1Likes

post #1531 of 2056 Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

Of the 4 Xbox 360's I use as extenders half refuse to boot into WMC even though they are set that way. They did at first & they still do from time to time when they feel like it but not consistent the way it should. This is especially frustrating when I have guests staying w/us or someone house sitting while we're out of town. I've tried changing settings, rebooting & changing back several times to no avail. Quite frustrating.
Maybe the PC running WMC needs more memory. Each extender uses a certain amount of local resources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2056 Old 05-24-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Of the 4 Xbox 360's I use as extenders half refuse to boot into WMC even though they are set that way. They did at first & they still do from time to time when they feel like it but not consistent the way it should. This is especially frustrating when I have guests staying w/us or someone house sitting while we're out of town. I've tried changing settings, rebooting & changing back several times to no avail. Quite frustrating.

Does your system satisfy the hardware requirements for extender use? i.e. 1 CPU core and 1Gb or RAM per TV connected?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #1533 of 2056 Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Due to increases in core power, you can probably get away with less cores per extender but the RAM recommendation is still pretty valid.

post #1534 of 2056 Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

...You cannot run WMC on a mac as it is a Windows program but you can run MythTV I believe for a PVR program. If you go with mac you lose the extender capability of the Xboxen altogether. If you want extenders you need an HTPC running Win7Home at least, Win7Pro preferred...
Sammy what I believe he's talking about doing is using Bootcamp on the Mac Mini with Windows 7/8 loaded in a dual boot system. I've done that, works great and the Mac Mini is a sweet looking small form factor HTPC!
gadgetfreaky likes this.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #1535 of 2056 Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The OP did not explicitly state that though so I was clarifying it. Although the mac mini is small, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just use the NUC?

post #1536 of 2056 Old 05-24-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Quote:

Does your system satisfy the hardware requirements for extender use? i.e. 1 CPU core and 1Gb or RAM per TV connected?

Quad-core w/12GB RAM. Four TVs connected and it's rare that we have two on at one time let alone all four. It's somewhat common for us to be recording several HD shows at a time sometimes while streaming another movie/show. I just ordered up a new router and while I was comparing specs to my original I see that my current router doesn't allow for Jumbo Frames. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my issues or not.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #1537 of 2056 Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Sammy what I believe he's talking about doing is using Bootcamp on the Mac Mini with Windows 7/8 loaded in a dual boot system. I've done that, works great and the Mac Mini is a sweet looking small form factor HTPC!

Quote:

The OP did not explicitly state that though so I was clarifying it. Although the mac mini is small, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just use the NUC?

yes, sorry I was going to do mac mini, bootcamp w/ windows 7/8. Lots of folks suggest that setup.

NUC is underpowered for transcoding MKV files I thought? most people on AVS use the mac mini b/c of it's horsepower. most do plex media for transcoding. But plex doesn't do live TV frown.gif if it did it'd probably be a favorite amongst many over WMC.
post #1538 of 2056 Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Quote:

Quote:

yes, sorry I was going to do mac mini, bootcamp w/ windows 7/8. Lots of folks suggest that setup.

NUC is underpowered for transcoding MKV files I thought? most people on AVS use the mac mini b/c of it's horsepower. most do plex media for transcoding. But plex doesn't do live TV frown.gif if it did it'd probably be a favorite amongst many over WMC.

One warning worth noting: you cannot use a Mini DisplayPort to output HDCP protected content in Windows Media Center. If I recall, they have been offering HDMI on the minis for awhile now, which should be okay, but some models have Mini DisplayPort, which could be a serious problem. (You will not be able to display HDCP protected content externally, even with a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter due to a longtime issue with WMC. The impact will depend on how your cable provider has the channels you watch configured.)

I am a longtime Mac user and I run WMC on a MacBook with Bootcamp to capture recordings from my HDHR Prime for the time being, but I would be reluctant to get a Mac Mini for HTPC use. You will have to keep it in Windows most if the time, so you'll miss out on the Mac experience, but still have to pay the Apple tax. You can get much better bang for your buck with something else and the Mini is not very expandable, but you can probably make it work if you're willing to pay a premium for the form factor, as long as you can get all of the drivers you need for the hardware under BootCamp. I would specifically investigate audio output options for the Mac model you plan to use. I seem to recall hearing of some issues outputting HD audio codecs via Mac Minis, but that may have been under Mac OS.
post #1539 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Mine works exactly as it does with my my other quad core pc. I loved it and the only reason I'm not using it anymore is due to extender unreliability and WAF. I just decided DirecTV is best for now to keep everyone happy until my contract runs out and all this xbone stuff gets sorted out. I upgraded the mini to 10GB memory and am including the silver Bluetooth keyboard and iHome Bluetooth mouse free with the already installed Bootcamp of Win7. It's for sale if anyone's interested?

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #1540 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Where did you get this information? It has an Ivy i3 or i5 processor. The i3 can transcode fine but why transcode on the HTPC when you can do it on another PC? Why are you transcoding at all? If you are only transcoding to one or two clients I think the i3 should do fine but you also need to consider the number of extenders you may be using. If you need more, get an i5 NUC.

post #1541 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Not to change the subject, but what does NUC stand for? Anyone have a link? God knows I need more crap to play with and stress over! tongue.gif

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #1542 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Not to change the subject, but what does NUC stand for? Anyone have a link? God knows I need more crap to play with and stress over! tongue.gif

Sent from my Nexus 7
Next Unit of Computing
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0093LINVK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

They have not released the i5 or i7 versions, they have 2 i3 versions, and a celeron version.
post #1543 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 AM

I was thinking of this as an build to use with the prime, but it's a lot of money. If someone released Mac compatible prime dvr software, I would much prefer it...
HTPC Build

Hardware:

$280 Intel nuc i3
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Computing-Gigabit-i3-3217U-DC3217IYE/dp/B0093LINVK

$5 Cables Unlimted 6-feet Mickey Mouse Power Cord
by Cables Unlimited
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-6-feet-Mickey-Mouse/dp/B000234TYI/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

$25 Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth Retail
by Intel
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-6235AN-HMWWB-Centrino-Advanced-N-Bluetooth/dp/B007QXLIWI/ref=pd_sim_e_2

$125 Crucial m4 128GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT128M4SSD3
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-128GB-mSATA-Internal-CT128M4SSD3/dp/B0085J17KA/ref=pd_sim_pc_2

$16SANOXY® Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY®-Windows-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369414420&sr=1-1&keywords=mce+ir+receiver

$155 SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME CableCard TV 3-Tuner HDHR3-CC (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-CableCard-3-Tuner-HDHR3-CC/dp/B004HKIB6E/ref=pd_sim_e_4

* 8gb memory (reused from my 2011 iMac)
8.0GB OWC Memory Upgrade
2 x 4.0GB 1333MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM PC10600 204 Pin
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/1333DDR38S08/

* recycled Logitech USB wireless mouse/keyboard (for setup)

* 1tb LaCie USB 2.0 drive

* lg 37"720p tv (hdmi)

* SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR-T1-US Single Networked High Definition Digital Television (Windows7 Certified / Compatible)
http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHR-T1-US-Definition-Television-Compatible/dp/B002PQ4XWI/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369414753&sr=1-12&keywords=Hdhomerun+tuner

SOFTWARE

$135 Windows 8 Professional System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit
by Microsoft
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-System-Builder-64-Bit/dp/B0094NXBZ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1369414960&sr=1-2&keywords=windows+8+system+builder

$10 Windows 8 Media Center

$100 VideoReDo TVSuite with H.264
http://www.videoredo.com
post #1544 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

post #1545 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Nope, it is not released yet. I think I read summer, so any time. Hopefully the new prime 4 will be released by then as well (to bring the thread back on topic.)

I do wonder if my build above is worth it vs buying a Mac min & windowi, I am considering both.
post #1546 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdmoore View Post

$16SANOXY® Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY®-Windows-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369414420&sr=1-1&keywords=mce+ir+receiver
FYI, that remote doesn't use standard Media Center codes. I have one and it works fine on my HTPC with the included IR receiver but it won't work with extenders or any other Media Center IR receivers. The mouse control works well and it has a pretty good range. I actually like the button layout and feel of that remote better than my Harmony 520, but it's not back-lighted. The close button is right below the[*] key so it's easy to hit accidentally when direct entering sub-channel numbers in a dark room.
post #1547 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

FYI, that remote doesn't use standard Media Center codes. I have one and it works fine on my HTPC with the included IR receiver but it won't work with extenders or any other Media Center IR receivers. The mouse control works well and it has a pretty good range. I actually like the button layout and feel of that remote better than my Harmony 520, but it's not back-lighted. The close button is right below the[*] key so it's easy to hit accidentally when direct entering sub-channel numbers in a dark room.

Considering that I have an xbox 360 in the same room, the non-standard codes might not be a bad thing. Good to know, thank you.
post #1548 of 2056 Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Yes, that one use the Ortek protocol, totally different than RC6, and an excellent choice if you want to avoid conflicting codes. If you use JP1 or pronto hex, let me know and I can post the codes. This is especially useful for the mouse codes as they are essentially unlearnable. One thing I did have to do to mine is put electrical tape over the LED. That sucker will light up a room.
post #1549 of 2056 Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Anyone here using a Prime with an SDV Tuning Adapter? I have had my prime for a while but haven't used in a bit so haven't revisited my issues, but now that it is getting warm out I need to look at again (I have an outdoor setup where I am using my HTPC for Live TV). The issue I run in to is every few days I lose access to most of the channels, I need to physically unplug the Tuning Adapter and Prime, replug, and then everything works. I had the Tuning Adapter replaced but the issue persisted. I know using an SDV TA seems to add unnecessary issues, so was wondering if anyone else is using, and if so, how it has gone

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #1550 of 2056 Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Anyone here using a Prime with an SDV Tuning Adapter? I have had my prime for a while but haven't used in a bit so haven't revisited my issues, but now that it is getting warm out I need to look at again (I have an outdoor setup where I am using my HTPC for Live TV). The issue I run in to is every few days I lose access to most of the channels, I need to physically unplug the Tuning Adapter and Prime, replug, and then everything works. I had the Tuning Adapter replaced but the issue persisted. I know using an SDV TA seems to add unnecessary issues, so was wondering if anyone else is using, and if so, how it has gone

I am using the prime with a TA on Charter. The prime and TA have been rock solid for me unlike the Ceton USB tuner. Wisdh I could be of more assistance.
post #1551 of 2056 Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a prime with TA on Charter as well. I need to reset about every six to eight weeks but it runs solid in between. You said that you havent used it in a while. What f/w is it on? What signal levels are you getting where the Prime is located?

post #1552 of 2056 Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked: 13
I had a problem with my tuning adapter when I moved it upstairs to another cable outlet. It would tune in non premium channels but not premium. Turned out the catv signal was borderline since it was split at the outlet I was using. Put in a RS digital broadband amp and haven't had a problem since. You may want to try an amp.
Quote:

post #1553 of 2056 Old 05-29-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post

I had a problem with my tuning adapter when I moved it upstairs to another cable outlet. It would tune in non premium channels but not premium. Turned out the catv signal was borderline since it was split at the outlet I was using. Put in a RS digital broadband amp and haven't had a problem since. You may want to try an amp.
Quote:

I know using an SDV TA seems to add unnecessary issues, so was wondering if anyone else is using, and if so, how it has gone

I'm on Charter as well, using two TA's. N issues at all with them (Cisco somethings). I have had weak signal issues with one of my Primes, but nothing with the TA's. But I don't know how that can help you.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #1554 of 2056 Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post

The signal is actually fine, just something happens where I need to reboot both the Prime and SDV TA every couple of days to get it working again. I have already replaced the SDV TA so I am tempted to pick up another Prime to see if in fact the Prime is the issue

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #1555 of 2056 Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

hi folks,

i suddenly have a problem viewing HD channels on my homerun prime. Everything was working correctly. Then to enable MKV playback i installed the shark007 codecs. After that i get massive stuttering on hd playback. The strange this the stuttering continues even after i unstalled the codecs. So i'm not sure if the codec package has caused something or whether it's a coincidence. However HD channels are not watchable. SD is fine.

Signal strength is at 85%. So i don't think it's a weak signal. Please help.

I have the problem whether it the HD quick view program or WMC.
post #1556 of 2056 Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It's probably not the shark007 codec pack. If you installed the 32-bit then configured with recommended settings followed by 64-bit with recommended settings, then it's pretty fool proof. The recommended settings will ask if you use LiveTV to prevent breaking WMC. The latest codec pack even has an Echo radio button on the MKV tab.

FWIW, on the earlier Mac mini discussion, yes bootcamp works great and the 2011+ have HDMI out, so HDMI is not an issue. The only problem is storage. So I just rolled out a Synology DS411slim (super small energy efficient NAS) and record straight to an iSCSI target. No problem recording 6 shows and watching two so far. I have it configured in 4 basic disks so I get the full 4TB capacity.
post #1557 of 2056 Old 06-26-2013, 04:14 PM

Just bought an HDHR Prime and am noticing an issue that I can't find any information on. I recently moved to Columbus, OH from Cincinnati and decided to go with a tv tuner instead of a DVR set top box to cut costs without losing the ability to record shows. I read great things about the HDHR Prime and decided to purchase. The problem is that the picture is definitely not as sharp as with a regular set top box. The picture isn't pixelated or blocky..just very "soft". Text has an obvious "jaggedness" to it. If I had to compare it to something, it would be the picture quality of netflix just before it hits HD. I have 3 displays that I use and all of them look the same. I'm not sure if this is a time warner issue, HDHR issue, network issue, or PC issue. Signal strength and quality are 100% and I have run TCPOptimizer. Is there anything I can tweak or change to improve the picture quality WITHOUT changing display settings?
post #1558 of 2056 Old 06-26-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbartos View Post

Just bought an HDHR Prime and am noticing an issue that I can't find any information on. I recently moved to Columbus, OH from Cincinnati and decided to go with a tv tuner instead of a DVR set top box to cut costs without losing the ability to record shows. I read great things about the HDHR Prime and decided to purchase. The problem is that the picture is definitely not as sharp as with a regular set top box. The picture isn't pixelated or blocky..just very "soft". Text has an obvious "jaggedness" to it. If I had to compare it to something, it would be the picture quality of netflix just before it hits HD. I have 3 displays that I use and all of them look the same. I'm not sure if this is a time warner issue, HDHR issue, network issue, or PC issue. Signal strength and quality are 100% and I have run TCPOptimizer. Is there anything I can tweak or change to improve the picture quality WITHOUT changing display settings?

You should list your PC spec's specifically the CPU and/or GPU and RAM. The OS should be listed too. What channel(s) is this on also? What f/w is the HDHR Prime on? What resolution are you set to on the PC?

post #1559 of 2056 Old 06-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Specs for my pc are:
-Intel Core i5 2400 3.10 Ghz quad core
-4GB DDR3
-Nvidia GTS 450 1GB
-Windows 7 Home Premium

Forgot to mention: I'm using my xbox 360 as an extender for viewing on my main tv..this is my main display when using the tuner. Each of my displays is 1920x1080 and all show the same symptoms. My network is all ethernet wiring running off a linksys wireless router. I'm not inclined to think that its a display issue..other HD content is crisp and clean.
post #1560 of 2056 Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Well my recordings look as good as anything live from my box. I use video redo 4 to edit and convert the captures to MKV becuase my media players like it and it's slightly smaller then the original WTV format.
I don't have a Xbox or any other extender here other then just playing captures over my gig network to my media players later. Maybe something to do with the way the Xbox works and plays back your files.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page