JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 319Likes

post #2071 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I am looking to add another piece to my build that I have been working on, now it is time for a Bluray drive. There are so many and I am not sure which one will best suit my needs. Can any of you JRiver guys recommend a specific Bluray drive for both ripping Blurays to my external hard drive and playback of Bluray disk? Will be using either anyDVD-HD or Mkv for ripping and JRiver for playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
I am looking to add another piece to my build that I have been working on, now it is time for a Bluray drive. There are so many and I am not sure which one will best suit my needs. Can any of you JRiver guys recommend a specific Bluray drive for both ripping Blurays to my external hard drive and playback of Bluray disk? Will be using either anyDVD-HD or Mkv for ripping and JRiver for playback.
I have one of http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BH16NS40-.../dp/B00AK29B26

I don't remember why I picked that particular model, IIRC they're all much of a muchness. It works fine though
post #2073 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I have a LG Mosdic as well it does the job well, I've ripped hundreds of CD, and a couple Blu rays but it has hold pass rapid ripping session without a hiccup.

I have check on the exact model, but don't recall being that expensive as above one, but not cheap either. I happen to get two, as I have a dual optical cavity on my HTPC case.

Djoel

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears
Display: Samsung PN64D7000
Source: Oppo 105D, HTPC Haswell 16TB Jriver 21, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 4
Power Management :Panamax M5300-PM

Last edited by Djoel; 09-25-2015 at 07:45 AM.
post #2074 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
alright here is the deal

I bought JRiver 19. A few weeks later 20 came out. I never upgraded because it never worked and JRiver told me not to bother upgrading until I got it working.

I gave up and uninstalled 19. 45 days ago I installed 20. I have not purchased it yet.(obviously I should not have too but it is what it is) Now 21 is out.

Do I have to uninstall 20 and install 21?

Again go though the set up and preferences?
I would install 21 with 20 still installed this way it will pick up all your sertings, preferences, etc. Then you leave 20 srill installed or you can uninstall when ready.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #2075 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 356 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2515 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

Atmos tracks can be downloaded here. I downloaded a few. One works, one doesn't through JRiver. The Horizon Atmos tracks audio says I need to use the bitstream audio for Atmos to work. JRiver is set to Bitstream. The other Atmos track I tried brings up Dolby Atmos display on the Denon 7200 AVR and seems to work as expected.

Can someone else try Horizon track through JRiver?

For reference I'm using JRiver v. 18.

To download just click the trailer picture in the center of the page.
http://www.demo-world.eu/download-2d...by_horizon.jpg

I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
post #2076 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For reference I'm using JRiver v. 18.
Downloading now.

There have been a lot of decoder updates since MC18.
post #2077 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Downloading now.

There have been a lot of decoder updates since MC18.
I agree. I down loaded and upgraded. I downloaded the JRiver 21 back end that came out but for now, since it suits me, I am running it on 20 because that's all that was out that was considered "stable" by Jriver at the time. I could not get an Atmos track to play with MC18. MC18 would just freeze on me. Now, at least I get the TRUHD track from an Atmos track.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #2078 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The Horizon Atmos track works fine for me both decoded and bitstreamed. I choose Null Output to bitstream to since I don't have a receiver, but that should still be able to test. Audio Path shows that it is bitstreaming fine.

Grab the latest LAV Filters and place in your the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\LAV Filters folder. Overwrite the existing LAV Filters. If something breaks, just delete the LAV Filters folder and JRiver will automatically download (when you play a video) the last version that was used by MC18.
post #2079 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) is taking place in Denver, CO from October 2-4. From the website:

The 12th Annual Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) is the largest consumer audio and home entertainment show in the United States. Simply put: “mega stereo systems!” Denver’s own audio wonderland now features over 160 exhibit spaces representing more than 400 hundred companies from North and South America, Europe, Australia and Asia.

Attendees are encouraged to go from room-to-room, interact with salespeople and engineers, have a seat and casually listen. Many bring their own iPods, discs or vinyl records, as most exhibitors are happy to play one or two favorite songs as a demonstration of sound quality. A variety of equipment is demonstrated, ranging from affordable audio systems to ultra-expensive high-end gear.

RMAF also features live entertainment, informative seminars, equipment show specials, and prize drawings throughout the weekend.

Last year JRiver Media Center had a room with a two channel system that featured JTR Speakers 215RT speakers. We used a plasma TV to display JRiver's Theater View.

This year, instead of a "mega stereo system" the room will be a "mega home theater" with concert Blu-rays.
I'm bringing my HTPC, Motu 1248, amplifiers, and GIK Acoustics room treatments for the room.
JTR Speakers is bringing 5 of their 210RT (Reference Tower) speakers and two Captivator 1400 subwoofers.
Seymour Screen Excellence is providing a 126" diagonal Enlightor-4K acoustically transparent projector screen.
JVC is providing a DLA RS67 projector.

We will be showing a movie in the room on Friday and Saturday evening starting at 7:45. Food and drinks will be provided. Please let me know if you would like to attend. Saturday is already fairly filled up, but let me know anyway and I'll see if we can squeeze you in.
HTPCat likes this.
post #2080 of 2259 Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Now the above sounds like a party .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #2081 of 2259 Old 09-27-2015, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setting up Jriver to stream DSD to Denon X7200WA

I've been running JRiver MC20 for 4-5 months to my Oppo BDP-95. I recently purchased a Denon x7200wa and one of the things I bought it for was to support streaming DSD (.dff) files to it. I can stream FLAC files without problems, but when I attempt to stream a 2.8 2 channel .dff file to the Denon I see the artwork come up, the file type is WAV 176kz and I hear hiss.

I've got Bitstream DSD set in advance on the DLNA Servers page. It doesn't matter what I set Audio>Format to (PCM 24, PCM L16 No header, etc.) things stay the same (which is actually what I would expect).

Note that I have tried to set up the Denon as a device but is says to configure things through the DNLA servers page.

I've enclosed a screen shot below. I'm sure this is something simple that I've missed and any help would be appreciated. A LOT!

By the way, when I put this same file on a USB thumb drive and attach it to the Denon is plays as a DSD file, so the file appears not to be the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jriverscreenshot.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	964874  
post #2082 of 2259 Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgoble View Post
I've been running JRiver MC20 for 4-5 months to my Oppo BDP-95. I recently purchased a Denon x7200wa and one of the things I bought it for was to support streaming DSD (.dff) files to it. I can stream FLAC files without problems, but when I attempt to stream a 2.8 2 channel .dff file to the Denon I see the artwork come up, the file type is WAV 176kz and I hear hiss.

I've got Bitstream DSD set in advance on the DLNA Servers page. It doesn't matter what I set Audio>Format to (PCM 24, PCM L16 No header, etc.) things stay the same (which is actually what I would expect).

Note that I have tried to set up the Denon as a device but is says to configure things through the DNLA servers page.

I've enclosed a screen shot below. I'm sure this is something simple that I've missed and any help would be appreciated. A LOT!

By the way, when I put this same file on a USB thumb drive and attach it to the Denon is plays as a DSD file, so the file appears not to be the problem.
^^
You actually want the DoPE option turned off. By setting the audio format to "original", you are already forcing your DSF/DFF files to go to the player as DSD and not as PCM. The DoPE setting is an entirely different thing - and there are really very few DoPE-compliant renderers out there.

BTW - did you try using the same features with the 105? I stream DSF files to my 103 all the time with no issues.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #2083 of 2259 Old 09-27-2015, 08:35 PM

DSD via JRiver to Denon x7200wa - part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
^^
You actually want the DoPE option turned off. By setting the audio format to "original", you are already forcing your DSF/DFF files to go to the player as DSD and not as PCM. The DoPE setting is an entirely different thing - and there are really very few DoPE-compliant renderers out there.

BTW - did you try using the same features with the 105? I stream DSF files to my 103 all the time with no issues.
Thanks for your reply. I tried unchecking the Bitstream DSD option before I sent this mail and what happened then was a big piece of artwork showed up on the TV screen and no sound. I wonder if the artwork is too big, but as I said I played this file from a usb flash drive and it worked perfectly.

I wish I had a Oppo 103 or 105, but I have a 95 and they don't play DSD files.

Thanks for your response. Any other ideas?
post #2084 of 2259 Old 09-28-2015, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The Problem Is That No Computer has hdmi output of dsd/dsf that i know of, Have you tried to stream the files to your oppo and then have the oppo send them to your receiver via hdmi? I would be shocked if any production receiver does dsd anyway except hdmi due to Sony Copyright protection and potential of a lawsuit...I can stream dsd to my oppo and it will pass it to my prepro via hdmi , also I have a krell connect which will pass the files via tos or coax to my PsAudio DSDac or I can stream them directly to my DSDac In DOPe
post #2085 of 2259 Old 09-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
The Problem Is That No Computer has hdmi output of dsd/dsf that i know of, Have you tried to stream the files to your oppo and then have the oppo send them to your receiver via hdmi? I would be shocked if any production receiver does dsd anyway except hdmi due to Sony Copyright protection and potential of a lawsuit...I can stream dsd to my oppo and it will pass it to my prepro via hdmi , also I have a krell connect which will pass the files via tos or coax to my PsAudio DSDac or I can stream them directly to my DSDac In DOPe
He's not using the PC as a player. What the computer can or cannot do with regard to its HDMI outputs is not relevant to the DLNA/Media Network server features of JRiver. If you are using DLNA to stream media from JRiver to a media player (like the ones embedded in his receiver, or the Oppos) then the computer that JRiver is running on is not actually "playing" (rendering) the media - the destination DLNA player is doing so instead.

(It may not be immediately obvious, but a thorough reading of the original question shows him using JRiver's media network features, which means that he is streaming over DLNA - to his receiver, which is presumably a DLNA player and/or renderer. (It is)

Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 09-28-2015 at 02:42 PM.
post #2086 of 2259 Old 09-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I tried unchecking the Bitstream DSD option before I sent this mail and what happened then was a big piece of artwork showed up on the TV screen and no sound. I wonder if the artwork is too big, but as I said I played this file from a usb flash drive and it worked perfectly.

I wish I had a Oppo 103 or 105, but I have a 95 and they don't play DSD files.

Thanks for your response. Any other ideas?
Can you try OShare just as a test and see if you have the same issue there? If OShare works, then I would get on the Interact forums and bring this up with the JRiver guys. If, on the other hand, you get the same problems when using OShare, then I would suspect something wrong with the DLNA implementation on the player (receiver).

The other possibility is a networking problem of some kind - since that is the other difference between the USB flash drive scenario and the DLNA streaming scenario.

post #2087 of 2259 Old 09-28-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Can you try OShare just as a test and see if you have the same issue there? If OShare works, then I would get on the Interact forums and bring this up with the JRiver guys. If, on the other hand, you get the same problems when using OShare, then I would suspect something wrong with the DLNA implementation on the player (receiver).

The other possibility is a networking problem of some kind - since that is the other difference between the USB flash drive scenario and the DLNA streaming scenario.
Laird

I tried OShare. I just opened up the DLNA published site and navigated through the menus where the file was and selected the file to play it. OShare /Denon could play the file as a DSD this way without a problem. Since I had always been pushing the files from JRiver through my computer, JRemote or the Denon app I decided to try to navigate to the file via the DLNA (Audiophile 24-bit DAC) I had set up in the same manner. When I did that I was able to play the file as a DSD file.

So the question now is why can't I used JRemote or the Denon app for this purpose. It seems like there must be some kind of setting issue, or a problem with JRiver or the Denon. Do you have any other suggestions?

I have posted my problem in other places and corresponded with a person on JRiver who had me run a utility to make sure the Denon supported DSD, which it obviously does. I will post over there again with these results also to see what anyone can suggest.

Thanks very much for this suggestion which has shed some more light on this. If I ever resolve this totally I will be sure to post here for others benefit.

Last edited by philgoble; 09-28-2015 at 05:19 PM.
post #2088 of 2259 Old 09-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Wink

Quote:
He's not using the PC as a player. What the computer can or cannot do with regard to its HDMI outputs is not relevant to the DLNA/Media Network server features of JRiver. If you are using DLNA to stream media from JRiver to a media player (like the ones embedded in his receiver, or the Oppos) then the computer that JRiver is running on is not actually "playing" (rendering) the media - the destination DLNA player is doing so instead.

(It may not be immediately obvious, but a thorough reading of the original question shows him using JRiver's media network features, which means that he is streaming over DLNA - to his receiver, which is presumably a DLNA player and/or renderer. (It is)
I was Confused because NO Mass Produced Receiver will Do dsd over the network primarily for the same reason that i specified, they will be in litigation with sony due to existing agreements concerning dsd over hdmi which sony controls completely last i checked you had to use a sony Approved dac chip and sony software to avoid getting slapped with an injunction...The Bottom line from what I was told was if you want to do dsd/sacd over hdmi and you are making a processor Sony wont let you do streamed..I did read the question and i gave a convoluted answer to avoid having to spell this out ...If you purchase a stand-alone audiophile dac and bridge you can do what you want and depending only the model they go up to 4xdsd but anything over double rate is a waste anyway..or buy an oppo 105d but it can stream ONLY single rate DSF
post #2089 of 2259 Old 09-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Wink didn't think i had to spell it out

Quote:

I was Confused because NO Mass Produced Receiver will Do dsd over the network primarily for the same reason that i specified, they will be in litigation with sony due to existing agreements concerning dsd over hdmi which sony controls completely last i checked you had to use a sony Approved dac chip and sony software to avoid getting slapped with an injunction...The Bottom line from what I was told was if you want to do dsd/sacd over hdmi and you are making a processor Sony wont let you do streamed..I did read the question and i gave a convoluted answer to avoid having to spell this out ...If you purchase a stand-alone audiophile dac and bridge you can do what you want and depending only the model they go up to 4xdsd but anything over double rate is a waste anyway..or buy an oppo 105d but it can stream ONLY single rate DSF
post #2090 of 2259 Old 09-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Laird

I tried OShare. I just opened up the DLNA published site and navigated through the menus where the file was and selected the file to play it. OShare /Denon could play the file as a DSD this way without a problem. Since I had always been pushing the files from JRiver through my computer, JRemote or the Denon app I decided to try to navigate to the file via the DLNA (Audiophile 24-bit DAC) I had set up in the same manner. When I did that I was able to play the file as a DSD file.

So the question now is why can't I used JRemote or the Denon app for this purpose. It seems like there must be some kind of setting issue, or a problem with JRiver or the Denon. Do you have any other suggestions?

I have posted my problem in other places and corresponded with a person on JRiver who had me run a utility to make sure the Denon supported DSD, which it obviously does. I will post over there again with these results also to see what anyone can suggest.

Thanks very much for this suggestion which has shed some more light on this. If I ever resolve this totally I will be sure to post here for others benefit.
Ok - so this is subtle - and the problem could be in any one of several places. So let's knock another one out now (or not ;-) )

I actually doubt that the problem is with JRemote. Here is an experiment to check that out. Fire up the JRiver UI on the PC on which it is installed. Then use the UI on that PC to "play" the same DSD file to the Denon. (Yes - you can do this straight from the JRMC UI). My guess is that you will see the same behavior that you see using JRemote.

When you browse and play media from the Denon front end, you are using the Denon as a DLNA "Player". When you use JRemote to browse media and "push" it to the Denon, the Denon is acting instead as a DLNA "Renderer".

One disturbingly-common problem is that many Renderer implementations are "afterthoughts". The folks who program them have already programmed the player implementation and realize that they are 90% of the way to a renderer. They then go implement almost all of the needed renderer-specific functionality because it is nearly free. The catch - they miss details - like responding PERFECTLY ACCURATELY to DLNA queries about what is supported and such, or using an appropriate de-jitter buffer on the network side of the renderer. I have seen this on numerous occasions - including with Oppo renderer implementations at one time or another. "Ooh - we added support for another media type. YAY US!!!.... OOPS, we forget to change the answer to the 'What media types does your renderer support?' DLNA message...BAD Us. Bad dog!" This mistake and its cousins are incredibly easy to make - and I (a 52-year-old software developer who started writing code in high school) could easily see myself making those same kinds of mistakes. it only takes a very small detail missed in this scenario.

So the problem is probably a subtle incompatibility between the DLNA RENDERER implementation in the Denon and the DLNA SERVER implementation in JRMC. This could be due to any number of issues - but the JRiver folks should be able to get you a long way - even if, in the end, they tell you that Denon needs to fix their renderer.

post #2091 of 2259 Old 09-28-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Ok - so this is subtle - and the problem could be in any one of several places. So let's knock another one out now (or not ;-) )

I actually doubt that the problem is with JRemote. Here is an experiment to check that out. Fire up the JRiver UI on the PC on which it is installed. Then use the UI on that PC to "play" the same DSD file to the Denon. (Yes - you can do this straight from the JRMC UI). My guess is that you will see the same behavior that you see using JRemote.

When you browse and play media from the Denon front end, you are using the Denon as a DLNA "Player". When you use JRemote to browse media and "push" it to the Denon, the Denon is acting instead as a DLNA "Renderer".

One disturbingly-common problem is that many Renderer implementations are "afterthoughts". The folks who program them have already programmed the player implementation and realize that they are 90% of the way to a renderer. They then go implement almost all of the needed renderer-specific functionality because it is nearly free. The catch - they miss details - like responding PERFECTLY ACCURATELY to DLNA queries about what is supported and such, or using an appropriate de-jitter buffer on the network side of the renderer. I have seen this on numerous occasions - including with Oppo renderer implementations at one time or another. "Ooh - we added support for another media type. YAY US!!!.... OOPS, we forget to change the answer to the 'What media types does your renderer support?' DLNA message...BAD Us. Bad dog!" This mistake and its cousins are incredibly easy to make - and I (a 52-year-old software developer who started writing code in high school) could easily see myself making those same kinds of mistakes. it only takes a very small detail missed in this scenario.

So the problem is probably a subtle incompatibility between the DLNA RENDERER implementation in the Denon and the DLNA SERVER implementation in JRMC. This could be due to any number of issues - but the JRiver folks should be able to get you a long way - even if, in the end, they tell you that Denon needs to fix their renderer.

Thanks for your response. You probably missed it as I haven't been terribly clear in my posts, but the first thing I tried to do was play the file in the JRiver UI on the Denon. I could play everything else besides a DSD without any problems and was pretty excited. I then tried DSD last and found issues. I tried the Denon remote and JRemote later as that would be my preferred method for browsing and playing music. They both work for everything but DSD. JRemote offers a nicer looking UI and it sorts the playlists in the proper sequence. The Denon puts the playlists in alphabetic order and I couldn't figure out a way to change that but I may have missed it.

Anyway, as you surmised they all behave the same. I'm actually glad I can at least pick the DSD files from the Media Player screen navigating through folders, which I carefully organized by Artist and Album and Song myself anyway. The negative is this isn't as elegant and I won't be able to use playlists, which kind of stinks.

Hopefully the people on the JRiver forum will respond to my post about this, but as someone in the software industry dealing with a customer the last few days who thinks we are the problem when we already proved we aren't, I can say that vendors resolving these types of issues can take a long time (or sometimes never resolve them). I would think enough people use JRiver, Denon and DSD files that I am not the only person in the universe experiencing this but I'm not making a lot of noise, and sometimes noise gets attention.

I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me. I got a lot of good information on various AVS threads that helped me narrow down what receiver to get, and this is another example of people helping one another.

Phil
post #2092 of 2259 Old 09-30-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 7545
Quote:
alright here is the deal

I bought JRiver 19. A few weeks later 20 came out. I never upgraded because it never worked and JRiver told me not to bother upgrading until I got it working.

I gave up and uninstalled 19. 45 days ago I installed 20. I have not purchased it yet.(obviously I should not have too but it is what it is) Now 21 is out.

Do I have to uninstall 20 and install 21?

Again go though the set up and preferences?
So can I just purchase the 20 that is now in trial and upgrade to the 21 in a month or so?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #2093 of 2259 Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't think you can buy a v20 license any more. You can buy a v21 license and install v20 (IIRC).
eljr likes this.
post #2094 of 2259 Old 10-05-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post
I don't think you can buy a v20 license any more. You can buy a v21 license and install v20 (IIRC).
indeed, I bought a 21 upgrade and it gave me 20.

MC seems overly complicated for the end user at every turn.

How about this question, should be a lay up with a very easy one touch solution but I can't find it.

How do you combine double albums into one album on JRivers? It come up as a second folder that says Disc 2.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #2095 of 2259 Old 10-05-2015, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

How do you combine double albums into one album on JRivers? It come up as a second folder that says Disc 2.
That depends on what you mean. If the album titles and artists are the same for both, then it already is one album - you are just viewing it in a scheme which separates by disc number.

You could either eliminate the entry under the [Disc #] number field, or use a view that doesn't take into account disc numbers.

However, you might also be talking about the folder contents in Windows Explorer: I the two discs of an album are showing up under separate folders, and you don't want that, you can also "fix" that too:

Use Rename, Move & Copy files to create a folder substructure that does not figure into it disk number.

I get the feeling, though, that you are perhaps using MC in a way that is sub-optimal, and that once you "get it", it will open up a huge number of possibilities to you. Have you read the getting started and mid-level user guides?
post #2096 of 2259 Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How about this question, should be a lay up with a very easy one touch solution but I can't find it.

The only time that I get multi-disc sets spread across several folders is when I am sloppy about cleaning up downloaded metadata and forget to fix the brain-damaged practice of putting things like "[disc 1]" in the title - which is unfortunately a pervasive practice - rather than keeping the title the same for all discs in the set and properly using the disc# field.

I try to remember to review and clean up downloaded metadata, but sometimes I miss details and have to go back and fix. As noted by others here, you can reorganize all or part of your collection using rules that take the metadata tags and use them for the folder hierarchy in just about any imaginable configuration.

post #2097 of 2259 Old 10-05-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post
the album titles and artists are the same for both, then it already is one album - you are just viewing it in a scheme which separates by disc number.
I will need to change each track number or they will play out of sequence?

post #2098 of 2259 Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post
you might also be talking about the folder contents in Windows Explorer: I the two discs of an album are showing up under separate folders, and you don't want that, you can also "fix" that too:

Use Rename, Move & Copy files to create a folder substructure that does not figure into it disk number.
I changed it in Windows hoping it would help. Now I have to change it back. This si never a problem in Windows or anywhere else I have ever used a player.

Quote:
I get the feeling, though, that you are perhaps using MC in a way that is sub-optimal, and that once you "get it", it will open up a huge number of possibilities to you. Have you read the getting started and mid-level user guides?
I think the large number of possibilities is the problem. No way someone off the street is gonna use this. I have been wrestling this for over a year. I see it's potential so I keep at it. All the connectivity issues has keep me from exploring the actual player.

First I have heard of a getting started and mid-level user guide. I guess the tons of verbiage on how too just overwhelmed me and I fled. I just found it under the 144 frequently asked questions section. Thank you, I will read it.

I just listen to music. All day. Every day. It's what I do. I though a media player would be designed for someone like me.

post #2099 of 2259 Old 10-05-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I will need to change each track number or they will play out of sequence?
I think I know your issue now. Under the album tag, you probably have Disc 1 and Disc 2 added to the Album title. Remove that if you do. The Album name is the album name - it doesn't need the disc number to be in there. Make sure that Disc number is filled in in the [Disc #] tag. Then when you view you music under album, sort by disc number first. All disc one tracks will be listed first, then all disc 2.

The problem is that the software cannot read your mind. You have to use your mind to realise "How could it know what I want? What does it need to know, to understand what I want?" And then you provide that information. It tries to make very few assumptions, but perhaps the default views could make just a few more. It can be difficult for some people who do not think with strict logical acumen, and that can be a lot of people. Others just find it all makes sense and they get on with it.

A new interface that has been considered may may a few more of those commonly-used assumptions.

Last edited by fitbrit; 10-05-2015 at 10:54 AM.
post #2100 of 2259 Old 10-05-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Buying a license doesn't automatically download the correct version. Just download MC21 from jriver.com and install it.
Quote:
It's JRiver, not JRivers, please.

Check the tags for the files. If the album name is the same and the Disc # tags are correct, it will be a single album.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page