WHS Backup and Upgrade Path - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just made a couple purchases off eBay and would like some feedback on my upgrade plan:

I currently have a WHS V1 with right around 12TB of space. I have duplication on for all of my data, and am almost full. So, I have about 5.5TB of actual data (almost all DVDs and Blu-Rays).

Several months ago, I had my system drive die on me, and after a transplant, and some touch and go moments, I was able to put a new system drive in there, and get things running again. The machine is working, but things just havent been then same ever since. So, not missing the obvious (to me) signs that its time to tinker and upgrade, I thought that the time might be right to put 2011 on the box. While I am at it, I want to put in at least 8Gb of memory, to allow me to run some virtual machines on the network.

So, with this in mind, I hit eBay and found a decent deal on the Rosewill RSV-S5, and then purchased 5 2TB WD Green drives from Newegg. My thoughts are to run all 5 disks in JBOD mode and use the box as purely off-site storage taking in back and forth with me to work once a month or so. So,

Question 1: Does anybody see any problems with using the RSV-S5 with the WD green drives in JBOD as a back-up device?
Question 2: Will I be able to plug the RSV-S5 into another esata port on a another machine and see/read the data, or will I need to do anything special to see the 10TB drive?

Once I have my data backed up, I want to upgrade the memory, and then move forward with 2011, but I am not sure what to do with the current disks in the machine. They are all sizes (mostly 1.5 and 2TB drives), but all different makes/manufacturers...so not having drive extender is a blow, but I have a older RAID card, the 3ware 9500S-12 SATA Raid Controller, and was wondering about using this, again in JBOD to create a large disk from the mess, and then just rely on my external (off-site) box as my backup solution. So,

Question 3: Anybody have experience using the 3ware 9500S-12 SATA Raid Controller?
Question 4: Any other thoughts?

Thanks Everyone!!

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKUSAF View Post

Question 2: Will I be able to plug the RSV-S5 into another esata port on a another machine and see/read the data, or will I need to do anything special to see the 10TB drive?

I don't know firsthand, bit as far as I've read, the answer is you'll only be able to see it as that with the specific chipset on the port multiplier card that you set it up with. It comes with a port multiplier card with 2 eSATA ports that are multipliers. At least, that's how it is for RAID. I don't know if JBOD is the same. I would guess so since it's just another function of the card. Most motherboard eSATA ports are not multiplier ports anyway.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I don't know firsthand, bit as far as I've read, the answer is you'll only be able to see it as that with the specific chipset on the port multiplier card that comes with it. At least, that's how it is for RAID. I don't know if JBOD is the same. I would guess so since it's just another function of the card. Most motherboard eSATA ports are not multiplier ports anyway.

Makes sense... But I wonder if I have an actual port multiplier card installed... Good call! Thanks

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!
post #4 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKUSAF View Post

Makes sense... But I wonder if I have an actual port multiplier card installed... Good call! Thanks

The product listing on NewEgg shows that the Rosewill RSV-S5 comes with one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132015. I hope the eBay dealer included it! If not, you'll need to get one.

post #5 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

The product listing on NewEgg shows that the Rosewill RSV-S5 comes with one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132015. I hope the eBay dealer included it! If not, you'll need to get one.

They did... I just might pick up a second one (card) to see if I can switch the box to another computer if needed... I just hate to think about being locked to one computer because of some proprietary crap, and then have that computer die and not be able to access the backed up data...

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page