JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 319Likes
post #2221 of 2249 Unread 05-14-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I just checked my library and Exodus: Gods and Kings shows up with the colon in Theater View. Can you provide a screen shot of your view.

I will when I get back home in a couple of days.

I had the tag names mixed up. So I use the tags "name" and "series name" for my movies. "Name" being the name I want the movie title to be and "series name" is filled in if it is part of a series like Star Wars.

When I put a colon in the "name" tag, the colon does not appear in theater view. When I do the same for "series name" though, the colon appears in theater view. I suspect that tv shows works the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2249 Unread 05-18-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread

Showing that in library view and tags (bottom left corner) both show the name as "August: Osage County".

But when viewed in theater view the colon disappears.
post #2223 of 2249 Unread 05-18-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Showing that in library view and tags (bottom left corner) both show the name as "August: Osage County". But when viewed in theater view the colon disappears.
I can't duplicate this. Try retyping the name in the tag. Are you using the current version of MC21?

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
post #2224 of 2249 Unread 05-18-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Anyone preordering MC22? It seems like the "pay" releases are coming out earlier each year. I bought MC20, and within 6.5 months, I was pre-ordering MC21. I didn't notice any real feature changes for me, but I only use it to play back MKV movies from my media server. Just debating if I should pay (again) for MC22 based off of the promise of "newer, faster, shinier" or if I should hold off. I've looked at the "improvements" for MC21 over MC20 that came out after their initial pre-order promise of the same thing (newer, faster, shinier) and never really saw a feature change for the "tip of the iceburg" that I am scratching with just movie playback as I know that JRiver MC does a LOT more than I am using it for.

For those that have been through more than just 1 upgrade cycle like I have, what are your thoughts? Any reason to upgrade if MC21 (heck, even MC20) is working perfectly fine for my needs?
post #2225 of 2249 Unread 05-18-2016, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Anyone preordering MC22? It seems like the "pay" releases are coming out earlier each year. I bought MC20, and within 6.5 months, I was pre-ordering MC21. I didn't notice any real feature changes for me, but I only use it to play back MKV movies from my media server. Just debating if I should pay (again) for MC22 based off of the promise of "newer, faster, shinier" or if I should hold off. I've looked at the "improvements" for MC21 over MC20 that came out after their initial pre-order promise of the same thing (newer, faster, shinier) and never really saw a feature change for the "tip of the iceburg" that I am scratching with just movie playback as I know that JRiver MC does a LOT more than I am using it for.

For those that have been through more than just 1 upgrade cycle like I have, what are your thoughts? Any reason to upgrade if MC21 (heck, even MC20) is working perfectly fine for my needs?
I have both MC19 and MC21 running in Red October mode. I haven't noticed any difference.
post #2226 of 2249 Unread 05-18-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread

Quote:
I can't duplicate this. Try retyping the name in the tag. Are you using the current version of MC21?

Yep most current stable version. What I found odd is that colon shows up for tv series.

Maybe I'll try a reinstall tonight.

Also, I put photos and videos into my picture folder. When I play a random slideshow things work fine until after a video finishes playing. The slideshow quits at this point.
post #2227 of 2249 Unread 05-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:

Dang it. I just blindly paid for the upgrade thinking I wanted the latest/greatest but didn't even think to look at what's changed. Oh well, I am happy to support development of a nice and useful application.

I will say I used MC20 last year to run my laptop when exhibiting my subs at T.H.E. Newport Show. I used it to play short video demo clips to show off the subs and it worked well. I used a Oppo 103 to play the clips off of a FAST USB stick at Axpona and had many more issues. So much for using a consumer electronics piece thinking it was more reliable than a complex computer. I'll definitely be using Jriver at future shows too. I know DesertDome has built a couple computers for others that seem to be working well. I'm definitely a fan of Jriver and will gladly pay the upgrade fee to ensure continued development.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #2228 of 2249 Unread 05-18-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:

Release times have typically been in an 11-13 month window.

MC 22 - June or July 2016
MC 21 - July, 2015
MC 20 - August, 2014
MC 19 - July, 2013
MC 18 - August, 2012

There are multiple features I use each release that most upgrade their receiver or other hardware to get. Even though I don't use it (yet), support for 3D Blu-ray and 3D MKV in MC21 was a big feature IMO. Support for Atmos bitstreaming was added in MC20. I also like it that I can request a feature and it will sometimes be added the same day. You also get automatic updates to stable LAV Filters and madVR versions. It is nice to get fixes quickly when something is changed by YouTube, Amazon Prime, or TheTVDB so it "breaks" in JRiver.
dgage and |Tch0rT| like this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
post #2229 of 2249 Unread 05-18-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, maybe it is just the pre-order dates hitting a little earlier each year vs. when it is actually released thus "feeling" like it is such a short timeframe.

I guess I also have other software that I haven't upgraded in years because it just works. Heck I am still on Photoshop CS6 which was released back in 2012 because it works great for what I need. It isn't as active of a development cycle as something like JRiver though, so that isn't a real apple to apples comparison.

Maybe I will wait and see what updates actually end up in development even if it ends up costing me more. Pre-order, save a few bucks, but not know exactly what will change, or wait, find out the details of improvements, but have to pay a little more.

Both are fair options from JRiver.

Oh, and please understand, I am certainly not complaining about the software. It is rock solid (minus a few quirks that cropped up about 6 weeks ago where it wants to keep rescanning my folders and pulls out my downloaded trailers for each movie and put them into the main movies collection, which I solved by just deleting the trailers since I wasn't really using them anyway) and does a great job, which is why I chose it over those other "free" options.

Thank you all for your perspectives and insight.
post #2230 of 2249 Unread 05-18-2016, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

@desertdome

Do you consolidate your movies into collections? That might make a difference. For instance, all of my Harry Potter movies are nested in ThV under one title.
post #2231 of 2249 Unread 05-19-2016, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Release times have typically been in an 11-13 month window.

MC 22 - June or July 2016
MC 21 - July, 2015
MC 20 - August, 2014
MC 19 - July, 2013
MC 18 - August, 2012

There are multiple features I use each release that most upgrade their receiver or other hardware to get. Even though I don't use it (yet), support for 3D Blu-ray and 3D MKV in MC21 was a big feature IMO. Support for Atmos bitstreaming was added in MC20. I also like it that I can request a feature and it will sometimes be added the same day. You also get automatic updates to stable LAV Filters and madVR versions. It is nice to get fixes quickly when something is changed by YouTube, Amazon Prime, or TheTVDB so it "breaks" in JRiver.

Are you saying madvr updates automatically when you have JR MC21? What is the current stable madvr version that JR supports?

I know they are well behind the current versions on the madvr site...

Who is it that decides when to change the madvr versions at JR?
Do they do any formal testing on it with MC21 before the update automatically arrives?
Is this auto update something that we are prompted to do or does it happen in the background?

Im a bit new to it all and did have the current latest version of madvr running up to last week. After discovering it was crashing my system, I rolled back to a much earlier version of madvr and all the crashing has stopped. It was 18 and the new one this week 19 that was crashing mine.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #2232 of 2249 Unread 05-19-2016, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Are you saying madvr updates automatically when you have JR MC21? What is the current stable madvr version that JR supports?

I know they are well behind the current versions on the madvr site...
Who is it that decides when to change the madvr versions at JR?
Do they do any formal testing on it with MC21 before the update automatically arrives?
Is this auto update something that we are prompted to do or does it happen in the background?
they upgrade it periodically, I don't recall the current version but it is not "well behind". The last major update was IIRC in 21.0.65 as per http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...topic=103931.0 to add 3d support & there have been v few madvr releases since that date.

yes they test it and the upgrade happens automatically when you upgrade to a version of jriver that specifies a newer madvr (or LAV).

Generally speaking madshi publishes versions of madvr in bursts and uses that as part of his dev cycle to collect feedback from users and see how it performs in the real world. Basically these are public beta versions which you probably want to avoid if you just want a stable system.
post #2233 of 2249 Unread 05-19-2016, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
they upgrade it periodically, I don't recall the current version but it is not "well behind". The last major update was IIRC in 21.0.65 as per http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...topic=103931.0 to add 3d support & there have been v few madvr releases since that date.

yes they test it and the upgrade happens automatically when you upgrade to a version of jriver that specifies a newer madvr (or LAV).

Generally speaking madshi publishes versions of madvr in bursts and uses that as part of his dev cycle to collect feedback from users and see how it performs in the real world. Basically these are public beta versions which you probably want to avoid if you just want a stable system.

Thank you for explaining that. I still don't know what this (LAV) is or used for. I thought when you have Red October HD with madvr set, LAV is automatically on, correct?
What is LAV anyway and whats it used for?

Its hard to match up the versions of madvr that JR uses to the versions on the madvr site as they seem to number them differently.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV

Last edited by RapalloAV; 05-19-2016 at 04:23 AM.
post #2234 of 2249 Unread 05-19-2016, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for explaining that. I still don't know what this (LAV) is or used for. I thought when you have Red October HD with madvr set, LAV is automatically on, correct?
What is LAV anyway and whats it used for?

Its hard to match up the versions of madvr that JR uses to the versions on the madvr site as they seem to number them differently.
LAV is https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters, nevcairiel works for jriver. Basically lav is a decoder and madvr is a renderer.

jriver doesn't change the madvr version numbers, you can see which one it is by going into the madvr options. Where are you seeing some other version number?
post #2235 of 2249 Unread 05-19-2016, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yeah, the major new features for MC22 aren't really enticing me to upgrade. A good chunk is focused on the Mac/Linux side. I supposed I might end up doing it for the bug fixes and on the slim chance they decided to spruce up theater view.

-tm

Quote:
Here are our goals:

Theater View on Mac and Linux

Remote Control on Mac and Linux

Some parts of Television on Mac and Linux (probably limited by hardware support)

Improved access to metadata

Upload files to Amazon or Google

Metadata retrieval in the appropriate language when possible.

Play album from memory

Sox

Please expect this thread to grow over the next couple of months.
post #2236 of 2249 Unread 05-19-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millst View Post
on the slim chance they decided to spruce up theater view.
Oooo. That would be nice....
dwaleke and BllDo like this.
post #2237 of 2249 Unread 05-19-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
LAV is https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters, nevcairiel works for jriver. Basically lav is a decoder and madvr is a renderer.

jriver doesn't change the madvr version numbers, you can see which one it is by going into the madvr options. Where are you seeing some other version number?

So since I use MC21 with madvr and Red October HD, do I have to do anything about setting up LAV or not?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV

Last edited by RapalloAV; 05-19-2016 at 01:07 PM.
post #2238 of 2249 Unread 05-19-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So since I use MC21 with madvr and Red October HD, do I have to do anything about setting up LAV or not?
No, it should just work.
post #2239 of 2249 Unread 05-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
No you don't. That is one of the nice things about JRMC. You won't always have the latest versions of madvr or LAV but it rarely matters.
post #2240 of 2249 Unread 05-21-2016, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I have 3 thoughts on the upgrade to MC22

1) I don't use Mac or Linux or TV so there's nothing in the listed coming features for me

2) MC21 added EVERYTHING I wanted when they added 3D playback, nothing is missing for me.

3) I'm going to preorder anyway because Jriver is the best software I have ever known and possibly my favorite thing that I use every single day.

-Brian
jriver and HTPCat like this.
post #2241 of 2249 Unread 05-21-2016, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I've reinstalled and I am still having issues with displaying the colon symbol in theater view. I'm just going to chaulk it up to the two expressions I'm using that allows me to have nested compilations.
post #2242 of 2249 Unread 05-21-2016, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My only issue for me with JRiver is the lack of a scene selection screen for movies like that you get on DVD and BD movies. It's a bit tedious to skip alot of chapters to get to the scene I want to begin from. Emby has this feature.

I haven't seen anything with MC22 either that got my attention. I think I will just reserve MC21 for audio music playback since that's where its strongpoint is, and leave all the video needs to Emby.
post #2243 of 2249 Unread 05-22-2016, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
My only issue for me with JRiver is the lack of a scene selection screen for movies like that you get on DVD and BD movies. It's a bit tedious to skip alot of chapters to get to the scene I want to begin from. Emby has this feature.

I haven't seen anything with MC22 either that got my attention. I think I will just reserve MC21 for audio music playback since that's where its strongpoint is, and leave all the video needs to Emby.
If you know which chapter you want, you can right click while playing and a pop up menu will appear. You can then directly skip to whichever chapter you want without having to sequentially go through each in turn. I suspect that's not what you want exactly, but it might get you closer.
post #2244 of 2249 Unread 05-22-2016, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post
If you know which chapter you want, you can right click while playing and a pop up menu will appear. You can then directly skip to whichever chapter you want without having to sequentially go through each in turn. I suspect that's not what you want exactly, but it might get you closer.
Yes, I have tried that and works fine if you were using a mouse with the HTPC, but would be impractical when using a remote however, since there is no right click button. Its easier to simply have a scene selection screen where it can be selectable by remote like you would have direct on a BD or DVD.
post #2245 of 2249 Unread 05-22-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mediaportal popped up the chapter menu when you pushed on the info button on your remote. Don't understand why this feature hasn't been added yet as it makes watching concert videos so much easier.
post #2246 of 2249 Unread 07-02-2016, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Decryption

My JRiver Library is almost all bluray ISO files ripped with AnydvdHD. Now that the red fox has moved I can not re-purchase my lifetime subscription, something about my Visa cards won't process to a merchant acct in China. Anyway what are good options for decryption or/and ripping 1:1 full discs? That Jriver works well with?

post #2247 of 2249 Unread 07-02-2016, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc View Post
My JRiver Library is almost all bluray ISO files ripped with AnydvdHD. Now that the red fox has moved I can not re-purchase my lifetime subscription, something about my Visa cards won't process to a merchant acct in China. Anyway what are good options for decryption or/and ripping 1:1 full discs? That Jriver works well with?

Does jriver process the full menu structure of those iso's? If not, you can always use makemkv.

Have you tried using PayPal for the red fox purchase, or contact your card company to allow this purchase?
post #2248 of 2249 Unread 07-02-2016, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Does jriver process the full menu structure of those iso's? If not, you can always use makemkv.

Have you tried using PayPal for the red fox purchase, or contact your card company to allow this purchase?
I get a quick play type of experience when I click play on the library movie options. I that a full menu structure not sure but I love what I get. Make a folder and two clicks to rip a new bluray to the drive then it plays perfectly up to 7.2 audio on my main system or secondary locations. I just tried MakeMKV and found the 'backup' option worked. A bit slow but BDMV folders seemed to work just a well in JRiver. Any advice on that or compare to DVDfab or others?

Also I did not bother with trying my bankcard bank for help, seems a bit sketchy anyhow. No Paypal option currently at red fox.

post #2249 of 2249 Unread 07-03-2016, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc View Post
I get a quick play type of experience when I click play on the library movie options. I that a full menu structure not sure but I love what I get. Make a folder and two clicks to rip a new bluray to the drive then it plays perfectly up to 7.2 audio on my main system or secondary locations. I just tried MakeMKV and found the 'backup' option worked. A bit slow but BDMV folders seemed to work just a well in JRiver. Any advice on that or compare to DVDfab or others?

Also I did not bother with trying my bankcard bank for help, seems a bit sketchy anyhow. No Paypal option currently at red fox.

If you don't care about the full BD menu you can save a lot of space by just ripping the title movie using makemkv.

I've never used dvdfab so I can't comment on that.

I'm sure that if you really wanted to make the purchase you could do so by asking your card company to process it and afterwards tell them you want a new card with a new number. In the end, you aren't liable for fraud anyway so I don't really see a big deal to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers