Commercial Skipping - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finished writing up this guide to simple hands-free commercial skipping in both Windows Media Center and JRiver MC17. I haven't fine-tuned comskip yet, but it's pretty accurate for the shows I watch. I hope you find it useful.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21184846

It's hard to keep up to date on this stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 11-08-2011, 07:13 AM

Liked: 14
Showanalyzer has been abandoned. The dev doesn't respond anymore. it works ok and is better than nothing but its not perfect. I paid for it and am still using it although it lock up and needs a reboot every once in a while.

The trial version will not expire. Just download that and start using it.

DO NOT PAY HIM FOR IT.

He has simple left the site up to collect money with no support and a half way finished product.
post #33 of 36 Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidracer View Post

I used the instructions provided at the link above and everything is working . However the folder "c:\ vscanfolder" is needed but my C drive is a SSD and relative small and some very large recordings (above 12gb) are running into issues while copying original file and conversion before scanning can commence. Is there a way to relocate this to another disk/drive ?

Think the first page in the post answers this by asking to edit the profile file. I will give it a try and see if I go somewhere with my attempt.

I couldn't find how to do this either. Also, I have a network attached storage (Unraid server), and I can't figure out how to set up multiple machines to have commercial skip. My main machine seems to be OK, but it's unclear how I use set up the second machine.

Bob
post #34 of 36 Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here's my setup. I have two computers that record TV. They record locally. I then use MCE file mover to move the TV to an Unraid share. Following the directions for DVRMS and comskip, I have these searching the Unraid share. All of the info is stored locally on my "main" computer. I could share these locations with the second computer, or I could put all of these locations on the Unraid share. I'm not sure what to do, and I'm not sure how to set up the second machine so that it uses the skipped commercial info.

I looked in MCE buddy, but it converts the programs, and the converted programs end up in Videos. That is not going to make my wife happy.

Bob
post #35 of 36 Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

I'm not sure what to do, and I'm not sure how to set up the second machine so that it uses the skipped commercial info.

I looked in MCE buddy, but it converts the programs, and the converted programs end up in Videos. That is not going to make my wife happy.

Yes, all the tools that I found that only retain the converted content mess up the 7MC database in terms of, only keep 2 shows, or delete when space needed, etc, that is one reason why I use the system I posted to retain the shows in the recorded TV folder and retain all the attributes for how many episodes to keep, etc.

In terms of path and multiple PC’s I am not yet sure I understand your question. The “tvscanfolder” can be anywhere you want. You would need to change the dvrms profile to direct it to be stored in that location and you would need comskip to process the files in that location. Once comskip generates the resultant skip file that file needs to be in the directory where the DTB add in looks for it.

Unless you have very limited local storage I am of the opinion that is easiest to have each unit function independently, IE record and process its own shows keeping everything as simple as possible.

Edit: As I re-read the setup you are trying to put together it seems the missing step is the local folder with the skip data. Make sure the output of comskip gets copied to the PC you will watch the show on into the \\\\pcname\\Users\\Public\\DvrmsToolbox\\CommercialsXml
Folder.

This folder should contain a file for each show processed that matches the show name in the recorded tv folder. Like today mine has

Late Show With David Letterman_WROCDT_2012_01_13_23_33_00.xml

Which matches
Late Show With David Letterman_WROCDT_2012_01_13_23_33_00.wtv

In the recorded TV folder
Hope this helps
post #36 of 36 Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 AM

I wrote a guide to commercial skipping a while back, and I think it will help you do exactly what you're looking for.

I also use an unRAID server, and am able to watch TV commercial free on all my machines, from programs stored on that server.

The guide includes some help with watching commercial free with JRiver MC also, but you can just skip creating the edl files, and can delete the .ts files to save space, but the end result is that you'll get .xml files stored in a common location, along with the wtv files in a common location, and all local machines can use these for hands free commercial skipping.

I hope it helps you

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371736

It's hard to keep up to date on this stuff!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page