Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 115 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #3421 of 3449 Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
this screen is from a paused video can you make one from running?

the render times are not the issue on this screen. maybe the CPU can't decode the video fast enough by i don't see a reason this CPU can't handle it.
Here's another one running fullscreen in 4k (sorry for the size).

I have tried to play a bit with madVR settings but nothing changed, in fullscreen is always stuttering.

EDIT; I was wondering if the culprit is MPC 64bit?

Last edited by yukinok25; 05-26-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3449 Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 AM

After playing around with madVR setting for hours I found finally the culprit.

At 4K resolution I cannot set "image upscaling" on "jinc" otherwise I get lag, switching to "Lanzcos" solved the problem but at cost of quality.

At this point, its better keep jincs on at 1080p resolution, much better compromise.

Thanks all for your help anyway, I'll be playing around again with madVR until I will be satisfied with the image quality. :P
post #3423 of 3449 Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by devoz View Post
Hi
I am helping a friend setup a new Braswell i5 NUC
see here
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=30884

so it has the Intel 6000 graphics
and Windows 8.1 64bit
its going to an Onkyo AV NR609 receiver and then 1080p Sony TV.

We wont be using MadVR to start with ..just EVP custom

So if I just install the 64 bit of MPHC
and Xy-Subfilter for subs..that should work fine?

I am used to 32bit ones..but I assume the 64 bit installer are best now?(no more issues)

Also the download of the MPHC installer may not include the latest versions of LAV filters? correct?

Would the Intel 6000 ..if we decide to use MadVR...allow Jinc 3 with anti-ringing filter for upscaling?
or is it best to stick with DXVA2 ?
or even default?
ie for DVDs ..720p mkvs...(and of course 1080p blu-ray..but that doesnt involve upscaling)
Hmm..I have solved and resolved all issues..has MPHC...MadVR
and going great..via displayport with 7.1 sound and 1080p
post #3424 of 3449 Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukinok25 View Post
I was wondering if the culprit is MPC 64bit?
Yes, madVR not supported on MPC-HC 64bit. Uninstall 64bit then after reinstalling with 32bit, install madVR, make the display adjustments according to this guide and leave all other settings at its default state.

Quote:
After playing around with madVR setting for hours I found finally the culprit.

At 4K resolution I cannot set "image upscaling" on "jinc" otherwise I get lag, switching to "Lanzcos" solved the problem but at cost of quality.

At this point, its better keep jincs on at 1080p resolution, much better compromise.

Thanks all for your help anyway, I'll be playing around again with madVR until I will be satisfied with the image quality. :P
I see that your video source was 1080p and not 4k as I originally assumed. I might be wrong, however, I really do not think that madVR can do anything to improve image quality with 1080p full bitrate movies/shows. As far as up-scaling an image from 1080p to 4k I just don't know what benefit madVR has there. Like I said, I only use madVR to adjust the display to 24Hz for movies. All my movies are 1080p full bitrate. I don't bother with DVDs anymore (I didn't pay big money on a home theater to watch low resolution, low quality content).

Again, from my experience and from what I've been told, madVR works properly at its default setting (you'll still need to input display resolutions supported) without a hit in quality for Blu Ray. DVD and Cable/OTA is a different story.
yukinok25 likes this.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #3425 of 3449 Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Yes, madVR not supported on MPC-HC 64bit. Uninstall 64bit then after reinstalling with 32bit, install madVR, make the display adjustments according to this guide and leave all other settings at its default state.
there is a 64 bit version of madVR for quiet some time now.

Quote:
I see that your video source was 1080p and not 4k as I originally assumed. I might be wrong, however, I really do not think that madVR can do anything to improve image quality with 1080p full bitrate movies/shows. As far as up-scaling an image from 1080p to 4k I just don't know what benefit madVR has there. Like I said, I only use madVR to adjust the display to 24Hz for movies. All my movies are 1080p full bitrate. I don't bother with DVDs anymore (I didn't pay big money on a home theater to watch low resolution, low quality content).

Again, from my experience and from what I've been told, madVR works properly at its default setting (you'll still need to input display resolutions supported) without a hit in quality for Blu Ray. DVD and Cable/OTA is a different story.
correct color, proper YCbCr -> RGB conversation, dithering, IVTC and a lot more.
and yes BD need things like this too.
mpc-hc can change the refresh rate too and doesn't need madVR for this.
yukinok25 likes this.
post #3426 of 3449 Old 05-26-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
there is a 64 bit version of madVR for quiet some time now.

correct color, proper YCbCr -> RGB conversation, dithering, IVTC and a lot more.
and yes BD need things like this too.
mpc-hc can change the refresh rate too and doesn't need madVR for this.
I don't see a 64 bit version on their download site. Could you provide the link?

YCbCR RGB conversation isn't necessary on modern TVs As far is I've read.

MPC-HC cannot change refresh rate. I've tried it on multiple rigs and panels. Doesn't work. If you have a secret please share.

Also, madVR at its "default" settings is satisfactory for BD playback. IIRC there is nothing to change to get better PQ and/or performance.

I'm not only speaking from experience but IIRC you have agreed with these statements in the past.
yukinok25 likes this.
post #3427 of 3449 Old 05-26-2015, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't see a 64 bit version on their download site. Could you provide the link?
there are no two downloads. if you install madVR both version are installed by default.

just have a look at the change log:

Quote:
madVR v0.87.20

* added x64 build
* fixed: short playback freeze, then catch up, at runtime start

Quote:
YCbCR RGB conversation isn't necessary on modern TVs As far is I've read.
and how do you get the YCbCr untouched to the screen using a PC? you end up with RGB at one point so doesn't matter what your TV can do.
and 1080p 4:2:0 is not part of the HDMI spec so you have to scale to 4:2:2 at least even with a BD player.
Quote:
MPC-HC cannot change refresh rate. I've tried it on multiple rigs and panels. Doesn't work. If you have a secret please share.
the playback -> fullscreen options work totally fine for me. i highly prefer madVR settings but they work too.
Quote:
Also, madVR at its "default" settings is satisfactory for BD playback. IIRC there is nothing to change to get better PQ and/or performance.

I'm not only speaking from experience but IIRC you have agreed with these statements in the past.
defaults are fine no question.
post #3428 of 3449 Old 05-26-2015, 07:17 PM

Thanks all for your help and suggestions, love this forum so far!

Yes all my movie's are 1080p, I wanted to watched them in 4K resolution, as I noticed that the colours looks more vivid than just 1080p resolution.

My MPC was set by default to use the igpu Intel instead of my 970M GTX and I couldn't change it in the nvidia control panel.
Just found out yesterday how to do it. That probably was the reason why my movie was stuttering?

I'll try out today this tweak and report.
post #3429 of 3449 Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
there are no two downloads. if you install madVR both version are installed by default. just have a look at the change log:
Oh I see... thought it was a different executable.

Quote:
and how do you get the YCbCr untouched to the screen using a PC? you end up with RGB at one point so doesn't matter what your TV can do.
and 1080p 4:2:0 is not part of the HDMI spec so you have to scale to 4:2:2 at least even with a BD player.
This doesn't make sense to me. Can I not just tell my GPU to do YCbCR? In any event, I have seen no difference either with YCbCr or RGB with my display (with or without madVR).

Quote:
the playback -> fullscreen options work totally fine for me. i highly prefer madVR settings but they work too.
It hasn't worked for me in the past. I'll look into it again next time I update MPC-HC and have to reload madVR. So far though madVR works great in this regard.

Quote:
Thanks all for your help and suggestions, love this forum so far!

Yes all my movie's are 1080p, I wanted to watched them in 4K resolution, as I noticed that the colours looks more vivid than just 1080p resolution.

My MPC was set by default to use the igpu Intel instead of my 970M GTX and I couldn't change it in the nvidia control panel.
Just found out yesterday how to do it. That probably was the reason why my movie was stuttering?

I'll try out today this tweak and report.
You should definitely try using the GTX 970M to find out if that is the case. Since you are using a laptop one thing to check is the power saving option. I had a friend (who has an Asus laptop) complain the other day that his laptop wasn't playing back an HEVC re-encoded blu ray movie without stuttering. I told him that seems impossible considering he has a haswell i5... needless to say, Asus has a power plan that was set to a conservative mode even while plugged in. I wasn't able to change it by entering the "power options" either. I had to open the Asus software (cannot remember the exact name... something power or gear or something like that) and switch the power plan to high performance. I think it was throttling his CPU to like 10%.
yukinok25 likes this.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #3430 of 3449 Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
You should definitely try using the GTX 970M to find out if that is the case. Since you are using a laptop one thing to check is the power saving option. I had a friend (who has an Asus laptop) complain the other day that his laptop wasn't playing back an HEVC re-encoded blu ray movie without stuttering. I told him that seems impossible considering he has a haswell i5... needless to say, Asus has a power plan that was set to a conservative mode even while plugged in. I wasn't able to change it by entering the "power options" either. I had to open the Asus software (cannot remember the exact name... something power or gear or something like that) and switch the power plan to high performance. I think it was throttling his CPU to like 10%.
Got it! By force MPC to use my 970M everything running super smooth now, and what an amazing quality! Took me hours but finally super satisfied.
post #3431 of 3449 Old 05-27-2015, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me. Can I not just tell my GPU to do YCbCR?
you can tell it to output YCbCr. but this is just YCbCr down converted from RGB the hole desktop and stuff work in RGB.
Quote:
In any event, I have seen no difference either with YCbCr or RGB with my display (with or without madVR).
i don't know who your TV handles RGB inputs and how picky you are about this
post #3432 of 3449 Old 05-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there any benefit to using the 64bit version of madVR over the 32bit version? I don't use re-clock.

Also, can you upgrade MPC-HC to 64bit or is it uninstall 32bit and install 64bit type of process?
post #3433 of 3449 Old 05-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post
Is there any benefit to using the 64bit version of madVR over the 32bit version? I don't use re-clock.

Also, can you upgrade MPC-HC to 64bit or is it uninstall 32bit and install 64bit type of process?
you cna install both player at the same time. i guess they share settings.

x64 is a lot faster in software video decoding. about 10-15% for h264 and up to 100% for HEVC
yukinok25 likes this.
post #3434 of 3449 Old 05-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
you cna install both player at the same time. i guess they share settings.

x64 is a lot faster in software video decoding. about 10-15% for h264 and up to 100% for HEVC
Sounds like the performance increase is worth it. Thanks!
post #3435 of 3449 Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

I just formatted W7 64 due to a strange reboot freeze showing what looked to be a string of encryption text on the CD ROM black screen, following an attempt to program update COMODO. The format went OK and I can reboot fine now.

I have the same 32 bit 1.7.8 build of MPC-HC I was using before. I had also used this guide and tried all the MadVR settings. I stopped at Reclock since I didn't want it.

I don't recall if I USED all the settings shown for MadVR before, but now I'm getting MPC-HC disabling CCC's overscan settings whenever I put it in fullscreen mode. I can minimize MPC-HC then launch CCC and stretch overscan back out to fill the screen, but it's a hassle. I'm also using the same Cat 14.12 Omega driver I was before the format.

Does anyone know what is causing this or how to fix it? Could it be one of the MadVR settings shown in this guide? I can't think of any different settings I'm using in W7, CCC, or MPC-HC.

Last edited by Hi Def Fan; Yesterday at 12:56 PM.
post #3436 of 3449 Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

you need to set the overscan manual for all refresh rate. amd nothing you can do about...

i guess it is switching refreshrates.
post #3437 of 3449 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

Does anyone know what is causing this or how to fix it?
Refresh rate switch? It the player switches to 24Hz, you have to set the overscan separately for that mode.
post #3438 of 3449 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

Quote:
you need to set the overscan manual for all refresh rate. amd nothing you can do about...

i guess it is switching refreshrates.
Oh, I see, I thought it might have been for each file type, becasue I notice I only had to do it for a couple vids I watched last night, but today one of the ones I watched last night played fine fullscreen without the overscan reset.

As far as I know the vids were all 720p, though I suppose one could have been encoded a bit different on frames.

I did however look in CCC settings today and tried switching from "Maintain aspect ratio" to "Scale image to full panel size".

Maybe that wil work better for keeping full screen in HPC-HC. Even if I still have to do the overscan thing for each refresh though, it appears just a one time thing for each one.
post #3439 of 3449 Old Today, 02:15 AM

I am playing 1080p videos at 4k on my TV without any issues now, but I still have a bit stuttering when I enable smooth motion.

To get rid I need to sync the refresh rate with the TV by writing 2160p30, 2160p29 etcc.. in the madVR settings, but the video eventually will became not as smooth as with the motion on.

What could it be the reason?

Last edited by yukinok25; Today at 02:21 AM.
post #3440 of 3449 Old Today, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I had the same and i have set the resolutions that i want and i use reclock but the last days with latest nvidia drivers even without reclock im ok
yukinok25 likes this.
post #3441 of 3449 Old Today, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
I had the same and i have set the resolutions that i want and i use reclock but the last days with latest nvidia drivers even without reclock im ok
I have tried to install and use reclock, but I still had the the same problem.

What setup do you use for reclock?
post #3442 of 3449 Old Today, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am playing 1080p videos at 4k on my TV without any issues now, but I still have a bit stuttering when I enable smooth motion.

To get rid I need to sync the refresh rate with the TV by writing 2160p30, 2160p29 etcc.. in the madVR settings, but the video eventually will became not as smooth as with the motion on.

What could it be the reason?
make sure smooth motion is only used at 60 hz and that no frame interpolation is used on your screen when smooth motion is active.
yukinok25 likes this.
post #3443 of 3449 Old Today, 03:48 AM

Quote:
make sure smooth motion is only used at 60 hz and that no frame interpolation is used on your screen when smooth motion is active.
That is why then, I am using my TV at 4k@30hz...

Any change to make it run appropriately at 30hz?

I'll try with 60hz to see if gets better, thanks again mightyhuhn

EDIT: sorry, where can I check if I am using frame interpolation?

Last edited by yukinok25; Today at 03:53 AM.
post #3444 of 3449 Old Today, 10:39 AM

M8 all the movies are at 23hz so either you set the nvidia at 23 or in madvr you put the 2160p23.... everything else makes your nvidia and your player to make extra frames with no gain what so ever.
post #3445 of 3449 Old Today, 10:50 AM

I am on AMD (7970) and I use smooth motion too. It removes the consoistent micro judder effect from camera panning, but every now and then instead of that I'll see a noticeable jump in movement.

Going to try setting it to use smooth motion only on 60Hz as suggested, but without Reclock, I'm not sure if I should even try using smooth motion. tried using Reclock before and it didn't go well, so I really don't want to use it.

Just to be clear, is not the 60Hz lock in smooth motion the "...or if the display refresh rate is an exact mutiple of the movie frame rate" setting?

Last edited by Hi Def Fan; Today at 10:55 AM.
post #3446 of 3449 Old Today, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
M8 all the movies are at 23hz so either you set the nvidia at 23 or in madvr you put the 2160p23.... everything else makes your nvidia and your player to make extra frames with no gain what so ever.
read about smooth motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post
I am on AMD (7970) and I use smooth motion too. It removes the consoistent micro judder effect from camera panning, but every now and then instead of that I'll see a noticeable jump in movement.

Going to try setting it to use smooth motion only on 60Hz as suggested, but without Reclock, I'm not sure if I should even try using smooth motion. tried using Reclock before and it didn't go well, so I really don't want to use it.

Just to be clear, is not the 60Hz lock in smooth motion the "...or if the display refresh rate is an exact mutiple of the movie frame rate" setting?
reclock is useless with smoothmotion. if you get a repeated or dropped frame with smooth motion either your source has an error or soemthing goes wrong when rendering.

and what do you understand as 60hz lock?
post #3447 of 3449 Old Today, 11:56 AM

I know but and i tried it but doesn't seem better than what my lg does when i enable truemotion....but yeah i will try it again if i fix a sudden problem that i have lately which is that i cannot get 4k 60p from my nvidia 970 to tv. ... i had did an EDID DLOAD in service menu of my lg and after that the 60hz option disappeared. ...no clue how to fix it and I'm stuck at max 30hz...
Normally i have the tv at 4k 50p because everything is controlled by kodi including pvr (that's why the 50hz to much the fta and satellite hz) and all are upscaled in there except the mkv or avi etc that launched automatically from mpchc with madvr
post #3448 of 3449 Old Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

What should RGB Output levels (for YUV -> RGB conversion) be set at?

I have had it set to PC (0-255) with no problem but am wondering if I should have it set to Untouched (as input)?

What is the difference between the two?

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #3449 of 3449 Old Today, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What should RGB Output levels (for YUV -> RGB conversion) be set at?

I have had it set to PC (0-255) with no problem but am wondering if I should have it set to Untouched (as input)?

What is the difference between the two?
it's not used with madVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers