Whole-house HTPC Options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been toying with the idea of building an HTPC and ditching my satellite service, but Mrs. NCSU really likes the whole-house DVR feature.

We have 3 TVs: One in our family room (main TV), one in our bedroom, and one in our guest bedroom. We would ideally like to be able to stream netflix and hulu/hulu plus, stream recorded TV, and watch live TV at any location.

Could I get by with an HTPC in the family room and 2 extenders? Would I be better off using XBox360s as extenders (no hulu) or building 2 inexpensive nettops?

Oh, and one final monkey wrench in the plan: I'd be getting cable service from Time Warner, who, as I understand it, flags everything as protected. Is there any way to circumvent their flags?

Sorry for the rambling, but I hope that made some sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbglantoNCSU View Post

I've been toying with the idea of building an HTPC and ditching my satellite service, but Mrs. NCSU really likes the whole-house DVR feature.

We have 3 TVs: One in our family room (main TV), one in our bedroom, and one in our guest bedroom. We would ideally like to be able to stream netflix and hulu/hulu plus, stream recorded TV, and watch live TV at any location.

Could I get by with an HTPC in the family room and 2 extenders? Would I be better off using XBox360s as extenders (no hulu) or building 2 inexpensive nettops?

Oh, and one final monkey wrench in the plan: I'd be getting cable service from Time Warner, who, as I understand it, flags everything as protected. Is there any way to circumvent their flags?

Sorry for the rambling, but I hope that made some sense.

Currently the 360 is the only extender available new. You're pretty much stuck with that if you want real extenders. You can still pick up the discontinued purpose built extenders on ebay. Building a PC won't work as an extender as it will have issues with copy protected content. I'm pretty much planning on the same thing. I have the htpc with the ceton running in the main room and it will service a couple extenders throughout the house.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Hulu Plus is available on the XBOX through the dashboard. I use both Netflix and Hulu Plus by exiting extender-mode and going back to the dashboard.

I thought I'd hate having to go back to the dashboard, but i actually don't mind it too much. Since I can do it all with the remote, it really isn't that bad.

I believe there is a way to ge them to show in the MCE menus, but I haven't really explored that.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page