Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 76 Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

Oh yes I forgot about the Zune, actually a couple of people I work with have them and they really like them maybe because the Zune software is better then Apples media software.

+1.

i hate itunes. dropped it immediately when i downloaded MS Zune software; its far easier to use.

as for apple hardware; everyone says its rock solid, but the only apple product i've owned, an ipod, constantly locked up and had other general errors. several times per week i had to go through the annoying reset process. and once that is over, you have to reload all the music, which can take some time on a fully loaded ipod.

i can't remember the last time i used the thing. at least a couple of years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

MSFT has bene offering Windows Essentials for free for a while now, and Norton, Kasperski, AVG, McAffee, et all, are still in business. By MSFT offering free anti virus and firewall it may have prompted those guys to offer their products for free, as well.

They could justify it in the name of increased safety. It is hard to sue a company for being safe.
post #63 of 76 Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

This is the biggest reason I'd like to see them do it. If they built BD playback into Windows, the studios would have to make disks that worked with it or the public would go bananas. If it was a functionality that Windows had and simply did; i.e, if Joe Six Pack could buy their PC or laptop from QVC or Best Buy with a blu ray player or burner and expected to be able to pop in a disk and have it simply play without issue, just like their blu ray player, the studios couldn't afford to build disks that wouldn't work or the public, and then Congress, would raise hell over their ridiculous constantly changing DRM schemes. Right now, no one has the clout to cram a standard down the studio's collective throat. They don't care if it doesn't work with TMT or the like.

To me, that's the biggest problem wtih Microsoft staying out of the fray.

I think the blame can flip either way...

The majority of us here know that the studios keep changing the DRM schemes at will... while the really basic average Joe can't be bothered about DRM or no DRM...
To those who are aware of the studios intentions, we know who to blame, and to some others, they will simply say the "stupid PC can't play this disc as well"

Nothing will be more interesting than MS having a say (or control) on how DRM is implemented... that will really be the day...
post #64 of 76 Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Vista debuted during HD-DVDs height of popularity but Microsoft didn't build the ability to play them into WMC or WMP. Does anybody know if there was ever a plan to do that?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #65 of 76 Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

They don't include the virus protection built into Windows, and they don't really promote or publicize it. You have to know about it and go get it. My guess is that 90% of pc users don't even know Security Essentials exists, and, as far as I know, it doesn't have parental controls, spam filters, etc. that products like Norton and Macafee include. Besides, when you can routinely find a 3-pc pack of Norton Internet Security for $19.99, the price isn't really much of an issue.

If Windows came with virus protection built in, most of those other products would vanish shortly thereafter (and the lawsuits would follow).

I believe Security Essentials shows up as an optional download in Windows update.
post #66 of 76 Old 09-13-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

I believe Security Essentials shows up as an optional download in Windows update.

And IE9 as an important update. I use MSE, but turned off the IE9 messages because I use Chrome.
post #67 of 76 Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Don't think so. For the virus protection you need to go to the website and download it. After you've installed it, it will update via Microsoft Update. I've used it on a couple of pcs, but I've never had it show up as a download, whether optional or important, in Microsoft Update (on XP, Vista or W7) until after I've gone to the website and installed it first. Which means you have to know it exists and go find it.

Defender and the firewall are built in to Windows. But Defender definition updates won't show up at all in Microsoft Update unless Defender is turned on. If it's turned off, they don't show up.
post #68 of 76 Old 09-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't think so. For the virus protection you need to go to the website and download it. After you've installed it, it will update via Microsoft Update. I've used it on a couple of pcs, but I've never had it show up as a download, whether optional or important, in Microsoft Update (on XP, Vista or W7) until after I've gone to the website and installed it first. Which means you have to know it exists and go find it.

Defender and the firewall are built in to Windows. But Defender definition updates won't show up at all in Microsoft Update unless Defender is turned on. If it's turned off, they don't show up.

It definitely shows as an optional windows update, I've installed dozens of Windows 7 PCs and it has been showing up for months

post #69 of 76 Old 09-13-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by salacious View Post

It definitely shows as an optional windows update, I've installed dozens of Windows 7 PCs and it has been showing up for months

We have 10 pcs and laptops running XP, Vista and 7, and it has never once shown up on any of them unless I've installed it first from the website.
post #70 of 76 Old 09-13-2011, 04:28 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post

+1.

i hate itunes. dropped it immediately when i downloaded MS Zune software; its far easier to use.

a.

I just have a rockboxed fuze and I use MSC to drag-n- drop my tracks. simple. no 3rd party software involved and my SD cards will also work in my phone too.

I will write a guide on making a universal SD card for several phones, standalone players, and other devices.

I have ways to get around the lack of folder nav and the lack of playlist support and still have virtual playlists.
post #71 of 76 Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by salacious View Post

Yes it shows up on my XP and 7 PCs not sure why its not showing up on that one poster's PCs. It even shows up in our corporate work PCs though users cannot download the update because of IT restrictions. It must have something to do with his/her update configuration.
post #72 of 76 Old 09-14-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Windows/iOS/Linux.... who cares...

My Amiga 6000 running BeOS 6 was playing Blurays like 10 years ago.
post #73 of 76 Old 09-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Are u surprised? Microsoft is an unimaginative company (like many others) whose top goal is market share and big enough to overwhelm the competitors. As Steve Jobs famously said of Microsoft, They Have No Taste.

Steve Jobs is an idiot. Apple still doesn't include any support for Blu-ray, and OSX is a closed environment which is a pain compared to Windows. I don't agree with Apple's idea of 'taste'.
post #74 of 76 Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The windowish ReactOS

Interesting, wonder if this will ever take off and support all of our stuff.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/24...ted-in-reactos
post #75 of 76 Old 09-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Liked: 11
Linux
post #76 of 76 Old 09-16-2011, 07:02 AM

What a variety of posts! Someone mentioned how AVS is outside the norm, and we so are.

I have an HTPC, have for years, and it does everything I want. I have had Apple products and despite the closed environment (I did jailbreak) they worked. They had quirks, and I wasn't able to work around them too terribly well (closed environment) but when it got it right, it got it right and IMO is unmatched in that regard.

Am I surprised to read people on this forum anti-apple? Not a chance - there isn't room to customize, and it doesn't do *everything* or every format. And that is what AVSForum wants, but its not what most people want.

While it may be an endless flamewar, Apple has a knack for occasionally predicting the next best thing. But its a complete package, and it does what it does, and that is the antithesis of the AVSForum.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page