JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 383Likes

post #2281 of 2387 Old 12-14-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
This should be possible, as Jriver released a WDM driver a couple years ago. This let's Jriver act as an audio output device/soundcard accessible by any other application. Here is more on that.

I'm not certain if Jriver needs to be open, or if it's enough to have the media server running in the background.
baniels, thx! I'll be sure to look into this/check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2387 Old 12-17-2016, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
ARG...a folder got re-named and now all the particles are gone. Where can I find them?
post #2283 of 2387 Old 12-18-2016, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
ARG...a folder got re-named and now all the particles are gone. Where can I find them?
Try installing the latest library backup. Was the folder renamed from within MC or was it done from Windows Explorer (outside of MC)?

post #2284 of 2387 Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
Try installing the latest library backup. Was the folder renamed from within MC or was it done from Windows Explorer (outside of MC)?
Folder was renamed in Windows, and it's been almost a year since I did a backup...

If I do a search for "particle" I see 5-6 of them but I had a lot more.
post #2285 of 2387 Old 12-18-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Folder was renamed in Windows, and it's been almost a year since I did a backup...

If I do a search for "particle" I see 5-6 of them but I had a lot more.
The JRiver program does automatic backups. Look at Tools>Options>File Locations>Program Files to see where they are located.
baniels and lukeamdman like this.
post #2286 of 2387 Old 12-19-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
To return to how things were:
In JRiver select File > Library > Backup Library and make a backup of the current library.
Rename the drive back to original name.
In JRiver select File > Library > Restore Library
Your particles and everything else should be back to how it was

To leave the new drive name and fix entries in JRiver:
Select all files - easiest way is to use Audio > Files in the left tree and browse to old location
Select one of the files and then use Ctrl + A to select all of the files
Press F6 (shortcut for right click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, & Copy Files)
Select "Update datebase to point to new location . . . "
Make sure only "Find and Replace is checked"
Under "Find What:" enter the old drive name.
Under "Replace With:" enter the new drive name.
There is a preview window that shows exactly how the entries are being changed so you know you are entering the right thing.

I helped dlbeck do this a few weeks ago and all his Particles were retained with the drive letter change.

The Rename, Move, and & Copy Files is an incredibly powerful and brilliant tool that has many uses. You can save all the settings as Presets and have multiple Presets. For example, one can rip all their Blu-rays to a single folder that isn't watched by Auto Import. After tagging and fixing cover art one can run a Movie, Concert, etc. Preset and have the files moved to your chosen directory. It will then be automatically imported into JRiver if those folder locations are part of Auto Import. Some use it for renaming all their vacation photos, reorganizing cd's by Artist/Album Name, and many other uses.
baniels, Mike_WI and lukeamdman like this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #2287 of 2387 Old 12-22-2016, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Been using jriver a long time on a single pc, but recently moved the big server pc to a different room and installed jriver on an intel Nuc in my living room running windows 10. The other is windows 10 as well.

I'm having issues figuring out the optimal configuration.

I simply want to stream my music tv and movies from the server to the second pc running a copy of jriver.

I prefer to control the music with my iPad using JRemote and have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo for selecting and playing movies/tv.

I have tried a zone for the htpc and I have tried linking the htpc to the player on the server in the other room.

If i connect my iPad directly to the jriver copy in the living room it crashes instantly and can only be fixed by deleting the app and reinstalling.

If I have the htpc linked to the player and jremote connected to the server jremote does not crash but it just doesn't work how I'm used to. It seems like things don't communicate properly sometimes like zones getting confused, or something. Sometimes songs will play. Other times they won't or when I skip to a next song it won't work yet it will work if I use the keyboard.

Any suggestions?
post #2288 of 2387 Old 12-26-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
The JRiver program does automatic backups. Look at Tools>Options>File Locations>Program Files to see where they are located.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
To return to how things were:
In JRiver select File > Library > Backup Library and make a backup of the current library.
Rename the drive back to original name.
In JRiver select File > Library > Restore Library
Your particles and everything else should be back to how it was

To leave the new drive name and fix entries in JRiver:
Select all files - easiest way is to use Audio > Files in the left tree and browse to old location
Select one of the files and then use Ctrl + A to select all of the files
Press F6 (shortcut for right click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, & Copy Files)
Select "Update datebase to point to new location . . . "
Make sure only "Find and Replace is checked"
Under "Find What:" enter the old drive name.
Under "Replace With:" enter the new drive name.
There is a preview window that shows exactly how the entries are being changed so you know you are entering the right thing.

I helped dlbeck do this a few weeks ago and all his Particles were retained with the drive letter change.

The Rename, Move, and & Copy Files is an incredibly powerful and brilliant tool that has many uses. You can save all the settings as Presets and have multiple Presets. For example, one can rip all their Blu-rays to a single folder that isn't watched by Auto Import. After tagging and fixing cover art one can run a Movie, Concert, etc. Preset and have the files moved to your chosen directory. It will then be automatically imported into JRiver if those folder locations are part of Auto Import. Some use it for renaming all their vacation photos, reorganizing cd's by Artist/Album Name, and many other uses.
Thanks guys!

Through combination of a library backup and renaming the files I was able to recover all the particles.
post #2289 of 2387 Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have been using JRMC for over 12 years and the lack of support never ceases to amaze and frustrate me. Getting a response over there is like winning the lottery. They rely on us for free QA testing and then don't have the courtesy to even respond to (multiple) bug reports. It's ridiculous how they treat customers. I know they don't care, but they just lost one.
post #2290 of 2387 Old 12-28-2016, 01:18 PM

I couldnt find a solution to the issue I posted a few posts before this so gave up. I was also growing tired of the program crashing quite frequently, usually upon first turning the PC from waking up. This was mostly an issue for my wife that did not know how to get everything up and running again.

I ended up switching to Roon for music and plex for movies and tv. both have been rock solid thus far and have not crashed even one time. and they are much easier to operate...
post #2291 of 2387 Old 01-02-2017, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzig View Post
The WDM driver is fantastic...you can source any audio through JRiver. I use it with YouTube, Spotify and PC games, all works great. Unfortunately you do have to have JRiver open for it to work (with version 21 at least).
Media Server (part of MC) should be enough.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #2292 of 2387 Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post
I have been using JRMC for over 12 years and the lack of support never ceases to amaze and frustrate me. Getting a response over there is like winning the lottery. They rely on us for free QA testing and then don't have the courtesy to even respond to (multiple) bug reports. It's ridiculous how they treat customers. I know they don't care, but they just lost one.
I can assure you that we do care. We aren't able to provide all the answers, or solve all the problems, but we do try.

If you don't get a response, try bumping your post. If you still don't get a response, it may mean that nobody knows the answer.
Brian Hampton and BacHolz like this.

post #2293 of 2387 Old 01-02-2017, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmtber View Post
I couldnt find a solution to the issue I posted a few posts before this so gave up. I was also growing tired of the program crashing quite frequently, usually upon first turning the PC from waking up. This was mostly an issue for my wife that did not know how to get everything up and running again.

I ended up switching to Roon for music and plex for movies and tv. both have been rock solid thus far and have not crashed even one time. and they are much easier to operate...
I'm sorry you had that problem. It isn't normal. It's possible a network device (NAS, etc.) wasn't available. Antivirus programs also cause a lot of crashes.

I keep a list of problems that are caused by antivirus, etc:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

post #2294 of 2387 Old 01-02-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post
I can assure you that we do care. We aren't able to provide all the answers, or solve all the problems, but we do try.
Sorry, but 12 years of experience as a customer says otherwise. Ignoring several bumps over several weeks and not even one view of a provided log file means no one is even pretending to care.
IgorZep likes this.
post #2295 of 2387 Old 01-02-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry you had that problem. It isn't normal. It's possible a network device (NAS, etc.) wasn't available. Antivirus programs also cause a lot of crashes.

I keep a list of problems that are caused by antivirus, etc:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0
updated: I removed Avira from my living room Intel NUC, uninstalled jriver, reinstalled, and added the networked library to test before going to an external drive connected directly to the NUC.

So far everything is running perfectly fine, and there have been no crashes. I should also note I previously had a VST plugin installed enabling dirac live filtering for my USB integrated amp. I started using it because windows would never see the dirac live processor app before picking my integrated amp as the USB source on the old HTPC. On my intel nuc, it always works so I'm happy without the VST plugin.

Last edited by nycmtber; 01-02-2017 at 07:54 AM.
post #2296 of 2387 Old 01-02-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's good news (so far). Thanks.

post #2297 of 2387 Old 01-02-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, but 12 years of experience as a customer says otherwise. Ignoring several bumps over several weeks and not even one view of a provided log file means no one is even pretending to care.
I'm sorry you weren't happy with the service. "Pretending to care" is a little strong.

After my last reply to you, I looked for your posts on our forum but couldn't find a user named crbaldwin. Perhaps you used another name.

post #2298 of 2387 Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps you used another name.
Yes, a (recently former) longtime beta user that was ignored to the point of losing me as a customer.

Last edited by crbaldwin; 01-04-2017 at 09:08 AM.
post #2299 of 2387 Old 01-04-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:

If you don't get a response, try bumping your post. If you still don't get a response, it may mean that nobody knows the answer.
Jim Im very pleased you do care, that is good news to hear!
But if you dont know the answer to something, do you think you guys could at least answer the person that has a problem and say something?
Thats called customer service and good manners.

It only takes one second to say "Im sorry I just dont know, but leave it with me and I will try to help you"
At least this tells the customer who paid for JR knows you do have some customer service and do care!
It takes one second and keeps everyone happy!
Also you sell more when customers see this, plus they tell others too, good things, not bad!

Learn from some of the great companies who get back to their paying customers, Oppo, PSA Audio, SVS to name a few.....
No one needs bad publicity in this day and age of the internet
nickbuol, 65Goat, eljr and 2 others like this.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild

Last edited by RapalloAV; 01-04-2017 at 12:19 PM.
post #2300 of 2387 Old 01-04-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I'm stunned by the talk of bad support.

I couldn't be happier with JRiver. And I tend to want some things from my setup that others don't.

Just the other day a forum (interact) forum member showed me a new way to setup my video output for 2.35:1 while keeping the projector's native 1080p resolution. All I tend to get from JRiver is perfection. Whatever thing I think of trying .... it can do it.

Maybe there's some luck and maybe I'm fairly savvy and adept myself.

When I think of all the PC hardware that exists I'm sure that someone may have a config that no one will be able to replicate and have resulting bugs that have to be investigated like a master detective.

-Brian
BllDo and Patzig like this.
post #2301 of 2387 Old 01-04-2017, 01:29 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
I can kind of see both sides of this. There have been times when I've posted a question and had absolutely no response at all. Other times, there's no response for a while and then suddenly "this will be in the next release" (this actually just happened today with a few requests I made a while back for TV functionality). And other times there's pretty much immediate response with some back and forth to figure out exactly what is desired or needed. But when the forum is the only means of support, there should be some expectation that JRiver staff make sure that every query get a response of some sort, even if it's handled by the user community (in which case there's no need for the JRiver staff to get involved if the issue has been resolved already).

Customer support isn't always fun or easy and it definitely complicates matters when your primary role is something else such as writing code, but that's unfortunately life in a small software company. I worked at a small software company many years ago early in my career and had to wear multiple hats, including development, customer support, network guy, and so on. In some respects it was more fun as each day had a bit of variety, but it can also be stressful when you're trying to get something done and keep getting interrupted by those pesky customer's.
post #2302 of 2387 Old 01-04-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 708
I have had issues off and on with JRiver over the years, and I am using it almost exclusively just for movie playback. Nothing fancy there either, but my issues got either a non-response or a "hmm. That's odd." and then a non-response, or a "we will try to fix that in the next version" when it was what I would have thought a basic fix to video playback. The next version came out, I bought it, and it didn't fix it. When I was told again, "in the next release....." I stopped buying it. I mean, if I was trying to get my system to pop my popcorn, get me drinks, and give me a massage that would be one thing, but an issue preventing solid/consistent playback on a system that was purpose built to be way overpowered for just movie watching? I have learned to just deal with it at this point. Who knows, maybe when the next version comes out I will upgrade again, but it still leaves a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth. I just haven't switched to something else because 1) don't have the time, 2) feel like I should use a system that I paid money for. Both of those are my fault.

JRiver Media Center IS great software, but if you hit some odd bump in the road that was agreed to be an application issue, you would think that something would be done to address it.

I know that a majority of the JRiver customers have an outstanding experience, so I don't go around slamming the product. I just am chiming in about my experience that started over 3 years ago. I gave up on any real resolution to it about 18 months ago. I've found a couple of tricks that I can do to work around playback screeching to a halt about 5 minutes into a movie. It requires me to do some things each time I want to watch a movie, but it is easier than checking out other software, installing it, configuring it, maybe reinstalling and working on it more, etc.
eljr likes this.
post #2303 of 2387 Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, a (recently former) longtime beta user that was ignored to the point of losing me as a customer.
cncb, then. Craig, as far as I could tell, you weren't using MC22 and weren't contributing to the beta work. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

The problem you had was with syncing playlists to an Android phone. It wasn't clear to me that this was an MC problem and we didn't chase it. It wasn't ignored. We just didn't make it as high a priority as you thought it should be.

As complicated as the world of digital devices can be, I think MC generally does a very good job. I also think we do a good job of supporting it. That isn't meant to say that JRiver is perfect. To say we don't care is just plain wrong.
nickbuol and baniels like this.

post #2304 of 2387 Old 01-04-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

nickbuol,
I took a look at your last ten or so posts and I don't see what you mean. Roku support? I don't think I've ever said we'd do that. Possibly I don't remember.

Maybe you could refresh my memory.

Thanks.

post #2305 of 2387 Old 01-12-2017, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Jim Im very pleased you do care, that is good news to hear!
But if you dont know the answer to something, do you think you guys could at least answer the person that has a problem and say something?
Thats called customer service and good manners.

It only takes one second to say "Im sorry I just dont know, but leave it with me and I will try to help you"
At least this tells the customer who paid for JR knows you do have some customer service and do care!
It takes one second and keeps everyone happy!
Also you sell more when customers see this, plus they tell others too, good things, not bad!

Learn from some of the great companies who get back to their paying customers, Oppo, PSA Audio, SVS to name a few.....
No one needs bad publicity in this day and age of the internet
I don't want to jump on the band wagon so all I'll say is thank you for this post. Many have felt abandoned after buying this product.

The killer is, it has so much potential, it's clearly a great product.... if you could get some guidance.

But this is not why I came back to this thread.

I need some recommendations. I need a streamer that is JRiver capable. It also must be Tidal and Digital Concert Hall capable.

Any recommendations?

Is there a page of products that support JRiver as other vendors have?

Thanks

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2306 of 2387 Old 01-12-2017, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I have learned to just deal with it at this point.
Just as I do. The most rudimentary of just audio only for me.

I am damned scared of the thing. LOL, but it's true. I have spent more time in 3 years trying to make it work than I did with all my equipment put together for 50 year. Seriously.

Any recommendation on a streamer that is JRiver capable? (am I asking the question correctly???)

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #2307 of 2387 Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
cncb, then. Craig, as far as I could tell, you weren't using MC22 and weren't contributing to the beta work. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

The problem you had was with syncing playlists to an Android phone. It wasn't clear to me that this was an MC problem and we didn't chase it. It wasn't ignored. We just didn't make it as high a priority as you thought it should be.

As complicated as the world of digital devices can be, I think MC generally does a very good job. I also think we do a good job of supporting it. That isn't meant to say that JRiver is perfect. To say we don't care is just plain wrong.
As a daily user since version 8, I have never gotten the impression that the folks at JRIVER were ignoring my concerns. Of course, I use JRiver's INTERACT FORUM for support questions.
This is a quality product that has multi configuration potential. I also find it very reasonably priced for what it can do. The developers work ceaselessly to improve Media Center, and have for years. Of course, iTunes is free if you prefer
fitbrit and BacHolz like this.
post #2308 of 2387 Old 01-12-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Just as I do. The most rudimentary of just audio only for me.

I am damned scared of the thing. LOL, but it's true. I have spent more time in 3 years trying to make it work than I did with all my equipment put together for 50 year. Seriously.

Any recommendation on a streamer that is JRiver capable? (am I asking the question correctly???)
You could look at these options. They will definitely work since they are running MC themselves:

http://www.jriver.com/Id/
eljr likes this.
post #2309 of 2387 Old 01-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd have to agree with the general tone of the recent comments here. Support is not enthusiastically offered over at the Interact forums. Jim's responses tend to be curt and a little prickly.

The product is good, no doubt, but some schooling on good customer support and attitude and better general interaction with customers might make the product reach further...

I'll give a couple of examples that I notice... Jriver have integrated MadVR as a video renderer into their product, and they provide an option that uses this for replay. BUT any questions about MadVR are simply directed over to the doom9 forums where the developer of MadVR is to be found. Now when you pay for a product you expect the supplier to support all of the product. I'm capable of figuring out any of the MadVR stuff myself, so I don't ask, but there are others who are less capable and who just get shunted when they ask a question. This is poor customer service.

Recently Sox resampler got an announcement at Interact. Discussion ensued... views on the best utilisation of Sox, requests for the ability to more completely utilise its capability.... quite quickly that discussion got sidelined into a separate thread called something like "Sox Sideshow" where Jriver could ignore it (the title of the thread where the discussion was pushed was telling in itself). Again... provision of a feature but no willingness to take ownership of it...
post #2310 of 2387 Old 01-12-2017, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzagazza View Post
I'll give a couple of examples that I notice... Jriver have integrated MadVR as a video renderer into their product, and they provide an option that uses this for replay. BUT any questions about MadVR are simply directed over to the doom9 forums where the developer of MadVR is to be found. Now when you pay for a product you expect the supplier to support all of the product. I'm capable of figuring out any of the MadVR stuff myself, so I don't ask, but there are others who are less capable and who just get shunted when they ask a question. This is poor customer service.
The user gets the option in JRiver to use madVR and only then is it downloaded and made available for JRiver. This is no different than adding an app to your phone/tablet and asking your phone company, Google, or Apple to provide support for the app. That's not the way it works. The proper place for most madVR support is at doom9. However, I have helped in a lot of threads at Interact.
|Tch0rT| likes this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page