Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 116 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #3451 of 3454 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post
Actually I was hoping YOU could elaborate on that and explain this...
i still don't know what a 60 hz lock is. never heard it this way. what i mean it use 60 Hz with smooth motion.

Quote:
...you never said HOW one can only use 60Hz with smooth motion. Do you mean only list 60Hz as refreshes for your display? I see no settings in smooth motion to use 60Hz only.
by setting windows to 60 HZ and not using display modes. smooth motion it self doesn't do that.

Quote:
As I said above, I have used all the settings suggested in the guide here, but stopped at Reclock. I also listed all the refreshes CCC shows my display can handle (720p60, 720p50, 1080i30, 1080i25, 1080p60, 1080p24, 1080p50).
you shouldn't use any other resolution than the native resolution of your TV. with 720p sources madVR will output 720p to the GPU and the screen has to do the upscale and don't add interlaced modes outputting interlaced images with a PC is dangerous and can easily go wrong. a deinterlacer will automatically trigger with a interlaced source.

your AMD CCC may not list all refresh rates. the most important ones are 23 hz and 59 hz. these refresh rates are alias they are not 23 and 59 they are 24000/1001 and 60000/1001 the default refresh rate of nearly all NTSC content.

is the guide really suggesting 730p resolution for 1080p devices?
Quote:
You also never answered whether "...or if the display refresh rate is an exact mutiple of the movie frame rate" is used to have smooth motion work only at 60Hz. Anyway, that's what I have it set to now.
this settings means: enable smooth motion frame rate conversation only if there would be judder without (so a refresh rate miss match like 23 hz movie at 60 hz) or if the displays refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate (for example 30 hz movie at 60 hz )

so it doesn't trigger with 23 hz at 23hz or 60hz at 60 hz with this setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukinok25 View Post
That is why then, I am using my TV at 4k@30hz...

Any change to make it run appropriately at 30hz?

I'll try with 60hz to see if gets better, thanks again mightyhuhn
never saw an acceptable picture when smooth motion is used at 30 hz.

Quote:
EDIT: sorry, where can I check if I am using frame interpolation?
depends on your screen no clue some where in the option of your screen.
yukinok25 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3454 Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
i still don't know what a 60 hz lock is. never heard it this way. what i mean it use 60 Hz with smooth motion.
Never mind what I said, I was referring to your mention of using only 60Hz for smooth motion. I just used the word lock that's all.
Quote:
by setting windows to 60 HZ and not using display modes. smooth motion it self doesn't do that.
Mine is already set to 60Hz, but the part that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is greyed out. I don't know why, maybe because it's a TV.
Quote:
you shouldn't use any other resolution than the native resolution of your TV. with 720p sources madVR will output 720p to the GPU and the screen has to do the upscale and don't add interlaced modes outputting interlaced images with a PC is dangerous and can easily go wrong. a deinterlacer will automatically trigger with a interlaced source.
I wondered if I should just use 60Hz, and seem to recall only using that before, but the guide is misleading because it says to put in all resolutions supported by the display, which is what I did.

I have since changed the listed refreshes to 720p60Hz and 1080p60Hz, but I don't think the 1080i30Hz would have affected anything anyway, as the only time my display ever goes in that mode is when it's on the TV input.
Quote:
your AMD CCC may not list all refresh rates. the most important ones are 23 hz and 59 hz. these refresh rates are alias they are not 23 and 59 they are 24000/1001 and 60000/1001 the default refresh rate of nearly all NTSC content.
I was wondering that too, whether CCC lists all the modes the display can do, but clearly it lists all the ones I've ever seen in the videos I play, and then some. Since setting up MadVR this time I've yet to see a video I play not be 60Hz.
Quote:
is the guide really suggesting 730p resolution for 1080p devices?
I never said it did, did you mean 720p? it DOES however, as I said before, imply to list any mode your display supports. I find it odd you offer help without even knowing what the guide says. Have you not evern read it? Not complaining about the help, I just think it would help you understand why we say what we do, because obviously most of it is going to be based on what the guide says.
Quote:
...or if the displays refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate (for example 30 hz movie at 60 hz )
That's pretty much what I already said above, which is why I set it to that. But it would never use 30Hz, since as I also said, my TV only uses that Hz if it's on the TV input outputting 1080i. It would only upconvert 30 to 60 like you said. I'm not sure I need to set it to a multiple of 60 PLUS listing only 60Hz for dispaly modes though.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Last edited by Hi Def Fan; Yesterday at 07:02 PM.
post #3453 of 3454 Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
I find it odd you offer help without even knowing what the guide says. Have you not evern read it? Not complaining about the help, I just think it would help you understand why we say what we do, because obviously most of it is going to be based on what the guide says.That's pretty much what I already said above, which is why I set it to that. But it would never use 30Hz, since as I also said, my TV only uses that Hz if it's on the TV input outputting 1080i. It would only upconvert 30 to 60 like you said. I'm not sure I need to set it to a multiple of 60 PLUS listing only 60Hz for dispaly modes though.
I feel your pain.

Read through this link to understand a little more of madVR.

Then post any questions you have regarding madVR in this thread. You'll get the help you need for sure.

Also... this wiki link is full of useful madVR info!

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)

Last edited by jhughy2010; Yesterday at 11:14 PM.
post #3454 of 3454 Old Today, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
I have since changed the listed refreshes to 720p60Hz and 1080p60Hz, but I don't think the 1080i30Hz would have affected anything anyway, as the only time my display ever goes in that mode is when it's on the TV input.I was wondering that too, whether CCC lists all the modes the display can do, but clearly it lists all the ones I've ever seen in the videos I play, and then some. Since setting up MadVR this time I've yet to see a video I play not be 60Hz.I never said it did, did you mean 720p? it DOES however, as I said before, imply to list any mode your display supports. I find it odd you offer help without even knowing what the guide says. Have you not evern read it? Not complaining about the help, I just think it would help you understand why we say what we do, because obviously most of it is going to be based on what the guide says.That's pretty much what I already said above, which is why I set it to that. But it would never use 30Hz, since as I also said, my TV only uses that Hz if it's on the TV input outputting 1080i. It would only upconvert 30 to 60 like you said. I'm not sure I need to set it to a multiple of 60 PLUS listing only 60Hz for dispaly modes though.
i wouldn't dear to try i30 so not sure if madVR is avoid it y default.

the guide only talks about refresh rates/important refresh rates but what is an important refresh rate this is not clear? i see the problem there the only time the word resolution is used is for "right click on your desktop wallpaper and go to screen resolution".

even if the guide would clearly say use 720p60 on a 1080p display i would still say this is wrong.

smooth motion fixes clock issues so it is pretty useful with 30 hz sources at 60 hz.

can you make a screen from the OSD with a cinema movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Also... this wiki link is full of useful madVR info!
where do you found sources like that?

Quote:
How to use Nvidia DSR to resize video to 2715x1527 and higher You can utilize DSR factors with PotPlayer (probably MPC-HC as well but PotPlayer is WAY easier to configure) and force it to resize videos to 2715x1527 before madVR renders the video. This does seem to improve video quality by a noticeable amount. For details on how to do this and some screenshot comparisons check out the page below.
just to make that clear don't do this! x-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page