Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 110 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
post #3271 of 3298 Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
The setup guide in the first post doesn't mach newer Versions of some of the apps but otherwise it's great.
Agreed. Great guide, however, I wouldn't mind a refreshed version as well... considering that this particular thread is the most visited MPC-HC set-up guide on the internet, I feel like it should be kept up to date

I vote for a guide refresh to include recommended settings for both Intel HD graphics, Nvidia and ATI...
Schroinx likes this.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3298 Old 01-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
+1
post #3273 of 3298 Old 01-03-2015, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The Guide is still quiete relevant, I had no idea Media Player Home Cinema was better than VLC for streaming lossless audio. Only gap for me was equalizer, which has to be done on the AVR. Also better to turn off dynamic range control on the AVR to improve sound.

HiFi: Realtek ALC1150, Audigy 2 ZS, Yamaha RX-A840, GoldenEar Triton Three (LR), Aiwa SX-N999 (FLR Presence), GoldenEar SuperSat 50C, QED, Bandridge, Real Cables | Samsung 5+ 60" Plasma | Desktop: Creative Inspire T7700 | Travel: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms, Shure SE 215 | Creative Sound Blaster Roar, Exogear ExoBT
post #3274 of 3298 Old 01-08-2015, 04:01 PM

Has anyone done listening tests while playing 2 channel stereo MP3 or AAC content, whilst soundcard output is set to DTS Interactive 5.1 (Realtek). The output is effectively being live up-mixed and transcoded on the fly, from the TOSLINK.

Good, bad, or no discernible difference?

HiFi: Realtek ALC1150, Audigy 2 ZS, Yamaha RX-A840, GoldenEar Triton Three (LR), Aiwa SX-N999 (FLR Presence), GoldenEar SuperSat 50C, QED, Bandridge, Real Cables | Samsung 5+ 60" Plasma | Desktop: Creative Inspire T7700 | Travel: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms, Shure SE 215 | Creative Sound Blaster Roar, Exogear ExoBT
post #3275 of 3298 Old 01-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does anyone here know if MPC-HC can display the Closed Captions (Line 21 data) that are found in recorded files (MPEG-2 based .tp/.ts) captured from HD OTA ATSC broadcast (North America)? I have tried to enable this feature, but have not had any luck. Thanks to all in advance for any assistance in this matter.

post #3276 of 3298 Old 01-12-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I recently did a fresh install on my PC and followed this guide like I usually do however now it is only decoding DTS audio streams instead of DTS-HD MA streams. What am I doing wrong? Pin info is showing DTS 48000Hz 6ch 1536kbps
and also the same on my reciever. Before I did a fresh windows install I never used to have this problem it just used to show DTS HD MA.

Last edited by Elvenmunky; 01-12-2015 at 10:16 AM.
post #3277 of 3298 Old 01-18-2015, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I have one question about madvr is my pc fast enaugh for this settings: in madvr setting i made following: at devices i choosed digital monitor, at processing i left everything at default, at chroma upscaling i set jinc 3 taps with AR, image doubling i only checked all, at image upscalling i also choosed jinc 3 taps wit AR and at image downscalling i left catmull-rom and turned on AR and LL. I rendering i unthicked enable automatick fullscreen exclusive mode. Are this settings good?
My pc spec are:
my pc is: CPU: FX 8320
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS10X OPTIMA
MBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
RAM: TRANSCEND 2X4 GB 1600 MHZ (8GB)
HDD: WD BLUE 1TB SATA 3
GPU: MSI GTX 760 2GB TF IV GAMING OC
PSU: FORTRON FSP RAIDER 550W 80+ SILVER
CASE: ZALMAN Z3 PLUS ATX USB 3.0
post #3278 of 3298 Old 01-18-2015, 05:00 AM

Hello,
I have one question about madvr is my pc fast enaugh for this settings: in madvr setting i made following: at devices i choosed digital monitor, at processing i left everything at default, at chroma upscaling i set jinc 3 taps with AR, image doubling i only checked all, at image upscalling i also choosed jinc 3 taps wit AR and at image downscalling i left catmull-rom and turned on AR and LL. I rendering i unthicked enable automatick fullscreen exclusive mode. Are this settings good?
My pc spec are:
my pc is: CPU: FX 8320
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS10X OPTIMA
MBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
RAM: TRANSCEND 2X4 GB 1600 MHZ (8GB)
HDD: WD BLUE 1TB SATA 3
GPU: MSI GTX 760 2GB TF IV GAMING OC
PSU: FORTRON FSP RAIDER 550W 80+ SILVER
CASE: ZALMAN Z3 PLUS ATX USB 3.0
post #3279 of 3298 Old 01-18-2015, 05:01 AM

Sorrry for double post
post #3280 of 3298 Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 133
should work fine.

good is what looks good to you.
post #3281 of 3298 Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Agreed. Great guide, however, I wouldn't mind a refreshed version as well... considering that this particular thread is the most visited MPC-HC set-up guide on the internet, I feel like it should be kept up to date

I vote for a guide refresh to include recommended settings for both Intel HD graphics, Nvidia and ATI...
I have refreshed this guide myself. Most of the information pertains to using either MPC-HC or MPC-BE in conjunction with Kodi Entertainment Center, but it provides a much more detailed set-up of both MPC and madVR.

You can find that guide here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596.
post #3282 of 3298 Old 01-19-2015, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

what about smooth motion and image doubling?
and your guide make only sense when used with kodi. that's fine but...

Quote:
Settings Category: Video Decoder - LAV Video

The main setting to be concerned with in LAV Video is the type of hardware acceleration to be used. This is especially important when using a GPU-based renderer such as madVR. The recommendations are straight-forward based on your graphic card's manufacturer:
  • Intel: Intel QuickSync
  • Nvidia: NVIDIA CUVID
  • AMD: DXVA2 (copy-back)
Hardware acceleration lightens the load by offloading video processing calculations from the CPU to the GPU.
this is wrong madVR doesn't really care how hard your CPU works but DXVA copy back, CUVID (just a waste of power compared to DXVA copy back) and QS put more load to the GPU because first the h264 stream is uploaded than decoded by a ASIC and than loaded back to the CPU ram again just be uploaded by madVR again... it's not a lot for a modern GPU but it's more than zero. some GPU lose a lot of precessing power when DXVA is used too (they get limited to mid powerstate) for example the 6770 from AMD.

you should add the mixer part from this guide to your guide too. on a 5.1 system a 7.1 audio stream will lose 2 channel without it. 7.1 PCM is part of the BD spec so this can easily happen.
post #3283 of 3298 Old 01-19-2015, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
what about smooth motion and image doubling?
and your guide make only sense when used with kodi. that's fine but...

this is wrong madVR doesn't really care how hard your CPU works but DXVA copy back, CUVID (just a waste of power compared to DXVA copy back) and QS put more load to the GPU because first the h264 stream is uploaded than decoded by a ASIC and than loaded back to the CPU ram again just be uploaded by madVR again... it's not a lot for a modern GPU but it's more than zero. some GPU lose a lot of precessing power when DXVA is used too (they get limited to mid powerstate) for example the 6770 from AMD.

you should add the mixer part from this guide to your guide too. on a 5.1 system a 7.1 audio stream will lose 2 channel without it. 7.1 PCM is part of the BD spec so this can easily happen.
I understand what you are saying. But how would you reword that section in your own words. I have no problem with improving the technical accuracy of the guide. I have questioned whether this setting does anything given madVR already uses the GPU almost exclusively.

Smooth Motion and Image Doubling are mentioned in the madVR section. However, this content is left to a guide written by the JRiver people. I linked to their guide rather than repeat an already well-written document. As far as Smooth Motion goes, I don't like it. It is still just image interpolation, not unlike the processing found in LED television. I know the marketing is different, but the result is the same. You are getting further away from what 24p content looks like not closer to it. Maybe you can speak more about image doubling. I think this is a matter of personal taste, as well, as I cannot see a difference at all. Granted, I don't watch any SD content. But again, the JRiver guide discusses all of this and is integrated into what is there.

Lastly, is mixing even necessary when using WASAPI Exclusive rendering? Or is this a limitation of the available channels of your soundcard? Are you saying it is better to mix streams in MPC-HC when your 5.1 soundcard encounters a 7.1 source?

Last edited by Onkyoman; 01-19-2015 at 01:17 PM.
post #3284 of 3298 Old 01-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
I understand what you are saying. But how would you reword that section in your own words. I have no problem with improving the technical accuracy of the guide. I have questioned whether this setting does anything given madVR already uses the GPU almost exclusively.
just change it to a way to make clear this option helps "slow" CPU to unload common video codecs to the GPU and let the GPU decode it. on a i3-i7 system with a AMD 260 or better GPU DXVA is just wasting power nothing more in most cases. software has better error handling and doesn't crash as easy as DXVA. it simply doesn't help madVR at all.

Quote:
Smooth Motion and Image Doubling are mentioned in the madVR section. However, this content is left to a guide written by the JRiver people. I linked to their guide rather than repeat an already well-written document. As far as Smooth Motion goes, I don't like it. It is still just image interpolation, not unlike the processing found in LED television. I know the marketing is different, but the result is the same. You are getting further away from what 24p content looks like not closer to it. Maybe you can speak more about image doubling. I think this is a matter of personal taste, as well, as I cannot see a difference at all. Granted, I don't watch any SD content. But again, the JRiver guide discusses all of this and is integrated into what is there.
madVR smooth motion (SM) doesn't work like SVP or LCD motion interpolation. it only blends frames nothing more a 24 hz movie on a 60 hz screen looks the "same" as a 24 HZ movie on a 24 hz screen the motion is not improved by making things up.
it is made to display files that can not be run in there native refresh rate or a multiply of that. it doesn't come up with more frames that does not exist they are just blended. just use a 24 hz file and set your TV to 25 hz or 30 hz with active madVR SM you will see the terrible look blended frames. that's why you should use SM only with the highest possible refreshrate so you can't see these blended frames.
madVR SM is a good way to fix the DNR issue with the EC9300 OLED. I personally don't use SM only for VFR videos and of cause i use it on my gaming PC because the dispalys can't do 23p, 24p and stuff like this.
Quote:
Lastly, is mixing even necessary when using WASAPI Exclusive rendering? Or is this a limitation of the available channels of your soundcard? Are you saying it is better to mix streams in MPC-HC when your 5.1 soundcard encounters a 7.1 source?
I don't know that for sure.
I guess is depends on the operation system and sound card. my xanor essence stx needs a mixer or the volume is very low a friend was complaining about missing voices with this stereo setup so I guess the windows mixer is not always working. but the most important part is it never hurts to set this to the right channel. it simply makes sure things don't go wrong. reclock was optional so wasapi is optional too I guess?
i can try some more soundcards but is work to do X-)

have a ESI prodigy in my gaming PC and of cause some onboard sound cards.
post #3285 of 3298 Old 01-20-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Still worth using the reclock? I have a 120hz monitor, along with a gtx970, speakers 2.0, it is still necessary to use the reclock?
post #3286 of 3298 Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

you should use madVR SM or reclock.
I find it very hard to see issue with madVR SM on a 120 hz screen.

without this you will get a repeated frame from time to time.
post #3287 of 3298 Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by incidentflux View Post
Has anyone done listening tests while playing 2 channel stereo MP3 or AAC content, whilst soundcard output is set to DTS Interactive 5.1 (Realtek). The output is effectively being live up-mixed and transcoded on the fly, from the TOSLINK.

Good, bad, or no discernible difference?
Since it's a lossy codec, it should be worse. Though maybe not worth turning off cause of the hassle of changing your settings back and forth depending on what you play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenmunky View Post
So I recently did a fresh install on my PC and followed this guide like I usually do however now it is only decoding DTS audio streams instead of DTS-HD MA streams. What am I doing wrong? Pin info is showing DTS 48000Hz 6ch 1536kbps
and also the same on my reciever. Before I did a fresh windows install I never used to have this problem it just used to show DTS HD MA.
Idk, you need the extra dll to decode it on the cpu. The dll requires the 32 bit version of the player. That's usually it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock Gaignun View Post
Still worth using the reclock? I have a 120hz monitor, along with a gtx970, speakers 2.0, it is still necessary to use the reclock?
One of the requirements for reclock to work well is that the refresh rate has to be close to a multiple of the frame rate. So it's only useful at refresh rates like 120hz, 144hz and 24hz (assuming 23.976 fps video). At 60 hz, reclock wouldn't work, the discrepancy between fps and refresh rate is too large. On the other hand, smooth motion wouldn't work by default at 120hz, the discrepancy is too small between it and 119.88hz (5x 23.976), and it is meant to fix large differences I think.
incidentflux likes this.
post #3288 of 3298 Old 01-22-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post
Since it's a lossy codec, it should be worse. Though maybe not worth turning off cause of the hassle of changing your settings back and forth depending on what you play.
I'm listening to 2 channel music through optical TOSLINK at 16 Bit 48,000Hz (minor up-sampling), letting the Yamaha RX-A840 do the upmix (or not, depends). Movies or TV are through the Intel HD 4600 via HDMI.

Last edited by incidentflux; 01-22-2015 at 06:01 PM.
post #3289 of 3298 Old 01-22-2015, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Stumbled onto this guide and managed to get madVR working. Great to have movies play at proper fps now. One problem: a few movies (ie Batman Begins, Flatland) lock the computer up when rendered under madVR. My display changes to the right frame rate, but then MPC HC locks up and cannot be closed, and the entire screen remains black except for the Windows task bar. Is this a known issue? Both movies play at frame rates that work properly in other films.

These movies work if I open MPC HC in windowed mode and go full screen afterward, but do not work when launching into fullscreen by default.

Fixed by disabling fullscreen exclusive mode. Works really nicely now, and haven't noticed any performance hits without FSE (on an A10-5800K).

Last edited by jzkarap; 01-22-2015 at 07:58 PM.
post #3290 of 3298 Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One of the requirements for reclock to work well is that the refresh rate has to be close to a multiple of the frame rate. So it's only useful at refresh rates like 120hz, 144hz and 24hz (assuming 23.976 fps video). At 60 hz, reclock wouldn't work, the discrepancy between fps and refresh rate is too large. On the other hand, smooth motion wouldn't work by default at 120hz, the discrepancy is too small between it and 119.88hz (5x 23.976), and it is meant to fix large differences I think.
no SM works always. it even fixes very small clock issues.
you can even use it to play 23p at 24p. I can recommend this at all but it works.
post #3291 of 3298 Old 01-23-2015, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by incidentflux View Post
I'm listening to 2 channel music through optical TOSLINK at 16 Bit 48,000Hz (minor up-sampling), letting the Yamaha RX-A840 do the upmix (or not, depends). Movies or TV are through the Intel HD 4600 via HDMI.
yea, i don't see the point of encoding to dts. It is a lossy codec, so you are basically losing quality when you convert to dts from pcm. For 5.1 flac or something like that over spdif, it is good because normally 5.1 can't be transmitted over spdif without converting to dts or dolby digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
no SM works always. it even fixes very small clock issues.
you can even use it to play 23p at 24p. I can recommend this at all but it works.
ok, i wasn't sure about that. The default option is "..only if there is judder without it" and it seems to make it work only if the difference is large, like more than 1 fps.
post #3292 of 3298 Old 01-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
ok, i wasn't sure about that. The default option is "..only if there is judder without it" and it seems to make it work only if the difference is large, like more than 1 fps.
there is a good reason for this. force SM set your refresh rate to 25 hz and play a 23p file.
post #3293 of 3298 Old 01-24-2015, 05:08 AM

Liked: 12
I have followed the advise in the guide, but now the audio is out of sync. I have a frame drop every 2-4 minutes. According to GPUZ the gpu is not maxed out, nor the memory of the Intel IGP HD3000. No ReClock, but bit streaming. What can the reason be/what to do about it?

I am also getting a lot of green screens, when I make the player go fullscreen. I thought I had it figured to some scaling options and working in 24p, but it still appears with source files in 25p and 29p thou windows lists these modes as compatible.

Last edited by Schroinx; 01-24-2015 at 01:07 PM.
post #3294 of 3298 Old Today, 11:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Malcolmcal Send a message via Skype™ to Malcolmcal
Thumbs up Awesome site Tons of information

Wow, I haven't been keeping up with all the new technology. (When did we get buttons on our phones instead of the rotary dialers? <--- A joke of course, but my cheap "burner" phone has 200,000 times the processing power and 100,000 times the storage!) Seriously though a very informative article, and I look forward to many more. I'm a little behind the times, still running Dolby pro logic! I was always fascinated how the pro-logic circuit worked (truly someone used K.I.S.S. when they came up with that system!) I actually built a rear channel decoder to use in my car at the Drive Inn theater. Who remembers those! It was so simple just a couple of op-amps working as a differential amplifier, a few resistors a cap or two, and that was it. The most expensive part was the little metal case I put it in! Now we've got 5.1 7.1, and what's this 11.2! atmos auro3d dts-uhd.. and it looks like quite a few other. I was just getting ready to replace my wonderful unit. I was thinking of 5.1, but wanted to see how the 7.1's had come along, so I came here, and this is what I found! Now instead of answers, I have more questions. I'm sure that I'll find many new answers here, once again thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cerwin vega dx-9.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	504025  
post #3295 of 3298 Old Today, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolmcal View Post
Wow, I haven't been keeping up with all the new technology. (When did we get buttons on our phones instead of the rotary dialers? <--- A joke of course, but my cheap "burner" phone has 200,000 times the processing power and 100,000 times the storage!) Seriously though a very informative article, and I look forward to many more. I'm a little behind the times, still running Dolby pro logic! I was always fascinated how the pro-logic circuit worked (truly someone used K.I.S.S. when they came up with that system!) I actually built a rear channel decoder to use in my car at the Drive Inn theater. Who remembers those! It was so simple just a couple of op-amps working as a differential amplifier, a few resistors a cap or two, and that was it. The most expensive part was the little metal case I put it in! Now we've got 5.1 7.1, and what's this 11.2! atmos auro3d dts-uhd.. and it looks like quite a few other. I was just getting ready to replace my wonderful unit. I was thinking of 5.1, but wanted to see how the 7.1's had come along, so I came here, and this is what I found! Now instead of answers, I have more questions. I'm sure that I'll find many new answers here, once again thank you!
Sorry this got posted in the wrong place, I meant to post it in the new technology section, where they were talking about the Dolby Atmos and the Auro3d etc. After I registered it brought me back here, and I didn't realize until after I had posted. (A lot of good info here too by the way! I love that audiophile HTC by Assasin! A little out of my price range though I do have a quad coreAmd machine with 8gb of Ram 7TB of storage and Win 7 pro, so it's a start. I'm looking forward to playing around with all the cool tools and other software that I downloaded. I suspect that I'm going to have to buy a video card ASAP since I'm still using onboard video (Please don't laugh, or kick me out! Actually go ahead and laugh!) I do have a dual tuner that works great with WMC. Say what you will about microsoft but WMC was the simplest "Dummy" oriented HT program I've ever seen. Much better than the garbage that came with my capture/tuner card. (I didn't even know about WMC, until I had to fix a clients xp media edition machine! I couldn't wait to leave and rush home to see if my win 7 machine would have it, and if it would really perform as advertised!) And it did! beyond all expectations! MPC-Hc, Dts-hd,madvr, and some of the other stuff on here are going to keep me busy for a while! IS the Arcsoft tmt software you mention available on their website? and is there a trial version? Thanks!
post #3296 of 3298 Old Today, 12:36 PM

Bonehead maneuver, can you fix?

Gosh (What I'm saying in my head is much worse!) I certainly didn't mean to double post in the wrong place!
Ah ha I see I quoted myself, still a bonehead maneuver, sorry!
post #3297 of 3298 Unread Today, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroinx View Post
I have followed the advise in the guide, but now the audio is out of sync. I have a frame drop every 2-4 minutes. According to GPUZ the gpu is not maxed out, nor the memory of the Intel IGP HD3000. No ReClock, but bit streaming. What can the reason be/what to do about it?

I am also getting a lot of green screens, when I make the player go fullscreen. I thought I had it figured to some scaling options and working in 24p, but it still appears with source files in 25p and 29p thou windows lists these modes as compatible.
old intel GPU can't do proper 23p (24000/1001). it's a know bug. reclock should be able to fix this.
I don't known what's happing with your green screen.
post #3298 of 3298 Unread Today, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

@Malcolmcal

try edit -> delete

this post may disappear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers