Intel QuickSync Decoder - HW accelerated FFDShow decoder with video processing - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 295 Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammelkorv View Post

is it possible to add those pixels to both sides? would look so much better

For performance reasons only, I'll keep the left and right border dimensions "as is" and paint them black. Moving the image to be aligned dead center will imply an unaligned SSE copy which has a significant performance hit.
For most cases you will not even notice the black borders, especially in full screen. They are usually very slim and quite rare.

Eric Gur, Processor Client Application Engineer
Intel QuickSync Decoder author
Intel Corp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 295 Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Honestly, thats what images have a stride for, so that even non-mod16 images can be accessed with aligned memory functions. Forcing a border thats not there in the source material is just wrong.
What i do in those cases is setup a temporary buffer with the appropriate stride to copy the image to from the "slow" GPU source, and afterwards if its required to remove the added stride pixels, do a plain memcpy to get rid of it again. Its alot faster then trying to get it right in the first step (because the "slow" source only works properly with aligned access) - and if running against a renderer, it will usually request a stride which is at least mod 16, most of the time even a power of 2.
post #63 of 295 Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Honestly, thats what images have a stride for, so that even non-mod16 images can be accessed with aligned memory functions. Forcing a border thats not there in the source material is just wrong.
What i do in those cases is setup a temporary buffer with the appropriate stride to copy the image to from the "slow" GPU source, and afterwards if its required to remove the added stride pixels, do a plain memcpy to get rid of it again. Its alot faster then trying to get it right in the first step (because the "slow" source only works properly with aligned access) - and if running against a renderer, it will usually request a stride which is at least mod 16, most of the time even a power of 2.

You're right, but in practice keeping the original width crashes vobsub.
The 720p versions of "Son of Anarchy" episodes have a width of 1278. With vobsub the crash was on the first frame. This also caused some issues with ffdshow's own code.
vobsub is very popular and I wanted my decoder to work well under all conditions. I definitively don't want to query the filter graph for existence of specific filters - this is because my decoder's DLL doesn't know the graph or even its host filter (ffdshow).
I temporarily removed the drawing of the borders to gain some speed. Now I implemented a faster (less trivial than the last implementation) method.

Intel Corp.
post #64 of 295 Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't want to know about the filters, yet you do ugly stuff to make it work with broken filters? Your logic escapes me.
If you expect your decoder to be used as-is, it should not do anything except deliver the untouched image.

In theory, you can actually propose a stride yourself, make biWidth mod 16, and specify the actual width in rcTarget (like a video decoder would request it), but in reality thats something ffdshow should already do for you - i suppose its too bad for that, though.
There is also the question if the typical post-processing filters properly handle that, anyhow. I haven't tested it, but maybe i should. The MSDN at least defines the behaviour that way.
post #65 of 295 Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 PM

Liked: 11
I am having a strange problem that I will try to explain the best I can.

I am using the Quicksync decoder on a dual GPU setup. I have my screen connected to my AMD 6570 and have my Core i3 disconnected. Using your small guide I have my system setup to display on my AMD 6570 but use the Sandy Bridge GPU to decode the video. For a splitter I am using LAV 0.37.

The problem I have is with WMC. I have certain MKVs that if I start them in WMC while WMC is full screen the video will never start playing, it just sits on the blue WMC background indefinitely. If I start the video in WMC while WMC is windowed the video plays back normally, I can even set WMC to full screen after the video starts and everything works fine.

I am going to look for a way to cut up one of the MKV's in questions because as it sits the file is 24 gigs. If there is anything else you need from me to help sort this out, just let me know.
post #66 of 295 Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You don't want to know about the filters, yet you do ugly stuff to make it work with broken filters? Your logic escapes me.
If you expect your decoder to be used as-is, it should not do anything except deliver the untouched image.

My logic is that my code will be general enough to work in practice not in theory.
Specifically for this case (width mod 16 != 0) I use a deterministic approach and not query the filter graph.
Also non standard resolution can cause issues in post processing (performance hit is the best case here).
Also, for these rare cases I'd like it to work with maximum performance and quality. Adding borders is (in my mind) the most practical solution.

Intel Corp.
post #67 of 295 Old 10-26-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskube84 View Post

I am having a strange problem that I will try to explain the best I can.

I am using the Quicksync decoder on a dual GPU setup. I have my screen connected to my AMD 6570 and have my Core i3 disconnected. Using your small guide I have my system setup to display on my AMD 6570 but use the Sandy Bridge GPU to decode the video. For a splitter I am using LAV 0.37.

The problem I have is with WMC. I have certain MKVs that if I start them in WMC while WMC is full screen the video will never start playing, it just sits on the blue WMC background indefinitely. If I start the video in WMC while WMC is windowed the video plays back normally, I can even set WMC to full screen after the video starts and everything works fine.

I am going to look for a way to cut up one of the MKV's in questions because as it sits the file is 24 gigs. If there is anything else you need from me to help sort this out, just let me know.

Strange. I'm waiting for your clip. Which version WMC? The one that comes with Windows 7? 32 or 64 bit?

Intel Corp.
post #68 of 295 Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgur View Post

Strange. I'm waiting for your clip. Which version WMC? The one that comes with Windows 7? 32 or 64 bit?

I am using WMC that comes with Windows 7 and it is the x64 version. I also uploaded a 100 MB clip for you here: http://www.multiupload.com/DFEXJLCCW0
post #69 of 295 Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, for these rare cases I'd like it to work with maximum performance and quality. Adding borders is (in my mind) the most practical solution.

Practical possibly, but it does violate the original image, and is the worst you can do for quality. If a post-processing filter needs a special stride, it should insist on getting it - and not just go tits up if it doesn't. Thats my attitude to the whole issue.

In any case, it does look like i'll need to re-implement the MSDK decoder then instead of using your DLL (can still use it as a template, i suppose), i'm not willing to accept such compromise.
post #70 of 295 Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Practical possibly, but it does violate the original image, and is the worst you can do for quality. If a post-processing filter needs a special stride, it should insist on getting it - and not just go tits up if it doesn't. Thats my attitude to the whole issue.

In any case, it does look like i'll need to re-implement the MSDK decoder then instead of using your DLL (can still use it as a template, i suppose), i'm not willing to accept such compromise.

You shouldn't compromise. Using my code as a sample code is one option. Asking me to turn on/off certain features via config is another option which will make everyone happy.

Intel Corp.
post #71 of 295 Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am using WMC that comes with Windows 7 and it is the x64 version. I also uploaded a 100 MB clip for you here: http://www.multiupload.com/DFEXJLCCW0

I have very little experience with WMP and WMC. I can't force it to use ffdshow. Do you have any quick tips? I set ffdshow's merit above the rest of the decoders and it still doesn't use it.

Intel Corp.
post #72 of 295 Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I have very little experience with WMP and WMC. I can't force it to use ffdshow. Do you have any quick tips? I set ffdshow's merit above the rest of the decoders and it still doesn't use it.

I use Win7DSFilterTweaker to use FFDShow over the built in windows decoder. You can grab it at http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_p...er_tweaker.htm. You can also use it to disable the built in windows codecs.
post #73 of 295 Old 10-27-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I use Win7DSFilterTweaker to use FFDShow over the built in windows decoder. You can grab it at http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_p...er_tweaker.htm. You can also use it to disable the built in windows codecs.

What I see is that ffdshow is used when WMC is windowed and it's not used in fullscreen
If the initially windowed WMC is set to full screen playback continues with ffdshow like you said.
This is a little odd and will require some debugging.
The freeze you get is probably from another decoder.
When ffdshow is used, a red icon appears on the system tray (blue icon is the audio decoder).
Do you see the red icon when the freeze occurs?
Either way I'll root cause the problem and report back.
BTW, I don't get a freeze, but ffdshow isn't working in FS so it doesn't matter.

Intel Corp.
post #74 of 295 Old 10-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:

What I see is that ffdshow is used when WMC is windowed and it's not used in fullscreen
If the initially windowed WMC is set to full screen playback continues with ffdshow like you said.
This is a little odd and will require some debugging.
The freeze you get is probably from another decoder.
When ffdshow is used, a red icon appears on the system tray (blue icon is the audio decoder).
Do you see the red icon when the freeze occurs?
Either way I'll root cause the problem and report back.
BTW, I don't get a freeze, but ffdshow isn't working in FS so it doesn't matter.

You are correct. I double checked this and in fullscreen ffdshow isn't loaded if I have QuickSync selected. If I use dxva or software rendering in ffdshow everything works fine.
post #75 of 295 Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'd like to report some ffdshow bugs that exist in your builds only.
1. some audio, such as TrueHD causes a crash in ffdshow.ax - this does not happen with sourcforge builds.
2. The ffdshow dxva decoder is broken and If I replace the ffmpeg.dll with one from a sourceforge build, it fixes it.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #76 of 295 Old 10-29-2011, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

I'd like to report some ffdshow bugs that exist in your builds only.
1. some audio, such as TrueHD causes a crash in ffdshow.ax - this does not happen with sourcforge builds.
2. The ffdshow dxva decoder is broken and If I replace the ffmpeg.dll with one from a sourceforge build, it fixes it.

Thanks for the report.
A few questions:
* Which newest ffdshow builds were stable (3984/win32, 3982/x64)?
* What's the failure(s) setup - player, 32/64, splitter (source of most issues), renderer.

BTW, I didn't recompile ffmpeg, I took the ffmpeg dll from the latest SVN builds as is.
I don't have a TrueHD sample, can you a share a short one (or point me to where I can get one)?

I guess merging with the latest ffdshow label (3996) was a mistake although the changes were very small...

Intel Corp.
post #77 of 295 Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 248
post #78 of 295 Old 10-29-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php

Search for truehd and you'll find a few trailers.

The links in the page don't work...
I Google's one of the clips (bit harvest truehd) and found it.
32 bit plays fine with ffdshow-quicksync as both video and audio decoder.

Shark
BTW, did you check out the latest SVN builds? I use ffmpeg from there.
Any specific clip that causes the crash - please share.

Intel Corp.
post #79 of 295 Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

My issues(s) may have been specific to your .17 release.

I have since moved on from those binaries. If you have a testbuild that you can hook me up with that is not using the .17 binaries I'd be interested in giving that a shot for testing purposes (both x64 and x64). If you're close to releasing .18, I'll test them and report back to this thread.

Here is the TrueHD sample that crashed on ffdshow.ax
When I installed a sourceforge build, It no longer crashed.
The DXVA problem MAY exists in the trunk - I need to test further when I have the time.

post #80 of 295 Old 10-29-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My issues(s) may have been specific to your .17 release.

I have since moved on from those binaries. If you have a testbuild that you can hook me up with that is not using the .17 binaries I'd be interested in giving that a shot for testing purposes (both x64 and x64). If you're close to releasing .18, I'll test them and report back to this thread.

Here is the TrueHD sample that crashed on ffdshow.ax
When I installed a sourceforge build, It no longer crashed.
The DXVA problem MAY exists in the trunk - I need to test further when I have the time.

OK got it to crash.
Good news - TrueHD is not the problem, just a coincidence. My code isn't crashing as well.
Bad news - the crash is a known broken part of ffdshow - parsing the H264 sequence headers. The crash is caused by reading too much from buffer. Sometimes it works and sometimes you get a crash. Usually when the loading the file second it will not crash, as the process's memory is better allocated.
The bug is very persistent bug the but crash is not. Usually recompiling the code solves this.
Maybe the problem is not with code but the the broken SPS header, I'll make it more robust for the next build.

Intel Corp.
post #81 of 295 Old 10-30-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

New and improved version. Zip files contains installer and documentation, please read.

Download version 0.18 alpha:
32 bit http://www.multiupload.com/VWSVG172HQ
64 bit http://www.multiupload.com/AR3VDNBA6P
Source code http://www.multiupload.com/UQEUJB4WST

Revision highlights:
v1.18:
* Fixed FFDShow's H264 sequence header parsing crash. A lot of users reported crashes with the last build. This was a long standing FFDShow issue that affected specific clips.
* Added black borders to images with non 16 modulo width. Retaining non standard width can cause downstream filters to crash (dvobsub/vsfilter).

Intel Corp.
post #82 of 295 Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

New and improved version. Zip files contains installer and documentation, please read.

nice work ericgur. my ffdshow issues with your builds are resolved.
I have only tested 32bit so far, but it does look good.

post #83 of 295 Old 10-30-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

nice work ericgur. my ffdshow issues with your builds are resolved.
I have only tested 32bit so far, but it does look good.

Great!
Let me know if other issues arise.

Intel Corp.
post #84 of 295 Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Celeron/Pentium SNB are too weak to use with AMD GPU under madVR because of the lack of a hardware video decoder equivalent to CUDA Video Decoder (there exists an API, however, called OpenVideo Decode (OVD)). Now ericgur's hybrid HW accelerated system instantly fixes the problem. This method can be also used with a GeForce card, in particular, that does not have enough CUDA cores (e.g. 48) to do deinterlacing and post-processing simultaneously under CUDA Video Decoder.
  Decode Deinterlacing Post-Processing
libavcodec+yadif+madVR CPU CPU Shader Engine
Intel QuickSync+yadif+madVR Intel MFX CPU Shader Engine
CUVID+madVR (NVIDIA only) Video Processor CUDA cores CUDA cores
(Shader engine = CUDA cores [NVIDIA's term])

System used

- Processor: Celeron G530
- Motherboard: H67 chipset mb (GIGABYTE GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3)
- Memory: DDR3-1066 2 x 2GB (actually DDR3-1600, but it runs only at 1066 under G530+H67)
- Graphics: Radeon HD 5570 DDR3-1800 1GB

- Player: MPC HomeCinema
- Source/Splitter: LAV Source Splitter
- Video decoder: ffdshow video decoder (libavcodec or Intel QuickSync)
- Deinterlacer: ffdshow video decoder (yadif)
- Video Renderer: madVR with HQ (SoftCubic 100/Lanczos 4 taps/Lanczos 4 taps)
- Test clips: the same as this post

libavcodec+yadif+madVR
  SD film SD video HD film HD i video HD p video
Dropped frames 0 0 0 2774 3616
CPU usage (average) 22% 27% 56% 95% 99%
GPU usage (average) 27% 53% 25% 5% 6%
Rendering time (average) 7.47 ms 7.30 ms 4.11 ms 6.15 ms 7.77 ms
Power consumption (average) 66W 73W 73W 81W 81W
CPU is completely taxed for HD i video and HD p video, resulting in lots of dropped frames:

- HD i video: 1080i60 decode + deinterlacing
- HD p video: 1080p60 decode

Intel QuickSync+yadif+madVR
  SD film SD video HD film HD i video HD p video
Dropped frames 0 0 0 0 0
CPU usage (average) 23% 28% 33% 77% 57%
GPU usage (average) 27% 53% 25% 46% 48%
Rendering time (average) 7.53 ms 7.44 ms 4.57 ms 4.33 ms 4.16 ms
Power consumption (average) 66W 73W 68W 81W 79W
Decode is now done by Intel MFX (Multi-Format Codec) fixed function in Intel HD Graphics, that offloads CPU considerably.

Remarks

1. This is basically the discrete GPU version of this post, where Intel HD Graphics + madVR MQ is used instead of dGPU + madVR HQ.

2. CyberLink Video Decoder (HAM) + yadif won't work for interlaced contents because CyberLink Video Decoder (HAM) outputs video as progressive.
post #85 of 295 Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Can you test using EVR on this system for comparison (no DI in ffdshow)?
With EVR you'll get all the HW video processing with much less power/cpu utilization.
EVR will use HW deintercaing as well as the very powerful AVS scaler.
To make the ground more even, you can turn off or lower the other video processing features (sharpening, noise reduction, total color control, auto contrast, etc).

Intel Corp.
post #86 of 295 Old 10-31-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, Intel QS + EVR works and all AMD's post-processors will work (well, AMD [or NVIDIA or Intel]'s post-processors will work under *any* video decoder [NV12 output] + EVR ). But if you use EVR, why not use AMD UVD + EVR under DXVA API? This is even processor-independent (i.e. works with any processor, AMD or Intel). Is there any significant advantage of Intel MFX over AMD UVD?

Personally I see Intel QS or CUVID is useful only under a non-EVR video decoder, in particular madVR (or if I want to insert a filter between decoder and EVR, such as subtitle filter).
post #87 of 295 Old 10-31-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Yes, Intel QS + EVR works and all AMD's post-processors will work (well, AMD [or NVIDIA or Intel]'s post-processors will work under *any* video decoder [NV12 output] + EVR ). But if you use EVR, why not use AMD UVD + EVR under DXVA API? This is even processor-independent (i.e. works with any processor, AMD or Intel). Is there any significant advantage of Intel MFX over AMD UVD?

Personally I see Intel QS or CUVID is useful only under a non-EVR video decoder, in particular madVR (or if I want to insert a filter between decoder and EVR, such as subtitle filter).

I was speaking on the Intel based EVR...
Why not DXVA?
If it works the way you it, use it. I'm just offering a wider usage for the Intel decoder ATM.
DXVA is so complex, hardly anyone gets it to work well. I guess every HW vendor's decoder has it's own behavior, that's why the Microsoft DXVA decoder is practically unusable.

Intel Corp.
post #88 of 295 Old 10-31-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Whatever-based EVR, whichever GPU's post-processors will work with whatever video decoder outputting NV12 + EVR (I have been testing throughly).

Quote:

DXVA is so complex, hardly anyone gets it to work well. I guess every HW vendor's decoder has it's own behavior, that's why the Microsoft DXVA decoder is practically unusable.

Nowadays DXVA works pretty well, in particular with TMT, PowerDVD and any DirectShow media player with Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decode/ArcSoft Video Decoder/CyberLink Video Decoder, even if you limit yourself to Intel HD Graphics (let alone AMD and NVIDIA). When was your last experience with DXVA?

In my experience, Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (from the latest build of Windows 7) works pretty well with any GPU (AMD, NVIDIA or Intel) under DXVA+EVR, that's my favorite DXVA video decoder (for AVC and MPEG-2). What problem do you see in Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder?
post #89 of 295 Old 10-31-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

What problem do you see in Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder?

It doesn't decode a lot of my test clips. Seeking isn't working as good. It may work 90-95% but it's not stable as SW playback.
This is one of the reasons I started integrating the QuickSync technology - I wanted a fully functional decoder.
What people see in the forums are my public efforts - the code the I've released. I also spend quite some time trying raise the SW level of the QuickSync infrastructure internally.

Intel Corp.
post #90 of 295 Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It doesn't decode a lot of my test clips. Seeking isn't working as good. It may work 90-95% but it's not stable as SW playback.
This is one of the reasons I started integrating the QuickSync technology - I wanted a fully functional decoder.
What people see in the forums are my public efforts - the code the I've released. I also spend quite some time trying raise the SW level of the QuickSync infrastructure internally.

Hmm, if you don't mind, will you post a couple of your lots of test clips that can't be decoded by Intel HD Graphics + Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder somewhere? (You say "a lot". How many such clips do you find?) I would like to see them myself (out of curiosity).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page