as it were, just lay a wire across the floor for a week, If it makes everything work then I'll hire an electrician to run it as stated.

Why is a desktop computer better than a laptop????

(sorry, I am sure I should know this)

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #2044 of 2064 Old 07-31-2015, 10:45 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Why is a desktop computer better than a laptop????
Just some reasons that quickly come to mind:

1) Less expensive for the same amount of horsepower.
2) Much more space to add hard drives internally, though this may not matter if using a separate NAS for storage. I'm not a fan for using USB drives for something like a media server.
3) The hardware is typically simpler and usually needs fewer oddball drivers installed. Everything that gets installed has the potential to cause problems, so IMO, the simpler the better.
4) The ability to install a better network adapter if the motherboard adapter is sub par (most are).
and so on...
post #2045 of 2064 Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
OK,
I actually find this kind of funny. I am into heavy music. One of the bands I like is W.A.S.P. I know probably not every ones cup of tea. In MC18 when I would play that band I would get a slide show of Blackly and the band. It was pretty cool. You know what I get with MC20? I get pictures of actual wasps. I am not joking. I get a full slide show of all kinds of wasps in all kinds of environments . Every once in a while there will be a picture of Blacky, but most of the pics are of real wasps. I almost could not stop laughing. I just had to share that.

I'm sure that you are aware that MC just searches on-line for images that match (or "come close to matching") your album/artist. You can remove some of the search locations to narrow down the matches to more "music related matches".

Go to Tools -> Options -> Theater View -> Appearance -> Theme -> Online media slideshow. Uncheck Google Images. Keep Last.fm and HTBackdrops checked. This will limit the number of images pulled, but it will ensure that they are more accurate and artist related.
post #2046 of 2064 Old 07-31-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
I'm sure that you are aware that MC just searches on-line for images that match (or "come close to matching") your album/artist. You can remove some of the search locations to narrow down the matches to more "music related matches".

Go to Tools -> Options -> Theater View -> Appearance -> Theme -> Online media slideshow. Uncheck Google Images. Keep Last.fm and HTBackdrops checked. This will limit the number of images pulled, but it will ensure that they are more accurate and artist related.
I know that it searches the web. I just thought it was funny. I guess I should be lucky that when I am playing TOOL that I don't see a table saw or a power drill . I don't mind though. Again, it was quite amusing.

My System
post #2047 of 2064 Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I know that it searches the web. I just thought it was funny. I guess I should be lucky that when I am playing TOOL that I don't see a table saw or a power drill . I don't mind though. Again, it was quite amusing.
Yeah, I don't even want to see what happens if your playing something form the punk rock band "Pussy Riot" or "Anal ****" (I'm not making this up - http://www.houstonpress.com/music/th...d-find-6502824)

But I guess if you listen to that music, no background images that pop up are going to be "that " shocking.
post #2048 of 2064 Old 07-31-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

That stuff is too much for me. I am not into Cookie Monster rock.

My System
post #2049 of 2064 Old 08-06-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
MC21 early builds have begun. They're available on the MC21 board.

Importantly, there is a fix for U.S. customers for the Electronic Programming Guide problems that began when Microsoft switched to Windows 10. It uses a built-in mc2xml that is equivalent to the donor version of mc2xml. So far, the reports are mostly positive.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #2050 of 2064 Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Just some reasons that quickly come to mind:

1) Less expensive for the same amount of horsepower.
2) Much more space to add hard drives internally, though this may not matter if using a separate NAS for storage. I'm not a fan for using USB drives for something like a media server.
3) The hardware is typically simpler and usually needs fewer oddball drivers installed. Everything that gets installed has the potential to cause problems, so IMO, the simpler the better.
4) The ability to install a better network adapter if the motherboard adapter is sub par (most are).
and so on...
I'd like to add that in using a notebook you're fighting the defaults the OS & manufacturer set up for it. They expect you will use the laptop as a laptop. They expect you want the batteries to last so they shut things down to extend their life. Things that a server needs to keep running. They expect you're going to use wifi, not hardwired. Laptops will often use the wifi even if a network cable is attached. The manufacturer pre installed a bunch of apps on your laptop, any of which can cause problems with server type apps.
All of this doesn't mean you can't use a laptop as a server. I just means that it is likely you will have to do a lot of tweaking to get it to work reliably. Sorry if this is harsh, but if you have to ask what the difference is you probably would be much better off in buying a system that is intended to act more as a server.

Actually I would be surprised if there weren't problems with a laptop as a server/oppo wirelessly connected/just released OS/old application version scenario.

Last edited by BizarroTerl; 08-06-2015 at 10:03 AM.
post #2051 of 2064 Old 08-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I just installed MC 21 and I was wondering why it Didnt replace mc20 when i installed it..they are both there..is that normal and how do i fix t?
post #2052 of 2064 Old 08-06-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
I just installed MC 21 and I was wondering why it Didnt replace mc20 when i installed it..they are both there..is that normal and how do i fix t?
That is normal. Uninstall MC20 when you decide you don't need it anymore. I've had as many as 5 versions installed on my system, but that is so I can go back and reference something if someone needs help.
eljr likes this.
post #2053 of 2064 Old 08-06-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
MC19 was my first version and I had exactly the same confusion when I installed MC20. Basically they are completely separate app so you just uninstall MC20 once you're happy with MC21.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #2054 of 2064 Old 08-06-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post
I'd like to add that in using a notebook you're fighting the defaults the OS & manufacturer set up for it. They expect you will use the laptop as a laptop. They expect you want the batteries to last so they shut things down to extend their life. Things that a server needs to keep running. They expect you're going to use wifi, not hardwired. Laptops will often use the wifi even if a network cable is attached. The manufacturer pre installed a bunch of apps on your laptop, any of which can cause problems with server type apps.
All of this doesn't mean you can't use a laptop as a server. I just means that it is likely you will have to do a lot of tweaking to get it to work reliably. Sorry if this is harsh, but if you have to ask what the difference is you probably would be much better off in buying a system that is intended to act more as a server.

Actually I would be surprised if there weren't problems with a laptop as a server/oppo wirelessly connected/just released OS/old application version scenario.
I don't think this is true. A modern laptop is a PC with more aggressive power management and limited physical connectivity options, from a networking perspective it should work just fine. If a modern system (laptop or otherwise) can't sleep/resume without issues then something is really broken.
eljr likes this.
post #2055 of 2064 Old 08-07-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why would it?

It's not an upgrade it's an install.

Of course it's normal.
JimSatala77 likes this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #2056 of 2064 Old 08-07-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Today's new trick!

Today When I stream an album, it plays about 30 seconds of the song then skips to the next song. On and on it goes. 30 seconds and new song.

Any idea what or why?

I have Ethernet wire on the way, everything but two players will be hard wired.

I hope this finally solves it.

post #2057 of 2064 Old 08-07-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Today's new trick!

Today When I stream an album, it plays about 30 seconds of the song then skips to the next song. On and on it goes. 30 seconds and new song.

Any idea what or why?

I have Ethernet wire on the way, everything but two players will be hard wired.

I hope this finally solves it.
You said your trying to stream an album so this is probably not your situation - but if you are playing a playlist downloaded via the "Dr Who" feature and you did not have the file on your computer (meaning its not in your collection already), the Dr Who playlist would play a 30 second sample clip then move to the next sample clip.
That's the only thing that comes to mind right now...

Last edited by CountryBumkin; 08-07-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
post #2058 of 2064 Old Today, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Let's say I'm listening to music tracks and my daughter walks in and I want to player her a movie. Half way through the album I stop the music to play a flick, why is it the movie wont start? I had this issue with MC19, MC20, ,and now MC21 I can get out Jriver entirely but that's not sexy at all.

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears SSP: XMC-1 Amplification: XPA-5 G2 Display: Samsung PN64D7000 Source: Oppo 105D, HTPC 16TB Jriver 20, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 2 Power:Panamax M5300-PM
post #2059 of 2064 Old Today, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Let's say I'm listening to music tracks and my daughter walks in and I want to player her a movie. Half way through the album I stop the music to play a flick, why is it the movie wont start? I had this issue with MC19, MC20, ,and now MC21 I can get out Jriver entirely but that's not sexy at all.
Are you playing the movie in JRiver? If not, it may be that you have JRiver taking exclusive control of your sound output device. The best way to avoid this is to actually press stop on the music, not just pause it; pressing stop relinquishes exclusive access to the sound device, I believe.
post #2060 of 2064 Old Today, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post
Are you playing the movie in JRiver? If not, it may be that you have JRiver taking exclusive control of your sound output device. The best way to avoid this is to actually press stop on the music, not just pause it; pressing stop relinquishes exclusive access to the sound device, I believe.

Yes all via JRiver, I believed I have completely stopped the music file, not just paused it. I've gone as far as played the last track to the end and see if I can go through the whole cycle just to see if it's some weird glitch or what but that doesn't work either.

I have to get out of jrmc and come back in to start the movie on jriver, like I said it's kind of annoying.

Thanks

Djoel

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears SSP: XMC-1 Amplification: XPA-5 G2 Display: Samsung PN64D7000 Source: Oppo 105D, HTPC 16TB Jriver 20, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 2 Power:Panamax M5300-PM
post #2061 of 2064 Old Today, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The issue I described was only relevant if you were not using MC to play the movie.
Since you are, something else is the issue.

When you say the movie will not play, what do you mean? What is on the screen? Is it a black screen? Is there audio, but no picture? Is there an error message?
Is the movie on a network drive that may need time to spin up? Do you just get a spinning wheel and nothing happens?
post #2062 of 2064 Old Today, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The issue I described was only relevant if you were not using MC to play the movie.
Since you are, something else is the issue.

When you say the movie will not play, what do you mean? What is on the screen? Is it a black screen? Is there audio, but no picture? Is there an error message?
Is the movie on a network drive that may need time to spin up? Do you just get a spinning wheel and nothing happens?

I'm able to chose the movie once I exit audio section, the movie is checked off it just wouldn't play. No message, it doesn't black out, I can scroll all the movies, but they just wont play!

It's like the system stuck on music, and wont play movies unless I'm out of the mc.

Hmm strange I think.

Thanks
Djoel

post #2063 of 2064 Old Today, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
I'm able to chose the movie once I exit audio section, the movie is checked off it just wouldn't play. No message, it doesn't black out, I can scroll all the movies, but they just wont play!

It's like the system stuck on music, and wont play movies unless I'm out of the mc.

Hmm strange I think.

Thanks
Djoel
Are you using a separate audio zone? When you play music are you sending it to a DLNA device by chance?
post #2064 of 2064 Old Today, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you using a separate audio zone? When you play music are you sending it to a DLNA device by chance?
It's a HTPC with multi hhd, movies in several HHD's and music in a separate SSD. No DLNA at all at the moment.

Djoel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers