13Likes

post #271 of 3204 Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

yea, lav cuvid, you dont need it anymore, you can actually uninstall it now, since it is now part of lav video.

Oh, interesting. Okay, thanks.

Quote:

you dont have to worry about high quality format conversion since you arent converting formats through lav video.

Just curious, what is "format" referring to here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3204 Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Qaq

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Formats:
1) source videos have YUV format in most cases (check yours with Mediainfo)
2) best PC > TB output format for free players is RGB (read madVR intro here)
3) so YUV > RGB conversion must be done somethere
4) mad Video Renderer provides HQ YUV > RGB conversion inside the renderer
5) for other renderers LAV video provides HQ YUV > RGB conversion inside the video decoder (user has to check RGB32 format ONLY in LAV video output).

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
post #273 of 3204 Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Liked: 11
Is an nvidia GPU required for this guide? I had a GT 430, but had to try my ATI 5670 instead due to my screen losing signal after launching a Bluray in TMT5. I'd like to be able to bistream in M2TS files (unsupported in TMT5), but I am unable to get Dolby TrueHD to work right. I uninstalled the LAV CUVID decoder after I swapped cards because I assumed that only worked with nvidia. What is the right combination of filters that I should be running if using an ATI GPU?
post #274 of 3204 Old 10-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Liked: 10
Does anybody know if it's possible to set MPC HC to automatically use one video decoder and renderer for content flagged as interlaced (and live TV content) and a different decoder and renderer for content flagged as progressive? I have an AMD card so I can't use hardware decoding + madVR. I would normally just use Cyberlink HAM + madVR, but for interlaced content I want to use my GPU's hardware deinterlacing so I need to use a DXVA decoder and a different renderer. I'd rather not have to change the settings manually every time.

I looked at the "mediatype" flags in the external filters menu in MPC HC but can't see anything relevant.

I'm using XBMC as a front end (with MPC HC as an external player) if that helps. I know I can tell XBMC to use different external players based on different words in the name of the relevant file, so for example I could just add "int" to the name of any file that needs deinterlacing and XBMC would pick that up. But I don't know if/how I could then launch MPC HC with a different decoder/renderer set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #275 of 3204 Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Qaq

fullerdk, you can make different instances of MPC-HC with different settings. Set MPC to keep settings in its own folder. But XBMC and MPC do not care about the names so you'll have to play with extensions.

post #276 of 3204 Old 10-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks Qaq. Probably a stupid question, but when you say 'different instances', do you mean I should just have two different installs of MPC HC in different folders and associate one with certain file types and the other with the other file types? And then check "store settings in .ini" to use the unique settings for each install?
post #277 of 3204 Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Qaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerdk View Post

Thanks Qaq. Probably a stupid question, but when you say 'different instances', do you mean I should just have two different installs of MPC HC in different folders and associate one with certain file types and the other with the other file types? And then check "store settings in .ini" to use the unique settings for each install?

Yep. One installation say for HDTV and the second one for BD, for example.
This is not your stupid question but my "stupid" english I guess.

post #278 of 3204 Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 AM

That's brilliant, I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot!
post #279 of 3204 Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am having issues getting audio playback on my setup:
CPU: Intel i3-530 clarkdale
GPU: Integrated i3

The output goes from my htpc to my Onkyo 805 via hdmi. I have all of the settings in LAV Audio and followed the instructions in the first post. I left the madVR settings at default. I have tried various blu-ray rips that I made via MKV and I do not have any luck. I have attached a screenshot showing the filters that are being used.

NOTE: This issue seems to appear with files that contain DTS-MA files. I just tried Dark Knight which has TrueHD and it plays fine. Am I missing something?

UPDATE: I followed the guide on another of my HTPCs and it plays fine. The only difference with my other setup is that I am using an HD5670 to handle my GPU and audio playback. Is there some sort of filter I need to block when using an i3-530 for video/audio purposes?

EDIT2: I have attached the graphstudio of the playback for Black Swan. From it I decided to block the microsoft dtv-dvd audio/video decoders but still get the same issue.
LL
LL
post #280 of 3204 Old 10-12-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
everything looks alright. I would have guessed that you would have to set chroma and luma scaling to bilinear in madvr

are you bitstreaming or decoding it?

update intel drivers.

play around with the dts framing option in lav audio.

if all fails, see if you can update firmware on the onkyo.
post #281 of 3204 Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

everything looks alright. I would have guessed that you would have to set chroma and luma scaling to bilinear in madvr

are you bitstreaming or decoding it?

update intel drivers.

play around with the dts framing option in lav audio.

if all fails, see if you can update firmware on the onkyo.

I'll mess with the settings to change to bilinear in madvr.
1) Bitstreaming
2) I'll give this a shot and see what happens.
3) Will try this out as well.
I'll try to update the firmware but I'm using an Onkyo 805 and would have to locate the firmware to manually update it and I was able to playback media using ffdshow before I made the jump to use LAV and madVR.

One thing I noticed different in my 2 setups is that on my Denon 790 bitstream DTS shows up as DTS-MA HD while in the Onkyo I see DTS-MSTR. I assume they are the same but do not remember seeing that before.
post #282 of 3204 Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Well changed the madVR settings to bilinear and still same issue. Also attempted to upgrade the intel drivers but kept on getting errors during the upgrade. I'm just going to wait till I get my gts450 to mess with my htpc more. Should be getting it on saturday so hopefully all will be good once that is installed.
post #283 of 3204 Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 PM

Had a question about MPC-HC and GPUs so I thought I would start here. I'm looking for the cheapest solution to my problem. I just got a blu-ray rip and my PC is having trouble playing it. I have weak hardware, 1 core 2.7Ghz CPU (don't laugh XD) and an onboard Radeon HD4200, which should decode the VC-1 and AVC/h264 codec.

I have two questions. I noticed that selecting a different renderer made the BR Rip playable. How does the renderer affect the ability to decode AVC/h264? Can any renderer decode/hardware accelerate any codec?

My other questions is why, if my GPU should hardware accelerate AVC/h264, does it only peg the GPU at ~30-40% and then offloads the rest to my CPU (~80-90%)? Am I missing any codecs or picking the wrong renderer?
post #284 of 3204 Old 10-17-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 387
AMD GPU supports hardware decode acceleration only with DXVA API that requires a video decoder supporting DXVA:

- MPC Video Decoder [AVC, VC-1 , MPEG-2 ]
- MicroSoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder [AVC, MPEG-2]
- ArcSoft Video Decoder [AVC, VC-1, MPEG-2],
- CyberLink Video Decocer [AVC, VC-1, MPEG-2 ]
- CyberLink Video/SP Decoder [MPEG-2]

and one of the following video renderer (under Vista/7):

- EVR
- EVR Custom Presenter
- EVR Sync

HD 42xx does not supprt MPEG-2 VLC (variable length coding) decoding (not a big deal, though).
post #285 of 3204 Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM

Here is what I observed after some fiddling

For EVR, the CPU started at about 97% and stayed in the 90s. It was highly variable going from 80%-97%. The GPU was ~30%. The weird thing was that after about 5 minutes the CPU settled at around 85% and the GPU settled between 25%-30%.

For EVR Custom Preset, it seemed to stay within the same range. 95% for the CPU and 35% for the GPU.

For EVR Sync, GPU started off about 32% and CPU probably averaged 90%. However, after a few skipped frames the picture froze and GPU dropped to 11%.

I’m guessing the Resizer option places more work on the CPU as opposed to the GPU. The best option here was regular EVR. I do however get mixed results on different runs as I’m testing them all. I did experience audio out of sync problems with all of these options and on a few occasions, I got glitches like the video kept playing even though I pressed pause or the picture would freeze.

I also tried VMR-7 and it took up less CPU and GPU that the EVR options, however, once the audio got out of sync, that was it. Pausing didn’t sync it.
post #286 of 3204 Old 10-18-2011, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i have tried this guide in several weak systems.

i already own a HD4290 ,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=216

for progressive contents if the CPU is capapable to do the decoding the playback will be fine using MAdVR & every scaling options set to Bilinear.

if the CPU is weak you must use MPC-HC with EVR-CP in default mode [DXVA enabled]
YOu dont have to use any external decoder, just re-install MPC-HC and reset settings
during installation.

For interlaced contents , you`ll definetely have problems.
YOu have to install an external commercial player that works with DXVA
like CoreAVC,ArcSoft Video Decoder, Cyberlink
but in CCC menu you have to disable all the filters.
Bob & Adaptive should work, not a chance for Motion or Vector Adaptive.

if you have strong CPU you can also try using Cyberlink Video Decoder(SW) + MAdvr [everything in Bilinear]
post #287 of 3204 Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

what i would suggest to knight, is to use mpc hc defaults.
post #288 of 3204 Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 PM

Video does not do a lot better with System defaults. CPU is still pegged near 95% and GPU around 30%. The audio noticeably gets out of sync. I don't have any of that LAV audio and madVr stuff that's talked about earlier in this guide. My system is pretty much stock.

Here is the video info in case I'm missing something obvious as to why I'm having trouble playing this video.
DXVA Compliant.......: YES

Length...............: 2h 28mn
Size.................: 12.2GB
Total Bitrate........: 15.5 Mbps

Source...............: Blu-ray

Container............: Matroska (MKV)

Audio Info
Codec................: DTS
Bitrate..............: 1 510 Kbps
kHz/bit..............: 48 kHz / 24-bit
Channels.............: 5.1
Language.............: English

Video Info
Format...............: AVC
Format Info..........: Advanced Video Codec
Codec ID.............: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVCx264
Type.................: 1080p
Format Profile Level.: High@L5.0
Resolution...........: 1920x1040
Aspect Ratio.........: 1.85:1
Bitrate..............: 14.0 Mbps
Fps..................: 23.976 fps

Subtitles............: English
post #289 of 3204 Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight026 View Post

Here is what I observed after some fiddling

For EVR, the CPU started at about 97% and stayed in the 90s. It was highly variable going from 80%-97%. The GPU was ~30%. The weird thing was that after about 5 minutes the CPU settled at around 85% and the GPU settled between 25%-30%.

For EVR Custom Preset, it seemed to stay within the same range. 95% for the CPU and 35% for the GPU.

For EVR Sync, GPU started off about 32% and CPU probably averaged 90%. However, after a few skipped frames the picture froze and GPU dropped to 11%.

I’m guessing the Resizer option places more work on the CPU as opposed to the GPU. The best option here was regular EVR. I do however get mixed results on different runs as I’m testing them all. I did experience audio out of sync problems with all of these options and on a few occasions, I got glitches like the video kept playing even though I pressed pause or the picture would freeze.

I also tried VMR-7 and it took up less CPU and GPU that the EVR options, however, once the audio got out of sync, that was it. Pausing didn’t sync it.

CPU usage >= 90% with a single core 2.7GHz means that hardware decode acceleration is not working, that would cause all sorts of playback glitches in such a weak system. Typical CPU and GPU usage at 1080p24 AVC playback with a single core 2.8GHz:

The system used:

- Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz with 3 cores disabled
- AMD 880G
- DDR3-1333 2 x 2GB
- HD 4250 (onboard video) with 512MB shared memory
- AMD 11.9 graphics driver
- MPC HomeCinema, LAV Splitter Source + Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder + EVR (or EVR CP or EVR Sync, it does not matter)
- Clip: Iron Man (2008) [2 min HD film MKV].mkv (1080p24, AVC, TrueHD/AC-3)

Resizer is irrelevant here, resizing is done by GPU too.

Another clip: La Traviata (2010) [2 min HD i video MKV].mkv (1080i60, AVC, DTS-HD MA)

GPU is completely taxed because of deinterlacing and even if "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" is on, there is still a dropped frame every ~10 seconds. HD 42xx iGPU is too weak for interlaced contents.
LL
LL
post #290 of 3204 Old 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM

I followed the guide in the first post but I can't get Bitstreaming to work at all. It worked perfectly with Shark007 X64. When I uninstalled the Shark007 packs I reset all settings before uninstalling. I've checked all the boxes in LAV Audio - Formats but none of them bitstream.

Any ideas guys? I really like the video quality but I NEED bitstreaming to work.

COre I5 2500K
Radeon 6950 - Cat 10.8
AVR: Pioneer 1019 - HDMI 1.3b
post #291 of 3204 Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Video does not do a lot better with System defaults. CPU is still pegged near 95% and GPU around 30%. The audio noticeably gets out of sync. I don't have any of that LAV audio and madVr stuff that's talked about earlier in this guide. My system is pretty much stock.

My guess is that because that video is level 5.0, which would cause problems with dxva in some cases.

You should make your videos level 4.1 in general.
post #292 of 3204 Old 10-19-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post

I followed the guide in the first post but I can't get Bitstreaming to work at all. It worked perfectly with Shark007 X64. When I uninstalled the Shark007 packs I reset all settings before uninstalling. I've checked all the boxes in LAV Audio - Formats but none of them bitstream.

Any ideas guys? I really like the video quality but I NEED bitstreaming to work.

can you post a pic of the filters in use

right click in mpc hc, go to filters, and they will show up there.
post #293 of 3204 Old 10-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Filters...

EDIT: I figured it out. I forgot to click prefer for each of the filters.

Interesting note: When you change the priority of a filter it resets all the settings changes you made to that filter.

Thanks for helping.
LL
LL
post #294 of 3204 Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

umm, it shouldnt do that.
post #295 of 3204 Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 PM

Edit: Everyone on AVS should follow this guide. The picture and sound quality that this configuration puts out blows away my previous Shark007 X64 based setup which was already very good. The speed and smoothness of jumping through time indexes in videos is incredible and the load times are instantaneous. Totally perfect, smooth playback with fault free audio. I didn't think my HTPC would ever be this smooth.

Mindbomb, thank you so much for putting together this terrific guide. LAV+MadVR is beautiful and I'm loving the FDD show raw interlacing bonus too! I am going to share this thread with a lot of friends. Great work man, thanks again!

1. When I'm "opening dvd" from MPC:HC how do I launch the navigation window or view any of the special features?

It plays the core film perfectly but the chapter listings don't include the special features. My goal is to totally replace TMT5, I find it unreliable and cumbersome.

2. I also hate relying on AnyDvd-HD, does MPC-HC use it for anything?

3. Are there any ATI driver settings you would recommend to enhance video playback quality? (Catalyst 11.8 here)

Edit # 16: Adding the windows shell integration from Options > Player > Formats >Explorer Context Menu was a terrific addition for day to day usage.
post #296 of 3204 Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 PM

renethx you are the best, thanks for the post it's awesome. I did wonder why the GPU wasn't maxed out if hardware acceleration was working. Why isn't it working??? I'm going to download the clip and see what happens when I play it.

Do you think it's because I don't have the LAV Splitter Source + Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder?

@ MINDBOMB How does the Format Profile Level affect this? If it's hardware decoding then it should max out the GPU and not the CPU.

System Specs
GA-MA785GMT-UD2H - ATI Radeon HD 4200
AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor, 2700 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
DDR3- 1066 2X2GB

I'm eventually going to upgrade this PC with a more powerful CPU and GPU, but not until next year.
post #297 of 3204 Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post

1. When I'm "opening dvd" from MPC:HC how do I launch the navigation window or view any of the special features?

It plays the core film perfectly but the chapter listings don't include the special features. My goal is to totally replace TMT5, I find it unreliable and cumbersome.

2. I also hate relying on AnyDvd-HD, does MPC-HC use it for anything?

3. Are there any ATI driver settings you would recommend to enhance video playback quality? (Catalyst 11.8 here)

1. For BD, menus are not supported yet. Only commercial BD players support them.

2. Are you playing BD from an optical drive? Only commercial BD players can play AACS protected contents without AnyDVD HD. At ripping people usually remove AACS protection by AnyDVD HD or by using MakeMKV or DVDFab. Otherwise, for example, if you create an ISO without removing AACS protection, you will have to use AnyDVD HD at each playback.

3. CCC > Video > Video Settings affects video playback only when you use EVR. If you use madVR, basically selecting a color pixel format is the only option of AMD CCC you can choose.
post #298 of 3204 Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

renethx you are the best, thanks for the post it's awesome. I did wonder why the GPU wasn't maxed out if hardware acceleration was working. Why isn't it working??? I'm going to download the clip and see what happens when I play it.

Do you think it's because I don't have the LAV Splitter Source + Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder?

@ MINDBOMB How does the Format Profile Level affect this? If it's hardware decoding then it should max out the GPU and not the CPU.

System Specs
GA-MA785GMT-UD2H - ATI Radeon HD 4200
AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor, 2700 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
DDR3- 1066 2X2GB

I'm eventually going to upgrade this PC with a more powerful CPU and GPU, but not until next year.

GPU consists of two parts (from the viewpoint of video playback):

- UVD (Universal Video Decoder): a fixed function for decoding compressed video formats
- Stream processors: for post-processing decoded video streams

GPU-Z shows the activity of stream processors. For progressive contents, post processing tasks are moderate (depending on what options you selected in CCC > Video > Video Settings) so that "GPU Load" is ~50%. For interlaced contents, deinterlacing could load stream processors to max (depending on the deinterlacing level [Vector adaptive etc.] and how many stream processors GPU has; HD 42xx has bare minimum).

You should try several movies. If hardware decode acceleration does not work with any of them, then there may be a codec issue or a driver issue (uninstall/reinstall the driver and/or try another decoder). LAV Splitter Source is highly recommended. If it does not work with only some files, then the issue is file-specific (e.g. MKV file badly encoded by somebody). Profile/level could affect this. But this applies to older AMD drivers which supported DXVA only for Level 4.1. I tested a couple of AVC Level 5.0/5.1 clips in the same system with no problem.

If you post a short (2 min is enough) clip of the movie in question, e.g. at 4shared.com, I can test it for you. How to make a clip.
post #299 of 3204 Old 10-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Qaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

3. CCC > Video > Video Settings affects video playback only when you use EVR. If you use madVR, basically selecting a color pixel format is the only option of AMD CCC you can choose.

I don't remember about Video settings but even madshi advices to disable some options in D3D settings.

post #300 of 3204 Old 10-20-2011, 01:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post

even madshi advices to disable some options in D3D settings.

Yup, the *default* settings in CCC > Gaming > 3D Application Settings are the best. So don't bother with these settings unless you have changed them to play games. BTW the defaults are:

- Anti-Aliasing > Use applications settings: checked, Morphological filtering: unchecked
- Anisotropic Filtering > Use applications settings: checked
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page