Intel QuickSync Decoder - HW accelerated FFDShow decoder with video processing - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 295 Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3693 View Post

I recently tried to enable quicksync decoding on my HTPC and I'm having some problems. I followed the "advanced mpc-hc set up" guide stickied on this forum. All files playback very glitchy... It's difficult to describe, but it looks like frames are repeating causing a strange stutter effect. Not like a dropped frame stutter, this looks almost like a strobe effect, or as my wife puts it, "seizure inducing". The mpc-hc osd doesn't seem to report anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for your time,

Josh

Seems like a driver issue users have reported in the past. Most users with the problem (and similar) installed the driver from Window Update. Go to Intel download center or OEM and install a driver from there. Latest driver is v2622.
The GPU might not be able to use MadVR's more complex scaling algorithms so perform your test with EVR.
I also recommend using LAV splitter instead of Haali. Haali has some issues which I fix in the next release.

Generically speaking, if a lot of clips are causing trouble, it's a bad driver install.
Also if you have Virtu installed, use a 32 bit player.

Eric Gur, Processor Client Application Engineer
Intel QuickSync Decoder author
Intel Corp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 295 Old 02-11-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgur View Post

Seems like a driver issue users have reported in the past. Most users with the problem (and similar) installed the driver from Window Update. Go to Intel download center or OEM and install a driver from there. Latest driver is v2622.
The GPU might not be able to use MadVR's more complex scaling algorithms so perform your test with EVR.
I also recommend using LAV splitter instead of Haali. Haali has some issues which I fix in the next release.

Generically speaking, if a lot of clips are causing trouble, it's a bad driver install.
Also if you have Virtu installed, use a 32 bit player.

I can confirm this myself, I was having exactly the same issues, driver said it was the latest but I downloaded and installed from the Intel site instead and my problems went away.
post #183 of 295 Old 02-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Liked: 17
New driver fixed my problem. Thanks!
post #184 of 295 Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 357

@ericgur

Will you check BBC Life Dics 4 Plants (1080i60 VC-1)? I see lots of block noises with QuickSync. It plays fine with WMVideo Decoder DMO (as well as ArcSoft/CyberLink decoders). A 2-min clip for you.

post #185 of 295 Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Thats a horrible file host, i wasn't able to download that file, it kept redirecting me to the waiting page.

But i would wager its the known issue with interlaced fields, which supposedly might improve with an upcoming driver.
post #186 of 295 Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Version 0.27 beta is out with the following changes:
* Optimized code path to high performance on high bitrate clips.
* FFDShow rev4322

Downloads
* For the latest cutting edge FFDShow builds download my builds Intel QuickSync Decoder SourceForge home page
* FFDShow-tryout site
* LAV Splitter builds

Intel Corp.
post #187 of 295 Old 02-13-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Thats a horrible file host, i wasn't able to download that file, it kept redirecting me to the waiting page.

But i would wager its the known issue with interlaced fields, which supposedly might improve with an upcoming driver.

Yes direct download doesn't work for me too, but the torrent download is speedy.

Update:
Noticed the corruption (several times).
I'll share the clip with the driver team.
This sort of corruption in VC1 was seen before. It was fixed in a soon to be released driver (don't know the no date, sorry).
I'll check the new driver when I have the time.

Intel Corp.
post #188 of 295 Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
DHF

Liked: 18
Eric:

Let me start by thanking you for your work on this project. I am an audio - video enthusiast, and have built several PCs in my life. Most recently I built an HTPC using the Intel i3 2105 Sandy Bridge chipset. I have no video card - or audio card. Gigabyte mobo. I have read through the thread several times - and have made modifications to the computer per the recommendations here. Latest drivers from Intel - ffdshow, LAV, and the media player (MCE?). I get it to come up out of XBMC whenever a 1080p MKV is selected. Quicksync is selected in the LAV software. And - to your great credit everything works fine.

I must preface this next paragraph to explain that I understand well over 10% of what you people are talking about on this forum. So - let me get to the point. I (Captain Ahab) am pursuing the magical 24Hz (Moby Dick) 1080p playback. Before I took on the Quicksync stuff - I would select the option in XBMC to match refresh rates - and the playback at 24 Hz would be stuttery - not from an audio perspective - but almost like you were watching flash cards from the video perspective. Selecting Hardware acceleration (given that I do not have a video card) made it worse. This lead Captain Ahab onto this QuickSync forum.
Yet Moby Dick still eludes me. When I am playing a movie - all the data on the screen - when I hit "o" tells me the movie is like 23.997 Hz 1080p. My projector says it is 1080i 60 Hz. When I try to match refresh rates in the LAV software (ELV - or something) the option is greyed out - I cannot select it.
Please direct me to what I am missing - and dont be hesitant to dumb down the level to that of a Kindergartener.
Thanks
post #189 of 295 Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post

Eric:

Let me start by thanking you for your work on this project. I am an audio - video enthusiast, and have built several PCs in my life. Most recently I built an HTPC using the Intel i3 2105 Sandy Bridge chipset. I have no video card - or audio card. Gigabyte mobo. I have read through the thread several times - and have made modifications to the computer per the recommendations here. Latest drivers from Intel - ffdshow, LAV, and the media player (MCE?). I get it to come up out of XBMC whenever a 1080p MKV is selected. Quicksync is selected in the LAV software. And - to your great credit everything works fine.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post

I must preface this next paragraph to explain that I understand well over 10% of what you people are talking about on this forum. So - let me get to the point. I (Captain Ahab) am pursuing the magical 24Hz (Moby Dick) 1080p playback. Before I took on the Quicksync stuff - I would select the option in XBMC to match refresh rates - and the playback at 24 Hz would be stuttery - not from an audio perspective - but almost like you were watching flash cards from the video perspective. Selecting Hardware acceleration (given that I do not have a video card) made it worse. This lead Captain Ahab onto this QuickSync forum.
Yet Moby Dick still eludes me. When I am playing a movie - all the data on the screen - when I hit "o" tells me the movie is like 23.997 Hz 1080p. My projector says it is 1080i 60 Hz. When I try to match refresh rates in the LAV software (ELV - or something) the option is greyed out - I cannot select it.
Please direct me to what I am missing - and dont be hesitant to dumb down the level to that of a Kindergartener.
Thanks

You can set your desktop refresh rate - Intel Graphics control panel. 1080i@60 is not good, I use 1080p@60. You can set it to 24Hz as well. 1080i is interlaced output lowers the quality of the video and forces the display's deinterlacer to work.

Remember that TV shows @29.97 or PAL content @25 will not play smoothly in 24Hz...

I have very little experience with what your asking for, but you should ask in another thread - start a new one if you don't find anything similar.

I think some player's allow changing the refresh rate depending on the video's refresh rate, but I don't remember which. Sorry.

Intel Corp.
post #190 of 295 Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM

Liked: 13
Hi Eric,

First of all I would like to thank you to enable us to take profit from our HD graphic units!

I am however facing a very anoying problem. As far as I know, the way to enable the quicksync hardware on a z68 motherboard together with a discrete graphic card is either to connect the hdmi output of the motherboard to a display or to use the "detect" button on the resolution control panel (cableless setup). Unfortunately, I my only hdmi display input is in use by the discrete graphic card, so I cannot use the cable method (my display does not have any other digital inputs).

The "detect" method is not working for me. When I click on detect, the control panel only shows an unconnected display of my discrete card (GTX560), but the hd graphics output is missing. I have the newest HD graphic drivers installed (2559) together with the newest nvidia drivers. The HD graphics is enabled both in the motherboard bios and in Windows (I tested it by directly connecting it to my display instead of the graphic cards: in this case, the quicksync acceleration is available, but my discrete card is not used).

Do you have any idea of what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
post #191 of 295 Old 02-22-2012, 05:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by janderclander14 View Post

Hi Eric,

First of all I would like to thank you to enable us to take profit from our HD graphic units!

I am however facing a very anoying problem. As far as I know, the way to enable the quicksync hardware on a z68 motherboard together with a discrete graphic card is either to connect the hdmi output of the motherboard to a display or to use the "detect" button on the resolution control panel (cableless setup). Unfortunately, I my only hdmi display input is in use by the discrete graphic card, so I cannot use the cable method (my display does not have any other digital inputs).

The "detect" method is not working for me. When I click on detect, the control panel only shows an unconnected display of my discrete card (GTX560), but the hd graphics output is missing. I have the newest HD graphic drivers installed (2559) together with the newest nvidia drivers. The HD graphics is enabled both in the motherboard bios and in Windows (I tested it by directly connecting it to my display instead of the graphic cards: in this case, the quicksync acceleration is available, but my discrete card is not used).

Do you have any idea of what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

I have a different motherboard then you but I did run into a similar problem. I had to enable in my bios a setting called "IGD Multi-monitor Support" or the bios would not enable the integrated video card if I didn't have an HDMI cable connected to it.
post #192 of 295 Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskube84 View Post

I have a different motherboard then you but I did run into a similar problem. I had to enable in my bios a setting called "IGD Multi-monitor Support" or the bios would not enable the integrated video card if I didn't have an HDMI cable connected to it.

Thanks for your answer. I have a gigabyte Z68 motherboard with standard bios (no UEFI). I have enable the "equivalent" option (which refers to the activation of iGPU to enable multi-monitor setup in windows) with no success.

Considering that the cable setup works and that my display has an additional VGA (analog) input, do you think if I connect a HDMI to VGA cable from the motherboard to the display, at least windows would realise that the iGPU is connected so that quicksync can be enabled? I assume that no analog signal can be ouput through the HDMI motherboard output (so no image will be displayed), but maybe at least the signal pin would be activated...
post #193 of 295 Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for your answer. I have a gigabyte Z68 motherboard with standard bios (no UEFI). I have enable the "equivalent" option (which refers to the activation of iGPU to enable multi-monitor setup in windows) with no success.

Considering that the cable setup works and that my display has an additional VGA (analog) input, do you think if I connect a HDMI to VGA cable from the motherboard to the display, at least windows would realise that the iGPU is connected so that quicksync can be enabled? I assume that no analog signal can be ouput through the HDMI motherboard output (so no image will be displayed), but maybe at least the signal pin would be activated...

My brother has a similar problem on a Z68 MB and we couldn't solve it
I'll ask the driver team to add this feature - use HW without a screen.
There's always the option to use a VGA dummy (Google it). basically a VGA plug that forms a loop fooling the GPU. It's about 5$ online.
If you're board is license, you can use Lucid Virtu - check your MB details in the OEM homepage.

Intel Corp.
post #194 of 295 Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:

My brother has a similar problem on a Z68 MB and we couldn't solve it
I'll ask the driver team to add this feature - use HW without a screen.
There's always the option to use a VGA dummy (Google it). basically a VGA plug that forms a loop fooling the GPU. It's about 5$ online.
If you're board is license, you can use Lucid Virtu - check your MB details in the OEM homepage.

Thanks Eric.

I've installed Lucid Virtu but, If have understood it correctly, having the main display connected to the discrete card, I can program it so that the mediaplayer uses either the iGPU or the discrete one, but not both at the same time (iGPU for decoding and discrete for shaders/rendering). Is it correct?

Regarding the hardware solution, considering that the motherboard output is HDMI only, do you know if a solution like the VGA dummy may work also for HDMI?

Thanks!
post #195 of 295 Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks Eric.

I've installed Lucid Virtu but, If have understood it correctly, having the main display connected to the discrete card, I can program it so that the mediaplayer uses either the iGPU or the discrete one, but not both at the same time (iGPU for decoding and discrete for shaders/rendering). Is it correct?

Regarding the hardware solution, considering that the motherboard output is HDMI only, do you know if a solution like the VGA dummy may work also for HDMI?

Thanks!

With Virtu it's all or nothing. Hybrid playback requires 2 active adapters (active with respect to DirectX as I've explained before).
You try connecting a second HDMI cable from the iGPU to your receiver/display and extend the desktop to it. Maybe after you connect it, the Windows might agree to keep it extended even if not connected at all times...
I don't have this setup to test so this is the limit of what I do.

Intel Corp.
post #196 of 295 Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Version 0.29 beta is out with the following changes:
* Support for VFW (under FFDShow-VFW).
* Optimized code path for playback under real world conditions (at the expense of GraphStudio).
* Bug fixes.
* FFDShow rev4364

Downloads
* For the latest cutting edge FFDShow builds download my builds Intel QuickSync Decoder SourceForge home page
* FFDShow-tryout site
* LAV Splitter builds

Intel Corp.
post #197 of 295 Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Version 0.30 beta is out with the following changes:
* Fixed playback under WMC full screen. Unfortunately plays in SW unsupported profiles (only under WMC).
* Fixed a rare freeze.
* FFDShow rev4407

Downloads
* FFDShow-tryout site
* LAV Splitter builds

Intel Corp.
post #198 of 295 Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 AM

hi everyone
i have a problem in enabling "intel Qsync" in ffdshow filter
my cpu is 2500k and oced at 4.6 ghz and os is win 7 x64
vga is gtx 560 ti and it's the master adapter(monitor cable is connected to it)
when i try to set "intel Qsync " in ffdshow codec page there is nothing for selecting it(see below)

i installed igpu driver and it's up to date
ffdshow filter is a part of klite codec pack 8.6
how can i fix this problem?
thanks in advance
post #199 of 295 Old 03-31-2012, 06:27 PM

Unless your using the Intel GPU, Qsync is of no use as your primary vga adapter is set as being the NV 560
post #200 of 295 Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

HW acceleration will work if a screen is connected to the Intel GPU (iGPU). This is a limitation of the DXVA specification.

It's possible to enable HW acceleration without a screen but not all boards support this.
H6x boards: no problems
P67 boards: no support.
Z68 boards: several issues. board must have a display socket on the motherboard.
X79 boards: no iGPU.
Z75 and Z77 were not tested.

Setup:
* Install the latest driver (either directly from Intel or from your OEM) and make sure the GPU is listed in the device manager. Desktop users can always safely install the latest driver directly from Intel.
* Right on the desktop, select "Screen resolution"
* Click the detect button. Disconnected screens should appear. If they don't then you're out of luck.
* Select one of the disconnected screens (that connects to the iGPU).
* In the "Multiple displays" combo box, select "Extend these displays".
* Click Apply.
* Position the disconnected screen on one of the corners (top-left or bottom-right are the most convenient).

This is a one time setup. Now you can also open the iGPUs control panel and modify it's settings.

Older versions of ffdshow will not show the QS decoder as available. Install the latest from either my builds or ffdshow's official site.

Intel Corp.
post #201 of 295 Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Version 0.31 beta is out with the following changes:
* Fixed AVC1 streams with AnnexB format.
* Fixed rare case where H264 was corrupt and reported a huge frame rate along with horribly bad time stamps (previous commit)
* Changed behavior with corrupted frames - they get discarded at the start of a stream.
* Updated H264 NALU parsing code from LAV filters.
* FFDShow rev4438

Downloads
* FFDShow-tryout site
* LAV Splitter builds

Intel Corp.
post #202 of 295 Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM

Hi Ericgur,

I've been unsucessful enabling QSync with MultiAVCHD. I use MultiAVCHD for all my HTPC needs because of its Blu-Ray file compiler feature. I have an Intel i5 2500k processor on ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen-3 board. I also have the Intel IGPU enable in the bios and the Intel IGPU drivers loaded. I use an older verison of FFDShow which only has Intel QuickSync check boxes. I had installed a newer verison of FFDShow but it would load everything it found on my drive (and not just one folder) whenever I tried to add a file for processing. So I went back to the older verison.

MultiAVCHD works fine but my CPU is still taxed to 100% so the QSync feature is not being utilized.

Is this a problem with MultiAVCHD or the older verison of FFDShow or something completely different that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #203 of 295 Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhera View Post

Hi Ericgur,

I've been unsucessful enabling QSync with MultiAVCHD. I use MultiAVCHD for all my HTPC needs because of its Blu-Ray file compiler feature. I have an Intel i5 2500k processor on ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen-3 board. I also have the Intel IGPU enable in the bios and the Intel IGPU drivers loaded. I use an older verison of FFDShow which only has Intel QuickSync check boxes. I had installed a newer verison of FFDShow but it would load everything it found on my drive (and not just one folder) whenever I tried to add a file for processing. So I went back to the older verison.

MultiAVCHD works fine but my CPU is still taxed to 100% so the QSync feature is not being utilized.

Is this a problem with MultiAVCHD or the older verison of FFDShow or something completely different that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Loading all the files is not ffdshow's fault - players fault. ffdshow doesn't load files (except subtitles).

For QS to work you should see an option for it in the Config->Codecs tab under H264,VC1, MPEG2 and WMV9.

If QS decoder can't play a stream, ffdshow will switch to its defaults.
If your player supports it, you can view ffdshow's codec info - what currently being used - either in the system tray or the Config->Info & CPU tab.

Try using a different splitter - like installing LAV filters. It comes with a splitter (best) and a decoder that also includes QuickSync.

Intel Corp.
post #204 of 295 Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM

[quote=ericgur;21980470]Loading all the files is not ffdshow's fault - players fault. ffdshow doesn't load files (except subtitles).QUOTE]

Ok my mistake. I thought I had read on one of the FFDshow update versions the incorporation of a file loader that would load all the files from a selected folder.

In any case I haven't gotten around to trying the fixes you mentioned but maybe this weekend when I have more time to dig in if things don't work right and get messy.

But you know my true pursuit of this whole QSync process is for faster Transcoding and file processing to Bluray folder compilation. My present HTPC rig compiles a 1.5gig file in about 9 minutes. So I don't know that having QSync enabled and working is actually going to gain me much faster compilation times. I know and understand it will free up my CPU from being 100% taxed but does the IGPU truly calculate and perform compilations that much faster?
post #205 of 295 Old 05-10-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhera View Post

But you know my true pursuit of this whole QSync process is for faster Transcoding and file processing to Bluray folder compilation. My present HTPC rig compiles a 1.5gig file in about 9 minutes. So I don't know that having QSync enabled and working is actually going to gain me much faster compilation times. I know and understand it will free up my CPU from being 100% taxed but does the IGPU truly calculate and perform compilations that much faster?

Yes it is much faster. Especially for encoding. You can try one of the QS enabled transcode tools and compare results. You can get the app list here.

Note that my decoder will speed up decoding not encoding.

Intel Corp.
post #206 of 295 Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 PM

Hey Eric,

first of all thanks for your effort creating this.
Now my question: I've got a core i3 2100 on an asrock h67de3 mainboard and lav 0.5.5 installed to use it within mediaportal.
In the lav configuration I can choose the iqs hw acceleration but in the field "decoder" below it always says "inactive" even if mediaportal is playing tv.
For me this looks like iqs is not being used especially because the cpu load is on the same level as without any acceleration (it's a low level but anyway...).
I've got the last bios version, the newest graphics driver and I don't know what to do else...

Cheers,

Rico
post #207 of 295 Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
It would only show anything else then when Media Portal would manage to show the settings page of the currently active LAV Video decoder. However, Media Portal is not capable of this, it'll always create a second instance of the decoder to show the settings page.
means no decoder is active, no software decoder, no hardware decoder, no nothing. So it does not mean that QuickSync is not active, it just means that nothing is being decoded at all (by this LAV instance)

This means that it'll never properly show if the decoder is running.
As long as it says "Available" next to the dropdown when you select QuickSync, it should be fine.
post #208 of 295 Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 AM

It does say "available" so I guess its all right then...
Thx
post #209 of 295 Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi

Quote:

Yes it is much faster. Especially for encoding. You can try one of the QS enabled transcode tools and compare results. You can get the app list here.

Note that my decoder will speed up decoding not encoding.

Is there a white paper or some API details on how to update the samples in the Media SDK to support encoding to Blu-ray/AVCHD? I can get the sample_encode working fine but it lacks covering all the parameters required for Blu-ray. Yes I could buy a third party solution but if I can do this myself, obviously the money is better in my pocket!

Also not sure if anyone has picked up on my post in the Intel support forum but the graphics install from Intel for 64 bit (may applied to 32 bit as well) on HD 4000 driver version 2712 is broken. On a clean install you will not get QuickSync working. See original details here http://communities.intel.com/message/156508#156508

Regards

Phil
post #210 of 295 Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

Is there a white paper or some API details on how to update the samples in the Media SDK to support encoding to Blu-ray/AVCHD? I can get the sample_encode working fine but it lacks covering all the parameters required for Blu-ray. Yes I could buy a third party solution but if I can do this myself, obviously the money is better in my pocket!

The Media SDK had a manual that covers the relevant encode parameters. I have no experience with encoding so I can't help. Sorry.
You should post questions on the Media SDK support forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

Also not sure if anyone has picked up on my post in the Intel support forum but the graphics install from Intel for 64 bit (may applied to 32 bit as well) on HD 4000 driver version 2712 is broken. On a clean install you will not get QuickSync working. See original details here http://communities.intel.com/message/156508#156508

I already reported the installer issue internally, a fix should be out soon. I don't know when. In the meantime, use v2696. The differences between them are small.
Update: the v2712 was removed from Intel's website.

Intel Corp.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page