WinTV DCR-2650 disconnecting, not tuning properly - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I know I'm an early adopter here, but here's what I'm seeing, and I'd like the vast knowledge here to point me in some directions to look:

(Background)
2650 arrived Friday night. In-laws in town, so I couldn't drop everything and head to the cable office.

Saturday morning, I picked up the Cable Card (CC) and proceeded to work through installation. I followed the instructions and called the local office to activate. They went through their things and I couldn't get an activation.

Coincidentally (really?) about 3 hours later all the STBs in my house went belly up saying I needed to call and activate the cable cards. The readout on the LED was noCP which apparently can't be fixed remotely. Time for a truck roll - SIX DAYS FROM NOW. Uh, no.

So, I went to the local TWC office today and swapped out EVERYTHING I had. After a short call to support to activate all the tiers correctly, i was in business. Even the CC worked.

(Test the 2650)
After going through all the Media Center (WMC7) setup, I was ready. Yay - first encrypted channel worked. I started in a part of the lineup which I knew mixed SDV and non-SDV channels. Fox News HD is on 1632 while the Weather Center HD is on 1633. I thought both were SDV, but apparently not. 1632 comes in fine, 1633 won't tune.

I hooked up the Tuning Adapter (TA) to the USB on the PC and in-line with the 2650 cable in/out thinking it may allow me to get all the SDV channels. It made no difference. Hauppauge support says they're working on TA support but it's not ready. I disconnected the TA.

Here's where I need guidance. I can see the channels tuned on the browser interface on the 2650. When I try to tune a channel which won't tune, I get inconsistent error messages, ie, I get different results and error messages when I try to reproduce.

The biggest problem seems to be the 2650 connecting and disconnecting. If I'm recording something on tuner 1, and I change channels (either channel up/down or enter a number - doesn't matter), tuner 0 changes. If it's a channel I can view, all is well. If it's a channel I can't view, one of three things happens:
  1. "No TV Signal"
  2. "Service is unavailable"
  3. "Viewing or listening conflict"
  4. The 2650 disconnects

I've tried to do exactly the same things to reproduce, but I just can't. I've written down every step, followed to the letter, and get different results. Sometimes, I just get "Service is unavailable" over and over. Sometimes, the disconnect occurs.

Can anyone point me to log files in Media Center other than 1) those in C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\eHome\\logs and 2) Windows Event logs. Neither seem to show much.

I did download the latest drivers from Hauppauge. It said my firmware was up to date, and it looked like it updated the drivers. And yes, I have rebooted.

Any guidance is appreciated.

-- Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-03-2011, 07:14 PM

I have other issues. WMC is having problems seeing the device. It has seen it as two tuners, one tuner, and no tuners whatsoever. I am not sure but I think my device has issues. When I was able to tune an unencrypted channel WMC had issues and would not display the channel. Maybe the CableCARD is faulty too.

I have a Ceton card on another PC and it works like a charm compared to the WinTV-DCR-2650. If Hauppauge can't get this unit working quickly and with a Tuning Adapter, I may just return the DCR-2650 and pull the trigger on the Ceton USB tuner.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Im having the same problem with My 2650 too. It will work OK for maybe a day then I go into Media center the next day and it tells me that shows weren't recorded because there were no tuners. When I try changing channels I get service unavailable. If I reboot/pull the usb cord out and back in, it will work again. Why does it keep doing this? My HTPC never sleeps so I know its not disconnecting because of that. Ive run the cable advisor, re-run the cable setup wizard. No Luck!

It will work for maybe a day then I have to unplug and replug the Tuning adapter and the Haupauge. I also have the latest firmware/driver from the Hauppauge website.

Any help would be appreciated!

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I had that problem when I first got mine. Call the cableco, and have them do a "cold activation" of the cable card. Hauppauge support suggested I do this, and since then I have rarely gotten those random errors like you are getting.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Thanks, I'll try that!

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
post #6 of 11 Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Did this work out?

post #7 of 11 Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Bump - I've been experiencing these "no tuner available" errors on a daily basis and am about to return my 2650 because of this issue. Has anyone been able to lick this problem or is it just a fundamental product issue?

Thanks,
Colin

My Humble but functional HTPC:
nMediaPC 1000B w/VCD
Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H, integrated ATI 4250 Graphics
Athlon II X3 Rana , 3.2 GHz
4GB Ram, 1.5TB WDEARS, Windows 7 32 bit

XBox GamerTag "ZhuAn"
post #8 of 11 Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by coflo View Post

Bump - I've been experiencing these "no tuner available" errors on a daily basis and am about to return my 2650 because of this issue. Has anyone been able to lick this problem or is it just a fundamental product issue?
Thanks,
Colin
Don't let the PC sleep.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-15-2012, 07:24 PM

Wake from sleep is one thing. I get no tuner available sometmes in the middle of watching or recording a show. The tuner itself looks active but windows loses communication with it. Power cycling the tuner gets it back. Frustrating. Btw latest drivers and firmware. Cablecard itself set up and working fine.

-Colin

My Humble but functional HTPC:
nMediaPC 1000B w/VCD
Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H, integrated ATI 4250 Graphics
Athlon II X3 Rana , 3.2 GHz
4GB Ram, 1.5TB WDEARS, Windows 7 32 bit

XBox GamerTag "ZhuAn"
post #10 of 11 Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM

This is info I received from Hauppauge tech support a while back when my tuners suddenly lost ability to connect out of the blue. But before I tried any of this info, I did a live chat session with Comcast online and they got me going again. The one thing that seemed to fix mine was unplugging the power cord from the tuner box for a minute or so. So you may want to try that first.

Can you access the diagnostic screens via Windows media center by going to Settings, TV, TV signal and click on Digital tuner diagnostics. Two tuners will be listed click on the first in the list Then click on digital tuner diagnostics from here you will see an IP address which you can use to bring up the diagnostic screens outside of Media Center. Put the IP address in your browser to continue. Click on Status and then summary to check OOB for lock condition. This frequency is used for communication between the provider and the DVR 2650 . The screen shows Cable card authentication, OOB lock and card activation. This will let you know all communication is up and running. Does the status for your cable card authentication still say success? Can you also go to the Cable CARD section of the Status Menu and make sure your Card Manufacturer is shown and the authentication status is successful? Also on the Cable card page what does the signal strength and signal quality show as? If everything shows as successful, locked and signal qualities are good (above 70%) then you may want to contact the cable provider and have them do a cold hit on the card where they basically just reinitialize it and see if it works. If not then you may want to request that they then completely break down the pairing of the card and rebuild it.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by coflo View Post

sometmes in the middle of watching or recording a show.
-Colin
Never had this happen. How is your signal strength?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page