Intel QuickSync Decoder - HW accelerated FFDShow decoder with video processing - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 295 Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gday Eric

Very interested in this thread.

Can you assist?

Recently have had a HTPC built. Am using Intel i3-2100T and AsRock H61M-ITX motherboard.

Using HDMI to connect to Sony Bravia LED 3D HD TV - refresh rate for PAL I think is 50hz (Australia)

Im using MEdia Portal 1.2.1 and have a quad tuner (digitalnow.com.au).

Have been having problems with picture quality - appears 'soft' and not quite full HD.

I recently changed the decoder settings in the MP config to the MPEG 2 - Microsoft DTV DVD Video and TV decoder settings and the picture improved dramatically BUT still not perfect HD.

Would your FFDShow decoder help in this situation???

Any thoughts??

Go easy; Im new to all this.

Cheers
JCKOOKA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 295 Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckooka View Post

Gday Eric

Very interested in this thread.

Can you assist?

Recently have had a HTPC built. Am using Intel i3-2100T and AsRock H61M-ITX motherboard.

Using HDMI to connect to Sony Bravia LED 3D HD TV - refresh rate for PAL I think is 50hz (Australia)

Im using MEdia Portal 1.2.1 and have a quad tuner (digitalnow.com.au).

Have been having problems with picture quality - appears 'soft' and not quite full HD.

I recently changed the decoder settings in the MP config to the MPEG 2 - Microsoft DTV DVD Video and TV decoder settings and the picture improved dramatically BUT still not perfect HD.

Would your FFDShow decoder help in this situation???

Any thoughts??

Go easy; Im new to all this.

Cheers
JCKOOKA

The image quality is usually determined by the renderer.
Some decoders have some video processing capabilites that can affect the quality.
Microsoft's DTV DVD decoder uses DXVA to connect to the renderer. Unfortunately it's far from perfect. So give my decoder a try.

If you can force the player to use EVR you'll probably get the best quality for this setup.
My ffdshow-quicksync will be of use if you want to add subtitles or use ffdshow's internal image processing.
EVR should take care of the rest (should connect using NV12 for bext performance).
If the player doesn't allow specifying the renderer, you can consider using a different player (do it anyway for quality check). Many players exist that allow selecting decoders and renderers (ZoomPlayer, MPC-HC).

Eric Gur, Processor Client Application Engineer
Intel QuickSync Decoder author
Intel Corp.
post #93 of 295 Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Hmm, if you don't mind, will you post a couple of your lots of test clips that can't be decoded by Intel HD Graphics + Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder somewhere? (You say "a lot". How many such clips do you find?) I would like to see them myself (out of curiosity).

Clips types that don't work with DTV-DVD Video Decoder:
All MPEG2 with 4:2:2 profile. Crashes player
A large collection of H264 (AVC1 fourcc):
* Correuption during seeks on some.
* Clips with bad subs might not play at all (black screen).
* Clips with resolution of 720x1280 (transpose 720p).
* One or more clips freeze after a seek, then crash player
* some TS do not play and crash player (black screen).
* 10 bit profiles do not play.

VC1 - not supported by decoder.

My decoder either plays them well or gracefully reverts to another decoder within ffdshow if HW acceleration is not supported. I plan to add support for having ffdshow fail altogether (refuse connection) so another filter can pick up the decoding. Several users requested that 10 bit profiles will be handled by LAV decoder (outputs 10/16 bit).

As for the clips themselves, they are shared on my doom9 forum dev thread by several users. BTW, they were tested on an Intel GPU. I have no idea whether they work or don't on AMD/Nvidia GPUs.
Doom9 thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162442

Intel Corp.
post #94 of 295 Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Gday Eric

Thanks for this. can you provide a simple explanation of EVR? Where can I download it?

Also, a link to ffdshow?

Regards
jckooka
post #95 of 295 Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Gday Eric

Thanks for this. can you provide a simple explanation of EVR? Where can I download it?

Also, a link to ffdshow?

Regards
jckooka

EVR is the default renderer in most DS players
you dont need to download it separetely
post #96 of 295 Old 11-02-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Gday Eric

Also, a link to ffdshow?

Regards
jckooka

EVR = Enhanced Video Renderer

It was introduced in Windows Vista and is used with many DirectShow based players including Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player, and optionally with SageTV, J River MC, MPC-HC and some others.
post #97 of 295 Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Gday Eric

Also, a link to ffdshow?

Regards
jckooka

Like people said, EVR is the Enhanced Video Renderer (Microsoft), it ships with Windows vista and Windows 7. This is the most advanced video renderer by Microsoft (that comes with Windows - 3rd party renderers may eclipse it) and uses the DXVA2 interface among others. EVR utilizes advanced HW video processing and usually works OK with most HW configurations.
In order to utilize it well, you should install the latest graphics drivers.
FFDshow (now called ffdshow-tryouts) can be found here:
http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/download.php.
I recommend using the latest SVN builds (alpha versions) and not the latest beta as the SVN builds are quite stable and correct a few issues found in the beta.
An alternative to FFDShow is LAV video decoder. Both are based on an open source audio/video decode/encode library called libavcodec http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191.

This thread is about my own version of ffdshow which utilizes Intel's HW acceleration (QuickSync). It uses the latest ffdshow code base so it's the same as the latest ffdshow + QuickSync. Download links for the latest version are on the first page of this thread.

Regarding 32/64 bit versions. Windwos 7 64 bit supports both 32 and 64 bit playback. You'll need to install both versions. If a player is 64 bit it will use the 64 bit DirectShow filters only (you can see in task manager if an app is 64 or 32 bit). Generally speaking, 32 bit versions are usually more stable and sometimes there's a performance difference (in both directions for various reasons).
Hope this helps.

Intel Corp.
post #98 of 295 Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 AM

So Eric

Would you recommend installing your version instead of the one found at sourceforge.net?

Regards
JCKOOKA
post #99 of 295 Old 11-04-2011, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So Eric

Would you recommend installing your version instead of the one found at sourceforge.net?

Regards
JCKOOKA

If you want to enjoy HW acceleration on current generation Intel GPU my version is probably the best option. Using SW decoding my version and the one from SourceForge are very similar. My version fixed at least two open issues (crashes) in ffdshow, so I would use that anyway. You can select which internal decoder to use via the codec's tab in ffdshow's configuration (can be accessed from either the start menu entry or from the player itself in many cases).

Also, if you encounter issues, you can help me produce a better product by submitting a report.

Intel Corp.
post #100 of 295 Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 AM

Many thanks Eric

This is all so new to me! Learning alot but a long way to go before I fully understand the difference between things like decoders, filters blah blah.

Sorry to ask another stupid question but what are the internal decoders that I should select for Video, DVD, Audio etc?? I am of course 'hoping' these will appear in the Media Portal Configuration app!!

Cheers and beers
JCKOOKA
post #101 of 295 Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 PM

I just find it stupid that the any HW decoder whether nvidia, intel, or amd needs built in instructions to know which file format to decode. Shouldn't it be able to decode anything as long as it is a video file?
post #102 of 295 Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lag0a View Post

I just find it stupid that the any HW decoder whether nvidia, intel, or amd needs built in instructions to know which file format to decode. Shouldn't it be able to decode anything as long as it is a video file?

There's no built in instructions exposed, only DXVA (1,2,HD) interfaces as well as DDI (device driver interface).
Regarding supported file formats, these are usually container formats that hold zero or more video streams, zero or more audio streams and zero or more subtitle streams. Parsing/demuxing the container format is simple and done in SW. HW acceleration is done for CPU intensive operations like decoding compressed video in order to save power and gain speed at the expense of a larger chip die area.
Since each video format (h264, mpeg2, etc.) uses different algorithms to decode the video stream, adding more supported video formats requires more HW. This means more architects, HW designers, validation and enabling efforts as well as increased die area which translates to a more expensive to manufacture chip.
So HW manufacturers decide which video formats are most important (useful) and implements those in HW.

A strong GPU may implement some or all of the decoding in a programmable implementation (CUDA, OpenCL, etc.) but this solution has a major drawback - it will use a lot of power.
Implementing in fixed function/ASIC means more effort to produce a decoder and increased die area but the speed and power are fully optimized. There's a very big difference between the two approaches.

Many older video formats are limited by resolution and bitrate. Enabling them in HW will only increase the GPU size/cost and not reduce power significantly as the CPU will decode them easily.

Intel Corp.
post #103 of 295 Old 11-05-2011, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by lag0a View Post

Its not a CPU, it cannot just decode anything you throw at it. The GPU has special hardware that was specifically designed to decode one specific kind of video. You can't decode other video with that.
A CPU is a general purpose processor, you can feed it with all sorts of instructions, and it'll be able to decode all kinds of videos. The GPUs decoder is fixed function hardware. It was designed for exactly one format. The advantage of that is that its smaller (less hardware), and uses less power.
post #104 of 295 Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 AM

It seems to me the CPU should be fed all the instructions then the most CPU intensive part as in decoding the video file should be done by the GPU but the GPU is restricted to a limited amount of video formats even though it is a video file in any case seems odd.

"Since each video format (h264, mpeg2, etc.) uses different algorithms to decode the video stream, adding more supported video formats requires more HW."

Does the algorithms use that much GPU? The Algorithms sound like instructions the CPU should communicate to the GPU then the GPU decodes the selected video format.
post #105 of 295 Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Do I need to uninstall Sharks codec first?
post #106 of 295 Old 11-05-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

Do I need to uninstall Sharks codec first?

This software is included in my current release(s) (v320 at this time)

To use it, 1st select to 'Use FFDshow's codec' on the H264 TAB
Then go to the Config TAB and click the button to access the FFDShow Video config
Next to H264/AVC click on the word, libavcodec, and select Intel QuickSync

The Windows players, or any other player will now use this technology for processing h264 content.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #107 of 295 Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Thanks Shark
post #108 of 295 Old 11-05-2011, 06:57 PM

Liked: 17
Does this decoder support hi10p encodes? I attempted to utilize this tool through shark 007's package following the instructions above and my hi10p h.264 mkvs no longer play through w7mc. It is possible that I may have made an error enabling the decoder though.

Update: upon a more careful reading of this thread I noticed that the developer does state that this decoder is not working in wmc full screen mode but it would not play in wmc windowed either? Opened the same mkv in wmp and it played fine. Hope this one gets worked out as this looks like a great tool for us sandybridge owners!
post #109 of 295 Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3693 View Post

Does this decoder support hi10p encodes? I attempted to utilize this tool through shark 007's package following the instructions above and my hi10p h.264 mkvs no longer play through w7mc. It is possible that I may have made an error enabling the decoder though.

Update: upon a more careful reading of this thread I noticed that the developer does state that this decoder is not working in wmc full screen mode but it would not play in wmc windowed either? Opened the same mkv in wmp and it played fine. Hope this one gets worked out as this looks like a great tool for us sandybridge owners!

hi10p is not supported by the HW decoder. ffdshow supports it in 32 bit mode only (ATM) not sure why.
wmc is either 32 or 64 bit - same as the OS - must install 32 and/or 64 bit of ffdshow to match.
If ffdshow is enabled, an red icon appears in the system tray (blue is audio decoder).

For those who don't know - you must use a tweak tool to enable non default decoders to work (e.g. Win7DSFilterTweaker).

Like I wrote in a similar post, I have a hard time debugging the WMC fullscreen issue as it uses exclusive full screen which makes debugging a nightmare. It's even harder as WMC loads the ffdshow filter multiple times - probably in order to get thumbnails.
Anyway it's on my short term todo list.

Intel Corp.
post #110 of 295 Old 11-06-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgur View Post

hi10p...ffdshow supports it in 32 bit mode only (ATM) not sure why.

Revision 4015 - Modified Fri Nov 4 09:04:43 2011 UTC (2 days, 7 hours ago) by h_yamagata
Re-enable Hi10P decoding in x64 build.

post #111 of 295 Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:

hi10p is not supported by the HW decoder. ffdshow supports it in 32 bit mode only (ATM) not sure why.
wmc is either 32 or 64 bit - same as the OS - must install 32 and/or 64 bit of ffdshow to match.

I am running windows 7 64 bit which explains why the file would play in wmp (32 bit) but not wmc (64 bit). I am currently using LAV but would like to be able to use your decoder because media control for my mce remote requires ffdshow. Thank you for your response and for taking the time to develop this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

Revision 4015 - Modified Fri Nov 4 09:04:43 2011 UTC (2 days, 7 hours ago) by h_yamagata
Re-enable Hi10P decoding in x64 build.

Thanks Shark007, I'll update as soon as I get a chance!
post #112 of 295 Old 11-06-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3693 View Post

Thanks Shark007, I'll update as soon as I get a chance!

Intel QuickSync is not yet in the FFDshow SVN repository. If you wish to have FFDshow builds containing the Intel QuickSync of this thread, you need to wait for Eric to publish releases containing a newer version of FFDshow. My post was for informational reasons only and was directed to Eric himself for added knowledge.

post #113 of 295 Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

SourceForge homepage:
http://sourceforge.net/p/qsdecoder
Currently only useful for source control (SVN).

FFDshow code changes where merged to FFDshow's code trunk. Will be part of next official FFDshow release (very similar to 0.18 alpha).

Next on my task list (v0.19):
* Create configuration to enable/disable certain features as asked by several developers for easy integration.
* Fix fullscreen problem in WMC (not loading ffdshow for some reason).
* Export D3D surfaces (DXVA2 samples) instead of system memory buffers. Will provide DXVA speed without actually dealing with DXVA...

If all goes well, version 0.20 will add video postprocessing (deinterlacing, film cadence correction, noise reduction, sharpness, etc.)

I've built using the standard environment (w/o building ffmpeg - it hasn't changed).

Get the builds from:http://sourceforge.net/projects/qsde...ffdshow_builds

Intel Corp.
post #114 of 295 Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

Intel QuickSync is not yet in the FFDshow SVN repository. If you wish to have FFDshow builds containing the Intel QuickSync of this thread, you need to wait for Eric to publish releases containing a newer version of FFDshow. My post was for informational reasons only and was directed to Eric himself for added knowledge.

I see. Thank you for the clarification.
post #115 of 295 Old 11-18-2011, 01:15 AM

Hi,

I recently bought new hardware for my HTPC. Asus H67 mini-itx with a Intel Pentium G620 and 4 GB ram. I went for the G620 because of reports here that it worked with ffdshow quicksync.

Anyway, got everything up and running but on some mkv-files I get strange video corruption using latest ffdshow with quicksync:

Attachment 228295

This blocking effect does not appear using other decoders link LAV video (software) og Microsoft (DXVA), or even libavcodec in ffdshow or ffdshow dxva, only when using quicksync.

Tried to search around, but don't even know what this issue is called (i'm norwegian).

I'd appreciate any pointers in how to fix this. I can probably create a small clip of the video if needed.
LL
post #116 of 295 Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olavm View Post

Hi,

I recently bought new hardware for my HTPC. Asus H67 mini-itx with a Intel Pentium G620 and 4 GB ram. I went for the G620 because of reports here that it worked with ffdshow quicksync.

Anyway, got everything up and running but on some mkv-files I get strange video corruption using latest ffdshow with quicksync:

This blocking effect does not appear using other decoders link LAV video (software) og Microsoft (DXVA), or even libavcodec in ffdshow or ffdshow dxva, only when using quicksync.

Tried to search around, but don't even know what this issue is called (i'm norwegian).

I'd appreciate any pointers in how to fix this. I can probably create a small clip of the video if needed.

Just returned from a business trip, so sorry for the late response.
I'll need a short clip and some more info (player, splitter, OS).
Thanks!

Intel Corp.
post #117 of 295 Old 11-22-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi and thank you for your very interesting work.

I've uploaded a 100MB clip to:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H8SU5P25

It's probably a really bad encode, but I get the same artifacts in other files aswell.

My system is:
Intel Pentium G620
ASUS P8H67-I
4 GB ram
Win7 x64
MPC HC 32-bit
Mediaportal (32-bit only)
LAV splitter (latest)
LAV audio decoder (latest)
ffdshow with quicksync 32-bit (because of mediaportal compability)
Also tried 64-bit of MPC HC and ffdshow but same result.

--
Olav

Here's the PM text for clearness.

I've tested the clip and couldn't get it to fail. I tested with NV12 and RGB32 outputs using both high quality and standard versions.

What driver version was used? Latest is 2509, usually safe to install even if OEM doesn't release it yet.
Can you try outputting only NV12 from ffdshow?

I'll test this clip tomorrow on an older driver.

Intel Corp.
post #118 of 295 Old 11-22-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

The first official build of ffdshow with Intel QuickSync decoder can be downloaded from the ffdshow's download page at:
http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/download.php

Same QuickSync decoder as v0.18, ffdshow itself contains changes mostly for subtitles.

This thread will continue to supply ffdshow builds for continuous testing of my decoder's versions.

Intel Corp.
post #119 of 295 Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:

Here's the PM text for clearness.

I've tested the clip and couldn't get it to fail. I tested with NV12 and RGB32 outputs using both high quality and standard versions.

What driver version was used? Latest is 2509, usually safe to install even if OEM doesn't release it yet.
Can you try outputting only NV12 from ffdshow?

I'll test this clip tomorrow on an older driver.

I tested only NV12 output, same result. I use the 2509 driver installed from the intel website detection thing.

Maybe the Pentium G620 doesn't work as earlier reported in this thread afterall?
post #120 of 295 Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I tested only NV12 output, same result. I use the 2509 driver installed from the intel website detection thing.

Maybe the Pentium G620 doesn't work as earlier reported in this thread afterall?

Can you try using the Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder (DXVA2) with EVR?
Look at the CPU usage for the player - should be ~1%. If it's higher than no HW acceleration is available. In any case please report if it works and how well.

Intel Corp.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page