Directshow experts: How to get MKV subtitles using MPC-HC standalone filters? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-21-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Could someone please tell me the minimum MPC-HC filters to register to suppliment subtitles in my directshow player? Ultimately, I'd like forced subtitles to display automatically.

I would prefer to continue to use my LAV splitter and my existing audio/video filters. I am using EVR as my video renderer.

I registered SubtitleSource.ax; however, it looks like I might be missing at least one more filter.

PS: If there's a better subtitle filter than the one in MPC-HT, please also mention that as well. The only filters I wont use is ffdshow.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like you did not set the options in the LAV splitter correctly, you can still select subtitles (or should be able to from manually), but if like me you need them automatically to load, please look at the LAV splitter configuration, make sure you have no preferred language and then right beneath that select to load any subtitle, I'd give you the exact settings, but I do not use LAV splitter on my desktop only on my HTPC.

This worked for me after reinstalling the OS and setting up video again from scratch.

ERIC

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2

ERIC
post #3 of 19 Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

LAV doesnt render subtitles as far as I know. All it does is split the subtitle data (along with video/audio) and allows it to either pass through or not depending on a couple of options. However, once it passes through the subtitle pinout.. it requires other components. Those are the filters I'm not sure about. I don think they are inherent to all OS's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post

Sounds like you did not set the options in the LAV splitter correctly, you can still select subtitles (or should be able to from manually), but if like me you need them automatically to load, please look at the LAV splitter configuration, make sure you have no preferred language and then right beneath that select to load any subtitle, I'd give you the exact settings, but I do not use LAV splitter on my desktop only on my HTPC.

This worked for me after reinstalling the OS and setting up video again from scratch.

ERIC

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

in my directshow player?

What's your player? Usually you have to use ffdshow raw video filter or DirectVobSub (you lose hardware decode acceleration, however), unless you use MPC HomeCinema + EVR Custom Presenter.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hi Renethx, I was hoping this would get your your attention. I would be very happy to get it to work under sageTV directshow playback under VMR9 or EVR (preferably EVR). A friend told me he installed pretty much all the MPC standalone filters just recently; and did something that caused him to see subtitles under WMP and sageTV using VMR9; but not EVR. However, his problem was opposite of mine, he wanted it to stop happening. He said he was able to stop it by uninstalling MPC filters. This got me very curious. Maybe he also tried installing/uninstalling ffdshow show; and, didnt tell me.

-Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

What's your player? Usually you have to use ffdshow raw video filter or DirectVobSub (you lose hardware decode acceleration, however), unless you use MPC HomeCinema + EVR Custom Presenter.

post #6 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

If you use an AMD card,

LAV Splitter -> ffdshow Video Decoder (with "Subtitles" on) -> EVR

You see various subtitle formats in ffdshow configuration > Subtitles. "Blu-ray subtitles" is PGS subtitles. If you use NVIDIA,

LAV Splitter -> LAV CUIVID Decoder > ffdshow raw video filter (with "Subtitles" on) -> EVR

ffdshow raw video filter is the same as ffdshow video decoder, but without "Codecs" (it accepts only raw video formats such as YV12 decoded by another video decoder). You may have to raise the merit value of ffdshow raw video filter.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Or ffdshow DXVA if you want hardware acceleration and subtitles. Using the MPC filters won`t get you hardware acceleration and subs, because inserting a filter like DirectVob sub in the decoding chain breaks DXVA.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks guys, I would prefer to use CoreAVC 3.0 for H.264 and Windows DMO for VC1. Is it possible to have these decoders work with the ffshow raw video decoder? I'm guessing VY12 decoding could be done by other decoders than LAV CUIVID. Plus, LAV CUIVID doesnt work properly on my PC anyway.

If FFshow raw will be able to work with my preferred decoders, do I need to install the entire FFdshow suite just to use it's raw video decoder?

I would prefer just to copy the ffshow file(s) necessary in a folder and regsvr32 the decoder myself; as, I dont like ffdshow bloat. If this is possible, what are the minimum files I need to use the raw decoder? I'll then increase the merit as needed.

post #9 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

ffdshow raw video decoder/DirectVobSub works with any video decoder. You have to install "ffdshow" to use ffdshow raw video decoder. There is nothing to worry about ffdshow. If you don't want to use ffdshow Video/Audio Decocer, just lower the merit values of them to, say, "0x00600000 (MERIT_NORMAL)" (run GraphStudio as an administrator, change merit value, log off and log on). DirectVobSub is a substitute.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks. Actually all I had to do was copy ffdshow.ax and ffmpeg.dll, then install the filter. After that, I just configured ffdshow raw video for YV12. I'm still at work, so, haven't had a chance to actually see it in action. I'm pretty sure it'll work.

post #11 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

PS: Is there any picture quality loss when overlaying subtitles over the decoded video?

post #12 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

Thanks. Actually all I had to do was copy ffdshow.ax and ffmpeg.dll, then install the filter. After that, I just configured ffdshow raw video for YV12. I'm still at work, so, haven't had a chance to actually see it in action. I'm pretty sure it'll work.

So first you installed ffdshow, then copy ffdshow.ax and ffmpeg.dll and paste them in another folder, uninstall ffdshow, then register ffdshow.ax in that folder, right? Hmm, this method does not work for me (the "Subtitle" pin from LAV Splitter does not connect to the "In Text" pin of ffdshow raw video decoder)...

No PQ degradation (to me).
post #13 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'm at work now, and installed ffdshow on my machine here. Then copied the two files to my machine at home (which never had ffdshow). Registered the filter, then ran rundll32.exe "C:\\Program Files\\ffdshow\\ffdshow.ax",configure from the command line to check the subtitle box and set YV12 for raw video.

Lastly, I also opened up graphedit and manually connected all filters (since I hadnt messed with merits yet), then went into the ffdshow raw video filter prop page and set the subtitle/rawvideo=YV12 one more time.

I finally set merits for rawvideo /coreavc.

Now, I can see subtitles; although video is very slow over an RDP session from work to home. It looks like everything is working great.

The only thing that I'm not sure about is having an easy way to disable/enable subtitles while the video is already playing in sageTV. Any suggestions?

Quote:

So first you installed ffdshow, then copy ffdshow.ax and ffmpeg.dll and paste them in another folder, uninstall ffdshow, then register ffdshow.ax in that folder, right? Hmm, this method does not work for me (the "Subtitle" pin from LAV Splitter does not connect to the "In Text" pin of ffdshow raw video decoder)...

No PQ degradation (to me).

post #14 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

ffdshow icon in the system tray > Subtitle streams > S: No subtitles.

ffdshow raw video filter properties has "Keys & remote" section: Next subtitle stream: Press F4 (not sure if it works). Remote? Maybe with EventGhost.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

That's a great idea. I'll try that tonight (using Girder). BTW: Thank you for your help as usual. This forum is great.

Quote:

ffdshow icon in the system tray > Subtitle streams > S: No subtitles.

ffdshow raw video filter properties has "Keys & remote" section: Next subtitle stream: Press F4 (not sure if it works). Remote? Maybe with EventGhost.

post #16 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Okay, I can confirm that Windows "wants" to build a perfect graph in graphedit and other directshow players such as the original MPC.

What I didn't expect is SageTV somehow manipulates the system filtergraph so ffdshow raw video doesn't get loaded.

Sigh... I'm very dissapointed. I was REALLY hoping sageTV would do the same thing as other directshow players.

renethx, do you still have sageTV to test against? Maybe you can figure out a way to get this working in sageTV for single file mkv media playback? The whole point was getting this to work in sageTV.

post #17 of 19 Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Haali splitter has an option "Autoload VSFilter" (DirectVobSub). If you enable it, DirectVobSub is always loaded whatever player you use. I asked Nevcairiel a similar feature with LAV Splitter. Because with WMC internal player, LAV Splitter + LAV CUVID + EVR works, but ffdshow raw video filter or DirectVobSub cannot be loaded whatever its merit value is. WMC internal player does not like two video *transform* filters by default. Perhaps SageTV is similar to WMC in this respect. Unfortunately he is not so interested in this idea. Perhaps he is not interested in WMC and SageTV (in particular as the latter is already dead, why should he spend his time on a feature necessary for a dead player? ).

So your best solution would be ffdshow Video Decoder (decoder + subtitle + deinterlace by yadif [better than hardware Motion Adaptive]). Well, actually this works pretty well.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I asked[/url] Nevcairiel a similar feature with LAV Splitter. Because with WMC internal player, LAV Splitter + LAV CUVID + EVR works, but ffdshow raw video filter or DirectVobSub cannot be loaded whatever its merit value is. WMC internal player does not like two video *transform* filters by default. Perhaps SageTV is similar to WMC in this respect. Unfortunately he is not so interested in this idea

yeah I get that impression too - everyone seems to think because WMP is so badly designed that working around its faults is a waste of time. Unfortunately, its more or less built in to media center (though you could change it with open-with) but I'm not crazy about that solution either.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:

So your best solution would be ffdshow Video Decoder (decoder + subtitle + deinterlace by yadif [better than hardware Motion Adaptive]). Well, actually this works pretty well.

Hmm. Just tried it with a .m2ts with embedded subtitles, I get nothing. Plays fine with Graphstudio, unsurprisingly. Do I need to have something other than raw enabled for ffdshow? I prefer to use lav for everything else (except VC-1).

I checked the little "enable in WMP 11" button under codecs, still nothing.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page