post #301 of 3080 Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I just moved from a GT 545 to a GTS 450 on my main HTPC which is an i3 Clarkdsale, intel mainboard and intel SSD. Now I moved a Ceton out of my HTPC and put it in a dedicated Sandy Bridge. I can tell you the PC now does video much more smoothly, is it because the Ceton is off the bus, is it because the GTS 450 does the deinterlacing better.. and decodes faster I don't know, maybe all of the above. What I did not expect is that Live Digital Cable TV looks much more like it is was off my Tivo than what my Ceton has looked like. I believe that PC is using Cyberlink PD DVD 10 with Hardware deinterlacing.. Noticeably smoother. In JR Rvier I was watching one of my most challening MKVs.. from a DVD that the bit flags for film, movie are wrong. Anway, while the GTS 450 running LAV CUVID still gets the cadence wrong I am amazed at how much smoother it plays even playing it wrong. I have only ever seen one set top box get it right, clever deinterlacer in that one. My Iscan DUO can't get it right. I have the high end Toshiba HD DVD on a shelf somewhere, it could get it right, if you set it to film mode.... most even when set to a manual mode would jump to the wrong mode, I guess reading the flags.. definitely torture test. Lots of edges on bias to create a mess. Love the content though... between the bad edits, the wrongs flag and a color pallette that is super easy to turn muddy... it goes from totally unwatchable with poor playback to tolerable when it is done very well. It looks good on the GTS 450 with madVR.. Too bad LAV CUVID can't make sense out of the cadence and the flags either... still, it is the best I have ever seen it rendered off a PC.

I have to verify levels with the new GPU as they seem a bit off now, but it is just smoother, oh and it does madVR clearly better because I can make out lots of detail in test source material that I am very familiar. Text like lyrics on papers in front of musicians was readable for the first time in certain scenes. That was more than the subjective thing. Lots of little details that were previously not idenitfiable were clear as a bell.

I don't know the why's I can only report the observances. I really like the GT 545 as it was a quiet single slot Nvidia solution and the video looked much nicer than a GT 430 did running madVR in this same box.

So I started off with the Clarksdale iGPU then discovered madVR and moved to Nvidia. Don't get me wrong the Intel ideo has a nice look to it, it can't handle madVR and while a pain in some ways because it is not appliacable to WMC just produces video in another class from EVR. My display is pretty big, so improvements show.

Anway, I think the GTS 450 is as powerful a GPU as I am willing to go to at this time in an HTPC because I think the powerconsumption, noise and cost requirements for the more powerful GPUs start to reach the diminishing returns point for HTPC. I got the GTS 450 for $89. I was quite surprised that the EVGA GTS 450 was actually quieter than the EVGA GT 545. All in all it was a nice upgrade and I have a very good home in another HTPC client for the GT 545.

This is the exact same card I just gotten for my recent i5 build and I can hardly hear the fan at all. With that said...

I have been playing with JRMC for awhile and MPC-HC along with using it with WMC7. I'm trying to decide in what would be the best front end to use in this case. WMC doesn't support MKV files out the box without modification (needing Shark's codec pack to do so) and with all filters/decoders aside, so far I am pleased with how the LAV based filters work with each other in JRMC.

I would like to see how well these filters work with SD and older material. I don't have a very large display like some here have (I only have 40" Samsung) but I have a sizable amount of SD material that I would like to see how improved they would look with the LAV filters and MadVR. I even have some solid VHS material that I think may benefit from this too, I just havent had the chance to test it yet.

What about DVD's (after being converted to MKV since I know MadVR doesn't work with DVD folder structure)? Would these be upconverted with LAV and MadVR? Lots of questions but taking more time to discover the answers.

The main problem I am trying to work out a resolution for is that while I like the WMC+MB+MPC-HC combo and now just discovered this thread in setting up MPC-HC to use MadVR and LAV CUVID, I also like that JRMC automatically downloads these filters automatically, though I don't mind doing the configurations in MPC as I learn new things each time. Only downside with JRMC is the lack of Ceton support which forces me to use WMC for that. And I like JRMC for the audio capabilities to which WMC lacks. So now its the matter of deciding on one player to where I don't have to juggle between two MC's to play different material.

I wish I had some test video files that I can test on my new system to put it through its paces and to see how well it will do. With the i5 2500 (no 'K') and GTS450 I am certain this system should do pretty well.

For my needs, I don't aim to do alot of tinkering because otherwise I would never enjoy my HTPC but I would be wiling to do what's necessary to set things up to where I can be satisfied with and enjoy my media collection as it is. I only want to download and install the necessary software/filters for good performance to where I can keep my system clean software-wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 3080 Old 10-20-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
MKV vs M2TS... One thing I noticed it that some of my MKVs are actually larger than the M2TS that they are based on. Why and how does this happen?

Example: On my Saving Private Ryan bluray when I look at the M2TS it's only 24gb but the MKV I just made came out to 35gbs! I must be doing something wrong with the container?
post #303 of 3080 Old 10-20-2011, 05:01 PM

Liked: 15
something wrongs with your rips...

but this is completely offtopic
post #304 of 3080 Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry I'll get back on topic...

When I'm watching Avatar I can't figure out how to get the LAV splitter to only display the Naavi sections. I don't watch Anime anymore, I would like to configure LAV and MPC-HC to just show english subs and use english audio in the portions of movies where it was intended.

Thanks.
post #305 of 3080 Old 10-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Liked: 10
@ renethx

I played the Iron Man clip. Under system default settings the CPU was maxed out at 100% GPU < 30%. Using EVR settings, the CPU < 50% and the GPU went up to 65%. It works. I played my movie again, Scott Pilgrim btw, and this time it doesn't skip and the audio stays in sync even though my CPU is actually being pegged at 100%. The GPU is still around 30%. So I'm guessing it's the my movie.

I should mentioned that I upgraded the video drivers yesterday to 11.9.

Here is the clip
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=65AY6HMD
post #306 of 3080 Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post

MKV vs M2TS... One thing I noticed it that some of my MKVs are actually larger than the M2TS that they are based on. Why and how does this happen?

Example: On my Saving Private Ryan bluray when I look at the M2TS it's only 24gb but the MKV I just made came out to 35gbs! I must be doing something wrong with the container?

The main title may consists of several M2TS files in the STREAM folder (so called "seamless branching") so that the size of the ripped MKV file ~ the sum of the size of these M2TS files. I don't know about Saving Private Ryan, however.
post #307 of 3080 Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Qaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post

I would like to configure LAV and MPC-HC to just show english subs and use english audio in the portions of movies where it was intended.

MPC-HC - External filters - LAV splitter ("add" if doesn't exist) - double click and configure.

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
post #308 of 3080 Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight026 View Post

Here is the clip
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=65AY6HMD

I tested the clip. CPU and GPU usage are both < 50%. See the attached screenshot. I see occasional CPU spikes (not shown in the screenshot) with stuttering (I don't know why), but overall playback is smooth.

In general you'd better rip BD with all video/audio/subtitle tracks intact (in MKV, folder, ISO). That assures the best PQ and compatibility.
LL
post #309 of 3080 Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 PM

when I run some MKVs (FLAC) on my default setup (MPC-HC+MadVR+LAV CUVID/splitter/audio on Nvidia 430GT) I get horrible artificating, skipped frames, and occasional stuttering. The same MKV on WMP with Shark007 default setup (FFDShow+Gabest) works perfectly. I'd rather use the MadVR setup cause it's noticeably better but these non-working MKVs are annoying. Any ideas what the issue could be?
post #310 of 3080 Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
you should use lav video, and configure it for cuvid, rather than using lav cuvid.

Also, with the release of lav video .38, there has been a change to how you prefer a subtitle/audio track.
you can read about it here
http://1f0.de/lav-splitter/lav-split...eam-selection/
post #311 of 3080 Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys!

I use only Lav Filters on MPC-HC official build and i can get bitexact over ReClock. (THD, DTS-HD, PCM):

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...35#post1534135

_ _ _ _

Chronical Tester
post #312 of 3080 Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 PM

Liked: 11
I just got some time to test FFdshow and Avisynth/MVtools, and holy **** did it put the "HD" back into TV. (like i remember the $25,000 tv's in the 90's, and some display's today)

i need try out this gpu/ha, when i have time. The wife and I are hooked on the smooth motion. All of our movies are on the rewatch list.

it's funny after the "new video formats" start to level out, i always end up back at FFdshow video codecs and High Quality tweaking.

If you don't like smooth motion/interpolation/doubling. There is a happy medium,that will put all TV's to a new "higher" level.

Im hooked.

ps; I need to find a HA solution for x64 & AMD Radeons, eventually.
post #313 of 3080 Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I understood that PCM bitexact passthrough issue is not related with MPC builds but volume slide bar has to be set to 100% for PCM bitexact streaming:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...40#post1534340

_ _ _

Chronical Tester
post #314 of 3080 Old 10-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

I understood that PCM bitstreaming issue is not related with MPC builds but volume slide bar has to be set to 100% for PCM bitexact streaming:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...40#post1534340

_ _ _

i use exactly these settings for sendind bit-perfect
lossless PCM tracks via hdmi
from an old ati 4290.

i confirm that it works.

Edit: the term *multi channel pcm* was wrong.

thanks Renethx
post #315 of 3080 Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

HD 4290 is GPU integrated in 890GX chipset, right? It does not support multichannel LPCM either. It supports only DD, DTS, stereo PCM.
post #316 of 3080 Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 AM

I read through the guide and I'm not sure about the audio for my setup.

I don't understand the bitstreaming part through hdmi and spdif, I'm not using those methods.

I'm playing a high def movie from my desktop which will use my asus xonar dg soundcard. There is no hdmi or spdif involved.

So I'm guessing I'm in the "Optional - Advanced DTS and DTS-HD Decoding" group?

Assuming that, you say Arcsoft's dtsdecoderdll.dll will only decode high quality DTS and DTS-HD through LAV audio.

What about Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD? How do I decode those?

Also if I'm not bistreaming that means I don't have to check off any of those options under bitstreaming, correct?
post #317 of 3080 Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

You have to decode all compressed audio formats. For DTS-HD, you will need dtsdecoderdll.dll. For DTS/DD/DD+/TrueHD, LAV Audio Decoder (ffmpeg) will decode them.
post #318 of 3080 Old 10-27-2011, 11:21 AM

thx a lot
post #319 of 3080 Old 10-28-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Done the update on Doom9; LAV Filters+ReClock > Bitexact Streaming:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...20#post1534720

_ __

Chronical Tester
post #320 of 3080 Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 AM

Every now and again my htpc sounds settings (in Control Panel, Sounds, Speaker setup) keep going back to Stereo even though I set them to 5.1. This is Windows 7. Has anyone experienced the same thing? Is there any way to fix it to always be 5.1?

Thanks.
post #321 of 3080 Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmeli View Post

Every now and again my htpc sounds settings (in Control Panel, Sounds, Speaker setup) keep going back to Stereo even though I set them to 5.1. This is Windows 7. Has anyone experienced the same thing? Is there any way to fix it to always be 5.1?

Thanks.

When do they go back to stereo? (E.g. at start up.)

If you use WASAPI exclusive mode, you don't have to bother with sound settings.
post #322 of 3080 Old 10-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

It seems to be random. If I follow the setup here at the beginning of this thread, does that mean I am using WSAPI?
post #323 of 3080 Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No, this setup relies on directsound.
post #324 of 3080 Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Can you explain how?
post #325 of 3080 Old 10-30-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmeli View Post

Can you explain how?

yea, ricah bullah's post details that.

Keep in mind that you can continue to use madvr, i think he circled evr cp by accident.
post #326 of 3080 Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Renethx has posted this methology using Reclock via Wasapi along time ago:

playing BD disc with MPC-Home Cinema w/bit-perfect HD audio over analog soundcard

the only difference is that now we can use lav audio with dtsdecoderdll.dll
as rica and mindrop suggested instead of ArcSoft TMT3 Audio Decoder.
post #327 of 3080 Old 10-31-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

yea, ricah bullah's post details that.

Keep in mind that you can continue to use madvr, i think he circled evr cp by accident.

Correct; you can use any video renderer.

BTW i found the opportunity to make further tests on bitexact PCM passthrough:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...17#post1535217

_ _ _ _ _

Chronical Tester
post #328 of 3080 Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM

I haven't done any of the wasapi stuff yet but I was just trying to play a DVD rip and I get an error saying DVD Macrovision fail. I see there is a thread here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=159492 that discusses adding a dll to fix the issue. Is that what everyone else is doing?
post #329 of 3080 Old 11-01-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i dont really watch too many dvds, but i would just play the ifo file directly.
post #330 of 3080 Old 11-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

i dont really watch too many dvds, but i would just play the ifo file directly.

I do not have an ifo. All my dvd's are ripped to video ts folders.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page