FYI.. 2011 model Lenovo n5902 HTPC remote! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm kinda anxious to see how this remote plays out. Reviews for the n5901 weren't all that great, but they've addressed some of the issues like back-lighting for the keyboard. For those interested, if you google it, there is a 50% off coupon floating around the net. That's a big discount for a product launch, so I'm suspicious, but for $39.99 and it's a 2nd generation product.. I'll bite! Keeping my fingers cross that it'll be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-wSl6LR4M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I think with the exception of the F keys this remote is one of the best for under $50.

I like the RF especially.

Clipped from youtube:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 76 Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM

I just got mine today! First impressions are that it is much easier to use than the Blue Tooth Microsoft multimedia keyboard. I'll have to see if I can get it to wake up the computer. When I tried the "wake on USB" with the Microsoft keyboard, it never worked.
post #4 of 76 Old 09-07-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That EE Guy View Post

I just got mine today! First impressions are that it is much easier to use than the Blue Tooth Microsoft multimedia keyboard. I'll have to see if I can get it to wake up the computer. When I tried the "wake on USB" with the Microsoft keyboard, it never worked.

My old one wakes my HTPC with aplomb.

Always has. However, my Harmony One only does it most of the time.

post #5 of 76 Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I got mine in over the weekend, I'm having major issues with the left and right mouse movement on the optical finger navigation. Is anyone else having issues?

oddly enough if I put a napkin on top of my finger or my shirt it moves much more smoothly. It's having trouble recognizing the finger alone. And even worse left and right than up and down
post #6 of 76 Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post

I got mine in over the weekend, I'm having major issues with the left and right mouse movement on the optical finger navigation. Is anyone else having issues?

oddly enough if I put a napkin on top of my finger or my shirt it moves much more smoothly. It's having trouble recognizing the finger alone. And even worse left and right than up and down

you should also go into your mouse settings and change your cursor speed to the fastest setting. makes navigation life much easier.
post #7 of 76 Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 PM

That is so awesome. Can anyone post up a more detailed review of this device? The main question I have is whether this device is exactly the same as the first generation except for the backlight. I've heard the trackball is loose and moves on its own too easily.
post #8 of 76 Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight026 View Post

That is so awesome. Can anyone post up a more detailed review of this device? The main question I have is whether this device is exactly the same as the first generation except for the backlight. I've heard the trackball is loose and moves on its own too easily.

It does not have a trackball, it has an sensor that is very similar to the Blackberry phones. Just go to the Lenovo site, it explains it pretty well.
post #9 of 76 Old 09-27-2011, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Somehow missed this thread at first... I've had my eye on the N5901 for a long time, never did bite because the price was a little high (and I always managed to miss the sales). Right now the N5901 is on sale for $36, but with the 50% coupon the N5902 is only $40 so seems a better deal. You can get the eCoupon code directly from the Lenovo product page. I've just ordered mine, can't wait to get it.

--

The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
post #10 of 76 Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 AM

I've got the old model and I'll 2nd the notion that the trackball is too loose.

I also find that if I'm more than 8 feet from my HTPC, both the trackball mouse motions and key presses don't always make it to the HTPC. My couch is 10 feet away... I often end up standing up and moving closer to my HTPC to use it. Not optimal- and certainly not "wife proof".

I hope they managed to increase the range a tad.

I think with some sale or something, I only paid $16 for it (including s&h) - so I'm not complaining. I'm about to buy a 4 tuner Ceton USB cable card tuner- so I'll probably soon be using my HTPC a lot more- and so I'll want a better wireless keyboard...
post #11 of 76 Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the old model and there is significant interference between the USB receiver and the PC. The cursor freezes from time to time if the receiver is directly plugged in. Using a USB extension cable solves it.
post #12 of 76 Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 PM

For those that are getting the new model, please let us know about the range. I'm eager to find out. Where does the interference come from? The TV? other wireless devices?
post #13 of 76 Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 AM

Does anyone know which shop to send the keyboard to Europe?
Or you can buy it in Europe?.
post #14 of 76 Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For those that are getting the new model, please let us know about the range. I'm eager to find out. Where does the interference come from? The TV? other wireless devices?

I have never had any interference with the older model. I sit about 15' from the HTPC.

I have the dongle on a USB extension and it sits discretely under a picture frame.

post #15 of 76 Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 PM

pnkflyd51 says 10 feet, assassin says 15. Not to be offensive, either someone is miscounting distance , interference is disrupting the range, or there are differences in manufacturing quality in the remotes. 15 feet is good enough for me, 10 feet not so much. I notice that both devices use 2.4GHz frequency, that's the same frequency as most wireless routers. Which leads to my next question, do any of you have a strong wireless signal in the same room where you use the remote?

I'm trying to setup an HTPC system and am planning on buying either the Lenovo or the Dinovo mini to control XBMC. I'm trying to make up my mind. I also want to integrate either a URC or logitech to control the rest of the devices (TV, Cable box, PC) and perform macros on both the devices and software.
post #16 of 76 Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My old type one is good from 15 feet away, but only if the USB receiver is plugged into the front of the HTPC. I bought 2 of the new type as well; my main issue witht he old one was lack of backlighting. I may be putting two of the old ones up for sale once I've picked up and tried the new ones.

===========

post #17 of 76 Old 09-28-2011, 09:03 PM

Sweet! I would greatly appreciate it if you let us know about about the range and whether there are any issues with the optical navigator thingy on the new remotes.
post #18 of 76 Old 09-29-2011, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

I hate touch pad stuff, so at first, it was a bummer for me that they didn't keep the trackball. But I have found that the ofn touch thing has two advantages.

1. You can click on it and it works as your left click.
2. I've read reviews that advises the use of CLICKLOCK from your pc mouse setting. With clicklock enabled, you can drag and drop and highlight words all using the ofn. Without clicklock, you would need to use two hands, one hand to hold down the actual left click and the other hand to swipe the ofn.

This thing has been awesome! Highly recommend it.
post #19 of 76 Old 09-29-2011, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sweet! I would greatly appreciate it if you let us know about about the range and whether there are any issues with the optical navigator thingy on the new remotes.

I think you need to put the dongle in the front of the case or on a usb extension cable like I did to maximize the range.

post #20 of 76 Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I think you need to put the dongle in the front of the case or on a usb extension cable like I did to maximize the range.

Agreed.

===========

post #21 of 76 Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 AM

I bought the original N5901 because of the high cost of a DiNovo Mini. I use it as my only keyboard with my HTPC but the issues already discussed make it less than desirable to use: loose trackball which can't be pressed in for a left-click and thus forces two-handed use, no scrolling, no backlight and inconsistent cursor movement.

One thing I always look for on a media keyboard is a Green Button or some way to directly launch Windows Media Center; with the N5901 there was a button in the top left that I programmed to operate as a Green Button. It appears as though there are two "extra" buttons on the N5902, launch Internet Explorer and another beside it that could be used in the same way as the top left button on the N5901.

I bought the N5902 for $40 with free shipping and am looking forward to all the upgrades.
post #22 of 76 Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Just got my URC WR7 in the mail. Once I get my IR receiver for the PC, I'll be ready to tinker with it and hopefully get the remote to control my HTPC. Then, I'm going to order the N5902 for my websurfing needs.
post #23 of 76 Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just got my n5902 today and so far I'm impressed. The trackpoint/mouse works fine, though perhaps a little touchy. My living room is only about 10 ft, but I've had no trouble with missed keystrokes; the keypad is a little small but works well enough. The only complaint I can muster so far is the aforementioned lack of function keys (F1-F12) which could easily have been incorporated into the Fn+# keys.

--

The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
post #24 of 76 Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
im interested to hear from people who own both Lenovo remotes. My left mouse button is starting to go bad and I'm curious if I should stick with the keypad that I have muscle memory for or go with the backlit one.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #25 of 76 Old 10-06-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have the N5901 and it is great to use as an occasional keyboard + mouse for a HTPC, just what I need for that rare time I need a keyboard. Being backlit looks like a nice upgrade.

Too bad it is still missing FF/RWD buttons, and it still does not have programmable TV volume or On/Off buttons. This prevents it from being a Multimedia Remote. They should advertise it as a Tiny keyboard + mouse designed for HTPCs. It works great as a tiny convenient keyboard, however I do not consider it a multimedia remote.
post #26 of 76 Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

They have another sale at lenovo. Use USP1O26678 for 50% off the n5902.
post #27 of 76 Old 10-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

I just ordered mine. Was there free 2 day shipping available? I think I had that option being an Amazon Prime member but chose 3-5 standard just moving so fast to get the order done. I'm hoping the item will alleviate the range issues I've been having with my Logitech Wave k/b & mouse combo. My couch is ~10ft from my HTPC and the mouse cuts out all the time.

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #28 of 76 Old 10-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Does anyone know how to forward from the remote. I was surprised at first when I noticed that it doesn't have a fast forward key. Is there some way to program it or something.
post #29 of 76 Old 10-16-2011, 02:16 PM

You might want to look into EventGhost. I'm barely learning how it works but it seems you can program a certain key to do one or many things atuomatically. I think you should be able to designate a key to do a fast forward action on a program using EventGhost.
post #30 of 76 Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 PM

so for those that bought the new remotes, what is your opinion on them? How is the optical tracker working out?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page