post #361 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post

I've had similar things happen, where I can tune in QuickTV but not WMC. I typically have to then re-run the HDHomerun setup at, clicking on the "repair media center" button on the last tab, and then in some cases re-run the "Setup TV signal" within WMC.

I've done all of the following to no avail:
- Reboot, warm and cold all HTPCs
- Soft reset from command line of HDHRPrime
- Power reset of HDHRPrime
- Uninstall HDHomeRun software and reinstall
- Turn off Media Center features and turn them back on (reinstall WMC)
- Change logon user for MC Receiver service
- Update HDHomeRun software
- Perform "repair" through HDHomeRun setup
- Rerun TV signal setup several times in various configurations
- Tear my hair out and lose valuable WAF points
- Change VTC settings, trying every selection

Hopefully someone from SD will answer my post there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

Oh, well that's important information. What is the cheapest booster that works that does NOT have the bidirectional functionality since it won't do me any good?

If your CableCo requires TA for SDV, you still need the bidirectional amp. The best cable amp is called drop amp which should be less noisy than your RadioShack brands and free from your cable company. It is their job to maintain your cable signal level. If it is too low, call them up and ask for a drop amp to be installed.

The amps you buy at RadioShack or Best buy are typically useless. They do raise the signal level but also the noise level so you ended up with nothing gained. Cable Amp needs to be installed at the place before it enters into your house to get the best result. Hence it is called drop amp.
post #363 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

The best option for OnDemand is an Xbox 360. Verizon FiOS already has their app and Comcast Xfinity should be coming in a month.

It's here. Launched today.

Go to:

Marketplace
Apps Download
Genre
Movies
Xfinity TV
Download to XBOX
post #364 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I am considering this product but before I plunk down $170 to $200, what is the consensus? Is it worth it? What sort of problems are you experiencing. I'm not interested in absolute praise but honest feedback before taking the plunge.

Thanks.

post #365 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
It was flawless until yesterday.

post #366 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I am considering this product but before I plunk down $170 to $200, what is the consense? Is it worth it? What sort of problems are you experiencing. I'm not interested in absolute praise but honest feedback before taking the plunge.

Thanks.

Definitely worth it to me. Had initial problems with Comcast getting the CableCARD provisioned correctly, but once I worked through that, I've had almost no problems since last Fall. Ditched my Comcast boxes and DVR last November and not looking back.

The manufacturer, SiliconDust, maintains a very active support forum and provides frequent software/firmware updates as necessary.

If you plan to use the networking feature (which is the Prime's strongpoint), you'll want make sure your switches, routers, and wiring are up to snuff, as the Prime is more sensitive to networking problems than the Comcast hardware it replaces.
post #367 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I am considering this product but before I plunk down $170 to $200, what is the consensus? Is it worth it? What sort of problems are you experiencing. I'm not interested in absolute praise but honest feedback before taking the plunge.

Thanks.

At price per tuner I vote for a ceton. Since it now can do network tuners seems like the right choice. Although the host PC will need to be on.
post #368 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 View Post

Definitely worth it to me. Had initial problems with Comcast getting the CableCARD provisioned correctly, but once I worked through that, I've had almost no problems since last Fall. Ditched my Comcast boxes and DVR last November and not looking back.

The manufacturer, SiliconDust, maintains a very active support forum and provides frequent software/firmware updates as necessary.

If you plan to use the networking feature (which is the Prime's strongpoint), you'll want make sure your switches, routers, and wiring are up to snuff, as the Prime is more sensitive to networking problems than the Comcast hardware it replaces.

What were your "almost no problems?"

As far as the network goes, I have a gig network with a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH / WWDRT Router with two TRENDnet TEG-S80G 8-Port Gigabit Switches between the router and the HTPC; it is all wired with CAT5e (put in before CAT6 came out).

I only have one HTPC and there is cable at the wall where it is located but I'd rather have the tuner connected to the cable in the office which is directly off the drop from the pole with no splitters (IDK how many splitters there are to get to the living room where the HTPC is) and network it for future miniITXHTPC's under consideration for the kitchen and den but right now there's only one being used.

post #369 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

At price per tuner I vote for a ceton. Since it now can do network tuners seems like the right choice. Although the host PC will need to be on.

I know you had networking issues with the SD product and that is why I'm leary of it.

I was not aware that the ceton was network-able now. The host PC is always on. One less box on my desk and one less wart on my wall?

There's only me and my wife (finally all the little people have moved out!) and we probably don't need four tuners but you never know.

BTW, how's the return with amazon going?

post #370 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know you had networking issues with the SD product and that is why I'm leary of it. I was not aware that the ceton was network able now. There's only me and my wife (finally all the little people have moved out!) and we probably don't need four tuners but you never no.

BTW, how's the return with amazon going?

I honestly can't blame the HDHR. But thats its main problem for me. Involving the network brings up a whole other issue to troubleshoot. And as far as I could tell my network worked great for everything else. So idk if it was the HDHR or my network.

The return is still in process. The package is actually on the truck scheduled to be delivered today. They say 48 hours to process a refund. So with one day prime shipping I plan to have the ceton here by the end of the week hopefully.
post #371 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I honestly can't blame the HDHR. But thats its main problem for me. Involving the network brings up a whole other issue to troubleshoot. And as far as I could tell my network worked great for everything else. So idk if it was the HDHR or my network.

The return is still in process. The package is actually on the truck scheduled to be delivered today. They say 48 hours to process a refund. So with one day prime shipping I plan to have the ceton here by the end of the week hopefully.

Trying not to get off subject here, but I haven't looked at the Ceton Extender thread but is that an add-on device for networking or is it software based?

If you're having network issues, won't the Ceton have a problem too?

I think I have a pretty robust network set up.

post #372 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post

It won't let you do OnDemand, as others have pointed out, but I installed my right next to the Prime. With a short 2 foot drop running from the amp to the Prime.

Comcast OnDemand has just been added to the Xbox360.
post #373 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

If your CableCo requires TA for SDV, you still need the bidirectional amp. The best cable amp is called drop amp which should be less noisy than your RadioShack brands and free from your cable company. It is their job to maintain your cable signal level. If it is too low, call them up and ask for a drop amp to be installed.

The amps you buy at RadioShack or Best buy are typically useless. They do raise the signal level but also the noise level so you ended up with nothing gained. Cable Amp needs to be installed at the place before it enters into your house to get the best result. Hence it is called drop amp.

Great information. I was wondering about that but our local office is very big on charging trip charges for everything (at least that's what they claim, I still haven't had them come out for anything to see if they actually charge) so I usually do everything myself and prefer it that way anyway. I'll continue monitoring this and if I see continued problems I'll have them come install one. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 View Post

It's here. Launched today.

Go to:

Marketplace
Apps Download
Genre
Movies
Xfinity TV
Download to XBOX

Sweet! Going to install now.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #374 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great information. I was wondering about that but our local office is very big on charging trip charges for everything (at least that's what they claim, I still haven't had them come out for anything to see if they actually charge) so I usually do everything myself and prefer it that way anyway. I'll continue monitoring this and if I see continued problems I'll have them come install one. Thanks!

As long as it is on their side of the entrance into your house, there should be no charge for a truck roll.

post #375 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trying not to get off subject here, but I haven't looked at the Ceton Extender thread but is that an add-on device for networking or is it software based?

If you're having network issues, won't the Ceton have a problem too?

I think I have a pretty robust network set up.

I'm not talking about the extender. I think you can share tuners over your network like the HDHR does. And imo my network is very solid. I really don't think its the issue but idk.

You are right if the problem is my network I will still have the issue. But 95% of my tv viewing using a cablecard is done from my main HTPC. So I won't have the network issue there as the card will be internal. It will only come up when viewing in the bedroom.
post #376 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not talking about the extender. I think you can share tuners over your network like the HDHR does. And imo my network is very solid. I really don't think its the issue but idk.

You are right if the problem is my network I will still have the issue. But 95% of my tv viewing using a cablecard is done from my main HTPC. So I won't have the network issue there as the card will be internal. It will only come up when viewing in the bedroom.

Okay. I was thinking of having the tuner (whichever one I get) in my office which has a direct cable drop for my modem and networking it to my HTPC in the living room to avoid using the cable coming out of the wall in the living room that has at least two splitters in the line (and maybe even more) so I could avoid signal degradation issues. Eventually I'm going to build additional mini HTPC's for other rooms and will be using the network. Please post publically or even PM me your results with the Ceton card as I'm interested in which gives better performance in a network scenario.

post #377 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sure man no problem.
post #378 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I was looking at the ceton website and I did not see the network capability for the infinity4. Did I miss something?

post #379 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was looking at the ceton website and I did not see the network capability for the infinity4. Did I miss something?

It's a software trick. Ceton cards are actually networked device as well (they all have to be) except they are networked through USB connections (PCIe or external USB). Ceton has software that let you bridge this network connection to your LAN so that other PCs can see it. In order for this to work, the host PC where the Ceton card plugged in miust be on. With SD Prime, it is already on the network, so there is no host PC needed.
post #380 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a software trick. Ceton cards are actually networked device as well (they all have to be) except they are networked through USB connections (PCIe or external USB). Ceton has software that let you bridge this network connection to your LAN so that other PCs can see it. In order for this to work, the host PC where the Ceton card plugged in miust be on. With SD Prime, it is already on the network, so there is no host PC needed.

Okay. My PC is always on as it is usually busy with automated tasks or streaming. This is a software bridge to go through the nic instead of the USB then?

Also, My router has a USB port (for a NAS I think). Maybe the internal ceton could connect to the network at that point through USB from my PC? The USB ceton (or even the Hauppauge 2260) could connect there and would be a choice here too? Or am I asking too much? Has this been tried?

I know this is the HDHR thread and am sorry for the drift. Maybe I should have started another thread. Thanks for bearing with me.

post #381 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally, I chose the Prime solution because I didn't want to add additional heat to the inside of my HTPC case and didn't want to remove one of my PCI cards to make room. I never considered the USB version since I heard nothing but bad things about it. I also was planning to run more than 4 tuners (easy to get into if you start all programs a couple minutes early and end a couple minutes late so shows that are back to back in different channels actually require different tuners) and so Prime was the best for me.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #382 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally, I chose the Prime solution because I didn't want to add additional heat to the inside of my HTPC case and didn't want to remove one of my PCI cards to make room. I never considered the USB version since I heard nothing but bad things about it. I also was planning to run more than 4 tuners (easy to get into if you start all programs a couple minutes early and end a couple minutes late so shows that are back to back in different channels actually require different tuners) and so Prime was the best for me.

I assume that you are running the six-tuner model?

How long have you had it and what issues and successes have you had with it?

post #383 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, My router has a USB port (for a NAS I think). Maybe the internal ceton could connect to the network at that point through USB from my PC? The USB ceton (or even the Hauppauge 2260) could connect there and would be a choice here too? Or am I asking too much? Has this been tried?

That's not possible. Both Centon tuners and Hauppauge tuners must directly plug into a PC. The USB port on your router is for NAS function of the router. It can't be used in any other way.
post #384 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Prime gave me trouble at first, but now the trouble seems to just be how WMC operates. I like being able to have the prime and stupid huge tuning adapter in my network closet.
post #385 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not possible. Both Centon tuners and Hauppauge tuners must directly plug into a PC. The USB port on your router is for NAS function of the router. It can't be used in any other way.

That is what I figured..

post #386 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

The Prime gave me trouble at first, but now the trouble seems to just be how WMC operates. I like being able to have the prime and stupid huge tuning adapter in my network closet.

What sort of issues did WMC give you?

How huge is the TA? It seems that it really doesn't need to be bigger than maybe your hand but the cable company makes them bigger so that they can flip you off every time you see it..

post #387 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The cisco TA I have is almost the size of cable box (slightly thinner). It's HUGE and runs hot and crashes a lot.
post #388 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

That's just BS. If the mainstream cable boxes scorched your furniture and crashed all the time they'd do something about it, but we're the minority here so we get abused. Haha.

post #389 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The difference is you have to pay to rent the cable box. They are forced by FCC to give you the TA for free. I truely wish SDV and TAs never existed.
post #390 of 2139 Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

In theory, SDV allows for more content over the same cable.

Uverse uses it in some form too as the content is only delivered when the user requests it. I wish it was encrypted such that an m-card could decode it.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page