HDMI Audio not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

my computer is both an htpc and a workstation so it is connected with HDMI to an onkyo avr and to a monitor with vga. My OS is win 7 64. The problem is that I cannot seem to find any way to enable HDMI solely for audio while working on the monitor. Windows seems to require video to be fed at the same time. If I disable the video to the onkyo that I have HDMI to, the audio properties become greyed out "not plugged in" and I cannot use the audio.

Is there anyway to enable HDMI audio within windows without being forced to pretend it is a monitor?

Video card: Geforce GT 240
Receiver: Onkyo HT-RC360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Does your video card have a dvi and hdmi connection? If it does, you could connect the monitor via dvi as display 1 and the avr via hdmi as display 2. Then, extend your desktop to display 2.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Does your video card have a dvi and hdmi connection? If it does, you could connect the monitor via dvi as display 1 and the avr via hdmi as display 2. Then, extend your desktop to display 2.

Thanks. I discovered that there is no way one can stream only audio. HDMI works only if the video feed is present. So your solution works but I will be losing the mouse cursor on the second screen. Also I can't clone as my monitor is not widescreen.

How crazy is that? Couldn't they allow audio only when the designed HDMI? It almost made me regret the purchase of the new receiver as I still have to connect the htpc to avr using hdmi and spdif.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-05-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by licnyc View Post

Thanks. I discovered that there is no way one can stream only audio. HDMI works only if the video feed is present. So your solution works but I will be losing the mouse cursor on the second screen. Also I can't clone as my monitor is not widescreen.

How crazy is that? Couldn't they allow audio only when the designed HDMI? It almost made me regret the purchase of the new receiver as I still have to connect the htpc to avr using hdmi and spdif.

Hmm, that's weird becuase I can stream hi-def flac files to my avr with my monitor turned off or on.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Hmm, that's weird becuase I can stream hi-def flac files to my avr with my monitor turned off or on.

Do you mean that you are streaming flac to avr using hdmi without streaming video to avr at the same time? That's strange-I thought this was impossible.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It is impossible. HDMI requires a video signal for the audio signal to piggyback. He's just not seeing the cloned/extended desktop that is going to the AVR.

Edit: (this is what I get for skim reading).

Even though his monitor is turned off, the HTPC is still sending a video stream to the AVR.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by licnyc View Post

Do you mean that you are streaming flac to avr using hdmi without streaming video to avr at the same time? That's strange-I thought this was impossible.

Yes. I have an hdmi cable going to the avr, dvi cable to the tv. Audio is not carried over the dvi cable; therefore, I can only hear sound when the avr is running.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page