Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #331 of 2276 Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What do you guys think I could get for a few month old Prime? I am having network issues and really think I would be better off with the ceton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 2276 Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I'll come down to the OC and take it off your hands if it's giving you troubles..

post #333 of 2276 Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If your serious I'm down but obviously I want to sell it.
post #334 of 2276 Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Pondering this.

What CATVCo do you have? TWC?

What are the "network issues" you are having?

post #335 of 2276 Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Pondering this.

I shipped it back to amazon for a refund 6 months later. Amazon is awesome. They said possibly a partial but I paid $250 so it should cover a ceton.
post #336 of 2276 Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

For those that needed a signal booster for their cable, which one did you choose and why? Looking for the cheapest effective alternative I can find.

I was having some issues with interrupted recordings and error messages saying 'NO TV SIGNAL' even though the program was recording fine. I started a thread here with more details but while the two appeared to be related I never got that pop-up when a recording was actually interrupted. The only way I knew was when I would begin watching a program and it would only be 5min, 10min or half the total length with an error saying signal was lost while recording. I would also occasionally get a message saying network issues when I would first turn on an Xbox and start streaming and it would want me to run a Network test which I would do and every time I would get a report saying it was fine and on the graphic display it would have all the bars maxed out as well. Ugh.

So, I disabled the pop-up as that didn't seem to signal when I was actually having issues with my recordings anyway. I also recently discovered that Multicast on my router running Tomato firmware is set to not allow by default. I'm going to run it enabled for a bit and see if that helps. If not I'm going to add an in-line signal booster to see if the issue is addressed.

I picked one up at Radio Shack for about $30-$40. My signal strength went from 80% to 99-100%.
post #337 of 2276 Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Where are you guys getting the signal strength reading from? Because I get 100% signal on the Prime page (3.1 dBmV), and yet I still get random notices about not being able to record a show or tune a channel...even though it usually ends up succeeding anyway.

I am stuck with the tuning adapter as well.
post #338 of 2276 Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
is 83% a good signal strength?
post #339 of 2276 Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Where are you guys getting the signal strength reading from? Because I get 100% signal on the Prime page (3.1 dBmV), and yet I still get random notices about not being able to record a show or tune a channel...even though it usually ends up succeeding anyway.

I am stuck with the tuning adapter as well.

if u go to your HDHomeRun Config(GUI) it under the OOB tab
post #340 of 2276 Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

if u go to your HDHomeRun Config(GUI) it under the OOB tab

So....all 3 tuners have 100% for both signals. Why do I still get that message sometimes
post #341 of 2276 Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

So....all 3 tuners have 100% for both signals. Why do I still get that message sometimes

In addition to 100% what do you have for SNR and Signal Level?
I have SNR of around 36 and Signal Level between 5 - 7 mvDB

I confirmed in other threads that the values I have are good and I was still getting "Weak TV Signal" for recordings only - never in live TV. I opened a ticket with HDHR support and I was told to download latest beta software from this link
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2484

Additionally I was asked to enable diagnostics in config tab. Strange thing is that since I did this I have not seen this issue at all.
post #342 of 2276 Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pondering this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I shipped it back to amazon for a refund 6 months later. Amazon is awesome. They said possibly a partial but I paid $250 so it should cover a ceton.

That is sweet.

As I am considering getting a HDHR Prime, I'm wondering what sort of network issues you are having and if maybe it is a problem with the hardware of ealier units that might be causing it or if it is just not working well for you or if it is a problem typical of these that others are experiencing too.

Thanks..

post #343 of 2276 Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had my network on mine quit exactly once but I was able to get it going again when I fired up the other PC here that was working, which then found the Prime and for whatever reason it made my PC here happy too as before I couldn't get it to rejoin the network at all after trying a bunch of stuff. It could have been a of of issues for WB, from his network card , something about the way his OS and media center are working, maybe his units were bad, who knows.
Luckily I haven't totally missed any recordings yet and mine continues to just work so I'd say most users are happy, just like it seems the Ceton users are very happy with their units, especially the PCI versions I guess.
It would be nice to have a totally standalone unit so you don't have to have any computers tied to it and running but now that I have it and my sleep mode works it seems a small price to pay for all the cool stuff it does.
Sounds like that new Ceton Q 6 tuner thing is possibly fully standalone but I can't justify the money it will cost, but for those that can it sounds like a great unit.
post #344 of 2276 Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post

I picked one up at Radio Shack for about $30-$40. My signal strength went from 80% to 99-100%.

Any links or brand names or hints on what specifically to look for so I get the right thing? Were you having similar problems as I've described prior to getting a booster?

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #345 of 2276 Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Motorola 4 port drop amp that's made for satellite/cable and is bidirectional so the box can talk back so On Demand and Pay Per View still work. I had the single outlet one then had to upgrade to the 4 port for all the extra QAM and other tuners I've added.
There are others that would work but it is a quality built unit with decent specs and it works. It is labeled broadband so it works for the net too but here is the one I have now http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details.
They also have the smaller version I had before and you can search for others with similar specs if this is too spendy for you.
post #346 of 2276 Old 03-24-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I have a Motorola 4 port drop amp that's made for satellite/cable and is bidirectional so the box can talk back so On Demand and Pay Per View still work. I had the single outlet one then had to upgrade to the 4 port for all the extra QAM and other tuners I've added.
There are others that would work but it is a quality built unit with decent specs and it works. It is labeled broadband so it works for the net too but here is the one I have now http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details.
They also have the smaller version I had before and you can search for others with similar specs if this is too spendy for you.

We don't use Pay Per View at all so that doesn't interest me. My wife did use OnDemand when we had it so I was sorry to see it go when we went to the HDHR Prime setup. I wouldn't mine having it back but I'm not sure it's worth $57 to us if we can get something that will boost the signal just as well w/o the two-way for a lot less. It's nice to know now that this exists but I'm not sure that it's not overkill for our needs.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #347 of 2276 Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is sweet.

As I am considering getting a HDHR Prime, I'm wondering what sort of network issues you are having and if maybe it is a problem with the hardware of ealier units that might be causing it or if it is just not working well for you or if it is a problem typical of these that others are experiencing too.

Thanks..

I honestly don't know what the deal is. It worked great. Then I noticed quite a bit of pixelation in my recordings. Errors and such. Tried some recommended things like isolating the Hdhr on its own switch. Didn't help. So I grabbed an Intel nic card and that seemed to fix it for a week or so. But now it's happening again. It would just be easier for me to rule out the network. Wanted the ceton to begin with but it was much more expensive than it is now.
post #348 of 2276 Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We don't use Pay Per View at all so that doesn't interest me. My wife did use OnDemand when we had it so I was sorry to see it go when we went to the HDHR Prime setup. I wouldn't mine having it back but I'm not sure it's worth $57 to us if we can get something that will boost the signal just as well w/o the two-way for a lot less. It's nice to know now that this exists but I'm not sure that it's not overkill for our needs.

Well there is the single port version, and there are plenty of other drop amps that do the same for a lot less money like I said but my first one worked really well for me so I ordered the bigger one once I needed it. They do go on sale from time to time too so if you think you'd like it except for the price watch for a sale, and other places sell them too. I paid 51 bucks for mine with free shipping so not a great price but it always works and everything else works too.
post #349 of 2276 Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Well there is the single port version, and there are plenty of other drop amps that do the same for a lot less money like I said but my first one worked really well for me so I ordered the bigger one once I needed it. They do go on sale from time to time too so if you think you'd like it except for the price watch for a sale, and other places sell them too. I paid 51 bucks for mine with free shipping so not a great price but it always works and everything else works too.

Drop amps? I don't know the first thing about these devices.

For instance, how does this for only $5 differ from the one you posted?

If someone could simply link me to a basic $20ish item that will fit my needs I would appreciate it. Once I see one I can know what it is I'm looking for to look for others and compare the differences and what not.

Jer

post #350 of 2276 Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any links or brand names or hints on what specifically to look for so I get the right thing? Were you having similar problems as I've described prior to getting a booster?

It's a Radio Shack brand. This is the one I bought.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103092
post #351 of 2276 Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post

It's a Radio Shack brand. This is the one I bought.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103092

Thank you.

I appreciate you posting this and it looks like it's bidirectional as well so we would get OnDemand back running Prime tuners? So far -knocks on wood- I haven't had any issues with recorded material so I'm hoping that tweak I made on my router as mentioned above was my solution. That being said if this device also restores the ability for my wife to use OnDemand it may be worth the $29.99. My only concern is that if everything is working fine I don't want to overboost the signal and introduce interference or other issues that bring my symptoms back. I will hold onto this for sure and the instant I get one program that fails to record fully due to supposed single issues I will race down to RS to buy one and throw it in line.

I have a couple questions though. Do you put this at the start of the feed near where it comes in the house or at the end of the feed near where it splits to modem & tuners? Logic says you want to amplify the pure signal near the beginning but I've seen some say you want it near your device which would also amplify any interference or issues that are present.

Secondly, how does OnDemand work on a Prime tuner if you add one of these? Do you just go to a channel to access the OnDemand menu or ??

Jer

post #352 of 2276 Old 03-26-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Secondly, how does OnDemand work on a Prime tuner if you add one of these? Do you just go to a channel to access the OnDemand menu or ??

In short, it doesn't. Neither the Prime, nor the Ceton, nor TiVo (although there is talk of allowing it on the TiVo Premier) can access OnDemand and Pay Per View, regardless of whether a two way drop amp is used.
post #353 of 2276 Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 View Post

In short, it doesn't. Neither the Prime, nor the Ceton, nor TiVo (although there is talk of allowing it on the TiVo Premier) can access OnDemand and Pay Per View, regardless of whether a two way drop amp is used.

Oh, well that's important information. What is the cheapest booster that works that does NOT have the bidirectional functionality since it won't do me any good?

Jer

post #354 of 2276 Old 03-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Oh, well that's important information. What is the cheapest booster that works that does NOT have the bidirectional functionality since it won't do me any good?

Can't help you there. I'm still using the three Motorola bidirectional amps that I was using on my Comcast boxes and DVR before I switched to the Prime. Haven't had a lick of trouble with them.
post #355 of 2276 Old 03-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 View Post

The best option for OnDemand is an Xbox 360. Verizon FiOS already has their app and Comcast Xfinity should be coming in a month.

Personally, I've built a good OnDemand library using Media Browser. Much higher quality and more personal interest.
post #356 of 2276 Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

The best option for OnDemand is an Xbox 360. Verizon FiOS already has their app and Comcast Xfinity should be coming in a month.

Personally, I've built a good OnDemand library using Media Browser. Much higher quality and more personal interest.

We use three XBox 360's so I'm patiently awaiting a Comcast/Xfinity app but currently there is no solution. When someone mentioned you could get it back with a bidirectional booster I thought it was 2 birds 1 stone but perhaps not. As for building your own library I have quit the extensive HD library but there are still some things OnDemand were handy for. My wife used it quite a bit for some TV series and stuff so it was nice to not have to worry about downloading and storing EVERYTHING which is what I currently do. Having a series that you can stream rather than download in it's entirety is nice so it would be nice to have back. I'm not lost w/o it though.

Jer

post #357 of 2276 Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Things have been running great for 4 months now and today everything has sh*t the bed. Now WMC on all my HTPCs gets the "No Signal" message. QuickTV is fine and as a matter of fact, if I tune the channel in QuickTV I can tune it in WMC at the same time. If I stop it in QuickTV if goes back to showing the error in WMC. It's strange this is happening on every HTPC at once. I see no Windows Updates since last night -- the last time everything was working. This only happens with CableCard channels. If I tune a channel that just uses the HDHR it's fine. I've tried everything in the SD forum threads to no avail. Craziness.

[Edit]Actually, it's even weirder than this. If I tune QuickTV to a CableCard channel and leave it up, then WMC can tune any CableCard channel.

post #358 of 2276 Old 03-27-2012, 06:10 AM

Liked: 10
What firmware are you running?
post #359 of 2276 Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you.

I appreciate you posting this and it looks like it's bidirectional as well so we would get OnDemand back running Prime tuners?

I have a couple questions though. Do you put this at the start of the feed near where it comes in the house or at the end of the feed near where it splits to modem & tuners?

It won't let you do OnDemand, as others have pointed out, but I installed my right next to the Prime. With a short 2 foot drop running from the amp to the Prime.
post #360 of 2276 Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Things have been running great for 4 months now and today everything has sh*t the bed. Now WMC on all my HTPCs gets the "No Signal" message. QuickTV is fine and as a matter of fact, if I tune the channel in QuickTV I can tune it in WMC at the same time. If I stop it in QuickTV if goes back to showing the error in WMC. It's strange this is happening on every HTPC at once. I see no Windows Updates since last night -- the last time everything was working. This only happens with CableCard channels. If I tune a channel that just uses the HDHR it's fine. I've tried everything in the SD forum threads to no avail. Craziness.

[Edit]Actually, it's even weirder than this. If I tune QuickTV to a CableCard channel and leave it up, then WMC can tune any CableCard channel.

I've had similar things happen, where I can tune in QuickTV but not WMC. I typically have to then re-run the HDHomerun setup at, clicking on the "repair media center" button on the last tab, and then in some cases re-run the "Setup TV signal" within WMC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page