Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 114 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
post #3391 of 3407 Old 04-24-2015, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
you just don't have to decode the stream on your PC that's it. but you lose volume control on your PC.
Thank you, one last question. On the dynamic range compression what does the 1% - 100% option actually mean? Default is 100% and that's where I leave it at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3407 Old 04-25-2015, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdsnapBryan View Post
Thank you, one last question. On the dynamic range compression what does the 1% - 100% option actually mean? Default is 100% and that's where I leave it at.
i know what DRC is but i don't know where you got that option from.
post #3393 of 3407 Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I am having an issue with dropped frames on both video (29 and 30fps) and 23.976 MKV blu ray playback. Mostly 1080p (some video is camcorder 1440 x 1080p) and a little 4k / 30p from a newer camcorder. All drops frames, and it is much worse in fullscreen mode. I have recently installed the 64 bit version of LAV, MPC-HC, and madVR. I have a core i7 at 4.5 ghz overclocked and GTX 980.

I have madVr set to use NNedi3 16 neurons chroma upscaling, 32 neurons Luma doubling, Jinc 8 taps AR / LL image upscaling, and Lanczos 8 taps downscaling. Outputting to a Dell 2560x1600 30" monitor.

Some of the vids drop a LOT of frames.. 20-30 per second(even though it tells me it should drop one ever 20 seconds or so). My cpu utilization is around 17-20% for MPC. Software renderer selected in LAV.

Messing with most of the settings I just mentioned, including using the minimum Neurons, or moving to the "lower" tier of options in each field, did not seem to reduce the dropped frames. Smooth motion on or off also did not seem to fix anything.

Last edited by hifiaudio2; 04-27-2015 at 07:57 AM.
post #3394 of 3407 Old 04-27-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
I am having an issue with dropped frames on both video (29 and 30fps) and 23.976 MKV blu ray playback. Mostly 1080p (some video is camcorder 1440 x 1080p) and a little 4k / 30p from a newer camcorder. All drops frames, and it is much worse in fullscreen mode. I have recently installed the 64 bit version of LAV, MPC-HC, and madVR. I have a core i7 at 4.5 ghz overclocked and GTX 980.

I have madVr set to use NNedi3 16 neurons chroma upscaling, 32 neurons Luma doubling, Jinc 8 taps AR / LL image upscaling, and Lanczos 8 taps downscaling. Outputting to a Dell 2560x1600 30" monitor.

Some of the vids drop a LOT of frames.. 20-30 per second(even though it tells me it should drop one ever 20 seconds or so). My cpu utilization is around 17-20% for MPC. Software renderer selected in LAV.

Messing with most of the settings I just mentioned, including using the minimum Neurons, or moving to the "lower" tier of options in each field, did not seem to reduce the dropped frames. Smooth motion on or off also did not seem to fix anything.
Are you going over the rendering queue? If so, you need to reduce your settings.
post #3395 of 3407 Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Which readout tells me the rendering queue? But also like I said, reducing the settings a great deal, turning off luma doubling, moving down to Jinc, etc, did not result in less dropped frames. And my HTPC horsepower should be more than sufficient for what I was trying, let alone the reduced settings. Is there another possibility for settings that affect the drops?
post #3396 of 3407 Old 04-27-2015, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

do you have a sample from your camcorder?
can you make a screen from the OSD?

and why would someone use something terrible like jinc 8?
post #3397 of 3407 Old 04-28-2015, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
if i have multiple clips of 4k content recorded from a videocam, how can i play all the clips seamlessly without any pause (black out) in between? thanks.
post #3398 of 3407 Old 04-30-2015, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No Video just Audio on some MKVs

Hi,

I followed this guide and it works great most of the time.
For some reason I get only audio and no video on some MKV files, any ideas why?
Should the internal filters of MPC-HC be all disabled?

Thanks
post #3399 of 3407 Old 05-01-2015, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 86
For those who DO NOT bitstream and prefer audio to be decoded in the PC, there is now no need for the dtsdecoderdll.dll to decode DTS-HD audio streams. LAV Audio filters are now capable of decoding DTS-HD streams.
post #3400 of 3407 Old 05-07-2015, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I doubt that MPC-HC, MadVR or the XYsubfilter had anything to do with what happened to the OS. I should have just let it sit and eventually sort out whatever problem it was having before I shut it down. I'm guessing some OS file got irreparable corrupted when I did that. But on the off chance... has anybody ever seen these apps cause the kind of meltdown I describe below?

The sad, sad story...

I was watching a Blu-Ray movie with MPC-HC. About 2/3rd of the way thru we got up to take a break and when we unpaused the movie, it played for a second or two and then froze. Then MPC-HC eventually seemed to lock up.

Eventually I decided to reboot the PC. It got hung up. I let it sit for about 10 minutes on the windows 7 "shutting down" screen then hit the reset switch.

After the reboot and login page, the only thing I can see on the desktop is the background. No icons. No start menu, etc. The screen does not react to right clicks with the mouse (I can see the pointer) or to keyboard commands, including CTRL-ALT-DEL.

I tried repairing and also restoring Windows 7, but it either didn't find anything to repair, or else errored out with "unspecified error" on the system restore. It was a new OS install, so there were not many restore points to choose from.

I've started reinstalling the OS and applying the 200 some odd windows updates.

Before the crash, the PC appeared to have no problems. But it was a new build. I've had most of the hardware for years, only the SSD is new. This was the second movie we watched, and up to this point they looked/sounded perfect. The only other software I'd installed on the box was AnyDVDHD and also their virtual drive.

Please pray for peace.

Last edited by cgmoore; 05-07-2015 at 05:27 AM.
post #3401 of 3407 Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Im IT in my company and same thing huppened to an employee so i went and w8ted some mins and i restarted it with the same symptoms as you and i rolled back 1 day the whole pc (everything has daily backup 1 week back).
The point is that i searched in the sbs server that this pc received that day windows updates and finally i assumed it was stacked in shutdown unable to perform the update and when i force close it i destroyed the registry.
A pc in my mind can do this for not many reasons, one is what i described above, a second is virus\trojan, a defected disk or a hardware failure in ram or mb that leads to bad writes.
If you are sure you wasn't on update when you closed it then be sure nothing is wrong in bios settings or overclocked hard etc.
post #3402 of 3407 Old 05-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

I don't believe it was updating anything but who knows. Nothing is OC'd and the hardware has been stable for a long time (except the ssd is new).

I've reinstalled the OS and we'll see what happens. I never got around to making a recovery disk since I'd only just reinstalled the OS on the new ssd. I'll do that right off the bat this time, maybe it will be able to repair from that if it happens again.

Please pray for peace.
post #3403 of 3407 Old 05-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Sounds like a corrupt OS file or a process that that was sucking up all the RAM. If it happens again, try getting into the task manager to see what's running and if anything obvious is consuming all the resources (I know you said the keyboard and mouse were mostly unresponsive). If you hadn't started overwriting the OS, you might be able to tell from the event viewer, but that can be a rabbit hole. If you can make a disk image to a backup disk after everything is up and running, that can make a clean install pretty easy.
post #3404 of 3407 Old 05-08-2015, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Sounds like a corrupt OS file or a process that that was sucking up all the RAM. If it happens again, try getting into the task manager to see what's running and if anything obvious is consuming all the resources (I know you said the keyboard and mouse were mostly unresponsive). If you hadn't started overwriting the OS, you might be able to tell from the event viewer, but that can be a rabbit hole. If you can make a disk image to a backup disk after everything is up and running, that can make a clean install pretty easy.
Yeah, after I got the OS more or less up to date with the gazillion OS patches that have come out (why no SP2, M$?) I made a disk image backup.

Now that I've done that it will never happen again, right, lol?

Please pray for peace.
post #3405 of 3407 Unread Today, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm about to get a HTPC, just wondering what processor and / or Graphics card is the minimum necessary to run Madvr at the highest and best level?

I'm seeing lots of contradictory opinions around the forum. Ability to upscale to 4k would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #3406 of 3407 Unread Today, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm about to get a HTPC, just wondering what processor and / or Graphics card is the minimum necessary to run Madvr at the highest and best level?

I'm seeing lots of contradictory opinions around the forum. Ability to upscale to 4k would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #3407 of 3407 Unread Today, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

there is no highest or maximum.
with the "right" settings you can kill a titan x.
madVR doesn't really care about the processor.
for 4k i would get a gtx 960.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page