Intel QuickSync Decoder - HW accelerated FFDShow decoder with video processing - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 295 Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lol...someone offered to buy Eric a beer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 295 Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonxs View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help. Same problem as before. Any other ideas will be welcome...

Actually I ran Driver Cleaner.NET (select "Intel Extreme") after I uninstalled the graphics driver.
post #33 of 295 Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 AM

No luck again. I guess I have to wait for the next version or until LAV CUVID supports Intel.... but thanks anyway!
post #34 of 295 Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see this thread pick up. Most of my feedback came from doom9's thread, but I hope you guys can help me make a better product.
Please bear in mind that it's still in an alpha phase (missing features and not fully stable). I'm looking for "hard" clips that fail (incorrect frame rate, crashes, corruption, audio sync issues, etc).
Feature request are welcome. No Linux requests ATM - currently it's a completely different SW environment. When that changes, I'd make the effort to port.
My goal is not to compete with other filters whether open source or not. I don't have the resources to do it. As a video enthusiast myself, I'd like to have an all around better HW acceleration SW stack. As an Intel employee, I'd like to see the HW at work everywhere (and this isn't the case today).

A few updates:
* clsid (ffdshow's admin) has agreed to allow me to enter my code into the standard ffdshow build.
* A SourceForge project with the decoder's code will be opened soon.
* Hopefully other decoder filters will use my code/binaries to enable HW acceleration on Intel platforms.
* A new release will be available in less than a week with multiple fixes.
* Ivy Bridge testing will start soon.

A few playback tips:
* HW decoder outputs NV12 only. NV12 is the most HW friendly surface.
* The HW deinterlacer/scaler/etc in EVR expects this surface. Other surface types will produce an overhead due to the needed conversion.
* Try not to use "Async file reader" as a source filter. Use LAV/Haali/MPC splitter-source instead.
* Check the scaling quality of the EVR. The SNB scaler is more advanced than most of the others and it uses very little power.
* The QS decoder will work on some of the older Intel CPU models, but due to major differences in HW, it will not work half as good. I don't recommend running on older HW. Future HW will be compatible.
* Don't disable the various power savings options in your system. The QS decoder operates at the lowest CPU frequency very smoothly. There's a free widget from Intel for showing the frequency in realtime (called Turbo Boost monitor or something like that).
* EVR is the most compatible renderer, other renderers are either not tested (yet!) or don't behave well (my fault). Once everything is smooth with EVR, I'll work on satisfying the other renderes.

Eric Gur, Processor Client Application Engineer
Intel QuickSync Decoder author
Intel Corp.
post #35 of 295 Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

New and improved version. Zip files contains installer and documentation, please read.

Download version 0.15 alpha:
32 bit http://www.multiupload.com/SW88AXIEAR
64 bit http://www.multiupload.com/3QH5R6N6CD
Source code http://www.multiupload.com/GQBEQ161DB

Revision highlights:
v1.15:
* Rewrote time stamp handling code. Decoder now calculates frame rate if missing, corrects for splitters reporting double frame rate for interlaced content. Handles PTS and DTS time stamps. Broken streams that alternate frequently between telecined and interlaced frames are not handles perfectly (yet!).
* Handled unsupported H264 formats by reverting to libavcodec silently within ffdshow. HW acceleration is limited to H264 simple, main and high profiles. Previous version would crash on unsupported formats.
* Added support for WMV3 (part of the VC1 HW decoder).
* Various bug fixes and better decoder error handling. As reported by various users for the 0.14 release.
* Cleaned up minor memory leaks.

Intel Corp.
post #36 of 295 Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

* Cleaned up minor memory leaks.

memory leaks are never "minor"

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #37 of 295 Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

memory leaks are never "minor"

I disagree.

For example:
Assuming the filter leaks a few kb of memory during initialization, say 50kb (which is already alot). That would mean you have to play 20 files without closing the player to even reach 1MB of memory. Once you close the player, all memory is freed anyway.

I consider that minor.
post #38 of 295 Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

point taken

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #39 of 295 Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

I disagree.

For example:
Assuming the filter leaks a few kb of memory during initialization, say 50kb (which is already alot). That would mean you have to play 20 files without closing the player to even reach 1MB of memory. Once you close the player, all memory is freed anyway.

I consider that minor.

Me too.
Minor leaks are small and constant or close to it - doesn't really affect the app/system memory consumption.
Having no leaks is always best unless the cleanup causes significant performance hit (seen that happen in large scale CAD SW).

Intel Corp.
post #40 of 295 Old 10-13-2011, 01:13 PM

I stumpled over a decoding failure or something like that. Please have a look at the screenshot. This only happens if the input resolution is 480x576 (instead of the normal PAL 720x576). No problem with libavcodec.
LL
post #41 of 295 Old 10-13-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I stumpled over a decoding failure or something like that. Please have a look at the screenshot. This only happens if the input resolution is 480x576 (instead of the normal PAL 720x576). No problem with libavcodec.

There's a bug I fixed related to aspect ratio which might be this.
If you can share the clip (or part of it) it would help and it will be fixed by the next release - within a week or so.

Intel Corp.
post #42 of 295 Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 PM

Liked: 15
Congratulations Eric,
Great Job!
post #43 of 295 Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgur View Post

There's a bug I fixed related to aspect ratio which might be this.
If you can share the clip (or part of it) it would help and it will be fixed by the next release - within a week or so.

Well, I recorded a short clip from Live TV. But as I played the recorded clip, the error is gone. In the OSD from FFDShow the output resolution is correct (480x576). While playing Live TV (where the error happens) the output resolution says 720x576.

Here is the clip, but I don't know if it helps, because the error happens only while watching Live TV.

http://api.ge.tt/0/91tSyl8/0/blob/download
post #44 of 295 Old 10-14-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I recorded a short clip from Live TV. But as I played the recorded clip, the error is gone. In the OSD from FFDShow the output resolution is correct (480x576). While playing Live TV (where the error happens) the output resolution says 720x576.

Here is the clip, but I don't know if it helps, because the error happens only while watching Live TV.

http://api.ge.tt/0/91tSyl8/0/blob/download

The issue doesn't reproduce on v0.15. Which splitter do you use? Which player? 32 or 64 bit?

Intel Corp.
post #45 of 295 Old 10-15-2011, 03:19 AM

The player is DVBViewer (32Bit) and the splitter is integrated into the "DVBViewer filter", which is used for Live TV.

The only difference seems to be that the FFDShow OSD tells me the output resolution would be 720x576 (with Quicksync), while it is 480x576 (as told by the OSD if libavcodec is used).

And this happens only while watching Live TV. If I play the recorded clip in the same constellation (DVBViewer + DVBViewer Filter with integrated splitter + FFDShow with Quicksync) the error doesn't occur!

Thanks for having a look!
post #46 of 295 Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks for your work on this. Always great to see projects like this one.

I'd love to test this and let you know my results, but I have a quick question before I try. My processor is a 2500K running on the P55 chipset, and I do have it overclocked to around 4.4Ghz. My understanding when I purchased the K series is that the hardware graphic acceleration is disabled in exchange for the unlocked multiplier. I don't see reference to that in this thread, though, so now I'm not sure if I misunderstood the K series abilities. Before I try implementing your ffdshow, can anyone clarify for me whether not my processor has the needed features?

Thanks.
post #47 of 295 Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

All SNB CPUs contain the GPU, you just need a proper chipset to be able to access it.

The difference is in the chipsets - H67 allows GPU overclocking, P67 allows CPU overclocking (but no GPU access), Z68 allows both. H61 is a low-end chipset with GPU functionality, but no overclocking of either. So if you have anything but a P67, you can access the GPU.
post #48 of 295 Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 PM

Ah, gotcha. I double checked my hardware and I am using P67 not the 55. Which is obvious now that you've explained it, since I'm currently overclocking.
post #49 of 295 Old 10-17-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Malone View Post

Thanks for your work on this. Always great to see projects like this one.

I'd love to test this and let you know my results, but I have a quick question before I try. My processor is a 2500K running on the P55 chipset, and I do have it overclocked to around 4.4Ghz. My understanding when I purchased the K series is that the hardware graphic acceleration is disabled in exchange for the unlocked multiplier. I don't see reference to that in this thread, though, so now I'm not sure if I misunderstood the K series abilities. Before I try implementing your ffdshow, can anyone clarify for me whether not my processor has the needed features?

Thanks.

It's all about the chipset - the 2600k has a 12 core (EUs) GPU. Under the P67 chipset, the GPU is disabled. Like Nav said, all other chipsets support the processor GPU (GT2 in your case). It makes (some) sense for OC since the power budget goes all to the CPU instead of the GPU taking a few watts. The Z68 chipset has all the features, but I too bought early before it launched. I have an H67 chipset.

Intel Corp.
post #50 of 295 Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Liked: 15
a program like PowerStrip or nvidia`s custom resolutions
for proper 23.976 would make Intel iGPU the perfect HTPC platform
post #51 of 295 Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

The Z68 chipset has all the features

Just some info on the Z68 - My current motherboard is an ASUS P8Z68-V LE.
I installed a 2600k and an AMD 6870

With the computer booted into Windows 7 (64bit), I am able to use either the Intel GPU or the AMD GPU simply by moving the cables connected to the PC.

I have HDMI to my Onkyo receiver and DVI to my ASUS monitor.
Along with proper video output, bitstreamed audio over HDMI is functional from either output also.

Of course, to see the system boot sequence, you need the video cables connected to whatever you have set as default in the BIOS.

EDIT - because after more playing around I discovered the cable switching only works if the iGPU is selected in the BIOS
If I boot the PCIe 1st, the Intel graphics is not innitialized.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #52 of 295 Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

H61 is a low-end chipset with GPU functionality, but no overclocking of either.

H61 also allows GPU overclocking. In my case ASRock H61M/U3S3 supports it (under "GT Over Clock" in UEFI setup). Perhaps it depends on each mb (the manufacturer may omit it in BIOS).
post #53 of 295 Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

Just some info on the Z68 - My current motherboard is an ASUS P8Z68-V LE.
I installed a 2600k and an AMD 6870

With the computer booted into Windows 7 (64bit), I am able to use either the Intel GPU or the AMD GPU simply by moving the cables connected to the PC.

I have HDMI to my Onkyo receiver and DVI to my ASUS monitor.
Along with proper video output, bitstreamed audio over HDMI is functional from either output also.

Of course, to see the system boot sequence, you need the video cables connected to whatever you have set as default in the BIOS.

EDIT - because after more playing around I discovered the cable switching only works if the iGPU is selected in the BIOS
If I boot the PCIe 1st, the Intel graphics is not innitialized.

I managed to trick Widows by connecting both GPUs to the same display using two cables. Windows will extend the desktop to the other screen.
The newer version of my decoder will work with this setup.

What's good about it is is you can use QuickSync on a display connected to a different GPU - the renderer will work on that GPU as well creating a hybrid HW accelerated system - e.g. Intel QuickSync Decoder and MadVR running on AMD/Nvidia HW.

Intel Corp.
post #54 of 295 Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

It would still be sweet to have the ability to do that without having the extended desktop. Does it offer other modes, like Clone?

Anyhow, i'm waiting for IVB to upgrade my HTPC, hoping that it will remove the potential need for a dedicated GPU finally.
post #55 of 295 Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It would still be sweet to have the ability to do that without having the extended desktop. Does it offer other modes, like Clone?

Anyhow, i'm waiting for IVB to upgrade my HTPC, hoping that it will remove the potential need for a dedicated GPU finally.

I'm working on enabling the HW acceleration without any trickery with cables. I'm very close.

BTW, what's your current HW/SW setup (CPU, chipset, player, filters, renderer)?

Update
I managed to solve the problem without cables. You'll need the unreleased v0.16 to make this work... I'll release it later on today.
1) You need to set up another (fake) screen. Right click on desktop, screen resolution.
2) Click the Detect button. Unconnected screens will appear.
3) Extend desktop to a VGA connection on the Intel GPU (screen 2 in the image).
4) Drag the 2nd screen to the corner of the primary screen so the mouse boundaries of the primary screen will remain (almost) the same.
5) Click OK/Apply. A reboot is recommended.

6) Open your favorite player and select MadVR or other GPU demanding renderer for to test the setup. You can test further by selecting EVR as renderer, open the control panel for your AMD/Nvidia GPU and override the color settings (e.g. kill the saturation).
Here's a working setup

Intel Corp.
post #56 of 295 Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

New and improved version. Zip files contains installer and documentation, please read.

Download version 0.16 alpha:
32 bit http://www.multiupload.com/Z4PX2UFGB4
64 bit http://www.multiupload.com/QH5ZZXINCQ
Source code http://www.multiupload.com/06IZWGH4T0

Revision highlights:
v1.16:
* Support multi GPU setups. Now the decoder can run on separate HW then the renderer. Even without connecting the Intel GPU to a screen. See Multi GPU below for details.
* This version will be the first version on SourceForge.
* Updated to ffdshow build 3996.
* Some fixes to the timestamp code. Now supporting streams with no frame rate.
* Fixed several aspect ratio issues.
* Very initial support for DVD playback. Menus are not displayed right yet. WIP. Recommend not to use except for testing purposes.
* Changed mechanism for handling flush & seek event. Code is faster and more robust. A critical stage for playing DVDs.
* Added a new callback for FFDShow's internal decoders - EndFlush. This is needed for DVD playback. Other decoders do not need to implement it.
* Enhanced FFDShow's code with a faster memcpy function (SSE2 based). This replaces calling memcpy. The original source code would use ffmpeg to do it, but it crashes on NV12 images.

Intel Corp.
post #57 of 295 Old 10-25-2011, 01:06 AM

got a problem with this one. if the video doesnt have a "normal" width then it will look like this:
(notice that it's stretched at the right side)

if i use libavcodec then it looks like this (like it should):

could u please fix this, thanx

using the latest MPC HC with the internal matroska splitter (have also tried lav splitter with the same result).. this problem doesnt show up if using another dxva decoder
post #58 of 295 Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Download version 0.17 alpha:
32 bit http://www.multiupload.com/I6XHZWQP2Y
64 bit http://www.multiupload.com/OUR6SXPVT1
Source code http://www.multiupload.com/J8X9WPAKXM

Revision highlights:
v1.17:
* Support variable frame rate video.
* More stable time stamps (audio sync issues).
* Fixed FFDShow's frame rate measurement to better view frame rate changes.
* Better Media SDK initialization.

Intel Corp.
post #59 of 295 Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammelkorv View Post

got a problem with this one. if the video doesnt have a "normal" width then it will look like this:
(notice that it's stretched at the right side)

could u please fix this, thanx

I'm aware of the problem. I'll fix this for next release (v0.18).
My fix will add black pixels on the right so the image will have a width dividable by 16. Other solutions will cause a significant performance hit.

Intel Corp.
post #60 of 295 Old 10-25-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:

I'm aware of the problem. I'll fix this for next release (v0.18).
My fix will add black pixels on the right so the image will have a width dividable by 16. Other solutions will cause a significant performance hit.

is it possible to add those pixels to both sides? would look so much better
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page