Join Date: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bought a fanless Diamond Radeon 6450 HD 1GB card this weekend. Needed a new card to replace the HD 4250 IGP on my 880 motherboard. Primarily need to run my 1080p rips smoothly. I had to bump down to 720p to run using the IGP, and after reading several reviews and forum posts, decided on the 6450. Brought it home, setup, installed the 11.8 Catalyst, and tested.
- Watched Netflix HD streaming. Stuttered during action throughout. Removed HD, and ran smooth.
- Watched 2 1080p rips, with both stuttering.
- Corsair 400W PS
- AMD Black 955 (not-OC'd)
- Asus M4A88T MB
- 4 GB ram* (2 1GB sticks, and 1 2GB...odd thing is, I had to remove the 2GB stick after installing card. Got BSOD when card and stick were installed. Ideas?)
- 2 HDs
Nothing major. The PS works fine.
- If I upgrade to a fast vid card with a fan, is my PS fine? ...or will I need to upgrade that?
- Is there something else that might be causing the poor performance from the 6450 card?
my theory is that the problem stems from using a single threaded h264 decoder.
If he uses lav video, he utilizes all 4 of his cores.
If he chooses to use yadif, that again is multithreaded, so he has a multithreaded deinterlacer as well for any interlaced videos he has.
Then he uses madvr, which leverages the shaders on his 6450 for better picture quality, and possibly can solve the problem if the current issue is with his renderer.