Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I am looking at building a HTPC, and have been trying to pick out a case

I was going to use the Silverstone GD04, or maybe the GD06 and a micro ATX MB, then I found the new LianLi PC-C60.

This HTPC is going into my equipment closet, which has 17 deep shelves (wish I had made them deeper now .

I figure if I use right angle adapters, this will stick out about a inch past the front of the shelve, but I can live with that.

Since the C60 is new, hard to find much info about it.

The C60 is a little pricey, really more then I wanted to spend, but I can stretch my budget a little and get it.

My current plan it to use a AMD Athlon II X2 Model 250 I bought last year, probably a full ATX mb, 2x2gb of dram, a blu ray writer and a couple of hd's that I have laying around to start with. Heat sink is TBD, this case will let me use a larger heat sink then the GD04.

Will use mostly for watching internet stuff on TV, but also want to do standard def video rendering with it.

Anybody have any comments on the C60?

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That case looks really good and I would have ordered one from newegg if it wasn't out of stock, but the PC-C34 is on sale and I couldn't pass up on the price ($150 and free shipping). If you find a mini-ATX board that meets your needs, the PC-C50 looks to be a great case also and is $30 cheaper.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Its a nice case and I currently use one. For now I have a full ATX motherboard with a GTX-460 video card. The processor is a i5 Intel. I also use a pioneer BDR-206 Blu-ray drive. Right now though I only use a SSD because I store most everything on a server. But it has good room inside and laid out well.

I like the two large fans and its quiet and cool. Its a quality built case like most all Lian Li are and looks good.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just added a SiverStone Grandia series GD-06 to my collection. I like the full width locking front panel/door that covers everything and gives a real clean look. Behind the panel is a two-drive hot swap bay (open the doors and the HDs slide out) and a DVD/BD opening. It's a nice looking case. It has two large fans on the right side, and one larg fan on the left. The case is preforated over the CPU location and under the Pwr Supply (with a filter material to keep dust out).
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys

There are a couple issues I have with the GD06, only 1 external 5" drive, and have to go uatx.

With the PC60, I get 2 external drives, and full atx.

I was thinking of using one drive bay for a bluray, and the other for a fan controller (sunbeam rheosmart).
With the GD06 or 04, I would have to install the rheosmart inside the case, and not have access to the fan controls.

I am thinking of using one of these Motherboard s
MSI 890GXM-G65 uATX
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 ATX

The ASUS has more stuff, and they are about the same price, so I would rather use the ASUS.

As of now, heatsink will be a Ninja mini, and I think it can be passive, and use the two case fans for blowing air by it.

Larry
What heatsink are you using?
Glad you like the case.

Randy
post #6 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Just using the stock Intel for now. I Actually switched mother boards around and just recently got this one back together. I did turn Q-fan on and the computer is quiet enough. I only use it mostly to play Blu-ray and the CPU usage is low anyway, even when using Madvr and ect.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-13-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

In the end, I decided H8 was right, and just ordered the Lian Li PC-C34F

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112229

It's a little shorter/smaller, about 7% smaller in volume, but it has some other nice features like removable hard drives and a RF remote. I am hoping my harmony 890 works with it, but I consider that a throw in anyway, and will figure out something else if it doesn't.

It has two external drive bays, so I can use one for a blu ray drive, and the other for a couple usb 3.0 ports.

This case was $150 with free shipping, while the c60 would have been $210 shipped, which was really the deciding factor.

Current mb of consideration is the Asrock 890GX Extreme4, mostly because it supports front usb 3.0 ports, and has firewire too.

I'm sure the c60 would have worked, and it would have been a nice case, but like I said, cost made the decision for me, and I like the removeable hard drive feature too. The c60 supports more internal drives, but that was overkill for me.

Randy
post #8 of 11 Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I received mine a few days ago and I'm very happy with it. I ordered this item for the top external drive bay. Antec Veris Elite for $61 from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-30125-El.../dp/B001B8Y09C
One warning, the case is great and light because it's all aluminim, but since it was designed a few years ago it wasn't made for side SATA ports so I did a little modding, I removed the 4 external 3.5" hard drive bay (2 screws on top and 4 on the bottom) and cut out a piece of the bottom aluminum with some metal cutting sissors and reinstalled it, now it'll take side facing SATA ports. I happen to have a upgrade 80mm fan so replaced the rear one with the Deep Cool UF80 fan. One of the greatest cheap items I've come across is this Kingwin device I picked up (now I've got 5 for different systems) at Micro Center.
http://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-2-5-In.../dp/B004RCNRL6
Which I will place under the two 5.25" bays as there's a 3.5" internal bay there, to use for the SSD OS drive.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-13-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post

I received mine a few days ago and I'm very happy with it. I ordered this item for the top external drive bay. Antec Veris Elite for $61 from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-30125-El.../dp/B001B8Y09C
One warning, the case is great and light because it's all aluminim, but since it was designed a few years ago it wasn't made for side SATA ports so I did a little modding, I removed the 4 external 3.5" hard drive bay (2 screws on top and 4 on the bottom) and cut out a piece of the bottom aluminum with some metal cutting sissors and reinstalled it, now it'll take side facing SATA ports. I happen to have a upgrade 80mm fan so replaced the rear one with the Deep Cool UF80 fan. One of the greatest cheap items I've come across is this Kingwin device I picked up (now I've got 5 for different systems) at Micro Center.
http://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-2-5-In.../dp/B004RCNRL6
Which I will place under the two 5.25" bays as there's a 3.5" internal bay there, to use for the SSD OS drive.

Thanks for the advice, since I ordered it today, expect to have the case Mon or Tues.

I just noticed that we're neighbors, I live in Brentwood, and my in laws live in the Palisades, so we go there quite a bit, going to go there to drop off the kids in a few mins.

Randy
post #10 of 11 Old 08-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure you will like it. I simply wanted a larger case because of some I've had in the past that really irritated me for various reasons, but didn't want a tower. Also I have no use for a front removable door.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 AM

I've just completed transferring my HTPC into one of these cases. I previously had a half height mATX case and space for my GPU, TV tuner card and 3 HDs was getting quite cramped and airflow over the components was poor.

First impression?

The build quality is great, the case looks nice on the shelf, the buttons on the front feel good quality. The design of the case seems great. All the drives are in 'stacks' and suspended above the floorpan of the case which is completely flat. The design of the HD stacks are good. There are two potential stacks on the left side of the case. 6 HD cages for 3.5" HDs are provided, but there is room for 5 HDs in each stack, so in theory if you could get hold of some spare HD cages you could fit in 10 HDs!! There are rubber grommets on the cages to help with HD vibration noise. There are also 3x 2.5" cages, and 2x 5.25 spaces, so you could go overboard on storage if you wanted! One potential problem with loading up more than 5 HDs though. My ATX PSU is quite large, being designed to be passively cooled and modular, and the extra length of it obstructs the 2nd stack, so if you did want the second stack of HDs, you'd need a shortish ATX PSU. My MoBo is only mATX, but there's plenty of room for an ATX or even an oversize ATX like the Asus ROG ones.

Now I just need a IR remote receiver for it. Shame it doesn't come built in!

SBR
Reply Home Theater Computers