post #61 of 2057 Old 11-05-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

Ordered one of these for an in-store pickup at MicroCenter ($210!) and stopped on the way home at the Verizon store to grab a cable card. Was able to get the HDHRPrime installed and the cable card activated via verizon.com in about 20 minutes. Have to finish up the WM7 setup on the HTPC, but I'm able to stream to my Win7 laptop already! Sweet!

Wow great price. I may grab a second one some day. It seems the price has come down recently, I paid $250 just a month ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2057 Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I didn't see anyone else listing it for under $249 which is why I jumped on it. Got it working on my HTPC as well, it wouldn't let me config the tuners until I had my projector on, which is connected to the HDMI port on the graphics card. Now I have to figure out if I want to build another HTPC for the upstairs TV or get an XBox as an extender. Once that's done I'll be able to run the FiOS DVR.
post #63 of 2057 Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't see anyone else listing it for under $249 which is why I jumped on it. Got it working on my HTPC as well, it wouldn't let me config the tuners until I had my projector on, which is connected to the HDMI port on the graphics card. Now I have to figure out if I want to build another HTPC for the upstairs TV or get an XBox as an extender. Once that's done I'll be able to run the FiOS DVR.

Fios dvr? What am I missing, aren't you trying to ditch that?

Amazon has the prime right now for $229. Does fios make you get a tuning adapter? This is kinda what makes me not want to get a second prime I think I will need a second tuning adapter. The one from TW is twice as big as the prime
post #64 of 2057 Old 11-05-2011, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MC shows the list price as $229 so maybe its dropped?

I was anxious to buy 3 months ago, now I am willing to wait to see what shakes out from BF, and/or CES in Jan.
post #65 of 2057 Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Does fios make you get a tuning adapter? This is kinda what makes me not want to get a second prime I think I will need a second tuning adapter. The one from TW is twice as big as the prime

Fios doesn't use tuning adapters. And yes, you'll need a 2nd tuning adapter.
post #66 of 2057 Old 11-06-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

Fios dvr? What am I missing, aren't you trying to ditch that?

Oops, change "run" to "return".

Quote:

Amazon has the prime right now for $229. Does fios make you get a tuning adapter? This is kinda what makes me not want to get a second prime I think I will need a second tuning adapter. The one from TW is twice as big as the prime

No, no TAs with FiOS.
post #67 of 2057 Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford View Post

MC shows the list price as $229 so maybe its dropped?

I was anxious to buy 3 months ago, now I am willing to wait to see what shakes out from BF, and/or CES in Jan.

I see that, and its still on sale for $209.With tax though for me that put its at about $230.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgod View Post

Fios doesn't use tuning adapters. And yes, you'll need a 2nd tuning adapter.

Yah I figured, that sucks. Oh well I'm doing good with 3 tuners right now.
Quote:

Oops, change "run" to "return".

No, no TAs with FiOS.

Ah ok that makes more sense.
post #68 of 2057 Old 11-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
For those using this with TWC, did you get a tuning adapter? I'm looking into taking the plunge and getting one of these to replace my STBs.
post #69 of 2057 Old 11-08-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

For those using this with TWC, did you get a tuning adapter? I'm looking into taking the plunge and getting one of these to replace my STBs.

Yes I'm in SoCal (OC) and they require a tuning adapter here. The thing is pretty big man, like twice the size of the prime. They brought it when they brought the cablecard. I had to do an install because I didn't have cable at the time. Only internet.
post #70 of 2057 Old 11-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Which cablecard did you get from TWC? I see that they offer a Tru2Way cablecard. Does this let you view on-demand channels? Also have you tried to use it with ppv events? I normally buy ppv boxing/ufc so would want to make sure I can still view these.
post #71 of 2057 Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Which cablecard did you get from TWC? I see that they offer a Tru2Way cablecard. Does this let you view on-demand channels? Also have you tried to use it with ppv events? I normally buy ppv boxing/ufc so would want to make sure I can still view these.

There is no way to use interactive/on-demand/iPPV content on an OCUR device, like the HDHR Prime (or a Ceton InfiniTV). If your provider allows you to order via phone, then it will generally work, however that is somewhat provider-specific.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #72 of 2057 Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

There is no way to use interactive/on-demand/iPPV content on an OCUR device, like the HDHR Prime (or a Ceton InfiniTV). If your provider allows you to order via phone, then it will generally work, however that is somewhat provider-specific.

Yah its my understanding that you can get ppv but you need to call in. Like stated above all the other ondemand and stuff is lost.
post #73 of 2057 Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

A tuning adaptor is VERY location specific. I'm also in SoCal (West Hollywood), and they don't use tuning adaptors here. Even my local TWC office doesn't know what's going on. They gave me a tuning adaptor with the card. When the tech guy came, he told me that we don't have SDV here and won't for some time.

I returned the adaptor along with my DVR last week.
post #74 of 2057 Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

A tuning adaptor is VERY location specific. I'm also in SoCal (West Hollywood), and they don't use tuning adaptors here. Even my local TWC office doesn't know what's going on. They gave me a tuning adaptor with the card. When the tech guy came, he told me that we don't have SDV here and won't for some time.

I returned the adaptor along with my DVR last week.

Thanks, guess I'll find out once I place my order. Which kind of cablecard did you get? Also are you able to access all of the HD premium channels?

Sorry for being a bit off topic but I just want to make sure I don't miss out on stuff. Don't care about on-demand since I don't use that.
post #75 of 2057 Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 PM

I ordered from JR for $200 about a month ago. Listed for $250 but when I called the rep said it's $199 in his system so I said ok. I wasn't going to argue with him.
post #76 of 2057 Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by androgelrx View Post

I ordered from JR for $200 about a month ago. Listed for $250 but when I called the rep said it's $199 in his system so I said ok. I wasn't going to argue with him.

Heck yah I wouldn't have either.
post #77 of 2057 Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 AM

I held the box in my hands last night at MicroCenter, looked it over a bit, but didn't buy.

My HTPC isn't ready for family consumption yet, working out various flaky details, and I am seriously questioning what I want to watch that isn't clear channel. "TV" is fast losing its appeal to me.
post #78 of 2057 Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford View Post

I held the box in my hands last night at MicroCenter, looked it over a bit, but didn't buy.

My HTPC isn't ready for family consumption yet, working out various flaky details, and I am seriously questioning what I want to watch that isn't clear channel. "TV" is fast losing its appeal to me.

If your happy with ATSC its much cheaper to go that route. Depending on what you already have in place. I'm the opposite I don't watch much on broadcast tv.
post #79 of 2057 Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If your happy with ATSC its much cheaper to go that route. Depending on what you already have in place. I'm the opposite I don't watch much on broadcast tv.

I am in a similar boat. I watch a lot of broadcast and cable tv. Also need cable for sports. Hoping to be joining the HDHR3 Prime owners list sooner than later.
post #80 of 2057 Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Thanks, guess I'll find out once I place my order. Which kind of cablecard did you get? Also are you able to access all of the HD premium channels?

Sorry for being a bit off topic but I just want to make sure I don't miss out on stuff. Don't care about on-demand since I don't use that.

To my knowledge there is only ONE type of cable card available (I know they keep talking about some kind of two way card, but I haven't heard of anyone who has gotten one).

As for the tuning adapter, don't expect the person on the phone or at the counter to know. I went to my local office (about one mile away) and they gave me one. When repeated attempts to activate the card failed, they sent out a tech. He was the only one who knew I didn't need the tuning adapter.

How could the people who hand out equipment in my area not know they don't use SDV? Broccoli!!!
post #81 of 2057 Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM

Time warner seems to keep the techies separate from the salies, and even more so keep the "real" techs away from customers.

For the best tech support find out where employees have to go outside to smoke and hang around.
post #82 of 2057 Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Question, if I have the HDHRP and 3 tuners fromother HDHRs how should I set up my recordings? I thought the limit was 3 streams for a 7200RPM hard drive so with 6 tuners I'm wondering if there is a way in WMC to split what hard drive is being used to record from a specific tuner.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #83 of 2057 Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Question, if I have the HDHRP and 3 tuners fromother HDHRs how should I set up my recordings? I thought the limit was 3 streams for a 7200RPM hard drive so with 6 tuners I'm wondering if there is a way in WMC to split what hard drive is being used to record from a specific tuner.

3 HD channels are nothing. I have all 6 streams from my InfiniTV 6 recording to a single HD without issue. HD is ~15mbps. 15*6=90mbit/sec / 8 = 12.5mbytes/second.

A modern HD can easily do 60+mbytes/sec

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #84 of 2057 Old 11-12-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Renethx posted some info where he tested 4 recordings on a 5400rpm drive and he said 5 would have worked fine but he didn't have any more tuners. I record 3 programs with the prime onto a samsung 2tb f4 and it works fine.
post #85 of 2057 Old 11-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Is it best to place these recordings on a separate drive that doesn't have your OS installed? In one of my htpcs I have a single 640gb WD Black drive and was thinking of placing my recordings there. I do have a spare 1.5TB lying around that I could use as well but I thought I could save me the trouble of installing it by using my current drive.
post #86 of 2057 Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it best to place these recordings on a separate drive that doesn't have your OS installed? In one of my htpcs I have a single 640gb WD Black drive and was thinking of placing my recordings there. I do have a spare 1.5TB lying around that I could use as well but I thought I could save me the trouble of installing it by using my current drive.

I personally always prefer to have my os on a small partition say 50 gigs. Then if something happens and I need to reinstall windows the media on the rest of the drive is untouched. You can also use the shrink function in disk management to do this while windows is already installed. But sometimes it doesn't like to shrink it as much as you would like.

But there should be no issue recording onto the os drive. 640gb will fill up fairly quick.
post #87 of 2057 Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah I bet 650gb will fill up quickly but I can always transfer any shows I want to keep to my NAS. I normally just watch and delete afterwards.

Typically when recording an HD show, how much space would a 2 hr movie take up?
post #88 of 2057 Old 11-12-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks to be about 6-7 gigs an hour. But yah if you stay on top of stuff and delete what you watch you can probably make the 640gb work pretty easily.
post #89 of 2057 Old 11-12-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Some of the dedicated A/V drives I have seen like the one I put in one of my DVD/Hard drive recorders claim they can handle 10 streams of data if that makes anyone feel better. I doubt the older WD drive I put in it is 7200 rpm either but don't remember, it does run cool enough and has been in service with one recorder or another here since about 2007.
post #90 of 2057 Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Some of the dedicated A/V drives I have seen like the one I put in one of my DVD/Hard drive recorders claim they can handle 10 streams of data if that makes anyone feel better. I doubt the older WD drive I put in it is 7200 rpm either but don't remember, it does run cool enough and has been in service with one recorder or another here since about 2007.

So what is so special about those drives? I tend to think its just marketing, or do they have some sort of special interface?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page