JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 383Likes

post #2191 of 2387 Old 03-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Just started using JRiver with my Amazon Echo. Pretty slick interface and usually faster than searching through the file hierarchy to find a song sometimes. Just need to get used to the "speak."
Details on how you are doing this? I have an Echo and just ordered a dot. I planned to use the dot in my home theater space to control lights. Controlling Jriver would be an unexpected bonus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2387 Old 03-27-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 75
There is third party support for the Echo and MC.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...topic=102709.0

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #2193 of 2387 Old 03-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
Details on how you are doing this? I have an Echo and just ordered a dot. I planned to use the dot in my home theater space to control lights. Controlling Jriver would be an unexpected bonus.
Never mind. I found the directions and have it working. At first I expected the playback through my Echo, but that is not happening, unless it is possible to make the Echo a zone. I can use it now for zone playback. Now if I can figure out how to have the Echo control my Harmony remote to turn on my receiver for zone playback, or bypass the Harmony.

post #2194 of 2387 Old 03-27-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
Never mind. I found the directions and have it working. At first I expected the playback through my Echo, but that is not happening, unless it is possible to make the Echo a zone. I can use it now for zone playback. Now if I can figure out how to have the Echo control my Harmony remote to turn on my receiver for zone playback, or bypass the Harmony.
I'm using my Echo to send commands to my CAPS PC running JRiver. Beautiful sound outpouring from my Salks.
post #2195 of 2387 Old 03-28-2016, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Posted this on the Plex thread and am interested in the views of JRiver users.

In the middle of building a system for music and am curious if anyone is familiar with this scenario.

My flac collection is on an otherwise clean SSD, now attached to a router's USB 3 port. My AVR, Marantz 7008, is connected to the router via CAT. I wish to use a Windows 10 tablet to control playing the flacs.

Spent hours yesterday setting up Plex Server and client on the tablet only to discover Plex's client doesn't recognize the Marantz player. Tried bubbleupnp, but no matter what I tried it wouldn't run on the Win 10 device.

Today, dropped $200 on an nVidia Shield and the Plex client now plays through the AVR, progress. Have no interest in the Shield other than it passes hi-rez audio unaltered, unlike Roku. No interest in Chromecast because it lacks an ethernet port.

Does anyone have experience using JRiver in a similar configuration and will it straightaway recognize the Marantz? If so, how does JRiver's metadata presentation on a Win 10 tablet compare to the Plex client?

My objective is a combination of unaltered audio from the SSD, low resource utilization on the puny tablet and high WAF of the tablet's presentation.
post #2196 of 2387 Old 03-28-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Posted this on the Plex thread and am interested in the views of JRiver users.

In the middle of building a system for music and am curious if anyone is familiar with this scenario.

My flac collection is on an otherwise clean SSD, now attached to a router's USB 3 port. My AVR, Marantz 7008, is connected to the router via CAT. I wish to use a Windows 10 tablet to control playing the flacs.

Spent hours yesterday setting up Plex Server and client on the tablet only to discover Plex's client doesn't recognize the Marantz player. Tried bubbleupnp, but no matter what I tried it wouldn't run on the Win 10 device.

Today, dropped $200 on an nVidia Shield and the Plex client now plays through the AVR, progress. Have no interest in the Shield other than it passes hi-rez audio unaltered, unlike Roku. No interest in Chromecast because it lacks an ethernet port.

Does anyone have experience using JRiver in a similar configuration and will it straightaway recognize the Marantz? If so, how does JRiver's metadata presentation on a Win 10 tablet compare to the Plex client?

My objective is a combination of unaltered audio from the SSD, low resource utilization on the puny tablet and high WAF of the tablet's presentation.
If the Marantz is conected to your network, and it supports UPnP/DLNA, you can install MC on the Win10 tablet, activate Media Network in settings, and the Marantz should show up under Playing Now as a device you can play to.

Our wiki has topics on DLNA and Media Network.
bmcn likes this.

post #2197 of 2387 Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post
If the Marantz is conected to your network, and it supports UPnP/DLNA, you can install MC on the Win10 tablet, activate Media Network in settings, and the Marantz should show up under Playing Now as a device you can play to.

Our wiki has topics on DLNA and Media Network.
The Marantz supports DLNA and I presume UPnP, which is turned off on my router for security, which I won't knowingly compromise. Will read the wiki. Any comment on MC's metadata presentation on a Win 10 tablet?

Read somewhere y'all are working on a DVR including cc/drm content, hope it comes to fruition. Thanks Jim.
post #2198 of 2387 Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 9060
How does JRiver manage to drop the date on 12 non associated LP's at once?

Does it drop other tags that I just have not noticed yet?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2199 of 2387 Old 03-31-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

MC wouldn't do that on its own. The possibilities are user error or disk error.

MC makes automatic backups. You could restore one. File > Library ...
eljr likes this.

post #2200 of 2387 Old 04-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Has Anyone else ever had entire movies disappear, I have had several vanish out of my library with only a empty folder left that I am unable to add to or erase
post #2201 of 2387 Old 04-02-2016, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
Has Anyone else ever had entire movies disappear, I have had several vanish out of my library with only a empty folder left that I am unable to add to or erase
Where do the movies actually reside? Have you checked to verify that movies are still on the drive and that the drive is still connected.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #2202 of 2387 Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For today's adventure, JRiver told me my trial period was up and would not open. After 2 years.
Anyway,
I fished out the code which it told me was no good.
I tried a second time and it gave me another message but still rejected it.
Finally I restarted my PC then when I went to open Jriver it again told me my trial was over. However, thankfully, this time it took the code.
WTF?

All the time it's something.

Two days ago when I turned it on, two albums were separated. Some songs on one album, some on the other. One of the two was separated into 3 albums. They could not be emerged back to one. I had to delete them and rip them anew.

and of course a few days ago, a handful of albums just dropped the date.

I wouldn't ever think of tagging my classical music the way I'd like for fear of what I might hit to scramble everything.

The far and away most frustrating piece of audio I have ever used... in over 50 years. More time spent getting it to work than I spent getting all my other systems together, wiring, connecting moving....

Sorry, I had to vent.

any things I can guard against that keep causing these things?

It's got to be some kind of interplay between my PC and Jriver, but why, how?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2203 of 2387 Old 04-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
For today's adventure, JRiver told me my trial period was up and would not open. After 2 years.
Anyway,
I fished out the code which it told me was no good.
I tried a second time and it gave me another message but still rejected it.
Finally I restarted my PC then when I went to open Jriver it again told me my trial was over. However, thankfully, this time it took the code.
WTF?

All the time it's something.

Two days ago when I turned it on, two albums were separated. Some songs on one album, some on the other. One of the two was separated into 3 albums. They could not be emerged back to one. I had to delete them and rip them anew.

and of course a few days ago, a handful of albums just dropped the date.

I wouldn't ever think of tagging my classical music the way I'd like for fear of what I might hit to scramble everything.

The far and away most frustrating piece of audio I have ever used... in over 50 years. More time spent getting it to work than I spent getting all my other systems together, wiring, connecting moving....

Sorry, I had to vent.

any things I can guard against that keep causing these things?

It's got to be some kind of interplay between my PC and Jriver, but why, how?
When you say it dropped the date Is this a SACD file? Tags aren't stored in a SACD iso file and myself and a friend have both found that JR reimports files and thus it clears out most of the tags. You can check the import date tag to see if it did that. Both my friend and I have had to turn off the auto import for our music directories as we kept loosing taged info we updated. Reimporting FLAC file for instance wasn't quite as bad as it would reimport the tagged info from the file but other info like date lasted played etc are cleared.
post #2204 of 2387 Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Shrike645,
MC can store the tag data in the file (in addition to MC's database), but this is a setting that can be turned on or off. This would explain what you saw if you reimported a file that did not contain the information.

eljr,
If you change the date or the system name on a machine, MC will require the license to be restored.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

If you see an album split into several albums, try editing the Album Artist tag.
Brian Hampton likes this.

post #2205 of 2387 Old 04-15-2016, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post
When you say it dropped the date Is this a SACD file? Tags aren't stored in a SACD iso file and myself and a friend have both found that JR reimports files and thus it clears out most of the tags. You can check the import date tag to see if it did that. Both my friend and I have had to turn off the auto import for our music directories as we kept loosing taged info we updated. Reimporting FLAC file for instance wasn't quite as bad as it would reimport the tagged info from the file but other info like date lasted played etc are cleared.
No, it had dropped the date on 10 random CD's last week. Easy to fix. I organize by date so I immediately noticed.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2206 of 2387 Old 04-15-2016, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Shrike645,
MC can store the tag data in the file (in addition to MC's database), but this is a setting that can be turned on or off. This would explain what you saw if you reimported a file that did not contain the information.

eljr,
If you change the date or the system name on a machine, MC will require the license to be restored.

If you see an album split into several albums, try editing the Album Artist tag.
thank you very much. Understanding and help is greatly appreciated.
I test a genius but this program renders me the village idiot.
Indeed, I did rename my computer a few days ago. No other program reacted at all so I made no association.

As to the albums separating on their own they were both various artist CD's so they became sorted by the artist as a separate album. No clue how it found that info as they were not recently played or touched in anyway. They had been under various till they self split.What was really frustrating was not being able to put them back together. Even though I made sure all tags were the same, they would not merge.
This was a similar problem that occurs with album art on too many occasions.
I'll paste from a clipboard or point to a file but it won't take. When I delete the entire album and re-rip, it will. (or at least has so far)

I really want to set sub tags for sorting but.... I am just so fearful of one wrong move changing the world as I know it.
bmcn likes this.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2207 of 2387 Old 04-15-2016, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Shrike645,

eljr,

No I was talking about SACD iso file and these do not store tags. I didn't reimport them, JR did through the auto import even though they had already been done. It does them again and again. Got tired of updating by tag info so I turned auto import off. Same with my friend.

I'm using a Windows Home Server V1 to store the file and it is using drive extender which is part of V1. With my friend I think it only started to happen to him when he moved his files from some dlink NAS devices to a windows 10 "server". It happened to him 3 times before he did the same as me and turned off auto import.
post #2208 of 2387 Old 04-15-2016, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

I should add that we are both on the latest version )although it has happened to me for at least the last version also). We are both in the IT industry for many years and know our way around hardware and software.
post #2209 of 2387 Old 04-15-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post
I should add that we are both on the latest version )although it has happened to me for at least the last version also). We are both in the IT industry for many years and know our way around hardware and software.
I can't image a regular Joe mastering this program without tutelage. lol

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2210 of 2387 Old 04-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mastering? Probably not. It's not too bad and quite easy for general playback. In fact playing with high quality is easy. With any program that allows the amount of customization for organizing that JR does it will have a learning curve.

I like JR a lot but having to turn off the auto import is a slight pain. Now when I copy new music into my directory structure I use file manager and right click / Media center / import. I haven't noticed this happening on my video structure but I can't say that I've paid that much attention there. I using the rating of the music file a lot with smart playlists. I use an smartlist that selects unrated material and when my SACD iso files keep showing up it's very noticable. I can look the date imported and see that they have been reimported along with other FLAC files but I don't notice the FLAC files because it reimports the tags from the file.
post #2211 of 2387 Old 04-18-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
I'm just an (maybe slightly above) average Brian but yeah... Joe's will need a little help.
eljr and bmcn like this.
post #2212 of 2387 Old 05-03-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why can I not add cover art on occasion?

In the past when this happened I had to delete the album completely and rip it anew.

Now even that trick does not work.

Very,,, frustrating.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2213 of 2387 Old 05-05-2016, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 53
How are you trying to add cover art? If you already have a cover art file or there is one on the internet, it's almost as simple as copy-pasting.
post #2214 of 2387 Old 05-06-2016, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why can I not add cover art on occasion?
Same topic on the JRiver forum.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...topic=104682.0

post #2215 of 2387 Old 05-07-2016, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post
How are you trying to add cover art? If you already have a cover art file or there is one on the internet, it's almost as simple as copy-pasting.
when it works which is most times, it's crazy easy.

When it doesn't you can spend days "massaging" it, coaxing it.

I have used all methods available under "cover art" successfully. Consistency is not 100%.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2216 of 2387 Old 05-07-2016, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think this is going to turn out to be one for the "Weird Problems" thread on our forum.

See if you can reproduce it with files stored locally and with no antivirus software. Just to narrow down where the problem is.

post #2217 of 2387 Old 05-07-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 160
How are you guys displaying a colon when used in a movie title tag? Every time I put one it the colon doesn't even show up. For example, Star Wars: A New Hope.

Err, it shows up in the tag and library mode but does not show up in theater mode.
post #2218 of 2387 Old 05-08-2016, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

-------------------------------------------------------------------

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2219 of 2387 Old 05-08-2016, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

?

Btw, colon shows up for tv show series name but does not show for movie series name. Anyone able to help?
post #2220 of 2387 Old 05-09-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
How are you guys displaying a colon when used in a movie title tag? Every time I put one it the colon doesn't even show up. For example, Star Wars: A New Hope.

Err, it shows up in the tag and library mode but does not show up in theater mode.
I just checked my library and Exodus: Gods and Kings shows up with the colon in Theater View. Can you provide a screen shot of your view.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page