Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #961 of 3269 Old 05-05-2012, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the guide. I followed the step and the videos quality improved quite a bit. I have a bit of trouble with the audio though. I did everything in the step correctly but i have no sound at all.

My setup is:

i5 - 2500k
6950 HD
Xfi Titanium

I run an SPDIF cable from my sound card to the receiver, which is set for DTS mode. I tried few file with ac3 and i have no sound at all. I tried to disable lav audio filter and use the default. I can hear sound but not 5.1. I used ffdshow before i did a fresh windows re install and have 5.1 surround fine, would lav filter improve the quality? (I also have TMT for the dts-hd) If it does then how would i fix this problem?

edit: I tried ffdshow again and only there sound only when the output is stereo and nothing when set to 5.1

another thing i am confused is the transform filter in "internal filter" is the rest of filter in transform filter box suppose to be check or un check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 3269 Old 05-05-2012, 05:56 AM

im a little confused about the internal filters section as well, shouldnt everything be unchecked for lav to decode them? And the audio switcher, that should be unchecked too right?

@tinphan, is your soundcard configured for 5.1? after re-installing did you install the right drivers for it?
post #963 of 3269 Old 05-05-2012, 05:26 PM

yes it is 5.1

In the sound portion of control panel. There are 2 option, speaker and spdif out and both from creative sb x-fi. The spdif does not have option to configure to 5.1 and its default format is 2 channel, 24 bit and 48k HZ while the speaker set to 5.1

Would this be the cause of the problem?
post #964 of 3269 Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinphan View Post

yes it is 5.1

In the sound portion of control panel. There are 2 option, speaker and spdif out and both from creative sb x-fi. The spdif does not have option to configure to 5.1 and its default format is 2 channel, 24 bit and 48k HZ while the speaker set to 5.1

I don't use spdif, but you may want to check what default device windows is using in control panel, is it analogu x-fi or spdif? Whatever it is switch it and see if it works. Another thing you could try is DTS config options in creative control console thing. Are you using DTS Connect? I think you may need to download it off creative website. You would want to bitstream it so the reciever can decode.
post #965 of 3269 Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Anyone have a recommendation for minimum CPU/GPU for madVR/LAV.

I currently am getting about 300 frame drops during a typical BD movie to .mkv rip with a 23.976fps/bitrate of about 32mbps. I also get a huge number of frame drops playing back a 59fps 720p .mkv. I seem to get fewer frame drops using no HW decoding compared to DXVA Copybakc or DXVA Native. I would have expected the reverse.

I currently have a E4200 2.2Ghz/ATI 5570. Is it time for an HTPC upgrade?
post #966 of 3269 Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinphan View Post

yes it is 5.1

yea, im not sure.

it should be just selecting spdif should do it.

you can do this with your motherboard's spdif also, it might be easier.
post #967 of 3269 Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have some questions about the configuration settings of the RS45.

1. HDMI Input
I can selecact Standard (16-235), Enhanced (0-255) or Super White (16-255).
What is the setting that should be used when using a HTPC with:
- Blu-Ray content to play
- Media Player Classic Home Cinema
- madVR as output renderer (set to PC levels 0-255 as RGB output levels)
- LAV video filter (RGB set to 'untouched' in LAV video filter)
- NVIDIA GTX460 with default 1080p23 profile BUT with n vidia fix during installation (for further information about this fix check http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...post&p=1328716)

2. Color Space
I can select YCbCr (4:4:4), YCbCr (4:2:2) or RGB. It seems that only RGB seems to show the correct colours. I thought Blu-Ray specification was 4:2:2?
post #968 of 3269 Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
post #969 of 3269 Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 PM

I tried this method and it seems to be better than what I originally used. My previous configuration included Haali & AC3 filter w/ shaders. I actually ditched the shaders!

How do you guys deal with multiple audio outputs though? My main sound comes out of a X-Fi Titanium (5.1) but late at night I prefer my TV HDMI (2.0).

Is there a quick way to change between these outputs? Normally I used to change the output setting within MPC-HC but it is using the ReClock audio render currently. Guess any fancy audio is irrelevant anyways when using my HDMI so I might get away with using my HDMI output as MPC-HC output and switch it back when required, or is there a better/faster way?

Thanks!
post #970 of 3269 Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Rclik, perhaps the easiest way (if you're not using Reclock) is to configure MPC-HC to use an INI file, and then have multiple copies of MPC-HC with their own INI file for each renderer?
post #971 of 3269 Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 AM

With my previous "MPC-Build" I used to switch, restart MPC and be done with it. Now I am out of luck because I use ReClock exclusively.

In the configuration of ReClock I have noticed several settings that deal with choosing outputs (WaveOut/WASAPA Exclusive under "Devices to use with"). It might deal with my problem.

One thing to be said though: I should have changed a long time ago! The image is so fluid now that I no longer see any stuttering. The quality has been improved as well. Definitely worth it!
post #972 of 3269 Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Ok, so I set up MPC-HC with MadVR and the LAV filters as an external player in XBMC to play my 10 bit anime files. Everything is going pretty good and most of the files look great so I can honestly say I don't see myself going back to 8 bit if there is a 10 bit alternative available. However, I am still getting judder on vertical and horizontal pans on certain shows like A Destiny's Toriko 10 bit files. I'm not sure if it's just something screwy with their encodes or if there is something I can change to alleviate this.

I currently have Intel Quicksync set as my hardware acceleration method and it shows as available to the right but beneath it I see active decoders is set to none so I'm not sure if hardware acceleration is even being used. My PC has a Sandy Bridge processor with integrated GPU. I tried to select LAVCUVID but it does not show as available. I've tried changing the render methods in MadVR and disallowing fullscreen exclusive mode and didn't notice too much difference. Any advice on what steps to take next or should I just leave it alone since everything else seems to be working well and it might just be the encoding on this particular show?

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #973 of 3269 Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All bets are off when it comes to re-encodes (and I think the 8 bit to 10 bit conversions those yahoos are doing is snake oil). They may have chosen the wrong deinterlacer, for example, or played around with various filters to "improve" the image. Your best bet is to test with the raw videos instead of these re-encodes, to ensure maximum quality.

Although mpeg2 decoding can be a challenge for anime with the funky framerates they sometimes use, and that can result in stutter unless you have an excellent deinterlacer.

In the meantime, I would test on high-bitrate progressive scan material from Blu-rays.

LAVCUVID will work once you put in an NVIDIA videocard.
post #974 of 3269 Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Gotcha, thanks. It really only happens on encodes from this one subbing group that I've seen so far so you might be right in that they screwed something up in the encode process. I use the built-in XBMC player with DSPlayer as my player for bluray rips since I still get the UI in case I want to pull up the info screen while playing something back. I only use MPC-HC for 10 bit anime right now. I did try a bluray rip and it looked a little better but not enough for me to switch everything to MPC-HC.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #975 of 3269 Old 05-09-2012, 05:56 PM

Hi folks,

First of all, thank you very much for the guide, I truly appreciate having such a well written and image filled guide to help me get the most out of my graphics card, pc, and videos in general.

I had just one quick question, and it's not directly related to mpc-hc, but might be affected by it.

I'm looking to get thumbnails in Windows Explorer for my MKV files, but I run a 64-bit version of windows, and thus a 64-bit version of Explorer. I googled around a bit and didn't want to start installing codec packs willy-nilly, but it seems as though I'll need a 64 bit codec to be able to generate those thumbnails.

Could someone please advise what the best solution to this problem would be?

Thanks again!
post #976 of 3269 Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

well, you can go to options, formats, in mpc hc, and select video.
This should give them the mpc hc logo. Which is how I have it.
I'm guessing you wanted something different though.

In other news, I added a madvr alternative section. People having issues with madvr, performance or otherwise, might wanna check it out. It is what I use atm on my zacate, with dxva copyback in lav video. Seems fine so far. I've heard good things about EVR with regards to how it works on some platforms, as opposed to evr custom pres.
post #977 of 3269 Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

MadVR Alternative
This option isn't as high quality as madvr, but it might interest people looking for a faster or more efficient solution. Go to the output page and select EVR as the renderer (not EVR-Custom Pres). Since EVR doesn't work with MPC-HC's subtitle renderer, you need to install one. I recommend xy-vsfilter, available at
http://code.google.com/p/xy-vsfilter/ . To install it, first extract it with 7zip, or whatever you use to work with 7z files. Then, open command prompt (search for cmd in the start menu search). Then type regsvr32 "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\xy-VSFilter_3.0.0.8_Stable\\VSFilter.dll" or adjust for wherever the dll is. Then open mpc hc, go to external filters, add directvobsub, and set it to prefer.

I'm using VMR-9** (Renderless) for my video renderer with subs and there' is occasional stutter.

Does EVR with xy-vsfilter produce better results?

post #978 of 3269 Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had any success playing .wtv files from media center?

They play for me, but jitter and go blocky.

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
post #979 of 3269 Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:

well, you can go to options, formats, in mpc hc, and select video.
This should give them the mpc hc logo. Which is how I have it.
I'm guessing you wanted something different though.

Yeah I was hoping for a video still like Explorer does for .avi files.
post #980 of 3269 Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I'm using VMR-9** (Renderless) for my video renderer with subs and there' is occasional stutter.

Anyone?

post #981 of 3269 Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

I'll entitle this post "YAY" or "How I finally got glitch free playback with no frame drops using LAV/madVR/MPC-HC".

First, my system has an E4200 2.2Ghz CPU and an ATI 5570 w/ 1GB of memory. In other words nothing particularly modern or powerful.

While I never had any problem playing back 480p or 720p files, high bitrate BDs ripped to .mkv with HD audio would have ~300 frame drops in a typical movie. I also had some 59fps files that had crazy amounts of frame drops and were pretty much unwatchable.

First, a little research showed that using DXVA Copy-Back in LAV video pretty much was expected to choke at over 50fps so I went back to software decoding. While this did, of course, pump CPU usage up it was still around 80% so I figured I give it a try. This in an of itself didn't fix my problem with frame drops.

So, more research led me to believe that the problem lied in madVR's settings and in indeed it did.

Looking in the queues in MadVR (CTRL+J) showed my decoder queue was quite stable running at 11-12/12. So, my CPU didn't seem to be the bottleneck. The upload queue was also stable at 7-8/8 but the Render queue would drop to 0 and thus causing the Present queue to drop to 0 causing the frame drops.

In madVR I dropped the GPU queue setting slider (under Rendering/General Settings) down to 6. This really reduced the number of dropped frames so I also tried dropping it further to 4 or 5. That actually made it a bit worse so at least for my ATI card 6 seemed to be the sweet spot.

I also read that using Bilinear under all the Scaling Algorithims would help with an older system like mine so I changed my settings to those. I still had some frame drops though but it was getting pretty good.

Back under Rendering/General settings I ticked off Enable Automatic Fullscreen Exclusive Mode, Use Seperate Device for Presentation, and use D3D11 for Presentation. I can't say if any of this specifically helped but it seems to be recommended.

Even with all that I still had some frame drops.

What finally solved the problem was under the Rendering/Exclusive Mode Settings. I upped the How Many Frames Shall Be Presented in Advance to 6. Shockingly frame drops went down to 0! YAY! If someone could explain to me why this might help I'd be curious but I'm just so happy to have finally fixed my frame drop problem.

So, the moral of the story is that madVR settings really do need to be tweaked for specific hardware and shouldn't be glossed over.
post #982 of 3269 Old 05-12-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I have some questions about the configuration settings of the RS45.

1. HDMI Input
I can selecact Standard (16-235), Enhanced (0-255) or Super White (16-255).
What is the setting that should be used when using a HTPC with:
- Blu-Ray content to play
- Media Player Classic Home Cinema
- madVR as output renderer (set to PC levels 0-255 as RGB output levels)
- LAV video filter (RGB set to 'untouched' in LAV video filter)
- NVIDIA GTX460 with default 1080p23 profile BUT with n vidia fix during installation (for further information about this fix check http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...post&p=1328716)

2. Color Space
I can select YCbCr (4:4:4), YCbCr (4:2:2) or RGB. It seems that only RGB seems to show the correct colours. I thought Blu-Ray specification was 4:2:2?

no idea anyone?
post #983 of 3269 Old 05-12-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

bluray is 4 2 0.
madvr is outputting 4 4 4 rgb.
lav video's settings don't matter since madvr is doing that.

i'd just check with a calibration video tbh
post #984 of 3269 Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post

Has anyone had any success playing .wtv files from media center?

They play for me, but jitter and go blocky.

I tried this a while back but gave up because I saw the same results you are. Would be willing to try again since I would like to get ti working.
Are you using MADVR or EVR?

Scott
-----
www.techlifeweb.com | Twitter: @techlifeweb
post #985 of 3269 Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

are you using windows xp? I sort of assumed people are using windows 7.

but yea, i think in general, evr is one of the best things short of madvr.
post #986 of 3269 Old 05-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skingery View Post

I tried this a while back but gave up because I saw the same results you are. Would be willing to try again since I would like to get ti working.
Are you using MADVR or EVR?

It happens with any renderer. I have tested with playback in WMC with Lav as a forced video decoder which obviously uses EVR and in MPC with EVR, MAD VR and VMR9.

I have a sample I am going to upload to the lav release thread as it mentions that there may be problems with skipping on dvb sources. Unfortunately once you register, you have to wait 5 days until you can post.

Goldeneye
post #987 of 3269 Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

it may be a problem with hardware decoding or deinterlacing.

try no hardware acceleration and yadif deinterlacing in lav video.
post #988 of 3269 Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 125
WTV's only work properly with LAV Video when you also use LAV Splitter to split them.
Somehow the MS WTV Splitter does something odd to them which causes those occasional blocking.

If you're stuck with WMC and need to play WTV, either use the Microsoft decoder or figure out how to let LAV Splitter take over WTV files.
post #989 of 3269 Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

WTV's only work properly with LAV Video when you also use LAV Splitter to split them.
Somehow the MS WTV Splitter does something odd to them which causes those occasional blocking.

If you're stuck with WMC and need to play WTV, either use the Microsoft decoder or figure out how to let LAV Splitter take over WTV files.

Even with wtv selected in the LAV splitter properties and lav splitter in preferred in mpc-hc, the splitter still doesn't work. It still uses numerous microsoft filters instead.

How can I force lav splitter to be used instead?

Goldeneye
post #990 of 3269 Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

are you using windows xp? I sort of assumed people are using windows 7.

I'm using Win7x86.

Quote:

but yea, i think in general, evr is one of the best things short of madvr.

I had issues with EVR CP** showing a technicolor raincoat on every scene change (dxva problems, I think). VMR9** doesn't do this, but it could be the dxva setting too.

BTW the stutter is very slight and not there most of the time so it could be the source material too.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page