ultraviolet plugin - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there any plugin for this yet sounds like a great thing if we could get it intergreated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernicoats View Post

Is there any plugin for this yet sounds like a great thing if we could get it intergreated.

What I've read about UltraViolet makes me think it's a horrible idea. I for one don't like the idea of an online license repository. What if the servers go belly up like the ones that (formerly) worked with WalMart or MSN or YaHoo...Google 'drm servers shut down' and tell me how great that would be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

What I've read about UltraViolet makes me think it's a horrible idea. I for one don't like the idea of an online license repository. What if the servers go belly up like the ones that (formerly) worked with WalMart or MSN or YaHoo...Google 'drm servers shut down' and tell me how great that would be.

I love the idea. I imagining it to be like Steam.

Just remember, you can get a physical disc with UltraViolet. I don't see any downsides.

Get a UltraViolet licsense + disc. If ultraviolet does die, you still have disc so no harm.

I hate the studios, but seems like this is they're best thing in a while.

Would you rather buy the VHS, then buy the DVD, then buy the Blu-ray. THAT MAKES NO SENSE!

Buying the same move three or more times is stupid, and I refuse to do it.
I think that if I own the VHS I have the right to freely get it on Blu-ray or pay only $1 for upgrade to new medium. UltraViolet appears to explicitly give us this.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper87 View Post

I think that if I own the VHS I have the right to freely get it on Blu-ray or pay only $1 for upgrade to new medium. UltraViolet appears to explicitly give us this.

Nope, only one physical copy allowed. And you will only have a year to obtain that physical copy. Not to mention that all these features may or may not be available because they are all optional to the retailer/studio.

(underlined for emphasis)
Quote:

Physical copy option

When consumers make purchases of UltraViolet rights for digital use (i.e. not buying a disc, but rather buying download/streaming rights), they may also be offered the opportunity to buy a version of that UltraViolet-enabled title that allows them to have a single physical-media copy (e.g. the title on DVD or flash memory). Consumers who have not previously obtained a physical copy may also be able to later purchase an "add on" option for a physical copy from the same retailer or a different retailer. Whether these options are available, and the details of how they work, may vary by retailer and by title. If consumers choose to purchase UltraViolet rights that include this option for a physical media copy, they will have one year from the date of purchase during which the selling UltraViolet retailer must facilitate them obtaining the copy, at no charge above the original purchase price.

I see this as an extention of the b.s. "Digital Copy": The "freedom" to watch my movies the way they want.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I see this as an extention of the b.s. "Digital Copy": The "freedom" to watch my movies the way they want.

I didn't see that page with all that fine print stuff.

Lame. No doubt "Digital Copy" was complete garbage. I was hopeful UV would be an actual solution.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it had a lot of potential though. Too bad.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 AM

What... You can't buy items direct from the UV website. That seems entirely stupid. So we have to look explicitly look for UV retailers and logos. No where on the website do I see a "buy here". Alls I see is "look for the logo"

The more deep I go into UV, the more it sucks.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

That's exactly what I thought too.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper87 View Post

I love the idea. I imagining it to be like Steam.

Just remember, you can get a physical disc with UltraViolet. I don't see any downsides.

Get a UltraViolet licsense + disc. If ultraviolet does die, you still have disc so no harm.

I hate the studios, but seems like this is they're best thing in a while.

Would you rather buy the VHS, then buy the DVD, then buy the Blu-ray. THAT MAKES NO SENSE!

Buying the same move three or more times is stupid, and I refuse to do it.

I have to counter with if you buy the physical media in the first place, you can create your own portable digital copy and store it 'in the cloud' if you want.

post #10 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I have to counter with if you buy the physical media in the first place, you can create your own portable digital copy and store it 'in the cloud' if you want.

Well, the reason why some sort of online license might make sense is movies are huge. Even a 700MB portable copy or something it wouldn't be feasible on my slow upload speed to send my movie collection.

I initially thought it was going to be like a $15 license per movie then if you want the DVD, you pay a $1 for that. If you also want the BD you pay $2 for that. Without any restrictions. But obviously that didn't happen.

In my defense, the main web pages seemed decent. Clearly there seems to be misleading statements like this one (which sounds good).

Quote:

No Special Equipment

You don't need any special equipment or additional technology to enjoy your UltraViolet Library - watch on the devices you already own today!

But then you find the fine print and see this:

Quote:

Downloads
UltraViolet titles will soon be available from all UltraViolet participating retailers in a standard downloadable file format that will work on all UltraViolet-compatible media players apps and devices, and which can be copied from one UltraViolet-compatible app/device to another.

Certainly sounds like I would need special equipment and additional technology. I would need an UltraViolet compatible player and or device.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the reason why some sort of online license might make sense is movies are huge. Even a 700MB portable copy or something it wouldn't be feasible on my slow upload speed to send my movie collection.

True that. But instead of more DRM maybe we need Amazon or WalMart to step up to the plate and offer free or reduced price streaming with disk purchase...

post #12 of 12 Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 PM

I haven't even read the fine print because I don't need to. Back when UV was first announced, my friends were optimistic, but I had supreme confidence that they would find some way to c--k this up. I never wasted a minute hoping for something cool from the people who brought you Digital Copy. I have my entire collection on my own sever streaming throughout my house, and to my mobile devices over the web, thank you very much. If you want something done right, you'll have to do it yourself.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page