Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 127 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 118Likes

post #3781 of 4101 Old 12-29-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
So I rolled back to MPC-HC 1.7.9 and upgraded to MadVR 89.x 64 bit. Now, when the playback starts I get audio but no video until I execute a right mouse click. Then the video comes in quite nicely. I have MadVR set to delay going into exclusive mode by 3 seconds and some other settings too. I will post them later if that helps analyze the issue.

Thanks.
Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4101 Old 12-29-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I don't think I touched any of the sharpening filters, but I followed various guides about getting Atmos streaming working and some of them suggested some video settings as well.

I think I should uninstall and reinstall MPC-HC and focus on video quality. Once that is acceptable, I'll revisit Atmos sound...
bit streaming atmos is just 2 click in lavaudio that's all.

Quote:
So I rolled back to MPC-HC 1.7.9 and upgraded to MadVR 89.x 64 bit. Now, when the playback starts I get audio but no video until I execute a right mouse click. Then the video comes in quite nicely. I have MadVR set to delay going into exclusive mode by 3 seconds and some other settings too. I will post them later if that helps analyze the issue.

Thanks.
i can only guess. this is a very unusually "error".

let's try it with a OSD screen (control + J), the full hardware specs and windows including the version if possible.
what type of decoding is used currently?
crimson is pretty buggy in my tests but in the end my HTPC is still "running"
post #3783 of 4101 Old 12-30-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1907
Quote:
I don't think I touched any of the sharpening filters, but I followed various guides about getting Atmos streaming working and some of them suggested some video settings as well.

I think I should uninstall and reinstall MPC-HC and focus on video quality. Once that is acceptable, I'll revisit Atmos sound...
So I uninstalled and reinstalled MPC-HC, selected SW decoding, and I am still getting a very noisy image.

All I am hoping for is to have MPC-HC deliver the same quality off of my laptop that I get when using the bundled Bluray player app (PowerDVD).
post #3784 of 4101 Old 12-30-2015, 02:00 PM
VBB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
So I uninstalled and reinstalled MPC-HC, selected SW decoding, and I am still getting a very noisy image.

All I am hoping for is to have MPC-HC deliver the same quality off of my laptop that I get when using the bundled Bluray player app (PowerDVD).
MPC-HC doesn't apply any kind of denoise or deband filters, not by default anyway. So, what you see is the unprocessed video that has noise in it, like you stated previously. PowerDVD probably applies some kind of smoothing. You can try the debanding feature in madVR.

Henry
Vizio M70-C3, Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Synology DS1813+ & DX513 x2
X-Rite i1Display Pro, ArgyllCMS, DisplayCAL, madVR, HCFR
HTPC running Kodi with MPC-HC + madVR, Plex for remote streaming
post #3785 of 4101 Old 12-30-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
MPC-HC doesn't apply any kind of denoise or deband filters, not by default anyway. So, what you see is the unprocessed video that has noise in it, like you stated previously. PowerDVD probably applies some kind of smoothing. You can try the debanding feature in madVR.
OK - thanks. I should have thought of thus earlier, but just confirmed that PowerDVD will play MKVs.

It's obviously only a 'click and play' solution and no doubt lack many/most of the features offered by MPC-HC (and plus it is not free), but what are the main advantages of using MPC-HC to play Bluray MKV rips versus PowerDVD?
post #3786 of 4101 Old 12-30-2015, 05:02 PM
VBB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK - thanks. I should have thought of thus earlier, but just confirmed that PowerDVD will play MKVs.

It's obviously only a 'click and play' solution and no doubt lack many/most of the features offered by MPC-HC (and plus it is not free), but what are the main advantages of using MPC-HC to play Bluray MKV rips versus PowerDVD?
The main advantage of MPC-HC is that you can use madVR as the renderer. MPC-HC is also actively developed and highly customizable. But at the end of the day it still is "only" the player. The real magic happens when you let madVR upscale and refine. On your laptop, it's probably best just to stick with PowerDVD. You'll need a beefy video card to really take advantage.

Henry
Onkyo HT-RC360
post #3787 of 4101 Old 12-30-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
The main advantage of MPC-HC is that you can use madVR as the renderer. MPC-HC is also actively developed and highly customizable. But at the end of the day it still is "only" the player. The real magic happens when you let madVR upscale and refine. On your laptop, it's probably best just to stick with PowerDVD. You'll need a beefy video card to really take advantage.
Thanks. I can understand the appeal of MadVR if you want to get into upscaling or SW-based 3D LUTs, but just for straight-through playing of Bluray MKVs, that is a lot of overhead in terms of complexity/control and very likely requires more horsepower than my laptop has available.

PowerDVD plays my MKVs as cleanly as my Sony Bluray player plays the BDs from which they came on my same notebook (somehow) and also appears to support bitstream of THD Audio for Atmos (which is what got me on this quest to begin with), so I think I'll just stick to that for now and save MPC-HC for when I begin to get serious about 3D LUTs (by which time I should have a proper home theater computer .

Thanks again, all, for the help.
VBB likes this.
post #3788 of 4101 Old 12-30-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

you don't need a lot of processing power for a 3D LUT.

an intel HD4400 can run madVR and even slower cards should be fine.
post #3789 of 4101 Old 12-31-2015, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When no upscale is needed (playing 2160p source on 2160p screen).
Does madVR requires a powerful GPU?

I'm considering either upgrading to the latest Intel processor, or getting Nvidia GTX 960.
Any suggestions?
post #3790 of 4101 Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

UHD chroma upsacle is some work.

and for UHD a HDMI 2.0 card like the 960 is not a wrong choice.
hamany likes this.
post #3791 of 4101 Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
UHD chroma upsacle is some work.

and for UHD a HDMI 2.0 card like the 960 is not a wrong choice.
Thanks mightyhuhn,

Does the 4GB version of the GTX 960 going to do better with madVR?
I've heard that there is not much difference between the 2GB and 4GB in gaming.
post #3792 of 4101 Old 12-31-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

UHD rendering takes a lot of Vram take the 4GB version my 2 GB 960 needs special settings so i don't run out of Vram.
the price difference isn't very small these days unlike the time i got my 960.
hamany likes this.
post #3793 of 4101 Old 01-04-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
bit streaming atmos is just 2 click in lavaudio that's all.

i can only guess. this is a very unusually "error".

let's try it with a OSD screen (control + J), the full hardware specs and windows including the version if possible.
what type of decoding is used currently?
crimson is pretty buggy in my tests but in the end my HTPC is still "running"

The problem is intermittent and seems to be occuring less often recently since I upgraded MadVR to version 0.89.x and rolled back MPC-HC to

CNTRL J doesn't show any issues as it is only visible when the playback is visible.

The HTPC is an i5 4690k Haswell with an XFX/AMD Radeon 7850 video card, Samsung 250GB 850 series SSD and 8GB RAM running Win 7 Pro x64 so I'm pretty positive this is not the issue.

By decoding, what do you mean? I'm using the internal LAV filters and MadVR with DXVA 2 CopyBack among other relatively high settings. I didn't have issue with this on my i3 530 Clarkdale back when that HTPC was running fluidly. I'm thinking it is something with switching from Emby to MPC-HC / MadVR that it acting up.

Last edited by Sammy2; 01-04-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: More information provided.
post #3794 of 4101 Old 01-04-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The problem is intermittent and seems to be occuring less often recently since I upgraded MadVR to version 0.89.x and rolled back MPC-HC to
but there is the same issue with MPC-HC?
Quote:
CNTRL J doesn't show any issues as it is only visible when the playback is visible.
still intressting.
Quote:
The HTPC is an i5 4690k Haswell with an XFX/AMD Radeon 7850 video card, Samsung 250GB 850 series SSD and 8GB RAM running Win 7 Pro x64 so I'm pretty positive this is not the issue.

By decoding, what do you mean? I'm using the internal LAV filters and MadVR with DXVA 2 CopyBack among other relatively high settings. I didn't have issue with this on my i3 530 Clarkdale back when that HTPC was running fluidly. I'm thinking it is something with switching from Emby to MPC-HC / MadVR that it acting up.
you can try software decoding.

maybe kodi dSplayer is an alternative too.

but i guess the only way to fix this is a debug log for madshi. there should be a reason madVR isn't displaying anything and that reason should be in the debug log..
post #3795 of 4101 Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On which GPU can I enable HEVC HW decoding in LAV?

Also I read in LAV changelog: "Changed: 4K Video Decoding on AMD graphics card is now enabled (needs recent drivers to work properly)"; that "recent drivers" written on Sept means how much recent?! Driver of July should be ok? If I enable it and it won't work how could I understand it? And if my output is FHD and my source is 4K should I even bother enabling it, or what matters is only the output?
post #3796 of 4101 Old 01-05-2016, 01:30 PM
VBB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
On which GPU can I enable HEVC HW decoding in LAV?

Also I read in LAV changelog: "Changed: 4K Video Decoding on AMD graphics card is now enabled (needs recent drivers to work properly)"; that "recent drivers" written on Sept means how much recent?! Driver of July should be ok? If I enable it and it won't work how could I understand it? And if my output is FHD and my source is 4K should I even bother enabling it, or what matters is only the output?
As of right now, only Maxwell GM206-based cards (GTX 950/960) can do full fixed function HEVC hardware decoding in 10-bit. Intel Skylake can do full only in 8-bit.

Henry
Onkyo HT-RC360
post #3797 of 4101 Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I connect my tv with computer with hdmi on gpu port. The TV has its own settings. With MPC-HC we make new settings. They override the previous settings or what?

Also, what is bitstream, pcm audio and what do i have?

For 1 year i used bs player only without any other program or setting to see movies on my TV, without problem. I dont bother with refresh rates also.. I dont understand them to tell the truth..

Should i change something?
post #3798 of 4101 Old 01-06-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
but there is the same issue with MPC-HC?

still intressting.

you can try software decoding.

maybe kodi dSplayer is an alternative too.

but i guess the only way to fix this is a debug log for madshi. there should be a reason madVR isn't displaying anything and that reason should be in the debug log..
I am happy to report that I got it working. I set the configurator to play all but iso using MPC-HC/MadVR and deleted using TMT5 to playback iso. When I click on an iso, TMT5 loads (and after clicking cancel on that annoying "Upgrade Available, which it isn't because ArcSoft no longer supports this product) the 3D iso immediately loads! Pretty sweet.

Now, if there's a frame packed player for 3D mkv's that works with a remote, I'd like to know about it!

post #3799 of 4101 Old 01-06-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazostat View Post
I connect my tv with computer with hdmi on gpu port. The TV has its own settings. With MPC-HC we make new settings. They override the previous settings or what?

Also, what is bitstream, pcm audio and what do i have?

For 1 year i used bs player only without any other program or setting to see movies on my TV, without problem. I dont bother with refresh rates also.. I dont understand them to tell the truth..

Should i change something?
These are involved questions and if you are happy with your audio and picture take a nap and forget it.

Your equipment is interpreting how the director wants a movie seen and heard up to the limits of its capability.

Most people assume blu-ray is about video; however a lot of the improvement in blu-ray is audio. Additionally software such as MadVR used in a player such as MPC-HC can greatly improve how a DVD looks.

Bitstreaming is sending audio directly to an external device for decoding particularly of advanced audio formats such as DTS-HD. To bitstream you probably will need an audio visual receiver, AVR, and perhaps more and better speaker, (5-7) (unless you want dolby atmos where you need even more speakers)

Refresh rates have to do with how a movie fools the eye by showing a series of still pictures in a way you will interpret as motion.
Sammy2 and lazostat like this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #3800 of 4101 Old 01-06-2016, 03:39 PM

I dont have hme cinema or AVR.. I hear the audio from the TV speakers. So whats option should i choose? One, two, three?

What the best experience? 23p or 60p? And with motion plus off or clear option?
post #3801 of 4101 Old 01-06-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't bitstream. You need to transcode.
Use 23.976fps if your TV supports it.

post #3802 of 4101 Old 01-06-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

blindly using a refreshrate doesn't help content is master in all kind of refreshrates so a proper display mode with the right display modes is needed for correct playback.
post #3803 of 4101 Old 01-07-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
blindly using a refreshrate doesn't help content is master in all kind of refreshrates so a proper display mode with the right display modes is needed for correct playback.
Can you please rephrase that?

If you're using MadVR you set it to match the refresh rate for all refresh rates that your TV or monitor supports. for 23.976, use 23p. When the content is not supported by your TV or monitor, MadVR Smooth Motion will kick in and smooth it out if your video card is strong enough. For example, if your TV or monitor only supports 60fps and the content is 23.976fps, is will display smoothly with out 3:2 Pull Down Judder.

post #3804 of 4101 Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Can you please rephrase that?

If you're using MadVR you set it to match the refresh rate for all refresh rates that your TV or monitor supports. for 23.976, use 23p. When the content is not supported by your TV or monitor, MadVR Smooth Motion will kick in and smooth it out if your video card is strong enough. For example, if your TV or monitor only supports 60fps and the content is 23.976fps, is will display smoothly with out 3:2 Pull Down Judder.
using something like this is fine:
1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60

SM isn't used automaticly if it isn't selected at all and not all people can deal with it.

if you set your TV to 23p and that's it you can easily run in huge problems.

and SM should always beused at the highest possible refreshrate nothing else.

SM =smoothmotion.
post #3805 of 4101 Old 01-07-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
using something like this is fine:
1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60

SM isn't used automaticly if it isn't selected at all and not all people can deal with it.

if you set your TV to 23p and that's it you can easily run in huge problems.

and SM should always beused at the highest possible refreshrate nothing else.

SM =smoothmotion.
Yes, of course. Set the TV to 60fps for most content and let MadVR frame rate switching take care of the rest. I didn't mean to imply setting the TV to 23p as that will cause all sorts of judder and probably make you throw up. I've used SM for 25fps content to scale to 24fps and it works quite well, much better than playing 25fps at 24fps and seeing noticeable frame drops.

post #3806 of 4101 Old 01-07-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

that shouldn't work properly are you sure it wasn't reclock?

60 Hz should be way better for 25 FPS content. if 50 hz is not availably.
post #3807 of 4101 Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 AM

Refresh Rate from TV auto-changes only when i have the extend monitor enabled. But then the videos lagging all the time!!

When i have the duplicate monitors enabled, i dont have any lag, but i must manually change the refresh rate of my tv, via control panel of nvidia.. Why?

I used the auto-change Hz options from madVR settings.
post #3808 of 4101 Old 01-07-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
that shouldn't work properly are you sure it wasn't reclock?

60 Hz should be way better for 25 FPS content. if 50 hz is not availably.
Yes, that is what it does. My post from years gone by.. It's been a while now.

It is always been my understanding that MadVR SM actually does interpolation between frames and not pull down. In this case it is creating interpolated frames from known frames rather than repeating frames in a 12:5 (60:25) pull down scheme. 25 frames in the source yields 60 frames on the screen, meaning that 35 of those frames are interpolated from known frames making things appear smoother.

post #3809 of 4101 Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazostat View Post
Refresh Rate from TV auto-changes only when i have the extend monitor enabled. But then the videos lagging all the time!!

When i have the duplicate monitors enabled, i dont have any lag, but i must manually change the refresh rate of my tv, via control panel of nvidia.. Why?

I used the auto-change Hz options from madVR settings.
I suggest checking in whatever software you are using to extend your display to see if your TV and monitor are identified correctly.

In experimenting with different settings you are doing the right thing. Keep track of the changes you make and the result. You may need to be the expert who solves your problem.

Extending a desktop introduces complications. I know I sometimes get a vertical line in the middle of the TV with a pointer in the middle of the line. I have gotten this for years. I don't know why but it goes away when I play a movie so it causes me no problem.

Also, I have never needed to transcode and I don't know anything about bs player. My advice has limitations.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #3810 of 4101 Old 01-07-2016, 12:22 PM

But why the television Hz dont change automatically? I have it enabled on madVR setting..

I followed this setup : http://www.ezoden.com/htpc/4/how-to-...c-introduction

I've installed WMP-HC, Ffdshow filters, MadVR, Declock all x86 versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers