Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 09-19-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
http://vr-zone.com/articles/post-idf...ys-/13584.html

Looks like we are really pushing towards a ultra-high res future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-19-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

http://vr-zone.com/articles/post-idf...ys-/13584.html

Looks like we are really pushing towards a ultra-high res future.

If info comes out in the next month or so that it fixes the 23.xxx bug, I might have to skip llano A4.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

If info comes out in the next month or so that it fixes the 23.xxx bug, I might have to skip llano A4.

Yea skipping is a good idea I think. Llano has a decent IGP with a weak CPU. The Ivy bridge is going to be a powerful CPU+GPU.
post #4 of 22 Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Throw in a $25-$50 card if you notice the 24p bug.

Problem solved and you get a much better CPU for future proofing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Throw in a $25-$50 card if you notice the 24p bug.

Problem solved and you get a much better CPU for future proofing.

We are talking ivy bridge here, it might be fixed.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We are talking ivy bridge here, it might be fixed.

I understand.

But even if it isn't you are talking $25-$50 at most for the "fix".

post #7 of 22 Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 PM

Liked: 148
Yeah...but it might have been fixed on the last four chips as well...
post #8 of 22 Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 110
This only talks about decoding and processing, not about output. I do wonder how they want to realize 4k Output.

DVI Dual Link is not fast enough, which means HDMI is out too.
DisplayPort 1.2 will probably work, but the standard isn't well established yet. First certified chips just appeared a month ago or so. But then, we don't have displays with such a resolution anyhow. It would probably need a new sort of Blu-ray spec before support for 4k becomes widespread.

FWIW, the latest NVIDIA decoder chip found on the 520 can also decode 4k movies, but it cannot output it.

PS:
The fact that Intel actively improved the whole 24p situation in recent drivers seems like a positive indicator that they are taking the problem seriously, and we can hope for a fix in the next PCH.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Yeah...but it might have been fixed on the last four chips as well...

Exactly if its not fixed I'm going llano.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Exactly if its not fixed I'm going llano.

And then deal with ati's absolutely horrid drivers. Neither one is perfect. Hopefully though they fix the issue in ivy bridge.

post #11 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does this mean I have to re-buy star wars and lotr in 4k?
post #12 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I question the importance of this beyond measuring for measurement's sake. I know the knee-jerk response to a comment like this is always something pithy like, "Nobody has a need for more than 64kb of RAM."

720p wasn't high enough (even though that is already high enough for the vast majority of the consumer public) but, imo 1080p is. I think I could count on one hand the number of people here in all of the avsforums that would actually benefit from (read: see in an improvement in playback, not just be able to add a link to their build configuration in some forums...) upgrading to 4K in their setup (assuming content was ever released for consumers.)

As it is, even at 10' back from a 10' screen, the last thing I hear myself say is, "This could benefit from higher resolution."

Fix the stupid, nagging, un-ending hiccups, sync-issues, driver conflicts, etc. etc. and stop dinking with pointless, theoretical spec-upmanship!

-Suntan
post #13 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Does this mean I have to re-buy star wars and lotr in 4k?

Though I shudder to think what else Lucas might change for yet another Star Wars release, LOTR might be worth it. That said, we're a long way off from consumer-level 4K being viable for the majority of us. Aside from no confirmed working medium for distributing 4K video, the cost of 4K projectors right now is still quite steep.

I suppose there is also the "too much detail" issue that will come up with 4K transfers as well - what may not have shown up on 1080P would be visible in 4K, which means that if your CGI sequences were half-baked, or the set was low-quality, it's going to show up glaringly.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 110
4k might never really be viable for mainstream. The regular joe user has maybe a 50" TV, and on those, you will never see a difference between 1080p and 4k.
You may see a difference on a 120" projector, assuming you sit close enough.

Cinemas today use 4k digital projectors (modern cinemas do, anyway). Their screen size supports the resolution. Cinema content is also designed with those screens in mind, so i dont worry about "bad" props looking bad on screen.

TV content might be another matter.

That said, if some company suddenly decides to push for 4k content on discs for home cinema, i won't be buying unless i managed to build a real mancave by then with a HUUUGE projector so that 4k is actually worth it. Don't get overrun by marketing.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
there is so much more imgage quality to be gained at current resolutions just by doing it right that I don't see 4K as all that important until you start having typical sizes around 90" inches or greater of screen.

We are only talking about some "enhanced" BD format. Television is ages away from 4K in the states.

Below is a list with TV using a PC on my 82"

Video quality is in order of worst to best. The problem has always been the PC is a real monster to get the video right. So maybe if Ivy Bridge gets it video on par with or better than good CE devices maybe.. but the drivers just don't produce top notch quality video easily. You need something like madVR which is extremely limited and it is band aid on gaping sore that few here admit. Before you attack me read the current thread on calibrating a TV with an HTPC as source. The experts will admit the PC is a bitch to get close, but it is compromised at best.

Worst to best:

1 WMC MS decoder or decoder of your choice Suxs!

2 ATSC with MadVR in J River Media Center much better than WMC through it filter chain. Sadly no Digital Cable and J River has a pretty sorry TV interface out of the box.

3 WMC ATSC and or Digital Cable via HP MediaSmart Windows Extender. This looks very good btw. Very good!

4 Sage TV - Using a Sage HD 300 going through my DUO with the Sage Extender at native resolutions. If you haven't seen a Sage HD 300 sending native resoltuions through a good VP.. you don't really know what PC sourced video can look like.. Sadly sage is no more, although it looks like the extender hardware will have a second life as the next gen POP box. Probably won't output native resolutions and no live tv in any case.

Most displays still leave a good bit to be desired.

I vote for better displays (bigger, better picture, lower cost) before 4K. And PCs do not bring out the best in displays. I love the integration of a PC but they aren't state of the art when it comes to image quality. Fix it the current resolutions on a PC then I will care about 4k, maybe.

Just another blank signature.
post #16 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Suntan

From what I heard 4K looks a abolutely amazing
post #17 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A while back I read some where that it indicates if I have H67 or Z68, I just need to take out my 1155 CPU and I should be able to replace with IB CPU, right?
post #18 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
36k and it's all yours.
post #19 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Suntan

From what I heard 4K looks a abolutely amazing

I'm sure it does, if you routinely sit less than 5 feet from an 80+ inch screen...

-Suntan
post #20 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

4k might never really be viable for mainstream. The regular joe user has maybe a 50" TV, and on those, you will never see a difference between 1080p and 4k.
You may see a difference on a 120" projector, assuming you sit close enough.

What is the average screen size purchase these days?

In the UK it's probably hovering around the 40" mark.

My 50" plasma always gets "oohhs" and "aahhs" and "look at the size of that thing" whenever someone new comes round the house.

And the other half always complains that it's too big. Apart from when we're watching a movie, of course!

I don't think panel displays over 50" (or projectors, for that matter) will ever be mainstream. Certainly not for those with a female living under the same roof. I've tried the old, "We can have a 37" LCD as the main TV as long as I can have a projector" argument. So far, no dice!.

I think the world will be at 1080p for a long time.
post #21 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I'm sure it does, if you routinely sit less than 5 feet from an 80+ inch screen...

-Suntan

Depends. From a detail point of view, you won`t probably notice much of a difference at distances above the ones you mentioned. However, what i have noticed while comparing 720p with 1080p is that even on bigger distances the higher resolution material tends to add a more perceivable sense of "depth" to the overall image.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #22 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Depends. From a detail point of view, you won`t probably notice much of a difference at distances above the ones you mentioned. However, what i have noticed while comparing 720p with 1080p

Again, we are not talking the difference between 720p and 1080p. The differences between 1080p and 4K are absurd in the consumer realm. (Not to mention there is currently *no* indication that content will ever be available, in 4K, to consumers.)

Put another way, 1080p currently falls in the sweet spot based on recommendations for screen size to viewing distance from guys like SMPTE and THX. 4K falls clearly into the "too much" catagory.

A good read on the subject in general (although it is arguing for 1080p vs 720p)...

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

He put a calculator up based on SMPTE recommendations. To see full benefit of a 4K, 50" screen you'd need to sit no further than 3 feet away!

-Suntan
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page