Originally Posted by danbez
My HTPC has been stable for a good year and therefore I had no incentive to update MadVR, NVidia drivers, etc. but now it's time to take care of those things, and I am not sure what is the latest info on the topics below:
1. NVidia drivers: I have a GTX650 and last time I installed the drivers, I had to hack the setup process and modify the INI file in order to get 0-255. Is this still necessary? If yes, any better method ? What driver version should I use - is the latest one from Nvidia the best option?
2. MadVR settings - if anyone has tips on what would be the best config for my case - Film only mode, mix of blu-ray, 1080i, 720p and DVD content, using GTX650 and a projector capable of 24p.
3. NVidia custom resolution - is this still necessary in order to get proper 24 frames/second? If yes, is there a nice place with instructions? I know I saw one before, but I can't find it now.
1. I don't know about needing to hack the NVidia .ini file to get 0-255, but I have just always installed the latest driver, but have always kept all of the original downloads in case a new one doesn't work.
2. MadVR settings are pretty straightforward I think. About the only decision to make involve upscaling. I use the bicubic, sharpness = 75 setting, but test them all to see which one you like. To me, the differences were subtle.
3. Finally, here are the 1080p24 settings, and yes you still need to create a custom resolution for them:
active pixels horizontal: 1920 vertical: 1080
front porch horizontal: 638 vertical: 4
sync width horizontal: 44 vertical: 5
total pixels horizontal: 2750 vertical: 1124
polarity horizontal: positive vertical: positive
refresh rate: 23.978
These came from Nvidia and do work.
Hope this helps a little.