Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I would like a HTPC to be able to record 2 differnt channels
simultaniously.
also record 1 channel and have picture in picture while
watching TV.

?1.is it possiable to record 2 channels simultaniously
to one HDD or must each recording have it's own storage?

?2. when I program a WMC recording w/ 2 tuners will there
never be an overlap?

can I connect 2 TV tuners like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116028

to this MOBO I see it has 2 PCI Express x1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130569

I was thinking of splitting the incoming TV signal into both tuners
coax input.

Note I don't have or plan on a router anytime soon.
so I guess the silcon home run is'nt a option for me.

Thanks
STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You only need a single card in one of the pci-e slots. Happauge makes dual tuner cards that will allow you to record two or watch something else while one tuner records. The card only needs one coaxial into it so that it can split the signal itself. The 2250 is a great card.

Both recordings will go onto the same hard drive.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekscden View Post

You only need a single card in one of the pci-e slots. Happauge makes dual tuner cards that will allow you to record two or watch something else while one tuner records. The card only needs one coaxial into it so that it can split the signal itself. The 2250 is a great card.

Both recordings will go onto the same hard drive.

excellent advice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116037

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr2250.html

can I ever expect these to go on sale at new negg?

?2. when I program a WMC recording w/ dual tuner card will there
never be an overlap?

I'm assumming this type of card can be used for PIP?

Thanks
STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #4 of 17 Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

I'm assumming this type of cardcan be used for PIP

WMC does not allow for picture-in-picture. There may be a different software package that does but I'm not away of one.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:

1.is it possible to record 2 channels simultaneously
to one HDD or must each recording have it's own storage?

No problem with a single drive. When you install I do recommend making a small OS partition of 60GB (C:\\) and a storage partition for recording (D:\\)

Quote:

2. when I program a WMC recording w/ 2 tuners will there
never be an overlap?

WMC is funny about overlap and will require 2 tuners for back to back recordings without missing any of the show, even on the same channel. set it to start recording 3 min before and stop 10 min after. NOT stop 10 min after when possible.

Quote:

can I connect 2 TV tuners like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116028

yes, but the 2250 is a better option
post #6 of 17 Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Liked: 147
You get PIP provided you use their WinTV version 7 or higher:

Quote:

Release notes for WinTV v7:
•If you are using Extend, this version has faster channel changing times. For example, when using an iPad over 3G, channel changing time is about 6 seconds.
•Game mode is now supported. Game mode allows "live" video to be displayed without any video encoding delay. Game mode can be found in Configuration in the Advanced tab.
•This version now supports FM radio (on those products with built-in FM radio). Listen, pause and record FM radio.
•You can also use the WinTV v7 Scheduler to schedule a recording of your favorite FM radio program on a once only, daily or weekly basis.
•Analog recording options have been added, allowing Good/Better/Best/Fair video qualities.
•Scheduling options have been added to allow shutdown/standby/hibernate at recording completion.
•This version fixes some QAM channel detection problems found in earlier versions of WinTV v7.
•This version supports the TitanTV Electronic Program Guide in the U.S.
•Any existing version of WinTV v6 will be deleted after installing WinTV v7.
•Added Picture in Picture support. Requires multiple tuners to work. Picture in Picture can be moved around into each corner or resized. You CAN NOT switch the content that is playing between windows currently.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...t_hvr2250.html

Not sure if it is supported in any other software.

Windows has a problem that if it records two shows back to back on the same channel, it will use the same tuner for both. Sounds good at first, right? But if you have your shows setup to continue recording for a few minutes after, the beginning of the second show will record on the end of the first show and NOT at the beginning of the show it belongs to!

Think to outsmart it by having your shows end exactly ontime? While dangerous (what if your clock is off or the show goes a minute longer?), what happens then is the end of the first show records onto the start of the second show (if you have the show start recording early - as you should) and NOT on the end of the show it belongs to!

The solution is simple, though silly we have to do it. You have to setup each show to record for 10 minutes after the show ends...and NOT "if possible". It MUST record that long if there are two shows back to back. When it sees that much extra time, it uses the second tuner to record the second show and both shows get a little extra of the other show - meaning they both get the entire show you are recording.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

excellent advice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116037

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr2250.html

can I ever expect these to go on sale at new negg?

?2. when I program a WMC recording w/ dual tuner card will there
never be an overlap?

I'm assumming this type of card can be used for PIP?

Thanks
STB

You can save a few bucks and get this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815100041

post #8 of 17 Old 09-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

You can save a few bucks and get http ://www .newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100041

I'm planning on purchasing this tuner (Avermedia hd duet) for an imminent htpc build. It is recommended in Assassin's guide however he does also state that he doesn't use an ATSC tuner. I am concerned that many reviews have stated issues with the device "disappearing" from from windows. The problems seem to be mostly with amd builds but I haven't been able to find any concrete information. If any here have experience with this tuner card and could comment, I'd love to get some reliable information rather than trying to rely on customer reviews fom the egg.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potts.mike View Post

WMC does not allow for picture-in-picture. There may be a different software package that does but I'm not away of one.

looks like I'll have to use my 480 SD DVDR. PIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape View Post

No problem with a single drive. When you install I do recommend making a small OS partition of 60GB (C:\\) and a storage partition for recording (D:\\)I plan a small HDD for OS and external HDD for storage

WMC is funny about overlap and will require 2 tuners for back to back recordings without missing any of the show, even on the same channel. set it to start recording 3 min before and stop 10 min after. NOT stop 10 min after when possible.

yes, but the 2250 is a better option

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

You get PIP provided you use their WinTV version 7 or higher:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...t_hvr2250.html

Not sure if it is supported in any other software.

Windows has a problem that if it records two shows back to back on the same channel, it will use the same tuner for both. Sounds good at first, right? But if you have your shows setup to continue recording for a few minutes after, the beginning of the second show will record on the end of the first show and NOT at the beginning of the show it belongs to!

Think to outsmart it by having your shows end exactly ontime? this is what I usalley do sync. clock to channel when I record w/ my DVDR While dangerous (what if your clock is off or the show goes a minute longer?), what happens then is the end of the first show records onto the start of the second show (if you have the show start recording early - as you should) and NOT on the end of the show it belongs to!

The solution is simple, though silly we have to do it. You have to setup each show to record for 10 minutes after the show ends...and NOT "if possible". It MUST record that long if there are two shows back to back. When it sees that much extra time, it uses the second tuner to record the second show and both shows get a little extra of the other show - meaning they both get the entire show you are recording.

I haven't spent much time studying WMC. doe's WMC have a edit option to remove say 8 minutes of over record?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

You can save a few bucks and get this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815100041

sounds good, however I've read a few unfavorably reviews.
I'm researching tuners not in a big rush to compile a list of componets for a nice HTPC.

What do you Guy's think about my current portable TV tuner Hauppauge WinTV HVR950Q TV Tuner I use it w/ my LT as a tempuary HTPC.
it works fine however it get's kindof warm almost hot after a few hours of recording. how long can I expect this tuner to last?
STB

post #10 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:

I haven't spent much time studying WMC. doe's WMC have a edit option to remove say 8 minutes of over record?

No.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3693 View Post
I'm planning on purchasing this tuner (Avermedia hd duet) for an imminent htpc build. It is recommended in Assassin's guide however he does also state that he doesn't use an ATSC tuner. I am concerned that many reviews have stated issues with the device "disappearing" from from windows. The problems seem to be mostly with amd builds but I haven't been able to find any concrete information. If any here have experience with this tuner card and could comment, I'd love to get some reliable information rather than trying to rely on customer reviews fom the egg.
I have 2 of the Avermedia HD Duet's in my SageTV server for a total of 4 tuners. They have never dissapeared from windows. I ran them with MCE2005 with Windows XP & now have them running in a WHS v1 box. They have been rock solid in both installs. I record only OTA.

SageTV v7 WHS + 2 HD200s
Windows Home Server PP3 - Dual Xeon 2.8ghz
23 Drives - 26 Terabytes
Blu-ray Titles 251
HD-DVD Titles 166
DVD Titles - Too Many To Count..
post #12 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3693 View Post
I have been using 2 of these tuners in my system for over a year and have had them disappear many times, to the point where I have just recently replaced one of them with a HDHomerun Dual (may replace the other after a test run of the hdhomerun). The Avermedia Duets were great when they worked but I just couldn't put up with the disappearing all the time, to much of a hassle to get them back.

My system is AMD based windows7, and goes to sleep/hibernation whenever not in use. If you plan on keeping the system on at all times then the Duet should be just fine. I used it for OTA.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM

FWIW, I've used two HVR-2250 to record both OTA ATSC (2 ch) and basic cable (2 ch) for the last 2-3 years. No problems.

I don't think the version you linked to includes an iR receiver. That worked for me because I have an iMon LCD/receiver built into my case (Antec Fusion Remote Max).

This version says; "Now with on-board IR remote control" and comes with a (cheap) remote.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Just from reading your posts, it seems you have not really done a lot of research. The painful fact of the HTPC market is that they are not casual experiences. They are most certainly a hobbyist activity. They require maintenance, tweaking, setup, and constant tuning. I would never recommend a HTPC for someone who does not want to get their hands dirty with this stuff.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post

I have been using 2 of these tuners in my system for over a year and have had them disappear many times, to the point where I have just recently replaced one of them with a HDHomerun Dual (may replace the other after a test run of the hdhomerun). The Avermedia Duets were great when they worked but I just couldn't put up with the disappearing all the time, to much of a hassle to get them back.

My system is AMD based windows7, and goes to sleep/hibernation whenever not in use. If you plan on keeping the system on at all times then the Duet should be just fine. I used it for OTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipH View Post

I have 2 of the Avermedia HD Duet's in my SageTV server for a total of 4 tuners. They have never dissapeared from windows. I ran them with MCE2005 with Windows XP & now have them running in a WHS v1 box. They have been rock solid in both installs. I record only OTA.

Thank you both for the feedback. I may have to go with the hdhomerun after all. Even though it's not the most elegant solution for my situation it sounds as if it just works which is a necessity for when I'm at work and my wife is home. Having her shut down everything and open up the case to re-seat a card is not an option.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

one more ? on this TV tuner some shows are broadcast in high diff. will I be able to record high diff. w/ WMC using this tuner?

Thoughts on using this tuner inside this PC as my HTPC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1ez0ibzeojwyb

Thanks Guys for surport.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=r3kizt5xol1n

post #17 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 AM

yes, If you reread this thread this is the tuner I recommended in post #5

If a tuner states that it tunes ATSC that is the US HD broadcast standard. The 2250 also tunes analog and FM. Analog has virtually no use in the US anymore except for content distributed over cable
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page