AVS Forum banner

Harmony Remote + Xbox360 as extender...

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bryansj 
#1 ·
So, I was having trouble using a cheap MCE remote to control my Xbox 360 as an extender. It seemed like it was interfering with my TV IR, as the IR receiver on the TV would flash while pressing buttons, and it would take multiple button presses to register any command on the 360 (and sometimes not work at all).

Being a Harmony One owner, I wanted to buy a Harmony remote for the bedroom, but didn't want to spend a ton of money. So I picked up a cheap Harmony 300, hoping this would solve the problem and allow me to control both TV and 360 on the same remote.

Well, with the Harmony 300, I seem to have similar problems... though they are less pronounced, it seems as if the interference is still there. I have the Harmony 300 mapped as "Microsoft - Media Center SE" I believe, and my TV is a TCL 40" LCD. It takes multiple button presses to register a command to the 360, and the LED on the TCL occasionally blinks while pressing a command for the 360.

Any thoughts or advice? It is quite annoying, especially when it decides not to function while rw/ff!

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
In your XBox settings what do you have your remote type set as?

Also, as a test could you relocate the 360? Just somewhere so that you have a different line-of-sight between the remote and the 360's IR receiver.

LCD screens emit IR noise. The TV's IR indicator shouldn't mean much, just that it is seeing your signal. Grab any other remote and see if that makes the TV's LED blink as well.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20824195

In your XBox settings what do you have your remote type set as?

Also, as a test could you relocate the 360? Just somewhere so that you have a different line-of-sight between the remote and the 360's IR receiver.

LCD screens emit IR noise. The TV's IR indicator shouldn't mean much, just that it is seeing your signal. Grab any other remote and see if that makes the TV's LED blink as well.

I'll check on the setting.

As far as relocating, this problem happens whether I'm in bed, or sitting 3 feet in front of the 360 pointing directly at it, and yes other remotes make the TV's LED blink as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.