JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 366Likes

Old 04-01-2017, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 8102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1949 View Post
@eljr

My apologies. When I first read your posts asking about gapless over DLNA, I assumed you were using JRiver Media Center as I am, i.e., as a Digital Media Controller to pull music from my library and send it to a Digital Media Renderer, either my Yamaha RXA3040 AVR or Oppo BDP103D, to be played. In this configuration, JRiver controls the playback including gapless *if the Renderer supports gapless over DLNA*.

I reread your posts and realized that you are using JRiver as a Digital Media Server to make your NAS library available to your Digital Media Player (Oppo). In this configuration, the Media Player pulls the music from your library and controls the playback including gapless. According to the following link, Oppo only supports gapless for music files stored on USB flash drive(s) and external USB hard drive(s).
http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.ph..._BDP-103.2F105
Since your NAS library is accessed over a network, it doesn't qualify for gapless playback.

I'm not an expert in JRiver or DLNA, I'm just passing along some info that I've been able to piece together about both. For more info about Digital Media Controllers, Renderers, etc. please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...etwork_Devices

As far a gapless playback is concerned, keep in mind it only removes pauses between tracks. If the track contains leading and/or trailing silence, gapless doesn't do anything to strip that out, so there still appears to be gaps between tracks.

In my JRiver configuration, I have my Oppo defined as a Renderer only to play SACD and hi-rez 192k files. For all other music files, my AVR (which does support gapless playback over DLNA) is used as the Renderer. Up until today when I researched this stuff, I thought my Oppo was also supporting gapless over DLNA, but it does not.

thanks, I have established gapless now, I just can't do it via DLNA and can only play gapless on one system. As I listen to 90% of my music on this system, it's OK. Not perfect but plenty livable.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
thanks, I have established gapless now, I just can't do it via DLNA and can only play gapless on one system. As I listen to 90% of my music on this system, it's OK. Not perfect but plenty livable.
You're welcome. Glad to hear you've had some success.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Upgrades from any previous version are $15.98 for the next four days.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/ind...,110369.0.html
HTPCat likes this.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum

Old 05-04-2017, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post
Upgrades from any previous version are $15.98 for the next four days.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/ind...,110369.0.html

Is there a list of upgrades from the previous version somewhere?
Old 05-05-2017, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Is there a list of upgrades from the previous version somewhere?
there is no published list for MC23. Generally speaking an upgrade is just buying access to whatever is delivered in the next year so it's more like a subscription with a perpetual fallback version.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
there is no published list for MC23. Generally speaking an upgrade is just buying access to whatever is delivered in the next year so it's more like a subscription with a perpetual fallback version.
And it is key to remember the "perpetual fallback version". Once you have paid for a version you always have it. It doesn't go away. So if things are working well you don't need to upgrade. Or you can put it off for a couple versions.

Lots of people complain about this but I think it is a good model. They need to keep paying the bills and you never loose anything.
Bluescale likes this.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post

I'm still on 21 as I saw nothing worthwhile for myself with 22, but I was wondering if 23 would have been different.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I'm still on 21 as I saw nothing worthwhile for myself with 22, but I was wondering if 23 would have been different.
Same here. When there is no list of "hey, here is what we are working on for the next version" it is tough to make the call as to if it is worth the upgrade. Some people look at it like it is a yearly subscription or fee, but I just use the basic audio/video playback settings for movies, and most new features aren't in the areas that I would like to see changes in, so for me, I've just decided that I will always be at least 1 version behind... Wait until the next version is out, features posted, and then if those features are worth while to me, then I will just wait for the following version's "pre-order pricing" comes out and buy it then.

I think that JRiver MC is the only software that I've seen where they want you to pay before ever knowing what that payment will actually get you.
stef2 likes this.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I can spend $15.98 at Starbucks.
To me it guarantees access to newest version and helps support a software package that I use daily.

Mike
jriver, HTPCat and HerbieHightower like this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & output x1 cards} - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v29.2]
HT Details: link
Old 05-14-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree it would be nice to get an idea about specific big ticket features that will be in the next version. On the other hand, spending about £1 a month to help fund a series of incremental improvements to something I use every single day over isn't an amount of money that makes me think twice. It's certainly nice to have the option (as opposed to a pure subscription model) though.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Thanks for your support (and your critiques).

I wrote about our business model a few years ago:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81987.0

The bottom line is the bottom line. We charge a (hopefully) modest price to keep plugging away and keeping the software current with an ever changing world.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
Old 05-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have a question in regards to Zones.....

I've read the wiki pretty much on how zoning works and in my current theater/mancave room, I have my htpc setup running JRiver on it for all video and audio needs. The AVR I am using is the Denon X2300W and I am doing a 5.1 setup. So with that, I can use the two remaining channels on the AVR for the secondary zone for just music listening.

I have separate floor-standing speakers just for music listening and bookshelf speakers for movies. Is it possible to create a zone for just movies and one for just music listening and have it switch automatically if I wanted to just listen to music within the Theater View? I don't really need to have the projector on for music listening though if I can control it through say my tablet or phone. I tried reading on the Zoneswitch feature but don't totally understand how it works. Usually I know zones are used when one wants to pipe music to a different room, but in my case I am doing it in the same room, just switching from 5.1 to the 2 channel whenever I get into music mode. I have a separate sound card (M-Audio Audiophile 2496) just for 2-channel music listening.

Any help would be great.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I've read the wiki pretty much on how zoning works and in my current theater/mancave room, I have my htpc setup running JRiver on it for all video and audio needs. The AVR I am using is the Denon X2300W and I am doing a 5.1 setup. So with that, I can use the two remaining channels on the AVR for the secondary zone for just music listening.

I have separate floor-standing speakers just for music listening and bookshelf speakers for movies. Is it possible to create a zone for just movies and one for just music listening and have it switch automatically if I wanted to just listen to music within the Theater View? I don't really need to have the projector on for music listening though if I can control it through say my tablet or phone. I tried reading on the Zoneswitch feature but don't totally understand how it works. Usually I know zones are used when one wants to pipe music to a different room, but in my case I am doing it in the same room, just switching from 5.1 to the 2 channel whenever I get into music mode. I have a separate sound card (M-Audio Audiophile 2496) just for 2-channel music listening.

Any help would be great.

The J River forum might be a better place to ask. Check you Zone Switch which has complex rules based of format, file type, etc. It is incredibly sophisticated.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 65C7 | Lumagen 2020
Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Any help would be great.
You could do this easily, just have to set up rules for zoneswitch which when enabled will switch automatically when you playback a file based upon rules you set. For example, I have a zone for movies, 2 channel and multi channel. Just set them up with appropriate playback for audio and video and then setup zoneswitch adding rules for which files to be played in a particular zone. I use file type = for movie files and channels > 2 for multi channel audio and channel < 3 for 2 channel.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"

Last edited by HTPCat; 05-22-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just chiming in...

Tried MC22 last weekend. I was pretty impressed overall. Had to search their forums for some items, but found all I needed.

I bitstream lossless audio so that works flawlessly. Used the advanced version of Red October which automatically downloaded madVR. The only real issue I encountered with mad VR was they lip sync delay. So after a few quick searches, I used 200 milliseconds and that seemed to be perfect.

The display refresh rate adjustments were really nice... Blu ray rips played super smooth.

I still use my movies as my metadata scraper Since I've been using that for years.

And I thought the TV integration was really slick. And it used my Avermedia atsc tuners that I already had.

I'm definitely going to purchase a copy of MC. I guess I need to download Media Center 23 and purchase that license. Because I think if I purchase the media center 22 license I won't get the upgrade to 23?

-T
dgage likes this.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All licences sold for the last few months are valid for 23
Old 06-21-2017, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've tried JRMC22 to output music to a DLNA stick plugged in my AVR. By selecting an album to play, it plays 2 songs and then stops and I have to click next to let it play the next two songs. What's causing that problem ?
Old Today, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

I bitstream lossless audio so that works flawlessly.

-T
I guess it does not work flawlessly. I am beginning to know why the J River Media Center recommends on the UI not to bitstream: It's not reliable with their software.

So I had it working, but I guess I just got lucky. And then I found that the audio would not play. I got an error message on the screen that states the content couldn't be played. It was acting like my receiver could not process the truehd and dtshd.

But I know my Denon x3100w can handle lossless audio.

So I am letting the software convert the lossless to PCM which is still lossless. I made sure that the software wasn't modifying the stream so it really is delivering lossless PCM.

I just figured I would do a follow-up and clarify.

-T
Old Today, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
I guess it does not work flawlessly. I am beginning to know why the J River Media Center recommends on the UI not to bitstream: It's not reliable with their software.

So I had it working, but I guess I just got lucky. And then I found that the audio would not play. I got an error message on the screen that states the content couldn't be played. It was acting like my receiver could not process the truehd and dtshd.

So I am letting the software convert the lossless to PCM which is still lossless. I made sure that the software wasn't modifying the stream so it really is delivering lossless PCM.

-T
Bitstreaming errors are typically an HDMI handshake issue, an incorrect setting on the graphics card, or an incorrect setting on the receiver. I've never once seen JRiver have an issue with bitstreaming that needed something changed in JRiver. What did the error message say? Bitstreaming doesn't know anything about the receiver's ability to process TrueHD and DTS-HD.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter, Klein K10-A
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
Old Today, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Quote:

-T
Bitstreaming errors are typically an HDMI handshake issue, an incorrect setting on the graphics card, or an incorrect setting on the receiver. I've never once seen JRiver have an issue with bitstreaming that needed something changed in JRiver. What did the error message say? Bitstreaming doesn't know anything about the receiver's ability to process TrueHD and DTS-HD.
That's the odd thing. I have been using Windows Media Center and the Shark codec pack for nearly 3 years... same AMD R9 280 card that whole time (has HDMI out and bitstreams). Been bitstreaming the high definition audio that whole time. I will

I hardly ever change my video graphics driver because if it works I don't like to mess with it. I did change it within the last of months when I rebuilt my htpc. and maybe that's causing a problem. when you said handshake that made me believe that maybe it is.

The message was a JRiver Media Center message. It was not for my receiver. And it stated the following:

"This format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format."

I had to Google some fragments that I can remember. And then when this one came up in the search it looked like the message that I remember seeing.

But now that I think about it, I do have the ability to go use the HDMI from the motherboard. Because my Intel i5 bitstreams. And if it works, then I know it's something with the graphics driver card.

And now that I think about it, I am using J River Media Center option to change the graphics display to when it goes to my Blu-ray rips in their native refresh rate. So maybe it's something related to that ( my video graphics card ). I never switched video resolutions before I installed j River.

-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement