Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 115 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 42Likes
post #3421 of 3434 Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
this screen is from a paused video can you make one from running?

the render times are not the issue on this screen. maybe the CPU can't decode the video fast enough by i don't see a reason this CPU can't handle it.
Here's another one running fullscreen in 4k (sorry for the size).

I have tried to play a bit with madVR settings but nothing changed, in fullscreen is always stuttering.

EDIT; I was wondering if the culprit is MPC 64bit?

Last edited by yukinok25; Yesterday at 12:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3434 Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM

After playing around with madVR setting for hours I found finally the culprit.

At 4K resolution I cannot set "image upscaling" on "jinc" otherwise I get lag, switching to "Lanzcos" solved the problem but at cost of quality.

At this point, its better keep jincs on at 1080p resolution, much better compromise.

Thanks all for your help anyway, I'll be playing around again with madVR until I will be satisfied with the image quality. :P
post #3423 of 3434 Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by devoz View Post
Hi
I am helping a friend setup a new Braswell i5 NUC
see here
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=30884

so it has the Intel 6000 graphics
and Windows 8.1 64bit
its going to an Onkyo AV NR609 receiver and then 1080p Sony TV.

We wont be using MadVR to start with ..just EVP custom

So if I just install the 64 bit of MPHC
and Xy-Subfilter for subs..that should work fine?

I am used to 32bit ones..but I assume the 64 bit installer are best now?(no more issues)

Also the download of the MPHC installer may not include the latest versions of LAV filters? correct?

Would the Intel 6000 ..if we decide to use MadVR...allow Jinc 3 with anti-ringing filter for upscaling?
or is it best to stick with DXVA2 ?
or even default?
ie for DVDs ..720p mkvs...(and of course 1080p blu-ray..but that doesnt involve upscaling)
Hmm..I have solved and resolved all issues..has MPHC...MadVR
and going great..via displayport with 7.1 sound and 1080p
post #3424 of 3434 Unread Yesterday, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukinok25 View Post
I was wondering if the culprit is MPC 64bit?
Yes, madVR not supported on MPC-HC 64bit. Uninstall 64bit then after reinstalling with 32bit, install madVR, make the display adjustments according to this guide and leave all other settings at its default state.

Quote:
After playing around with madVR setting for hours I found finally the culprit.

At 4K resolution I cannot set "image upscaling" on "jinc" otherwise I get lag, switching to "Lanzcos" solved the problem but at cost of quality.

At this point, its better keep jincs on at 1080p resolution, much better compromise.

Thanks all for your help anyway, I'll be playing around again with madVR until I will be satisfied with the image quality. :P
I see that your video source was 1080p and not 4k as I originally assumed. I might be wrong, however, I really do not think that madVR can do anything to improve image quality with 1080p full bitrate movies/shows. As far as up-scaling an image from 1080p to 4k I just don't know what benefit madVR has there. Like I said, I only use madVR to adjust the display to 24Hz for movies. All my movies are 1080p full bitrate. I don't bother with DVDs anymore (I didn't pay big money on a home theater to watch low resolution, low quality content).

Again, from my experience and from what I've been told, madVR works properly at its default setting (you'll still need to input display resolutions supported) without a hit in quality for Blu Ray. DVD and Cable/OTA is a different story.
yukinok25 likes this.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #3425 of 3434 Unread Yesterday, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Yes, madVR not supported on MPC-HC 64bit. Uninstall 64bit then after reinstalling with 32bit, install madVR, make the display adjustments according to this guide and leave all other settings at its default state.
there is a 64 bit version of madVR for quiet some time now.

Quote:
I see that your video source was 1080p and not 4k as I originally assumed. I might be wrong, however, I really do not think that madVR can do anything to improve image quality with 1080p full bitrate movies/shows. As far as up-scaling an image from 1080p to 4k I just don't know what benefit madVR has there. Like I said, I only use madVR to adjust the display to 24Hz for movies. All my movies are 1080p full bitrate. I don't bother with DVDs anymore (I didn't pay big money on a home theater to watch low resolution, low quality content).

Again, from my experience and from what I've been told, madVR works properly at its default setting (you'll still need to input display resolutions supported) without a hit in quality for Blu Ray. DVD and Cable/OTA is a different story.
correct color, proper YCbCr -> RGB conversation, dithering, IVTC and a lot more.
and yes BD need things like this too.
mpc-hc can change the refresh rate too and doesn't need madVR for this.
yukinok25 likes this.
post #3426 of 3434 Unread Yesterday, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
there is a 64 bit version of madVR for quiet some time now.

correct color, proper YCbCr -> RGB conversation, dithering, IVTC and a lot more.
and yes BD need things like this too.
mpc-hc can change the refresh rate too and doesn't need madVR for this.
I don't see a 64 bit version on their download site. Could you provide the link?

YCbCR RGB conversation isn't necessary on modern TVs As far is I've read.

MPC-HC cannot change refresh rate. I've tried it on multiple rigs and panels. Doesn't work. If you have a secret please share.

Also, madVR at its "default" settings is satisfactory for BD playback. IIRC there is nothing to change to get better PQ and/or performance.

I'm not only speaking from experience but IIRC you have agreed with these statements in the past.
yukinok25 likes this.
post #3427 of 3434 Unread Yesterday, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't see a 64 bit version on their download site. Could you provide the link?
there are no two downloads. if you install madVR both version are installed by default.

just have a look at the change log:

Quote:
madVR v0.87.20

* added x64 build
* fixed: short playback freeze, then catch up, at runtime start

Quote:
YCbCR RGB conversation isn't necessary on modern TVs As far is I've read.
and how do you get the YCbCr untouched to the screen using a PC? you end up with RGB at one point so doesn't matter what your TV can do.
and 1080p 4:2:0 is not part of the HDMI spec so you have to scale to 4:2:2 at least even with a BD player.
Quote:
MPC-HC cannot change refresh rate. I've tried it on multiple rigs and panels. Doesn't work. If you have a secret please share.
the playback -> fullscreen options work totally fine for me. i highly prefer madVR settings but they work too.
Quote:
Also, madVR at its "default" settings is satisfactory for BD playback. IIRC there is nothing to change to get better PQ and/or performance.

I'm not only speaking from experience but IIRC you have agreed with these statements in the past.
defaults are fine no question.
post #3428 of 3434 Unread Yesterday, 07:17 PM

Thanks all for your help and suggestions, love this forum so far!

Yes all my movie's are 1080p, I wanted to watched them in 4K resolution, as I noticed that the colours looks more vivid than just 1080p resolution.

My MPC was set by default to use the igpu Intel instead of my 970M GTX and I couldn't change it in the nvidia control panel.
Just found out yesterday how to do it. That probably was the reason why my movie was stuttering?

I'll try out today this tweak and report.
post #3429 of 3434 Unread Yesterday, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
there are no two downloads. if you install madVR both version are installed by default. just have a look at the change log:
Oh I see... thought it was a different executable.

Quote:
and how do you get the YCbCr untouched to the screen using a PC? you end up with RGB at one point so doesn't matter what your TV can do.
and 1080p 4:2:0 is not part of the HDMI spec so you have to scale to 4:2:2 at least even with a BD player.
This doesn't make sense to me. Can I not just tell my GPU to do YCbCR? In any event, I have seen no difference either with YCbCr or RGB with my display (with or without madVR).

Quote:
the playback -> fullscreen options work totally fine for me. i highly prefer madVR settings but they work too.
It hasn't worked for me in the past. I'll look into it again next time I update MPC-HC and have to reload madVR. So far though madVR works great in this regard.

Quote:
Thanks all for your help and suggestions, love this forum so far!

Yes all my movie's are 1080p, I wanted to watched them in 4K resolution, as I noticed that the colours looks more vivid than just 1080p resolution.

My MPC was set by default to use the igpu Intel instead of my 970M GTX and I couldn't change it in the nvidia control panel.
Just found out yesterday how to do it. That probably was the reason why my movie was stuttering?

I'll try out today this tweak and report.
You should definitely try using the GTX 970M to find out if that is the case. Since you are using a laptop one thing to check is the power saving option. I had a friend (who has an Asus laptop) complain the other day that his laptop wasn't playing back an HEVC re-encoded blu ray movie without stuttering. I told him that seems impossible considering he has a haswell i5... needless to say, Asus has a power plan that was set to a conservative mode even while plugged in. I wasn't able to change it by entering the "power options" either. I had to open the Asus software (cannot remember the exact name... something power or gear or something like that) and switch the power plan to high performance. I think it was throttling his CPU to like 10%.
yukinok25 likes this.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #3430 of 3434 Unread Yesterday, 11:53 PM

Quote:
You should definitely try using the GTX 970M to find out if that is the case. Since you are using a laptop one thing to check is the power saving option. I had a friend (who has an Asus laptop) complain the other day that his laptop wasn't playing back an HEVC re-encoded blu ray movie without stuttering. I told him that seems impossible considering he has a haswell i5... needless to say, Asus has a power plan that was set to a conservative mode even while plugged in. I wasn't able to change it by entering the "power options" either. I had to open the Asus software (cannot remember the exact name... something power or gear or something like that) and switch the power plan to high performance. I think it was throttling his CPU to like 10%.
Got it! By force MPC to use my 970M everything running super smooth now, and what an amazing quality! Took me hours but finally super satisfied.
post #3431 of 3434 Unread Today, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me. Can I not just tell my GPU to do YCbCR?
you can tell it to output YCbCr. but this is just YCbCr down converted from RGB the hole desktop and stuff work in RGB.
Quote:
In any event, I have seen no difference either with YCbCr or RGB with my display (with or without madVR).
i don't know who your TV handles RGB inputs and how picky you are about this
post #3432 of 3434 Unread Today, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there any benefit to using the 64bit version of madVR over the 32bit version? I don't use re-clock.

Also, can you upgrade MPC-HC to 64bit or is it uninstall 32bit and install 64bit type of process?
post #3433 of 3434 Unread Today, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post
Is there any benefit to using the 64bit version of madVR over the 32bit version? I don't use re-clock.

Also, can you upgrade MPC-HC to 64bit or is it uninstall 32bit and install 64bit type of process?
you cna install both player at the same time. i guess they share settings.

x64 is a lot faster in software video decoding. about 10-15% for h264 and up to 100% for HEVC
post #3434 of 3434 Unread Today, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
you cna install both player at the same time. i guess they share settings.

x64 is a lot faster in software video decoding. about 10-15% for h264 and up to 100% for HEVC
Sounds like the performance increase is worth it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page