post #181 of 1480 Old 08-19-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post
Great news : I`ve strated working on a JRiver Media Center software guide just like my XBMC and 7MC ones, it should be finished in about 2 days.
This will be record time for anyone to learn the intricacies of the program. You may find that there are things you missed that others would like to contribute; I hope you don't mind that. Thank you SO much for doing this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1480 Old 08-20-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Great news : I`ve strated working on a JRiver Media Center software guide just like my XBMC and 7MC ones, it should be finished in about 2 days.

Thank you. Can we keep it in this thread? There's no need to have a competing thread, is there?
post #183 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have been using JRiver MC15 for music server and am VERY happy with it. Recently I installed a codec pack to play some video file and it included FFDShow. Now JRiver is asking if I want to use FFDShow. What do you guys think? Any reason to tell it to use FFDShow over the default processing?
post #184 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

This will be record time for anyone to learn the intricacies of the program. You may find that there are things you missed that others would like to contribute; I hope you don't mind that. Thank you SO much for doing this!

Eh, 2 days to put up the foundation, took me a month to explore/try out every possible combination of themes/filters/option/addon etc. on 7MC, and i`m still learning new stuff about XBMC every week
Fortunatly i use J.River as my main music jukebox on my laptop/main desktop, so i have some experience with it

Glad to help out people, since i see there is a growing interest in J.River around here.
post #185 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post

Thank you. Can we keep it in this thread? There's no need to have a competing thread, is there?

Yup, exactly my thoughts, i`ll PM one of the moderators when i`m done so we can put up the guide on the front of the thread and possible get a sticky for it.
post #186 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of which, does anybody know how i can add the album artist name to display after (or before, doesn`t matter) in the albums view and still keep the sorting by album scheme?

post #187 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can this JRiver Media Center integrate to the XBMC ?
post #188 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

I have been using JRiver MC15 for music server and am VERY happy with it. Recently I installed a codec pack to play some video file and it included FFDShow. Now JRiver is asking if I want to use FFDShow. What do you guys think? Any reason to tell it to use FFDShow over the default processing?

You're not supposed to (need to) add anything externally because JRiver downloads and installs its own filters and maintains a white-list of what works. There is nothing I've seen that JRiver can't do/play - so why would you need a code pack?
Under Options>Tools>FileTypes there is a listing of formats JR can handle (maybe you did not have the box checked next to the video format).

One of the benefits of JRiver is that it doesn't mess with anything on your system. It runs in its own enviroment. If there is something not working, I suggest you ask about it over on the JRiver Media Center forum before installing code packs or whatever.
post #189 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

You're not supposed to (need to) add anything externally because JRiver downloads and installs its own filters and maintains a white-list of what works. There is nothing I've seen that JRiver can't do/play - so why would you need a code pack?
Under Options>Tools>FileTypes there is a listing of formats JR can handle (maybe you did not have the box checked next to the video format).

One of the benefits of JRiver is that it doesn't mess with anything on your system. It runs in its own enviroment. If there is something not working, I suggest you ask about it over on the JRiver Media Center forum before installing code packs or whatever.

If he is still using MC version 15 it does not have Red October that installs its own filters. That came about fairly recently in version 16.

Rod
post #190 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post

If he is still using MC version 15 it does not have Red October that installs its own filters. That came about fairly recently in version 16.

Rod

You're right. For HTPC use, version 16 is is "what you want to use".
post #191 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, exactly my thoughts, i`ll PM one of the moderators when i`m done so we can put up the guide on the front of the thread and possible get a sticky for it.

GreenEyez,
If you can't get the mods to insert a buch of blank posts for you guide at the beginning of this thread - I think it would be "cleaner" to just start a new thread (hopefully a sticky) where you could "reserve" a buch of posts at the begining. Then you can do the introduction and setup right from the first posing/page?

I think you would want to start off with some screen shots of Theater View on page 1, then some setup stuff (with screen shots (please)) on pages 2 to xx. Then the discussion can start.
IMHO
post #192 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am waiting for this guide - I finally got my media tagged for JRMC but theater view is very lacking for me right now and I'm having difficulty making it look the way I want
post #193 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
finally got DTS-MA decoding working on the fly

now means - direct conversion to PCM - Jriver RoomEQ to add +10dB for subwoofer - 8 channel USB to my Pioneer 59TXi

enjoying sublime lossless on my "legacy" receiver
post #194 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Liked: 11
I'm ready to give MC16 a go for my main jukebox. Before I do so, is it recommended to first remove previously installed codec packs? I have Sharks and perhaps a few others. However, I'd like to leave MPC-HC installed along with it's codecs as my current player until I get JR River MC16 up and running. Codecs can do funny things, so I'd like to keep it simple. Suggestions?
post #195 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccirilli View Post

I'm ready to give MC16 a go for my main jukebox. Before I do so, is it recommended to first remove previously installed codec packs? I have Sharks and perhaps a few others. However, I'd like to leave MPC-HC installed along with it's codecs as my current player until I get JR River MC16 up and running. Codecs can do funny things, so I'd like to keep it simple. Suggestions?

MC uses its own codecs, so whatever else you have installed can stay and won't be affected. Thanks for trying MC.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #196 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

I am waiting for this guide - I finally got my media tagged for JRMC but theater view is very lacking for me right now and I'm having difficulty making it look the way I want

+1: As it turns out JRMC organized my movie and music data pretty effectively with minimal intervention on my part as I had it mainly pre-tagged by external programs prior to import. However, I have a bunch of individual questions (most of them about customizing views) and I wonder if I can and should ask them here or within JRMC's forum? The latter makes more sense on paper but this thread does have the advantage of consolidating everything in one place.

At minimum, I'll wait and see where the pending manual is placed within AVS.
post #197 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You could start here and switch later if necessary.

Have you tried the customization options in Tools/Options/Theater View?

post #198 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Will MC 16 ever be able to play blu-ray direct from disc, with or without a third party player(PowerDvd 0r TMC) ? If not can I add a shortcut to lauch a third party player in Theater View?
post #199 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post

Will MC 16 ever be able to play blu-ray direct from disc, with or without a third party player(PowerDvd 0r TMC) ? If not can I add a shortcut to lauch a third party player in Theater View?

It currently can do this, with anyDVD HD, or other installed. It'll play right from the drive, just like a DVD.

It's hard to keep up to date on this stuff!
post #200 of 1480 Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post

As JustinChase said.. see this thread.
post #201 of 1480 Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 PM

I've been evaluating JRMC recently too, primarily for a possible front end to our projector based system. Our use is primarily DVDs. My notes:

As others have noted Theaterview is relatively undeveloped as yet. Despite having my media already tagged by Media Center Master for 7MC and for XBMC which was also on trial, JRMC doesn't see it. I had set the file location option to be in the media folder for "folder.jpg" files, and although these image files are present JRMC needs manual assistance to locate them. For most movies I also have found the Wikipedia lookup for meta data to be almost useless.

A think a good first step for JRMC would be to be capable of picking up existing data from external scrapers without any assistance, at least the basic data needed to visually populate Theaterview.

Next I had hoped to be able to use Red October standard with extra filters to add in ffdshow as a video processor. I just want to be able to do a resize / sharpen enhancement. Despite having ffdshow installed externally, and selected from within JRMC setup, and configured from within the JRMC setup for the file types involved, it does not seem to be used. I think this has been mentioned elsewhere.

I'm coming from a simpler system that used Theatertek and am looking for something with the same video quality but a more up todate interface.

So far 7MC seems to be delivering the best from what I have tried, but I think JRMC has more to offer than I'm able to achieve.

I've seen the light... and its "White 255"!! (or is it 235?)
post #202 of 1480 Old 08-22-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you try Red October HQ? If your machine is strong enough, that should deliver the best picture.

We've heard you and others on metadata. We're talking about a better solution. There are some third party solutions on our forum.

Thanks for the feedback.

post #203 of 1480 Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 PM

Yes I've tried Red October HQ, and I need to go back to it. I'm moving back and forth between JRMC and 7MC at the moment day by day... I still have a couple of weeks of the trial to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post

Did you try Red October HQ? If your machine is strong enough, that should deliver the best picture.

We've heard you and others on metadata. We're talking about a better solution. There are some third party solutions on our forum.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've seen the light... and its "White 255"!! (or is it 235?)
post #204 of 1480 Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzagazza View Post

I've been evaluating JRMC recently too, primarily for a possible front end to our projector based system. Our use is primarily DVDs. My notes:

As others have noted Theaterview is relatively undeveloped as yet. Despite having my media already tagged by Media Center Master for 7MC and for XBMC which was also on trial, JRMC doesn't see it. I had set the file location option to be in the media folder for "folder.jpg" files, and although these image files are present JRMC needs manual assistance to locate them. For most movies I also have found the Wikipedia lookup for meta data to be almost useless.

A think a good first step for JRMC would be to be capable of picking up existing data from external scrapers without any assistance, at least the basic data needed to visually populate Theaterview.

Next I had hoped to be able to use Red October standard with extra filters to add in ffdshow as a video processor. I just want to be able to do a resize / sharpen enhancement. Despite having ffdshow installed externally, and selected from within JRMC setup, and configured from within the JRMC setup for the file types involved, it does not seem to be used. I think this has been mentioned elsewhere.

I'm coming from a simpler system that used Theatertek and am looking for something with the same video quality but a more up todate interface.

So far 7MC seems to be delivering the best from what I have tried, but I think JRMC has more to offer than I'm able to achieve.

The key to MC16 is getting the all data fields filled in, so Theater View can sort/list and display everything correctly (like TV Series, Genres, Artists, etc.). Depends on what you want to sort and display.
There are external scrapers that will collect the data (I use MyMovies collection manager (free for basic version)). But you will still probably need to fill in a few fields yourself. Once you learn the shorcuts (F2, copy/paste, fill from filename, replace with, how to select muliple records) it's not too hard.

post #205 of 1480 Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 AM

I posted this on the shut-down thread (it was the last post) and I really wanted people to know about J.River's MC:

I'm late to this thread, but I thought I'd share my experiences with JRiver & XBMC.

I use JRiver v15 to catalog and display the albums, DVDs, and ripped Bulrays located on my server. JRiver seamlessly calls TMT3 for (ripped, unencrypted) Bluray playback. On my remote HTPCs, TMT3 handles actual Bluray disk playback. Beyond TV runs an 8 channel tuner farm on the server for clear QAM & analog TV recording (from Cox Cbale), and TV playback is via BTV's Link client. So far, nothing has come along that's as bullet proof as BTV for a decent PVR solution. Yup, Sage was pretty, and close to BTV in performance, but I was never really tempted after lurking around on Sage's forums. One of my few good decisions it seems...

I started with XBMC about three years ago and loved it. I lived with its inability to reverse a playing DVD and a few other quirks, because I really enjoyed their 10' interface. When the audio became problematic after Dharma was released, I finally gave JRiver a shot.

I've never looked back. You can use the regular windowed views for your tagging work, and when you're happy with it, shift to Theater View and use it with an MCE remote receiver and Harmony remote (I'm still using Event Ghost to translate remote signals to key-stroke output for the three programs I use on my HTPCs).

The tagging options and organization of views is staggering, especially for a user with little database/tagging background that is interested in decent data views with only a few options.

This is easily overcome with a few weekends of serious effort and communication with their (excellent) forum.

Yes, their wikis are typically outdated and the website is pretty sparse. Use the forum; search, ask and you will quickly be taken care of.

Does JRiver have a usable 10' interface for serious HTPC users? Unqualified yes.

Does it have a windowed view (like WMP) to make working with the set-up details easy? Yes, XBMC didn't when I left it, I don't know if does now, but I doubt it.

Does it have all the pretties XBMC had? Nope, but it offers better audio and video performance (hands down, unqualified, it is better than XBMC when I left it).

Of particular interest to me, the typical user will seldom (if ever) need to do anything outside of the menu choices the running program offers. I quit XBMC when the audio broke and steps for copying files here, installing codecs there, and having to do these operations only on even numbered Tuesdays got too complicated...

With JRiver's exceptional audio (ASIO output is supported, for all audio, even for video sound tracks), excellent DVD playback, and now unencrypted Bluray (.ts) playback support, I'm very glad I switched from XBMC.

I've never felt better about spending $50 for a program.

As their PVR support matures, I may be able to drop BTV and have the single app for my HTPC that I've always wanted
post #206 of 1480 Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
The key to MC16 is getting the all data fields filled in, so Theater View can sort/list and display everything correctly (like TV Series, Genres, Artists, etc.). Depends on what you want to sort and display.
There are external scrapers that will collect the data (I use MyMovies collection manager (free for basic version)). But you will still probably need to fill in a few fields yourself. Once you learn the shorcuts (F2, copy/paste, fill from filename, replace with, how to select muliple records) it's not too hard.

For movies, you only need highlight them, right click to choose the option "lookup movie info.." choose themoviedb (just hope that hasn't gone to the dogs ) and bingo instant metadata - no need for MyMovies - perhaps not as automated as some are used to, but a massive improvement none the less.

TV Show scraping, now don't know quite how far away that is, but that to me is all that's needed to make this app the most feature laden of all the Media Center apps.

Keep up the good work guys.
post #207 of 1480 Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Will J river output lossless analogue out dts-ma through a xonar hdav 1.3 deluxe sound card, or would I have to use the tmt player included in the package?

And could someone confirm the connections to do this? (intel h67 motherboard) graphics card out> hdmi>hdav 1.3 deluxe>daughter board>analogue out??? seams odd to run a cable outside the case and back into it.
post #208 of 1480 Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbaccoustics View Post
Will J river output lossless analogue out dts-ma through a xonar hdav 1.3 deluxe sound card, or would I have to use the tmt player included in the package?

And could someone confirm the connections to do this? (intel h67 motherboard) graphics card out> hdmi>hdav 1.3 deluxe>daughter board>analogue out??? seams odd to run a cable outside the case and back into it.
J. River can decode DTS-HD if you take the dtsdecoderdll.dll file from your ArcSoft installation and copy it to C:\\Windows\\System32 (for 32-bit Windows 7) and C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64 (for 64-bit Windows 7).

Are you connecting your video via HDMI to your receiver or to your TV? Since J. River can decode everything (including DTS-HD with the dtsdecoderdll.dll file), you can send PCM out over HDMI to a receiver and not even use the Asus HDAV. Alternatively, you can connect directly to your TV with the HDMI for video and use the analog output on the Asus HDAV directly to an amplifier or receiver. I use the second method with my Asus Essence ST and daughtercard.
post #209 of 1480 Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
J. River can decode DTS-HD if you take the dtsdecoderdll.dll file from your ArcSoft installation and copy it to C:\\Windows\\System32 (for 32-bit Windows 7) and C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64 (for 64-bit Windows 7).
You should put a copy of dtsdecoderdll.dll in the "Lav folder" (located at C: > User> UserName> App Data >Roaming >J River > Media Center 16 >Plugins >Lav) if you are running RO or RO+HQ.
post #210 of 1480 Old 08-23-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
You should put a copy of dtsdecoderdll.dll in the "Lav folder" (located at C: > User> UserName> App Data >Roaming >J River > Media Center 16 >Plugins >Lav) if you are running RO or RO+HQ.
J. River overwrites the LAV folder when it does its updates. To make sure you always have it, you need to put the file in the folder(s) I specified. Nevcariel programmed LAV Audio to look in those folders if the file isn't available in the LAV folder.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page