Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Is there any reason other than DLNA to install the 20130328 f/w and services app? My Prime is running great right now (read: error free) and am not seeing a reason to upgrade as I don't have any DLNA devices to connect with and so long as there is no EPG or DVR I don't see the point at this time.
If you are not having problems, I would stay put if you don't want to play with DLNA. You have nothing to gain and lots to lose with the Prime's inability to downgrade firmware. 

That said, I am NOT having issues with the latest release, but I only updated to this release because I was having issues with the previous release.  With the previous release I was having sporadic issues with WMC not finding available tuners and/or getting no signal messages when attempting to watch live TV requiring a Prime tuner (although WMC would always find the OTA and QAM tuners, and the background recordings from any tuner never missed a beat, even when WMC was actively displaying tuner errors on the prime).

I had not experienced any of those tuner issues prior to the January release. With the January release, I had to reboot about once week to regain access to the Prime and was getting annoyed.  Since updating to the latest release, these issues have appeared to have stopped. 

I haven't had those sorts of issues with the January f/w so I'll just stick with it for now. I don't have a group of tuners to deal with either, only the Prime, so I wonder if that may have had something to do with your issues as well?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I experienced the dreaded "video device driver" and subscription issue with live TV last night with the new firmware. Been running it for about a week now. Rebooted and I was fine again. Also wondering if it has anything to do with the recalled microsoft update that was released on Tuesday (security update 2823324). Plan on uninstalling it later today.
Quote:

With the previous release I was having sporadic issues with WMC not finding available tuners and/or getting no signal messages when attempting to watch live TV requiring a Prime tuner (although WMC would always find the OTA and QAM tuners, and background recordings from any tuner never missed a beat, even when WMC was actively displaying tuner errors).

I had not experienced any of those tuner issues prior to the January release. With the January release, I had to reboot about once week to regain access to the Prime and was getting annoyed.  Since updating to the latest release, these issues have appeared to have stopped. 
Old 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 296
A couple of weeks ago I posted with the problem of getting a No TV Signal message every day at 12:00PM. A Dell utility was causing the problem. I updated the original post with more information here.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post

I experienced the dreaded "video device driver" and subscription issue with live TV last night with the new firmware. Been running it for about a week now. Rebooted and I was fine again. Also wondering if it has anything to do with the recalled microsoft update that was released on Tuesday (security update 2823324). Plan on uninstalling it later today.
Quote:

With the previous release I was having sporadic issues with WMC not finding available tuners and/or getting no signal messages when attempting to watch live TV requiring a Prime tuner (although WMC would always find the OTA and QAM tuners, and background recordings from any tuner never missed a beat, even when WMC was actively displaying tuner errors).

This is why I generally wait two or three days after the updates are issued before I actually install them.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

A couple of weeks ago I posted with the problem of getting a No TV Signal message every day at 12:00PM. A Dell utility was causing the problem. I updated the original post with more information here.

I saw that over at the SD forum. I'm glad you got it fixed.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just watched Live TV in PS3. It works great!!!

Hopefully PS3 will build interface where its easy to change channels and view the guide. Right now its scrolling only.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So Windows Media Player is also considered a DLNA client. If one were to have an SDHR Prime would they be able to watch live TV through the Prime via Windows Media Player?

EZed
Old 04-13-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yes and no. Copy protected channels only work on the compliant systems like the PS3.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:05 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by edyohome View Post

So Windows Media Player is also considered a DLNA client. If one were to have an SDHR Prime would they be able to watch live TV through the Prime via Windows Media Player?

I have a HDHomerun dual and I just tried it through Windows Media Player. It works but it looks like the only way to change channels is to switch to library (first screen) and select the desired channel. I only spent a few minutes trying this so there may be more to it but it does work.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Yes and no. Copy protected channels only work on the compliant systems like the PS3.

I have the Ceton tuner and Im evaluating whether to get a Prime or not. Or maybe wait to see if Ceton will enable DLNA on their tuner . Either way I would need support of viewing copy protected files so doesn't look like this would help me right now. Guess Ill try back later.

EZed
Old 04-17-2013, 05:44 AM

Liked: 10
I am interested in purchasing a homerun hd prime but I have a few questions before I buy. First does the DLNA stream allow for streaming of live TV? Say for example if can I watch no kidding live NBC on a DLNA compatible device such as Xbox 360 or Blu-ray player that supports DLNA? If I am using CableCard with Comcast and use DLNA live streaming how would I change channel? Would I have to change the channel through a PC/Laptop?

Thank you
Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

You can use the Xbox as a Windows Media Center Extender and have access to the guide and all your recordings on the main HTPC.

As far as DLNA goes, it is my understanding that each channel appears as a "folder" that you open and you have to scroll through the folders. I do not know if the Xbox does DLNA but the PS3 does for sure.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post

I am interested in purchasing a homerun hd prime but I have a few questions before I buy. First does the DLNA stream allow for streaming of live TV? Say for example if can I watch no kidding live NBC on a DLNA compatible device such as Xbox 360 or Blu-ray player that supports DLNA? If I am using CableCard with Comcast and use DLNA live streaming how would I change channel? Would I have to change the channel through a PC/Laptop?

I use it on Comcast with a Panny BD player for live HD channels over wired, works fine. Wife also uses it on her Kindle Fire with Skifta and VLC beta, SD channels only via WiFi.

Channel changing is very ugly, there are two folders - one for unprotected cable, one for premium cable. In these is usually a long list of channels you scroll through to select the one you want to stream. No different than streaming a video in other words, you can't punch in a channel number to change channels - have to scroll to what you want.

Yes it's not that great and biggest flaw of DLNA right now (and you don't get program guide etc.). SiliconDust knows this and is supposed to be working on solutions, probably with one or more partners.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

As far as DLNA goes, it is my understanding that each channel appears as a "folder" that you open and you have to scroll through the folders. I do not know if the Xbox does DLNA but the PS3 does for sure.

Can't really take a screenshot from my PS3 and a little surprised there isn't one on Google, but there are usually only 2 folders. One for Copy-Free and a different one for Copy-Once.
  • Cable TV
  • Premium Cable TV

Premium didn't even show up on my PS3 (haven't upgraded f/w to latest including DTCP-IP)

Example from VLC - will look similar
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post

First does the DLNA stream allow for streaming of live TV? Say for example if can I watch no kidding live NBC on a DLNA compatible device such as Xbox 360 or Blu-ray player that supports DLNA? If I am using CableCard with Comcast and use DLNA live streaming how would I change channel? Would I have to change the channel through a PC/Laptop?
  1. Yes, in fact it the prime firmware will only support livetv at this time (recordings can be added to Plex or some other DLNA sharing method like WMC)
  2. With Comcast, you will be able to watch pretty much every channel on a whole bunch of DLNA devices (not just PS3) except for the premiums (hbo, cinemax, etc)
  3. As slowbiscuit mentioned, you'll have to issue a "stop" and scroll to another channel to "start" (actually I've never tried using the PS3 to go "back" and simply "switch")
  4. I forget that DLNA used to be commonly initiated from a computer, i.e. go to a video -> right click -> choose "stream-to" device
  5. I've always initiated playback from the "device" rather than the "computer" and I'm not well versed in how to do this from your HTPC
Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Interesting, my VLC doesn't look anything like that. EDIT - I see why now, that's on Mac or Linux.

DarkSlayer, you have to attempt to open the HDHR Prime first, then the ability to open DTCP-IP will appear in the settings. It won't be there until you've tried it. Strange, I know.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

DarkSlayer, you have to attempt to open the HDHR Prime first, then the ability to open DTCP-IP will appear in the settings. It won't be there until you've tried it. Strange, I know.
I see. Somewhere in the course of my experiments the DTCP-IP option appeared in settings, but it won't "enable" unless I upgrade to whatever the latest firmware happens to be

At the same time, I don't need it since all the channels in our subscription already appear in the Cable TV folder
Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I do not know if the Xbox does DLNA but the PS3 does for sure.

The Xbox can receive DLNA content, but it can't browse it. You'd need to use something that can browse the content, then send it to the Xbox. I've heard that Bubble UPnP on an Android device can do it, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Quote:

I do not know if the Xbox does DLNA but the PS3 does for sure.

The Xbox can receive DLNA content, but it can't browse it. You'd need to use something that can browse the content, then send it to the Xbox. I've heard that Bubble UPnP on an Android device can do it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Or you can just use it as a WMC extender.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 AM

If you are using xbox as a Media Center Extender and decide to use xbox Live to stream available Verizon FIOS content, how is that accomplished? Is it all done with the xbox? Do you need an app running on another?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 AM

Liked: 27
The FIOS app on xbox is entirely separate from the extender functionality. It relies on the xbox and xbox live to work, as opposed to the extender functionality which relies on the HTPC running WMC to work.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

And Xbox live requires a periodic extraction of funds from you to M$ to work doesn't it?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:15 PM

Android version of InstaTV Pro is out.

See here:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14875

Works with all current models of HDHR, except premium channel.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:

And Xbox live requires a periodic extraction of funds from you to M$ to work doesn't it?

What other options are there for streaming these contents without the xbox and M$?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contsi View Post

Quote:

What other options are there for streaming these contents without the xbox and M$?

Any of the legacy extenders (Linksys and HP, basically) and the echo.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:

I think he's talking about streaming DLNA contents - of which Linksys, HP and Echo won't do. It takes a DLNA client to be able to do what he's speaking of. XBox happens to be the only device that is both. The question is would you have to pay the XBox Live fee to stream DLNA or would that be free? A way to check it I suppose would be to see if XBox can to connect to your Windows Media Player server. If it works there then it should likely work with the SDHR Prime.

EZed
Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyohome View Post

Quote:

I think he's talking about streaming DLNA contents - of which Linksys, HP and Echo won't do. It takes a DLNA client to be able to do what he's speaking of. XBox happens to be the only device that is both. The question is would you have to pay the XBox Live fee to stream DLNA or would that be free? A way to check it I suppose would be to see if XBox can to connect to your Windows Media Player server. If it works there then it should likely work with the SDHR Prime.

First off I was addressing this comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contsi View Post

If you are using xbox as a Media Center Extender and decide to use xbox Live to stream available Verizon FIOS content, how is that accomplished? Is it all done with the xbox? Do you need an app running on another?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewbert View Post

The FIOS app on xbox is entirely separate from the extender functionality. It relies on the xbox and xbox live to work, as opposed to the extender functionality which relies on the HTPC running WMC to work.

At any rate, the discussion was also about the FIoS app which is nice to run on the Xbox I suppose but if you have an HDHR Prime I would assume you have at least one PC being used with it and that using the FIoS app on the Xbox would not be too smart as you can just use it as an extender for WMC to get all but PPV and VOD.

I didn't see anywhere that the DLNA functionality of the Prime was being discussed but that doesn't mean it wasn't but rather that I didn't see it.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 PM

If I have a nas drive can I set the hdhomerun prime to record channel x and keep the pc off and record directly to the nas?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

If the PC is off it will not record to any drive but using mapped or network drives is not recommended for recording, especially copy protected content.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

If the PC is off it will not record to any drive but using mapped or network drives is not recommended for recording, especially copy protected content.
Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought. If I stream live TV to my DLNA supported device then I don't need a PC on correct?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 59
One of the problems with the Ceton and I am guessing the current HD Prime is that their tuners are not quite the equal of the better cableco boxes or what is is a Tivo. For example the same signal that can send the Ceton into a pixelated Rosharch test plays just fine on my Tivo HD. I know there is new Pime coming as well as a new ATSC Silicon Dust tuner. Word has it that the tuner in the ATSC device is improved. Any word or guess on wether the new Pirme will also have more robust tuners with better sensitivity and noise rejection? I would really like to see something more robust that what we get today. I know, all the fault lies with Comcast's or whoever your provider is, but that answer doesn't change the fact that some device just deal with the real world better than the Ceton, which i know for sure and the Prime judging from what I have read of this thread.

I would have no problem adding one or more of the new Primes to my infrastructure if they were really better mouse traps when they ship.

Just another blank signature.