HTPC - Turning on and off with Remote Control? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Interesting topic. Thanks for posting all the information and options.

I too have my HTPC in the basement with an IR repeater system. I went with the "leave HTPC on all the time route". I run windows 7 from an SSD and power down the storage drives after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Just for kicks, would there be an advantage to turning off the entire system over just powering down the disks? (Assuming fans only run above set temps.) What about other tasks like all the windows updates and antivirus updates? If you power up the PC at 5pm, I'd think you'd be met with updates more often than not.

You can set your harmony remote to use the "end" key to shutdown xbmc. There is also a blog with an install package to overwrite the windows MCE remote button to start xbmc.

http://inchoatethoughts.com/launchin...-center-remote

Very interested in this thread....

I'm confused too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 10-17-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

Just for kicks, would there be an advantage to turning off the entire system over just powering down the disks? (Assuming fans only run above set temps.) What about other tasks like all the windows updates and antivirus updates? If you power up the PC at 5pm, I'd think you'd be met with updates more often than not.

Powering down the disks would def. be more preferable for me - but I could not seem to "wake them" with an IR command -
post #33 of 37 Old 10-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan26 View Post

Powering down the disks would def. be more preferable for me - but I could not seem to "wake them" with an IR command -

Is your xbmc instance on the same drive as your movies/pics/music? I can understand not wanting to spin down your OS drive without putting the whole pc to sleep.

The drives will wake up automatically when they are accessed again. Granted it takes a few extra seconds to spin up, but not nearly the time it takes to boot up from a cold start.

I'm confused too.

post #34 of 37 Old 10-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan26 View Post

Did you ever hook this up?

I got one of those last week. I put it inside the case and drilled a hole for the receiver. Works perfect. Suprisingly wide range of positions it will see the remote commands from also. I was epecting to have to have the remote pointed just right but that's not the case.

I am happy with it and have less cables to deal with. From my couch I can't even see the hole I made in the case at all. Right now the case is outside the entertainment system.

I would recommend it. I think they all come with a cable to connect to the motherboard but make sure you get one that has one. I got the remote with it too. The remote is pretty good.
post #35 of 37 Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Hello dear friends,

I really need your advice for a buy. A few weeks ago I decided to make the transition from a dedicated tvix media player and make a HTPC in order to have a full support in what media center experience has to offer. I decided for a hardware based on:
Processor: AMD A6 3500 2.1Ghz 3-core Socket FM1 HD6530D
Motherboard: Asrock A75-PRO4-M with CIR header
Memory: 2x2GB or 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
The system will run on Windows 8 and XBMC.

My wish is to have a HTPC that can be totally controlled remotely. I'm reading forums for the last 3 weeks and I'm still not sure what remote control and IR receiver to choose. The main function that I look for is the power on/off option from the remote control button and full compatibility with XBMC and Win 8 without having to reprogram and change the commands of the remote control, I'm not good with that.
As I understood so far my best options are: Inteset receiver/remote ; HDPlex remote/receiver . The only problem is that I have to order one of these from US, being in Europe and I don't know which one makes a good job.
My other unsure options are: iMon Inside ; MCE remote/receiver like Hama 52451 ; or IR receiver and Logitech Harmony® 300 Remote
I still don't know which one of these options can offer me for sure the power on/off option. Can someone give me a good advice about this?

Thank you guys so much
post #36 of 37 Old 03-24-2013, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDPlex can ship from Continental Europe (I go my HD5 in the UK this way). Works well with one exception: pressing the number keys in MCE won't allow to enter text in search boxes (which is a minor inconvenience).
post #37 of 37 Old 05-01-2013, 04:53 AM

have a look at simerec or rfpcremote.com. They only turn your pc on and off. Other controls can be can be done with a programmable wireless mouse / keyboard.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page