12Likes

post #3181 of 3190 Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
If you are using a 7.1 capable receiver, but only happen to have a 5.1 speaker setup then it should be able to downmix 7.1 PCM to 5.1 speakers. However the EQ might be screwy as your software is preforming its EQ under the assumption that there are 8 channels when there are really only 6 being output. You would likely get better results by telling the software to downmix to 5.1 before EQ is applied.

If your receiver is only 5.1 capable and you are feeding it 7.1 then it will just discard the extra 2 channels worth of audio information. So, again, you would be better off having the software downmix to 5.1 before EQ is applied and certainly before the audio is output.

Both scenarios assume that you are passing the audio from the PC to the receiver over HDMI. Normally, the PC and receiver should be able to sort this out on their own during the HDMI handshake, at which point the receiver will tell the PC that it can only handle 5.1 audio. Obviously, if you are using analog connections then you would also want to do the downmixing in the software as you could then keep the signal in the analog domain after the initial DAC, so as to avoid multiple conversions.
Thanks a lot for your reply. In my case, I have only a 5.1 capable receiver. I guess I was under the mistaken assumption that the receiver would handle 7.1 bitstreamed audio by performing a downmix internally to 5.1. I wasn't aware that the receiver would simply discard the extra channel data.

And yes, I do have everything hooked up via HDMI from my HTPC to my receiver. So if I want to perform the downmixing using LAV Audio in MPC-HC, what options should I use? My windows driver for my HDMI output (audio) is already setup as a 5.1 configuration. In LAV Audio...I believe Matrix Method (or some similar option) is set to None.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3190 Old 09-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
If your receiver is only 5.1 capable and you are feeding it 7.1 then it will just discard the extra 2 channels worth of audio information. So, again, you would be better off having the software downmix to 5.1 before EQ is applied and certainly before the audio is output.
Actually, this turned out to be untrue for my Yamaha RX-V375 receiver. I think what you stated may be accurate for older 5.1 receivers, but I believe that all the newer 5.1 receivers are aware the the input audio stream can be 7.1. I tested with a DTS-HD-MA 7.1 channel test clip, bitstreamed to my receiver and it played back both the surround and back speaker content on the 5.1 surround speakers correctly, indicating that the receiver is downmixing 7.1 to 5.1

I also tested with LAV Filter set to do the mixing and matrix type to "None", and that also seemed to perform the downmix to 5.1 correctly and outputs the matching LPCM output to my receiver.

Now I just gotta figure out why my LAV audio mix is ~ 6dB lower in volume than what my receiver outputs when I bitstream content to it. Most likely it is due to the default levels used for each channel in the mixing process by LAV filters.
post #3183 of 3190 Old 09-17-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Actually, this turned out to be untrue for my Yamaha RX-V375 receiver. I think what you stated may be accurate for older 5.1 receivers, but I believe that all the newer 5.1 receivers are aware the the input audio stream can be 7.1. I tested with a DTS-HD-MA 7.1 channel test clip, bitstreamed to my receiver and it played back both the surround and back speaker content on the 5.1 surround speakers correctly, indicating that the receiver is downmixing 7.1 to 5.1

I also tested with LAV Filter set to do the mixing and matrix type to "None", and that also seemed to perform the downmix to 5.1 correctly and outputs the matching LPCM output to my receiver.

Now I just gotta figure out why my LAV audio mix is ~ 6dB lower in volume than what my receiver outputs when I bitstream content to it. Most likely it is due to the default levels used for each channel in the mixing process by LAV filters.
Just to verify, when you say you bitstreamed the audio to your receiver, you mean that the receiver was doing the decoding, correct? If that is the case then your receiver is capable of pulling the 5.1 core out from the mix, which would work as you stated. However, I'm not so sure that the receiver would know what to do with the extra 2 channels of PCM if you have the PC doing the decoding and outputting 7.1. By the time the receiver gets it, it really has no way of knowing if those two extra channels are surround back audio, front height audio, top middle audio, etc. As I mentioned above, when using HDMI, the player would usually know the capabilities of the receiver. So, even if the player is doing the decoding it will downmix to the correct number of channels automatically. However, since the original question was with regards to doing the decoding in a PC (which offers customization that your typical CE appliance does not have), it is possible that it could be set to ignore the capabilities of the receiver and output 7.1 anyway. Again, when using analog connections, the player has no way of knowing the capabilities of the receiver, so the audio would be output based purely on what settings you have in the player and the number of channels present in the actual content. Naturally, 5.1 receivers don't typically have analog inputs for more than 5.1 channels anyway, so you would have more output cables than you have inputs and the audio in the extra channels would clearly be lost.
post #3184 of 3190 Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Just to verify, when you say you bitstreamed the audio to your receiver, you mean that the receiver was doing the decoding, correct? If that is the case then your receiver is capable of pulling the 5.1 core out from the mix, which would work as you stated.
Yes, that is what I meant. However, I am not clear if it is actually pulling a 5.1 core? It definitely plays the lossless audio stream (I can tell from the improved dynamic range, and "lower" volume level that one experiences when playing back lossless audio tracks from movies), but as I mentioned, the test clip containst 7.1 audio in DTS-HD-MA where each of the 7.1 channel has pink noise sent to it sequentially. If the receiver was simply pulling 5.1 from this audio stream, wouldn't it play no audio on my Surround speakers when the video clip is playing audio for the Back Left and Back Right channels? In my case, if the receiver decodes the 7.1 stream, it still plays the Back Left and Back Right audio stream on my Surround speakers.

Quote:
As I mentioned above, when using HDMI, the player would usually know the capabilities of the receiver. So, even if the player is doing the decoding it will downmix to the correct number of channels automatically. However, since the original question was with regards to doing the decoding in a PC (which offers customization that your typical CE appliance does not have), it is possible that it could be set to ignore the capabilities of the receiver and output 7.1 anyway. Again, when using analog connections, the player has no way of knowing the capabilities of the receiver, so the audio would be output based purely on what settings you have in the player and the number of channels present in the actual content. Naturally, 5.1 receivers don't typically have analog inputs for more than 5.1 channels anyway, so you would have more output cables than you have inputs and the audio in the extra channels would clearly be lost.
After some more testing, it appears that I was mistaken. Both Windows mixer or LAV Filters (depending on which one I selected to do my audio mixing) were downmixing the 7.1 audio stream during the software decoding and outputting it as 5.1 PCM to my receiver via HDMI. As a result, the Yamaha handles it fine and just acts as a "dumb" receiver, passing through the 5.1 decoded audio stream.

All that being said, I have found subtle differences between how my Yamaha Receiver, Windows Mixer and LAV Filters decodes the 7.1 audio stream to 5.1 and at the moment, I'm not sure which is the "right" way. I've posted more information on this in a separate thread here: Correct output when 7.1 audio is downmixed to 5.1 speaker setup?

Would certainly appreciate any input if you have any insight on this. Cheers.
post #3185 of 3190 Old 09-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What's the latest best version of catalyst for working with MadVR 87.1?

Currently using 13.12 and it works ok - have a few issues I am hoping go away with a newer version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3186 of 3190 Old 09-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

What's the latest best version of catalyst for working with MadVR 87.1?

Currently using 13.12 and it works ok - have a few issues I am hoping go away with a newer version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3187 of 3190 Old 09-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 89
newer version work all some people tested 14.xx version with 13.12 and 13.12 was faster in nnedi3. the newest version works fine for me.
post #3188 of 3190 Old 09-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I can't get any subtitles to work, I'm using madVR and xy subfilter. Can someone help me please?

post #3189 of 3190 Old 09-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
I can't get any subtitles to work, I'm using madVR and xy subfilter. Can someone help me please?
You don't mention the video player you are using - but subs are not currently a madVR thing (hopefully soon repositioning support). In mpchc you have to disable the internal sub support. make sure xyfilter is showing up in the list of filters via right click "filters".

post #3190 of 3190 Old 09-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I figured it out - I had installed the folder in downloads, and then deleted it. I just had to move it to the MPC file and install it, and not delete it and it worked. Thanks.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page