post #631 of 3080 Old 01-26-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

It wasnt designed to be pretty - just functional. Default settings work for as much as 90% of users. Current installers directs you to a Setup and usage page which assists with specific issues a user may encounter.

This information may apply to my software of 2 years ago but I have gone to great lengths since then to ensure your system is returned to its previous state upon uninstall. Especially concerning registry settings. The ONLY thing left behind is an empty installation folder.

This is so untrue that i cant even imagine where you would even think of such a thing. Development has never been slow, ever. I release updates at a minimum weekly, and if warrented, several times weekly using the latest available codecs direct from developers.

I mean functionally ugly, but this is subjective. A cosmetically prettier UI is preferable of course.

Like this (your post in June 2011):

Quote:

Wait a bit longer until I integrate the LAV splitters/decoders into the Shark007 releases giving you the choice of using whatever it is you prefer to use, with a single click, as I always have. I do not have an ETA at this time.

LAV Filter has been stable since v0.10 in October 2010, just more options have been added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3080 Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Like this (your post in June 2011):

LAV Filter has been stable since v0.10 in October 2010, just more options have been added.

I wont deny you, your opinion of stable. I'm glad to hear that you have found the LAV filters useful since then.

Anyway, I made that statement you quoted in June'11, and in the 1st week of Aug'11 my software began to include the lav filters. In past 6 months, I have made 41 releases. Each having the latest svn version of each codec in my pack.

EDIT
Not to toot my own horn, but you should check out another post of mine from June'11 which is relavent to your opinion.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #633 of 3080 Old 01-26-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge View Post

just wait and see if I come to think I need Shark007 for anything. Thanks for helping me come to that decision...

Shark007 is not *necessary*, of course. You can configure each codec easily with its own UI/properties. You may want to use Shark007 if you want a single UI to control all codecs (but I would like to see a better UI).

Quote:

Let me make sure I understand (and sorry if I'm being dense) ... you mean I need 64-bit codecs if I'm going to use WMC's internal player, right? (And even then, only if I want to play something it can't handle, like MKV, or something it can't handle well, like [I-don't-know-what])?

If I'm using mpc-hc as the player within WMC to play MKV files (and everything else I can route through mpc-hc x86), then I don't need 64-bit codecs ... do I have that right, or am I still missing something?

Yes. Just install what your player requires to play back videos and 32-bit codecs for a 32-bit player.
post #634 of 3080 Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Shark007 is not *necessary*, of course. You can configure each codec easily with its own UI/properties. You may want to use Shark007 if you want a single UI to control all codecs (but I would like to see a better UI).

Yes. Just install what your player requires to play back videos and 32-bit codecs for a 32-bit player.

Thanks renethx for the on-point replies. Of course I didn't mean to cause a stir, but even the argument is helpful to me. I'll direct a specific question to Shark (but I'll be diplomatic and put it in another post).
post #635 of 3080 Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:

just to inform you...

... Development has never been slow, ever. I release updates at a minimum weekly, and if warrented, several times weekly using the latest available codecs direct from developers.

Hi Shark - I'm the noob who stirred this whole mess up in the first place. Sorry, but actually it's helpful for me to hear two people who have orders of magnitude more knowledge than I do arguing different sides. I'm grateful to renethx for replying to my questions, and to you for speaking up and advocating for your work in a way that also helped give me some needed info.

Just to clarify - can you specify what it means exactly that the Shark007 pack "contains" or incorporates the LAV work? Does that mean that if I install Shark007, I have all the functionality available to me that I previously had with the LAV splitter, filters, decoder, etc? And if I for some reason want the 5-minutes-ago release of LAV, and it's not in Shark007 yet, can I just go out and grab the new LAV and have it work in your pack automatically? Or is it stitched in in such a way that I need to wait for the next Shark007 release? (that's not a big dealbreaker problem necessarily - I'm just curious)

Another question - can you give an example or two of a situation I might run into using 7MC, mpc-hc, and LAV, all properly configured, in which I would say "rats, this doesn't work - I'm going to have to get Shark007 to handle this"?

That would really help me to decide which way to go.

Thanks for all your work, and for sticking up for your "product", and for helping to address a humble noob's questions...
post #636 of 3080 Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Hi Shark

@ huge...
defending myself, and the software I produce when false information is posted in a thread required my interjection irregardless of the topic.

responding to your general inquires about my software in someone else's thread/topic is just poor nettiquette.
I have my own forum, take your questions there please.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #637 of 3080 Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So, while this works great for HD/BD content, any solution to playing regular DVDs using MadVR? I'd love to see what it does with it, but that Macrovision error keeps killing it...
post #638 of 3080 Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

So, while this works great for HD/BD content, any solution to playing regular DVDs using MadVR? I'd love to see what it does with it, but that Macrovision error keeps killing it...

i know people are busy, but we did just discuss this like 1 page ago. just google the error you are getting and you will find the fix, you need to download a different file to your syswow directories, problem solved.
post #639 of 3080 Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post

i know people are busy, but we did just discuss this like 1 page ago. just google the error you are getting and you will find the fix, you need to download a different file to your syswow directories, problem solved.

Seen that. Don't wanna do a hack. And it doesn't work that well anyway.
post #640 of 3080 Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Open the videots folder and play the ifo or vob files directly?

Also, you can try to make mkv files out of your dvds.
post #641 of 3080 Old 01-28-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

Open the videots folder and play the ifo or vob files directly?

Also, you can try to make mkv files out of your dvds.

MadVR/LAV will still give a Macrovision error on DVD folders. MKV...is yes, an option, although a pretty intensive one. I have over 700 DVDs on my server...

What I'd love to have is a seamless solution using MadVR . The output of MadVR (configured correctly on Nvidia) is rather gorgeous (as you said). I'd love to see how it'd work with DVDs
post #642 of 3080 Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

The quickest fix for Macrovision error is use ffdshow video decoder for MPEG-2 (any of libavcodec, libmpeg2, Intel QuickSync is ok; make sure to check "DVD decoding"). I am not sure why this easy solution has been ignored.

You can still use WMVideo Decoder DMO or Intel QuickSync for VC-1, and LAV Video Decoder (or whatever) for AVC.

@MlNDBOMB

Can you add the following two solutions to Macrovison error in op?

1 (Simplest): Use ffdshow video decoder for MPEG-2 with "DVD decoding" checked.

2: Download Windows XP's DVD Navigator somewhere and replace Windows 7's with it. Then use a MPEG-2 video decoder supporting DVD Navigator (ffdshow video decoder with "DVD decoding" checked, Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder etc.; note that LAV Video Decoder does not support DVD Navigator). Read also this post.
post #643 of 3080 Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:

@MlNDBOMB

+1. From a noob's perspective, Renethx's instructions may be hard to follow.
post #644 of 3080 Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Seen that. Don't wanna do a hack. And it doesn't work that well anyway.

works perfect for me, the other ways that i saw to overcome it were more of a hack than that.
post #645 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

@MlNDBOMB

1 (Simplest): Use ffdshow video decoder for MPEG-2 with "DVD decoding" checked.

2: Download Windows XP's DVD Navigator somewhere and replace Windows 7's with it. Then use a MPEG-2 video decoder supporting DVD Navigator (ffdshow video decoder with "DVD decoding" checked, Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder etc.; note that LAV Video Decoder does not support DVD Navigator). Read also this post.

I added a solution, but it's sorta a mix between those 2. I tried using the Win 7 Dvd navigator with microsoft dtv-dvd video decoder...and it worked for me.
post #646 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 AM

I have an odd situation when trying to play mkv's from a ReadyNAS Ultra.

When I select a file to play in MB/MPC-HC there can be a delay of up to a minute before it will run. I have tried using a mkv file on a ReadyNAS NV and a Qnap TS101 with the same result. All the switches, NAS and HTPC are gigabit enabled and normal file transfer speeds are lightening quick. Disk spin down on the NAS is disabled. Media files on the HTPC HDD play instantly as do media files hosted on a networked PC. The ReadyNAS Ultra hosts all my FLAC music and the Squeezebox plays them flawlessly but there seems to be a big problem with MPC-HC and the NAS. I have tried optimising the settings on the Ultra with no improvement.

VLC media player starts playing immediately from the NAS and the WMC native player does exactly the same. Seems the problem is with MPC-HC and/or the video or audio renderers. Running MPC-HC directly (rather than via MB) to the NAS gets a movie playing in about 12 seconds but if you stop it and start another movie it takes 60 seconds before it starts playing. Same behaviour as via MB. Same movies play immediately in VLC.

Setup: MPC-HC x86, LAV Splitter, ffdshow audio, ffdshow video, LAV Audio, LAV Video, MadVR, Reclock

I did a gash setup of MPC-HC on another PC and started adding splitter, filters and renderers. I get as far as MPC-MC + LAV Splitter + LAV Video + MadVR + Reclock and everything plays instantly from the NAS. As soon as I change LAV Audio from 'block' to 'prefer' the problem with the NAS appears.

Anybody able to suggest what I am doing wrong or what I should change?
post #647 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

are you using the latest lav audio?
post #648 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM

No, I am using 0.44 but will give 0.45 a try.
post #649 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I tried using the Win 7 Dvd navigator with microsoft dtv-dvd video decoder...and it worked for me.

It does not work for me. The file version of DVD Navigator is 6.6.7601.17713, 502KB, 10/26/2011 (the latest version obtained through Windows Update). I tried

- ffdshow Video Decoder (libavcodec, libmpeg2, Intel QuickSync [Intel HD Graphics only]) with "DVD decoding" checked
- Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
- CyberLink Video/SP Decoder
- ArcSoft Video Decoder
- madVR (ffmpeg/libav software decoder, Intel software decoder)

and only ffdshow Video Decoder (any of the three codecs) worked without the "DVD: Macrovision Fail" error. Did anybody else try Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder to play back DVD?

BTW the previous version is 6.6.7601.17514, 502KB, 11/21/2010. Windows XP's is 6.5.2600.5512, 377KB (which some people recommend).
post #650 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was using 17514, and it worked with the microsoft decoder.

Can you also try madvr's ffmpeg mpeg 2 decoder and intel mpeg 2 decoder?
post #651 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I was using 17514, and it worked with the microsoft decoder.

Can you also try madvr's ffmpeg mpeg 2 decoder and intel mpeg 2 decoder?

All of my ripped DVDs (iso/folder) are decrypted by AnyDVD.

madVR's own decoders did not work either.

I restored qdvd.dll 17514, but it still gives Macrovision Fail error with all MPEG-2 decoders except for ffdshow.
post #652 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay, I think I know what is happening.

A little background information:
I'm playing these DVDs on my netbook. One of the speakers is broken, thus I have ffdshow audio processor as a filter downmixing to mono and doing a volume boost.

Now here is where it gets interesting...without ffdshow audio processor, I get the macrovision error. With it, I'm fine.
post #653 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

i just added the microsoft dtv decoder to external filters along with changing out that syswow file and it works.

not sure that its a big deal though, the resolution of dvds is terrible, i just decided to try one of my dvds one night and it didn't work so i experimented, but its almost unwatchable especially compared to 720p.

and i use ffdshow audio as i need ac3 encoding because my receiver is 10 + years old. although i guess with reclock i don't really need it since reclock does the ac3.
post #654 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here is a summary.

- Player: MPC HomeCinema 32-bit
- DVD navigator: XP's (6.5.2600.5512), Vista's (6.6.6002.18533), 7's (6.6.7601.17713)
- MPEG-2 video decoder: various (below)
- Video renderer: madVR 0.80, EVR

madVR:
  DVD Navigator (XP's) DVD Navigator (Vista's/7's) DVD Navigator (Vista's/7's)+ffdshow Audio Processor
ffdshow Video Decoder Yes Yes Yes
ArcSoft Video Decoder Yes No Yes
CyberLink Video/SP Decoder Yes No Yes
Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder Yes No Yes
MPEG-2 Video Decoder (built in MPC) Yes No Yes
LAV Video Decoder No support No No support
madVR No support No No support
EVR:
  DVD Navigator (XP's) DVD Navigator (Vista's/7's) DVD Navigator (Vista's/7's)+ffdshow Audio Processor
ffdshow Video Decoder Yes Yes Yes
ArcSoft Video Decoder Yes Yes Yes
CyberLink Video/SP Decoder Yes Yes Yes
Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder Yes Yes Yes
MPEG-2 Video Decoder (built in MPC) Yes Yes Yes
LAV Video Decoder No support No support No support
madVR No support No No support
"No support" means that it does not connect to DVD Navigator, so there is no "DVD: Macrovision Fail" message, and MPEG-2 Video Decoder (built in MPC) is used instead.

Conclusion

Just use ffdshow Video Decoder for MPEG-2 and you will be fine in playing back DVD with madVR. Use Windows XP's DVD Navigator (a bit of work requried) only when you want to use either ArcSoft Video Decoder, CyberLink Video/SP Decoder or Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder for some reason. MPEG-2 Video Decoder (built in MPC) is not recommended.
post #655 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

renethx, see what happens when you add ffdshow audio processor to the mix

i dont know why, but it appears to be key for me.
post #656 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

renethx, see what happens when you add ffdshow audio processor to the mix

i dont know why, but it appears to be key for me.

I tried ffdshow audio decoder, but it seems it is irrelevant.
post #657 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

are you using reclock?

maybe it has to be default directsound.

I can literally toggle the macrovision error on and off by blocking/prefering ffdshow audio processor for some reason.
post #658 of 3080 Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM

is the gt430 1gb good enough for madvr high settings?
post #659 of 3080 Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

are you using reclock?

maybe it has to be default directsound.

I can literally toggle the macrovision error on and off by blocking/prefering ffdshow audio processor for some reason.

OK, you are using ffdshow audio *processor*, not decoder. I see it works somehow. (ReClock is irrelevant.) A summary.
post #660 of 3080 Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwong180 View Post

is the gt430 1gb good enough for madvr high settings?

Yes, unless you use "windowed mode" (that requires GTS 450 or higher).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page