Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #631 of 2117 Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I only have an SSD in one of my htpc builds and only have 4gb of RAM. Should I just install a small HD to act as the liveTV buffer to save my SSD? I have a 160gb 2.5" drive lying around that I can use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2117 Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 181
That's pretty small. I have a 1TB recording drive that has about 400GB on it. Now if I only had time to watch some of it. Probably need to make some adjustments as there's a couple months of the Daily Show I haven't found the time to watch.

post #633 of 2117 Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Well it would not be my main DVR device as I have another HTPC to handle that. I was just thinking to preserve my SSD that I could put in the HD.
post #634 of 2117 Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 PM

Liked: 16
X2 Thanks......I installed the link to redirect the TV buffer and retested. My SSD's are only a couple of weeks old; that would have sucked to have one crap out early in life. eek.gif.
What's strange; I didn't see any data going into the new buffer (the same for the old).. I am not going to lose sleep over it for now; it might be an ownership issue. biggrin.gif
post #635 of 2117 Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes it would probably be better to take the buffer off of the SSD.

It may slow your tv experience a little, like skipping etc. But should prolong the life of the ssd.
post #636 of 2117 Old 08-09-2012, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post

Whiteboy714.....I use the SSD for the OS and applications (i.e Firefox). I use a POS (piece of $hit) WD 1TB Green drive's for recording. Before I got my GB swtich, I was about ready to install a1GB NIC, I was experiencing pesky "tuner not avilable" errors that were related to UPnP issuies. That is when I figured out my router wasn't forwarding some HDHR multicast frames between mixed speed NIC's. (100mb to 1GB). The Netgear Switch handles the mixed speeds without any problems; now I am a happy camper...biggrin.gif
You can slap a SSD into a E5300 Pentinum and have a decent HTPC...redface.gif

Quote:

X2 Thanks......I installed the link to redirect the TV buffer and retested. My SSD's are only a couple of weeks old; that would have sucked to have one crap out early in life. eek.gif.
What's strange; I didn't see any data going into the new buffer (the same for the old).. I am not going to lose sleep over it for now; it might be an ownership issue. biggrin.gif

Two possibilities, I know on my system If I change the drive for recorded tv (i.e. to be on the hard drive), the buffer would follow it to that drive/folder as it defaults to be in a hidden folder inside of where recorded tv is set... it would not have deleted the original SSD's recorded tv folder or the buffer folder in it so you probably still saw those around, stopped wmc services, deleted the folder, set the link on the ssd but it was never used thus your new location didn't get used, unless you happened to set the link to point to the same place that was created when you changed your recording folder. There might be manual registry changes that might change the recording drive without changing the location of the buffer but I've always just set the recording drive in WMC. The other possibility was you were basing observations on file sizes and those are generally kept the same and the date/time isn't updated as quickly as you would expect, initially one file will have the date/time of when live tv started playing and it may take a few minutes before you notice the same file or another file with a newer time. I keep a two hour buffer and I had to wait about 3 minutes before I saw a change.
post #637 of 2117 Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

If you are still missing channels, Cox has not properly activated your card and/or tuning adapter. It can take many, many tries to get this right. The people on the phone typically only know how to activate a cable card for a Tivo. They don't ask for all the info required to make it work with a HomeRun. So they may swear all is fine on their end, but that missing data will keep it from working on your end. Keep going up the ladder until it works, even if they insist on a truck roll. You may need to get SiliconDust support involved as well.

If you don't mind, is there someplace I can find "all the required data to make it work"?

I'm on Cox in Tucson with a Cisco Cable Card, and if there's more data than the two data lines WMC tells me to read off to them...I'm clueless as to what it would be.
post #638 of 2117 Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

If you don't mind, is there someplace I can find "all the required data to make it work"?
I'm on Cox in Tucson with a Cisco Cable Card, and if there's more data than the two data lines WMC tells me to read off to them...I'm clueless as to what it would be.

There is NO additional data needed for an SD HDHomerun Prime or Ceton, PC CableCARD device. Cox does not care what the device is, and it is no different than a TiVo as far as activation is concerned.

I would Call 1-877-820-8202 you will get someone in Omaha, and most of the techs there are very good.

All You need to do is Verify the following, ask them to read the numbers back to you.
CableCARD Serial #, SA/Cisco all start with PKGxxxxxx
Cisco TA Serial #, all start with SABxxxxxx

CableCARD ID: 0-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
Host ID: 0-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx

I have posted a Cisco TA troubleshooting guide at the link below:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=482537

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #639 of 2117 Old 08-10-2012, 06:32 AM

I didn't see any files being written into the SSD buffer file when watching , pausing, and recording TV. The same goes for the new HD location pointed to by the link. All my SSD installs are done from scratch (no clone)... I am wondering if W7-WMC has already moved the buffers to the secondary HD? I am going to poke around some more later next week. Dang this is fun.
biggrin.gif
post #640 of 2117 Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do you have windows set to show hidden folders?
post #641 of 2117 Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I'm confused by this thread...I installed a new SSD last night and installed Windows on it and am using my old 1TB HDD now as the dedicated recording drive. Is MC7 still using the SSD as the buffer even though I changed the recording location to be the HDD?
post #642 of 2117 Old 08-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
@ Bryan_COXPHX,

Thank you for your information. I'll work down through your links to determine what's causing the problem.

Again, Thank you!
post #643 of 2117 Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

I'm confused by this thread...I installed a new SSD last night and installed Windows on it and am using my old 1TB HDD now as the dedicated recording drive. Is MC7 still using the SSD as the buffer even though I changed the recording location to be the HDD?

In my experience, the buffer moves with the "new" recording folder (the old buffer is still there, just not used). The easiest way to check and make sure is to start live tv (windowed, not full screen) and check the date/time stamp of the buffer files should be in something like d:\Recorded TV\TempRec\TempSBE. To see the folder you may need to display hidden files/folders -- (start,computer,organize, folder and search, view tab, show hidden files & folders, ok {Edit: I think to see tempsbe you also need to uncheck hide protected operating system files} ) The date and time of at least one of the files should be close to the time looking at it. You may also want to check the "old" default location if you ever had set it up for use on the ssd (should be c:\users\public\Recorded TV\TempRec\TempSBE) and the date on those files should be the date on or before you moved the recording folder.

You may also check the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording\RecordPath but I'm not 100% positive one can use that for the buffer.

Another edit: You may need to wait several minutes and/or change the channel before you see the date/time change
post #644 of 2117 Old 08-10-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

If you changed the recording location through WMC, then it has been moved. If you followed some of the instructions in this thread about moving the buffer / recording using symlink or registry then you may not have moved the recording location.
post #645 of 2117 Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess that doing it outside WMC would only be used if for some reason you wanted to have them split?

post #646 of 2117 Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

If you changed the recording location through WMC, then it has been moved. If you followed some of the instructions in this thread about moving the buffer / recording using symlink or registry then you may not have moved the recording location.

Yep...I was poking around in WMC...I found the temp TV buffers on the HD. When I defined the HD as the destination for recordings; WMC allocated a small portion to temp TV buffers. I think if you have done a fresh install of W7 your good to go. W7 plays really nice on SSD,...It's a whole new world now. biggrin.gif
post #647 of 2117 Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I just bought a 128 gig SSD to use as a system drive. My recordings are on a separate 1 gig drive.

Last year I replaced my system drive and installed fresh. After that, my old recordings wouldn't play, due to copy protection.

If I clone my system drive this time rather than install fresh, will I have problems with copy protection?
post #648 of 2117 Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 AM

Your not likly to loose the recordings. ..I wouldn't bother cloning an HD to SSD...Do a fresh install and relax. Remeber to disconnect all the HD's when you install the OS. When your ready to configure WMC, reconnect the HD and let er rip... Life is just to short to be fooling around with a clone. BTDT. biggrin.gif
post #649 of 2117 Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your not likly to loose the recordings. ..I wouldn't bother cloning an HD to SSD...Do a fresh install and relax. Remeber to disconnect all the HD's when you install the OS. When your ready to configure WMC, reconnect the HD and let er rip... Life is just to short to be fooling around with a clone. BTDT. biggrin.gif

Well, except, like I said. The last time I did a fresh install my "protected" recordings refused to play back. Wmc thought I had moved them to another computer.

So my question stands. Has anyone replaced their system drive and not had a problem playing back their recordings?
post #650 of 2117 Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I've cloned my system drive (HDD to SSD) and not had any problems playing back existing recordings.

IMO life is too short to reinstall and reconfigure everything rather than spend a couple of minutes cloning.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #651 of 2117 Old 08-15-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

post #652 of 2117 Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The clones have it!
post #653 of 2117 Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM

It looks like the 6CC is discontinued. Very disappointing it was a nice piece of hardware.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13236
post #654 of 2117 Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks like the 6CC is discontinued. Very disappointing it was a nice piece of hardware.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13236
I read this recommended elsewhere but I had to agree.

The 6 tuner was really just two tri's slapped together. Two cablecards, two tuning adapters. But if anything fails you have to send in the whole thing.
Unless the price was way less probably better to just get two triple tuners. If one fails you still have the other.
post #655 of 2117 Old 08-16-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Yep, it would've been a great product if it was a true 6-tuner device using one Cablecard and one TA (if needed), but the 3-tuner models got cheap really quickly so there was no point to getting the 6CC.
post #656 of 2117 Old 08-16-2012, 08:13 AM

One big benefit for me is the 6CC can be in the AV or network rack. Multiple 3CCs do not install nearly as nice. I also wish they release a version with internal network switch and splitter. Multiple cable cards did not bug me.
post #657 of 2117 Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One big benefit for me is the 6CC can be in the AV or network rack. Multiple 3CCs do not install nearly as nice. I also wish they release a version with internal network switch and splitter. Multiple cable cards did not bug me.
True, but for people that need two tuning adapters hanging from it, it kind of kills that.
post #658 of 2117 Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone is interested, I cloned my C drive to my new SSD yesterday. It went without a hitch (so far). My copy protected shows all seem to play fine.
It's amazing the difference in speed. I went from taking around 8 to 9 minutes from power on to fully booted, to under 2 minutes now!

Sorry if this has been asked before: What do you guys do as far as mounting your HDHR Prime? Mine sits on top of my equipment cabinet, near the edge, one side lifted up due to the weight of the cables connected to it. It always looks like it's about to fall off.
post #659 of 2117 Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

If anyone is interested, I cloned my C drive to my new SSD yesterday. It went without a hitch (so far). My copy protected shows all seem to play fine.
It's amazing the difference in speed. I went from taking around 8 to 9 minutes from power on to fully booted, to under 2 minutes now!

Sorry if this has been asked before: What do you guys do as far as mounting your HDHR Prime? Mine sits on top of my equipment cabinet, near the edge, one side lifted up due to the weight of the cables connected to it. It always looks like it's about to fall off.
8 to 9 minutes??? What. Are you running a pentium 1?

And 2 minutes with an ssd. Those both seem really long. Maybe you have a different meaning for fully booted? Idk
post #660 of 2117 Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

No, I have a sh*tload of things that run at startup.
In addition to the normal (antivirus, etc.), I have a Firefly remote that loads software, Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive, Google Music thingy, Gmail monitor, Nvidia monitor, Teamviewer monitor, and a few others. It's my main PC but at night it's my DVR.
I use it for everything.

It's an AMD Phenom II X4 945 3Ghz with 8 gigs ram. Running Win 7 64.

If I was only using it for a HTPC, I wouldn't have most of that stuff loading.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page